You might not be into numbers if...

briansnat

Have you spent a day of caching with other cachers even though you've already found all or most of the caches on their agenda?

If yes you might not be into numbers.

Have you ever stopped in a parking lot or rest area and noticed a cache less than 200 feet away chose not to hunt it even though you were not pressed for time?

Have you ever accidentally walked right past a cache and decided not to go back for it even though it wasn't far?

Do you have one or more caches within a mile of your home that you have no desire to find?

Have you ever driven or walked up to within 100 feet of a cache and realized it was not the sort of cache you enjoy and continued on your way without making an attempt to find it?

If so you may not be into numbers.

Have you ever found just a few cache in a park but left the rest unfound because you had seen enough of the park?

If yes, you might not be into numbers.

When someone asks about your find count do you usually have to look at your profile because you don't remember it?

Do "milestone" finds like 100th, 500th, 1,000th have no meaning to you?

If so you might not be into numbers.

Is finding 5-10 caches in a day your idea of "power caching"?

If yes then you might not be into numbers.

Would you rather spend 5 hours hunting 1 cache than 1 hour finding 5 caches?

Do you enjoy multi caches and really don't think about only getting one find for multiple stages?

Have you ever been on a group hunt and not logged a find on a cache because you didn't feel that you contributed enough to the hunt?

Have you attended an event in a cache rich park, but left without single find because being off hunting caches would have interfered with socializing?

If you have you might not be into numbers.

Have you done only 3-4 caches and called it a day on a 100+ cache power trail?

Edited by briansnat

Have you --snip--

From the person who told another cacher they were deluding themselves for what they considered a find this thread is somewhat ironic. Seems if you were truly not into numbers then what someone else considers acceptable to make their numbers increase by one would not give you any pause.

I have found myself in most of the situations that you have listed. Yet I still acknowledge that on some level that numbers are important to me.

--snip--

Fantastic list. Much food for thought. I have skipped many a cache for many of the reasons you have outlined.

Add: Have you ever solved a puzzle cache but didn't bother looking for the container because you could tell from the satellite view that it was in an unsatisfactory location? --- Yes.

I guess not. I didn't keep track of how many yesses. Only recall one no. Can't figure out why you wouldn't go back to the park multiple times to find a few more caches and explore every hidden nook there. But then, by park I think of open space, not baseball fields. And now I have a residual vague feeling of disappointment over several read-my-mind-or-PAF at waypoint X multiple hiders that caused me to drift away from that style of hide.

You weren't asking for results none of it matters anyway. :)

On my closest first 3 pages of 60 caches, I have found 15 of them. About 5 are mine, and I adopted one. And some of them have been there for YEARS! And years. Some of them I drive right by all the time. It's not much of an adventure if I have to cache in my own neighborhood, in places I pass every day, or if I have to go downtown to the city next door, and drive in traffic.

--snip--

Fantastic list. Much food for thought. I have skipped many a cache for many of the reasons you have outlined.

Add: Have you ever solved a puzzle cache but didn't bother looking for the container because you could tell from the satellite view that it was in an unsatisfactory location? --- Yes.

LOL Where there is the clincher. I've lost count of how many puzzles I have solved and left unfound. More than a dozen, for sure. I also solve interesting puzzles from distant places I will likely never get to visit to log as a find.

Interesting questions!

Have you spent a day of caching with other cachers even though you've already found all or most of the caches on their agenda?

Fairly often.

Have you ever stopped in a parking lot or rest area and noticed a cache less than 200 feet away chose not to hunt it even though you were not pressed for time?

A few times, not many.

Have you ever accidentally walked right past a cache and decided not to go back for it even though it wasn't far?

Yep.

Do you have one or more caches within a mile of your home that you have no desire to find?

Yes, indeed.

Have you ever driven or walked up to within 100 feet of a cache and realized it was not the sort of cache you enjoy and continued on your way without making an attempt to find it?

That happened to me today. It happens once every caching day, on average.

Have you ever found just a few cache in a park but left the rest unfound because you had seen enough of the park?

Yes, fairly often.

When someone asks about your find count do you usually have to look at your profile because you don't remember it?

I generally remember it in round numbers, but not the exact count.

I don't generally choose a "special" cache to look for when a milestone is approaching. My 1,000th cache was the only exception.

Yes, with a few rare exceptions. My max for one day is 31, in a town I'd never been to before and with a whole day to roam.

Absolutely!

Do you enjoy multi caches and really don't think about only getting one find for multiple stages?

Sure.

Have you ever been on a group hunt and not logged a find on a cache because you didn't feel that you contributed enough to the hunt?

That's happened a couple of times.

--Larry

I can say yes to many of those. "have I ever..?" Yes But "Do I always...?" No. I like most kinds of caches if I'm prepared and know what to expect. Some days I find enjoyment in a long hike or paddle with very few finds. Or hiking, biking, paddling with others even though I've found most of the caches on that trail. I almost never know my 'exact' find count. But I also like spending a long day with friends driving around talking about everything under the sun and oh by the way, finding a lot of caches along the way. The only caches I don't like are the puzzles that I can't solve but I just ignore them and don't get worked up about it.

So I guess on some days I'm a numbers cacher and on other days I'm not. I guess I go both ways. :D Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not usually. A few not most.

No way!

Not if the next one is closer.

I tell myself I don't care, but really just can't figure them out. The unpleasant ones, I eventually break down and go for.

Nope, I'll go for any LPC, GRC or junkpile.

Been end-to-end in parks I don't like at all.

Are you serious?

Yes and no.

I have boosted myself to 20+ in a day, but mostly am happy with about 3 an hour.

Most days I only get 2 or 3 hours.

When it's something special for challenge or place.

Yes.

No. I'm always in the hunt.

Have you attended an event in a cache rich park, but left without single find because being off hunting caches would have interfered with socializing?

Not really.

Well. 20 or 30.

I guess that makes me numbers, but not good at it!!

Someone asked me in another thread, if numbers aren't important, then explain the "cached in 16 states" line under my avatar. That's easy. Places I've been are important to me. :D

I'm so behind in logging my finds, it's not funny.

I started to follow up on that post this morning but ran out of time before I had to go to work. I've found caches in 22 states (and 13 countries). In 12 of those states I've found 3 or fewer caches. As you said, places are important. How many caches I find in those places, not so much.

Someone asked me in another thread, if numbers aren't important, then explain the "cached in 16 states" line under my avatar. That's easy. Places I've been are important to me. :D

I'm so behind in logging my finds, it's not funny.

I started to follow up on that post this morning but ran out of time before I had to go to work. I've found caches in 22 states (and 13 countries). In 12 of those states I've found 3 or fewer caches. As you said, places are important. How many caches I find in those places, not so much.

And pointing out how many places you've been at every opportunity means nothing either? Right?

--snip--

LOL Where there is the clincher. I've lost count of how many puzzles I have solved and left unfound. More than a dozen, for sure. I also solve interesting puzzles from distant places I will likely never get to visit to log as a find.

I think once I have done this, and the puzzle was pretty easy. However, there have been 5 or 6 puzzles, all listed as micros, that I've strongly suspected were going to end up being parking lot skirt lifters, and I flat out asked finders (all of whom I know very well) if my suspicions were correct, and they were. That saved me from even bothering with the puzzles.

Well, the list certainly incurred the wrath of CX1 and Jumpin' Jsck Cache. So far, at least. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Once, that I can remember but there are not a lot of regular cachers around here

Yes, a couple of times, but I've passed by a lot of rest areas where there are caches. I'm not sure this is a real good metric because typically if I've stopped at a rest stop, and I am not in a hurry to get to my destination I'll go look for a cache, especially if it's not listed as a micro. The log books at rest stops can be fun to read. I found in Maryland and when I read the logs I saw that it was logged a few days earlier by someone that lives fairly close to me and it was owned by someone I had met about three weeks earlier at a Night Only cache.

Many times.

Yes, definitely, although I usually get around eventually to finding most of the nearby caches. Again, the answer to this one may depend a lot on ones local caching environment. The percentage of caches that some might consider lame is pretty low around here. At one point a couple of years ago I took inventory and figured out that there were only 3 LPCs within 20 miles of where I live.

Have you ever driven or walked up to within 100 feet of a cache and realized it was not the sort of cache you enjoy and continued on your way without making an attempt to find it? Again

Yes, frequently. I've also done a half hearted search for caches and decided it wasn't worth my time to search for than a minute or so.

Yes, but it was usually more a matter of how much time I had available, and even the largest parks around here might only have 1 or 2 caches at the most.

I frequently have to look at my profile to know exactly what my find count is but I can almost guess within 10 or so.

I counted milestones up to my 1000th find. The most telling part though is that it took me a little over 3 years to reach 1000 finds, It's been almost two years since that happened and I've yet to reach 1100 finds.

Pretty much. It's been a long time since I've found more that 5 in a day and that was in Barcelona when I spent the entire day riding a rental bicycle to see the sites. Depending on where one lives, finding 10 or more caches might require traveling quite a distance. For others, they might not have to travel more than a mile or two from home.

Yes, though I don't recall ever spending five hours for just one cache.

I've never had any desire to log more than one find per GC number.

Hasn't happened to me but I've only been on a handful of group hunts and always tried to contribute as much as possible.

Have you attended an event in a cache rich park, but left without single find because being off hunting caches would have interfered with socializing? I have encountered another cacher that just found a cache and handed me the container but didn't have any qualms about signing the log and logging the find (mostly so I could write in my log about meeting another cacher) because it's happened so infrequently.

N/A. Never done a power trail.

Never.

Yes, several times due to way too many muggles.

No, I left something at a cache once and back tracked over a kilometre to find it though.

Yes, several, most are puzzles, I hate puzzles.

Almost, most times I get to a cache I hate I give it 5 minutes then leave.

Yes, I lost my trail map, it was a larger heavily treed park, spent too much time bushwhacking so after 3 hours I called it quits.

Sometimes, especially after drinking.

They all have meaning, I have pictures of every single cache I have found and in iPhoto they are in folders of 100.

No, my record is 65 caches, 64 I found on a 12 mile walk around a lake with a good friend and my son.

I'd rather spend 5 hours hunting 1 cache than 1 hour finding 5 caches, in fact I've spent a lot more but most the 5+ hour caches around here are deep under snow so I spend 5 hours finding 25 caches till the snow melts.

Edited by Roman!

Not really, I do enjoyed trying to find the final without finding any stages based on area map and any clues in logs and/or pictures.

Never.

I only attended the Ape event last year, we walked the tunnel at 4 in the morning, hiked to geocache at 7 am, showed up at the event about 12, signed the ape, bought some swag and drove back to Canada, again with my son and a good friend. I was my favourite day of geocaching so far. I found 14 caches that day.

I did 15 and called it a day only because the wife and kids were at a nearby lake and I only had 2 hours.

If Groundspeak did away with all stats would you still cache? I wouldn't, I enjoy looking at my stats, not just finds, but streaks, terrain, etc., I like the numbers and if I want to reminisce then I have pictures, 1000s and 1000s of pictures.

PS: briansnat, what is your view on FTFs? I only have 35 :laughing:

Edited by Roman!

If Groundspeak did away with all stats would you still cache?

Without a doubt!

What really strikes me as weird about that question is, why do you need to have Groundspeak keep track for you? Counting isn't exactly rocket science.

For the stats fans: Is it your own stats that are important to you, or is it seeing other people's stats and having other people see yours?

To me my own stats are interesting — but not essential to my enjoyment of caching. And seeing other people's stats, and having others see mine, not very interesting at all.

Edited by Doctroid

I know i'm not into the numbers (well, except that i do like to keep my stats accurate).

For instance, i had to make a choice just the other day. There is a 3.5/5 difficulty cache about 60 miles away that i have already tried for once without success. It lived up to it's name with the ratings and has been on my mind ever since. I was wanting to go after it again on Wednseday but my friends wanted to make a numbers run up north where there are about a gazillion caches placed. Without a doubt, i would have picked the hard cache over the bunch of easier ones but there was one more thing that entered into the picture which made the decision harder. Enjoying the company of those good friends.

I ended up doing the numbers run (had a great time with my friends and even found a few good caches too) but i have to say that i'd have chosen the challenging cache if it had been up to me..

have most of the caches within 20 KM of my home cleared out, but if I really wanted numbers, I would drive further and get bigger pockets...so I disagree with that one.

Personally if I drove by the ET highway, I would do one cache and call it good. Somewhere in between 60 and one before the end.

Well, the list certainly incurred the wrath of CX1 and Jumpin' Jsck Cache. So far, at least. :lol:

My post was wrathful? :unsure:

Disagreeing with an opinion or premise does not necessitate an emotional obligation in one's response.

Usually when one truly does not care about something they don't discuss it, join discussions about it or start forum threads about it.

Numbers can be important to someone without it being the apex of their geocaching activity or enjoyment. I would contend that very few if any geocachers participate in the activity strictly for amassing a group of numbers.

Two words... bonus cache. Or is that two finds? Ironic.

Know what? I love my stats. I go geocaching for me and my own enjoyment. I don't get wound up about others cheating themselves to up their stats anymore (multiple logs for an event). It is their problem. I do look at some folks stats and love the stats generators and how people display various stats on their profile pages (I do that too). I've planned almost all of my milestone finds, some months in advance. I seek out special caches specifically for them most of the time. I've worked hard to find a cache placed in every month since the beginning of geocaching. I missed three days last year to complete finding a cache on every day of the year. I am setting Outlook alarms this year so I don't miss them again. I was one of the first people to find a cache in every state in the contiguous US and was working on that long before it was cool. I even know the dates I've passed smaller milestones in individual states for heaven's sake. I've loved going out on number runs and I've loved spending an entire day doing a difficult single cache. I've enjoyed solitary days out caching all day and I've loved spending all day with groups.

The beauty of geocaching is that you can love the numbers if you want or you can just find a cache here or there. It is your game to play the way you want to. Go play, go enjoy and don't let others make you feel bad about how you choose to geocache as long as you do it within the guidelines. Period. I learned this a long time ago. It is still true today.

If you have a criteria of caches you skip based on easiness, simplicity, and/or location - GRIMs, LPCs, PTs, all urban caches, all caches rated less 1.5/1.5 or less, micros, etc - you're probably not in it for the numbers.

You can also be somewhere in between "about the numbers" and "not about the numbers". I'm friends with a couple who just hit 4000 caches in a year with the aid of the Route 66 PT and ET Highway Redux (and they did the old ET Highway before). But they've also section-hiked parts of the AT and I've hiked with them several times.

Or consider myself: I'm very interested in statistics. I like to show my stats; I like to see the stats of others. The record Find counts by the Alamoguls and Snooks of the world interest me - like a NFL player setting records interests me - but even if I was retired I wouldn't even try to go for their numbers. I do care about filling my D/T and Calendar grids and boosting my D/T average. I try to make my milestones something special. I go for Challenge Caches. I often chose parks/preserves/trails that are "cache rich" environments. I go for Letterbox Hybrids despite not having an ink stamp because they're not micros but also because they have a different icon thus decreasing my percentage of Finds that are Traditionals. My idea of hitting a power trail is spending an entire day hiking a cache-rich section of the Florida Trail in Ocala National Forest. I skip lots of caches - GRIMs and LPCs in particular - and go for parks and preserves. I solve many puzzles. I love Multis and Virtuals and Earthcaches. I log Benchmarks and Waymarks. My hides have a reason for being there and not a skimpy cache page. I often write long logs on my Finds. I enjoy the Finds; I enjoy the Experience.

Edited by Joshism

When challenges first came out I did the kiss the frog one in my bathroom, when I found it added to my cache total I quickly deleted it. Just curious how many did something similar or at least banned challenges for that reason.

If you did then it is about the numbers.

When challenges first came out I did the kiss the frog one in my bathroom, when I found it added to my cache total I quickly deleted it. Just curious how many did something similar or at least banned challenges for that reason.

Challenges add to your found caches totals? That's news to me. I don't do challenges because they aren't caches so I'm not interested.

Challenges add to your found caches totals? That's news to me. I don't do challenges because they aren't caches so I'm not interested.

Originally they did till countless people protested and they removed them from your find count.

They do not add to your geocache finds. They are separate. They show on your profile page and they show next to your geocache find count on caches if you log them. I've found 12 so far and have created 3 so far.

I keep track of my stats. I like to work toward goals like the D/T challenges or DeLorme or county challenges. I like seeing the caches checked off the map, but I'll skip and ignore a cache that I wouldn't like. I do this not to get stats but to complete goals. I could care less about anyone else stats. I may look at them, but I don't know if they have the same standards for logging finds as I do. That means trying to compare their stat to mine is like comparing apples and oranges.

I like my stats. I want to see my stats, but if they were taken away tomorrow I would still go caching. I don't cache for the numbers.

They do not add to your geocache finds. They are separate. They show on your profile page and they show next to your geocache find count on caches if you log them. I've found 12 so far and have created 3 so far.

When they first came out they did add to your find count. Lots of people complained and I think it was only a few days later they were removed from your find count and counted seperately.

Here's a question, how many times does one have to visit catcherstats.com before you could say numbers matter?

I never even heard of that.

Take the T out and have a look, it ranks all cachers with over 200 finds in the world or based on country or state.

I'm ranked 22735 in the word but moved up almost 1000 today.

Edited by Roman!

Here's a question, how many times does one have to visit catcherstats.com before you could say numbers matter?

I never even heard of that.

Take the T out and have a look, it ranks all cachers with over 200 finds in the world or based on country or state.

I can now say I've been there once. I won't go back.

All that is meaningless. (see my post above)

Do you spend an inordinate amount of time on the forum putting down people who are "into the numbers"?

Have you ever read a post like this, then went back and reread the whole thread, just so you could try figuring out where the aledged put downs were, (must've missed 'em the first time around), only to realize your initial assumptions were correct and there were none?

If so, you probably wasted at least three minutes of your life thanx to hyperbole disguised as fact. :lol:

I can answer yes to most of your questions, but I have to say I am very interested in my own numbers.

I don't care about anyone elses numbers, but I do enjoy watching mine grow. I also try to keep track of my own milestones.

I learned very early in this game that how people play, and how much time they have to play varies so much that comparing numbers with anyone else is fruitless.

Also it does seem the more someone cries about it's all about the numbers, the more the numbers seem to matter to them.

If you like the numbers game, more power to you. Do what you can to increase them and enjoy sharing that with others that like the numbers. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the numbers, don't let someone else bother you when they do. Same with FTF, multies, puzzle caches, challenges, and all the other parts of this game that some like and some don't.

I like to hunt caches, if there are ten in the same park, why would I not look for all of them? And if I did, why would you assume it must be for the numbers? For some of us, the box in the woods is the main goal. Having the box bring you to someplace special is a bonus. :anibad:

So is spending the weekend in a city to find mostly puzzles and ignoring most of the traditionals that are close to you count as not going for numbers?

Oh and don't look at my stats when you answer that!!!

Are you finding mostly puzzles because the traditionals in the area are all MIA because if they weren't you would have found them already?

PS: I did look at your numbers.

So is spending the weekend in a city to find mostly puzzles and ignoring most of the traditionals that are close to you count as not going for numbers?

Oh and don't look at my stats when you answer that!!!

Are you finding mostly puzzles because the traditionals in the area are all MIA because if they weren't you would have found them already?

PS: I did look at your numbers.

No they are there and no I haven't found them yet. Probably a few hundred or more traditionals.

I slowed my caching down after I jumped ship.

P.S. I am not talking about my area.

Edited by jellis

I do care about filling my D/T and Calendar grids and boosting my D/T average.

Funny this came up...

A couple of weeks ago, my other 2/3rds asked if, "We could go hit at least one today. We've never found a hide on this date."

- something I'd never think of.

She has her own account that started from her collecting WAY too many coins. Now that she's going after the higher terrain hides too, her account has a super-high D/T rating, while our shared account has a lower D/T rating from all the urban micros she usually hits before/after work.

What's it mean to me? Nothing.

I'm known for skipping caches all around one I have my eyes on - that's just how I play.

- Now if only I could find them...

So I guess you could say 2/3rds of our team is into the numbers and the other third is holdin' her back. :laughing: