A Replacement for MobiPocket is Here!

Lil Devil

Got it working with my iPAQ and Avantgo.

Now I am a paperless geocacher. icon_biggrin.gif

I did have problems getting the pages on the iPAQ after syncing if I left the images turned on. icon_redface.gif It appeared to be something with Avantgo and I believe on of the caches that had a java/animated image on it icon_confused.gif .

With images off, it worked great. Didn't really need them anyway.

Ken

I posted version 1.2.2 late last night. Among the changes:

• Unicode characters are now converted, where possible, or removed. Thanks to AllenLacy for pointing me in the right direction. icon_smile.gif

• Added list of nearest caches (within 5 miles) to each cache page. Thanks to Brian Scearce for the code. icon_smile.gif

• Removed "Cache" from the end of the cache type.

• Don't report non-fatal errors, such as when deleting old files.

• Now has better "alt" text for when you don't include graphics in your Plucker/iSilo/AvantGo file.

• The modified cache type-codes (GC, MC, VC, etc.) are now used on the HTML pages. icon_cool.gif

• Added Index by Cache Type.

• Added Indexes of hints and encoded logs.

A couple of those need elaborated upon.

The list of nearest caches made it necessary to place all the cache pages for a given GPX file into a unique folder. This is so that if two people submit overlapping GPX files at about the same time, their cache pages (and therefor the list of nearest caches) will not be overwritten by the cache pages for the other GPX file. Because of this, you must update the URL in your Plucker/iSilo/AvantGo configuration! There are specific instructions in red on the results page.

The indexes of hints and encoded logs were added so the Link Depth could be reduced in Plucker/iSilo/AvantGo. Personally I want to include images, because this cache had me stumped until I went out there with the picture, and 8 megs goes a long way when I only use my PDA for geocaching. By reducing the link depth, I can allow off-site links, and it won't follow normal links on the cache page, but it will include images that are hosted off-site. Confused? Don't worry. It will continue to work with the previous settings. But using some slightly different settings, you may get better performance.

As always, please let me know if you experience any problems.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:

http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net

It's supported CSV for a long time and S&T2003 support was added just a few weeks ago.

Thank ye agin!!!

Now we rock!

An' then I read that th' l'il devil be a' i' agin...more improvements...ye better quit befer I owe ye a whole case o' beer!! Wait a min'te, I thin' I alr'dy do!

Now one Li'l thing, don't ye think we should stop tellin' anybody else 'bout this...if i' becomes too popul'r...yer server may git o'erloaded!...

Shhhh everyone...i' can be our li'l secr't!!

Keep yer sail 'igh, 'nd move swiftly,

:D Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats

There are 2 steps given after the query is spun and the files readied for d/l. The implication is that they are ordered instructions--do step 1, then do step 2. But if I'm directing Plucker to the URL/file (in red) in step 2, why do I need to d/l the file in step 1?

oops. The second step is to get the HTML pages to plucker. But still, why step 1. What can I do with that file?

don

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

There are 2 steps given after the query is spun and the files readied for d/l. The implication is that they are ordered instructions--do step 1, then do step 2. But if I'm directing Plucker to the URL/file (in red) in step 2, why do I need to d/l the file in step 1?

oops. The second step is to get the HTML pages to plucker. But still, why step 1. What can I do with that file?

don

It can be used to load the waypoints into your GPS through Easy/Expert GPS

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I just used GPXSpinner for the first time -- what an awesome tool!

What are most of you using for Plucker settings? I am finding that setting it to go down only 2 levels is useless ... going down 3 levels gets most of the caches but misses a couple ... going down 4 levels makes it go completely nuts.

I'm working with a fairly large set, 465 caches.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

What are most of you using for Plucker settings? I am finding that setting it to go down only 2 levels is useless ... going down 3 levels gets most of the caches but misses a couple ... going down 4 levels makes it go completely nuts.

I'm working with a fairly large set, 465 caches.

You need to go to 4 levels to get the hints. 465 caches does sound rather largish. If I go for 100 or 200, Plucker is sufficiently plucky.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

If Plucker is picking up hints at 3 levels then I probably have to eat my words. Yup, I found Lil Devils instructions and he said Plucker needs 3 levels...you guys were right.

By way of compensation for my confusion, I also spotted on the same page why ScottJ may be missing some pages at 3:

"Also note in Plucker your should set the Retrieval order to Breadth first because Plucker sometimes misses pages when using Depth first"

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Hi all,

Call me a complete dufus, but we've been trying since last weekend to make our Sony Clie work (other post). We do have Avantgo and would like to continue using it. I see that some folks here have had success using it. I've been on the receiving end of "same old questions" for over 5 years on my other hobby board (saltwater marine) so hopefully someone here can "give back" some info that is probably second nature to ya'll. No doubt I need my hand held from step one. I don't even know which query to select from Groundspeak. Do we use the loc? the gpx? The ebook? We've got all 5 queries checked and hopefully we've got one "winning combination."

I've got my Sony Clie. I've got Avantgo. I have a somewhat vague idea of how to direct it to the website to retrieve...But, actually I'm totally lost. I know most of you are "updating" from Mobipocket but we've never used that. Starting from ground zero, could someone here please help?

My wife just gave up and went to bed. icon_frown.gif It's almost 4 in the morning... I've been trying to do this without bothering anyone for complete "dummie" info... But I promise to pass the torch once I have the information! icon_wink.gif

If someone doesn't mind - either post here or email me... I have no idea on what to do - how to upload to my Clie. Please don't markwell me unless it's the complete procedure for dummies. I've been looking but I don't understand. I've always been quite fine with the printouts - it gives the kids something to hang onto and "feel important," but too often I'm the dummy who leaves the binder home. icon_frown.gif I'm sorry I'm rambling... It's been a long day and I've been working at this for too long. icon_confused.gif

I really feel bad, because I know some folks get irritated by the "same old question." I hope someone can take a bit of time to help me along... Again, I'll be passing the info on to others once I know how... Thanks so much!

Cheers.

P.S. as thanks I can send an awesome photo we use as our desktop - it's of two trigger fish we have - a Picasso trigger and a Clown trigger - it's a beautiful pic of a slice of marine reef - rare to get a pic of two right next to each other! Of course, I'd send it gladly to anyone who would like it even if they can't help. And if any of ya ever want to do a saltwater tank I can help you from the ground up - today's natural reef ecosystem is actually less maintenance than a freshwater tank! No kidding! Well, I'm gonna check out because I can barely keep my eyes open... Thanks again.

Cheers

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

E-mail should arrive shortly. I choose to use Plucker, but originally had it set up on Avantgo with my Clie' T665C, & works OK there as well. I'll explain how via e-mail, as to not go back & forth here, & clutter up the thread.

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Many thanks to Gimpy for the patience of walking a first-timer through this and also to the Lil Devil for a great application. We've always kept a binder full of hard-copies, and that was part of the fun for us. But I've had that darn Clie and thought it would be nice to get some of its inner gears working. icon_wink.gif

I hope I'll be able to help future Clie/Avantgo users out. The link-level enables the hints at level 2, but does not display them at level 3. Go figure. After several tests to the Avant channel page we found that 2 is what works. I'm not sure if this is for all Avantgo users with the Sony Clie - but it's worth pointing out in case anyone else is trying to figure out "what gives."

If you're already using Avantgo, it's really easy to do - Gimpy wrote the most understandable directions out and it's a piece of cake.

Thanks again to all! icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

Many thanks to Lil Devil, and all who helped to put together GPX Spinner.

After a week of reading through the instructions for Plucker and a couple of hours of minor (very minor) frustration, I was able to get everything to work. Now I don't know how I managed without it.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Would it be possible to set up Spinner to spin a complete GPX file and have it seperate out our unfound caches, our own caches, and the ones we've found? All in one spin? It gets better. Then not include found and owned caches in the count of the nearest caches on the single cache page? They would be listed, but don't count against our 5 (10?) nearest caches, is what I'm trying to say.

Thanks for considering it!

Also, what the status of the automated, emailing, Pluckerized Spinner? I've been looking foward to it.

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Also, what the status of the automated, emailing, Pluckerized Spinner? I've been looking foward to it.

I don't know about LilDevil's progress. But I have rough prototype remailer, which will accept email with a GPX, do spin (with code I wrote), convert it to plucker file and optionally a wpt file (can be loaded straight into Garmin's Mapsource software) and send it on. It is in beta, while I figure out how much of a load it puts on the email server I use. Not sure if I can afford to open it to the world. The current beta testers are a few of the members of the Georgia Geocachers Association But if anyone wants to look at code I am willing to send a copy.