Please help me with the log-in.

BrownMule & Jackrabbit

Don't markwell me because I know there are 100 threads on this subject. I keep hearing that the log-in problem is fixed. I continue to have log-in problems. I'm using one computer and one browser (IE6). I check remember me in the forums and every time I go to the site I am directed to the log-in page again. Even after a few minutes of being away. I have the proper settings in IE to accept cookies and have no problems with other sites. So if there is something I am doing wrong please help me to do it right.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

I think it has to do with the fact that the cookie expires after forty minutes from the time it was issued. I don't understand why this feature cannot be eliminated. If someone connects to the site and walks away from their computer they are not eating bandwith, so whats the reason for the time outs?

Maybe I am wrong...Won't be the first time but hearing from someone who knows these things would be nice icon_smile.gif

Kar

When I sign on I'm logged into the geocaching pages but not the forum.

In the old days I'd click "Log in" in the forums and it would figure it out and log me in without typing in my info.

Now I click login and it does 'nothing' then I do it again and I have to enter everything.

Each time I load my browswer it's starts all over.

I am not trying to complain, just wondering why it is changed.

Heck, the only thing I know about Bandwidth is what size of band I need to get around something I am tying up.

And a server? That is the person who brings the food.

Other then that, Turn the darn thing on and hope it works.

logscaler.

"It is not fair to have a battle of wits with unarmed people."

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

In the old days I'd click "Log in" in the forums and it would figure it out and log me in without typing in my info.

Now I click login and it does 'nothing' then I do it again and I have to enter everything.

EXACTLY! icon_frown.gif

Now can someone tell us what we are doing "wrong"? (Or, more likely, fix it.)

quote:
Originally posted by BrownMule:

Don't markwell me because I know there are 100 threads on this subject. I keep hearing that the log-in problem is fixed. I continue to have log-in problems. I'm using one computer and one browser (IE6). I check remember me in the forums and every time I go to the site I am directed to the log-in page again. Even after a few minutes of being away. I have the proper settings in IE to accept cookies and have no problems with other sites. So if there is something I am doing wrong please help me to do it right.

Have you tried deleting all the geocaching.com cookies, and clearing you cache?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

EXACTLY! icon_frown.gif

Now can someone tell us what we are doing "wrong"? (Or, more likely, fix it.)

I just started having the same happen to me yesterday.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

I too am still having problems and the one little twist that I notice is that after logging onto the main page and clicking on 'discuss geocaching', the forum page comes up and I'm not logged in, I click on log-in and the status bar shows that something is being done, but the screen doesn't change, I click on log-in again and then I get the form asking for my id/password.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

I too am still having problems and the one little twist that I notice is that after logging onto the main page and clicking on 'discuss geocaching', the forum page comes up and I'm not logged in, I click on log-in and the status bar shows that something is being done, but the screen doesn't change, I click on log-in again and then I get the form asking for my id/password.

I'm getting this and also when I go from My cache pge to a search page it says I.m not logged on.

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

Sounds like I've been having the same problem as everyone else here. One thing I just found though - clicking on the geocaching.com discussion link brings me into the forum, and automatically logs me in.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

I've been having issues all along but seems to be working well since Sunday. I make sure to do some navigation on the home page instead of just diving into the forums via the "Discuss" button. Seems to work find then...

~robert

Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I'm still having random log in problems. At odd moments/pages I will be logged out. Then of course I have to log in. Annoying at the moment. Clicking on the discussion link did not work for me. I don't see how it can be a time out issue since it will happen anywhere from 2 minutes to several hours after I've opened to the geocaching.com page and left it open.

I thought Sunday was the worst day in a while (like a week). I had to login seven times yesterday. I ended up QUADRUPLE logging a single cache, and the website wouldn't let me delete the extra logs. I guess the cache owner got around to deleting them, though, because they're gone now.

Please help with this. I didn't have any log in problems until recently. Now it randomly kicks me out. Today it added the fun of not letting me log in until I closed the website and opened it up again. The problem keeps getting worse. At some point I won't be able to log in at all.

Maybe the website (the inanimate website, NOT the people who run it) just doesn't like whiners like me......

The people who run this website are nice people who put forth a lot of time and effort for me to play. And I appreciate it very much.

[This message was edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking on August 05, 2003 at 01:16 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by yorelken:

I think you're right. It's getting worse. I can't understand why it's not being mentioned in the Geocaching Announcements at least since July 23, at this writing. At least acknowledge the problem, anyway.

I agree, it's gettig worse.

I was having a lot of login probs myself, but until recently I have had none. Here is what I did.

IE users can click Internet Options/Privacy and add geocaching.com to the list of sites you allow cookies.

I also do not use a link that contains my username and password as I tried in the past.

So unless the prob was fixed at GC, this may help.

P.S. I use GC.com on my home machine and work machine. I only set it to 'remember me' on my home machine. I still get the login probs while I am at work.

Kar

Hallaluya! icon_biggrin.gif

This morning I actually clicked on geocaching and got right into the site, clicked on discuss geocaching and got right into the site without having to relogon!

Hope this means the problem has been solved!

I have no problem at work, although I do have to log in daily...

At home I can NOT login to the forum no matter what I try. I can log into the main site fine. I have tried clearing my cache and deleting the cookies but still nothing works...

Any other advice on what I can try?

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif