Can you log an entry as both "Needs maintenance" AND get credit for a found cache?

No.

They are separate logs. You need to do one of each.

Re-visits and posting a NM log is one reason why it does not count as a "find". Having re-visited means that you have already "found" it.

Re-visits occur when you introduce others to caching, or re-visit to place/retrieve a trackable, etc. -- in which case, you would post a "note", not another "found it", anyway.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi! I just logged my first cache as "needs maintenance" and am disappointed that now it isn't showing up in my account as a found cache. Did I do something wrong, or do you have to choose one or the other? Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I couldn't find it...

Don't fret. Just go back and log it as a found. It's OK to have two logs. I'll log a found first, then I'll go back and add a note or needs maintenance, etc.

I did find a cache today, but it was muggled. Or removed for the winter but not archived. It was under a tree and there was a depression in the earth. Next to that was a couple of flat rocks that would have covered the cache.

I found it but there was no container and therefore no log to sign. I looked around a bit but didn't find it. It was muggled. Can I log it as a found? I did post a "needs maintainance" however.

not understanding what you found if there was no container, nor a logbook. Maybe am just not understanding what you meant.

early in my caching days, I probably logged a few "found it" logs when there was just a few pieces of evidence of it. Up to you what you feel is a "find" and what the CO will allow of it.

I did find a cache today, but it was muggled. Or removed for the winter but not archived. It was under a tree and there was a depression in the earth. Next to that was a couple of flat rocks that would have covered the cache.

I found it but there was no container and therefore no log to sign. I looked around a bit but didn't find it. It was muggled. Can I log it as a found? I did post a "needs maintainance" however.

Technically,, this doesn't make any sense. If was muggled, missing or removed for winter, then it wasn't there and you did not 'find' it. This would most appropriately be logged as 'did not find' with a note about what you just posted. Then maybe even a 'needs maintenance ' log after that.

If there were a website that tracked depressions in the ground, you could certainly log a find there. :laughing:

Seriously, though, what did you actually find? Did you find a cache? If the answer is "no", then stating on this website that you found it would be incorrect, and possibly misleading. Saying you found it could imply to the CO that the cache is just fine, when it may not be. The best thing to do would be to log a DNF to alert the CO to the possibility that the cache may be missing.

IF this is a find - then what would possibly constitute "Did Not Find"?

Finding where the cache possibly used to be is not a find. It is a "Did Not Find." Log it as such and don't worry about it - DNF happens.

IF YOU DID NOT FIND A CONTAINER WITH A LOG AND SIGN IT,

YOU DID NOT FIND IT !!!

a DNF is actually a more important log, over not logging any thing at all,

the evidence you think you found, can lead to solving a case and get it maintained or fixed.

when it is fixed, or you maybe hear from CO, the cache is not there, but some where else,

then go look again for it, if you like.

If you dont sign the log you can't claim a find.

Edited by Walts Hunting

No container, no log book = no cache.

Getting to the coordinates does not constitute finding the cache.

A "Needs Maintenance" log is somewhat presumptuous. You would need to find the container to know if it needs maintenance.

Post the DNF, which you experienced (Did Not Find).

B.

No container, no log book = no cache.

Getting to the coordinates does not constitute finding the cache.

A "Needs Maintenance" log is somewhat presumptuous. You would need to find the container to know if it needs maintenance.

Post the DNF, which you experienced (Did Not Find).

B.

+1 If you don't find it or enough pieces of it then it's a DNF, I have many times found what I felt was where a cache should be only to be proven wrong. There is nothing wrong with posting a DNF.

That is what I was thinking all along. I will then post a DNF and state what I did find. That may help things. I am conviced that it is the location of the cache however. The depression was the size and shape of a small LnL. It would have been under a flat rock as far as I can figure. Or not. Doubt it would have been out in the open but maybe that is how it is. The depression was filled with water with the recent melt of snow so perhaps the CO pulled it for the winter but did not archive as such.

It was archived a few minutes after I DNFed it. CO is away on business but will check up on it on his return.

Are you sure you don't mean it was disabled? If the CO archived it, there's no point in "checking up on it" unless he's going to pick up the remains.

Sometimes really evil COs will hide a red herring near their cache. Container in an obvious location. Usually the fake hide (called a red herring) contains a taunting note. Other times a CO will place a UPS or a URP near GZ to put seekers off the scent. In each of these cases, no log =no signature=no smiley for you and I. IMHO, this is a poor practice, since some seekers could mistake the red herring container for an actual cache and "help" the CO by placing a log sheet. Confusion ensues. Fortunately, this practice is rare.

It was archived a few minutes after I DNFed it. CO is away on business but will check up on it on his return.

Are you sure you don't mean it was disabled? If the CO archived it, there's no point in "checking up on it" unless he's going to pick up the remains.

Maybe "disabled" then. The cache has a red line through it now, whatever that means, disabled or archhived... He stated he was out of town on business; and maybe he will place a new cache at the same site if that is needed. Or not and abandon the cache. I am not local to that area so there is no way for me to check other then seeing if it becomes "available" again.