TFTT

NEwhere

NWehere, I here you. The problem with geocaching around the Atlanta airport is that you're not always going to get the greatest hikes, the most beautiful vistas, etc. Suburban caching can get like, well, anything else in the suburbs.

That said, there are tons of great caches around the Atlanta area. Stone Mountain has a ton. Arabia Mountain, which gives you an idea of what Stone Mountain might have been like before the park and the carving, is also fun. I've not had a chance to go hunt for it yet, but I've heard good things about Georgia Spirit Quest #14 Rebel Not Forgotten, which is inside the airport perimeter.

If you just go for the closest caches, no telling what you're going to get out of it. But if you plan out your finds a little more, I bet you'll get a better experience out of it.

And when you decide to start hiding caches, remember what you vented here and pay it forward -- hide the kind of caches you'd want to find.

NEWHERE, I took a look at the map where you made your finds, and briefly looking over the area, if I were to go there, one area that looks interesting is the davidson-arabia mountain national perserve. looks like about 6-7 caches there, one i looked at had 7 favorites and a 3 star terrain. Also Stone Mountain east of Scottdale has alot of caches, and is actually a place we plan on visiting in the future. Sweetwater creek state park also looks promising.

It took me about 5 minutes to look at your area. Not bragging by any means...but I am sure you would enjoy finding those caches. I would be pleased to know if you go to one of these places on your next day off and post your experiance

NWehere, I here you. The problem with geocaching around the Atlanta airport is that you're not always going to get the greatest hikes, the most beautiful vistas, etc. Suburban caching can get like, well, anything else in the suburbs.

That said, there are tons of great caches around the Atlanta area. Stone Mountain has a ton. Arabia Mountain, which gives you an idea of what Stone Mountain might have been like before the park and the carving, is also fun. I've not had a chance to go hunt for it yet, but I've heard good things about Georgia Spirit Quest #14 Rebel Not Forgotten, which is inside the airport perimeter.

If you just go for the closest caches, no telling what you're going to get out of it. But if you plan out your finds a little more, I bet you'll get a better experience out of it.

And when you decide to start hiding caches, remember what you vented here and pay it forward -- hide the kind of caches you'd want to find.

Yeah that one does look interesting, I goggled up the answers a week ago, got the correct final coords only to discover that the actual cache is too long a drive to accomplish over lunch...

Yeah that one does look interesting, I goggled up the answers a week ago, got the correct final coords only to discover that the actual cache is too long a drive to accomplish over lunch...

If your criteria for caches is that you must be able to find them during your lunch break, you may be in for disappointment.

Generally, people who just have to grab a cache during their lunch break have already become addicted after finding caches after work or on the weekend when they have time to seek out the caches they really find interesting.

The lunch caches are just a way to tide you over until the weekend.

You are correct, I work near the airport. And yea I have 1.5 hours over lunch to hunt.

Then your results and experiences are very narrow. If I was limited to my lunch break I would have 0 finds. If I was limited to a 5 mile radius I would have quit a month in. There are truly great caches out there (and yes some in parking lots) but they are maybe 5% of the population. Then there are a lot of good caches, and as you have seen there are even crappy caches. It sounds like you are unfortunately in an area of poor cache quality. It may take some research and making some time after work or on days off to get out of that area and get over to Stone Mountain or a nice park, but I guarantee once you find an incredible cache it will be well worth whatever you had to do to get to it (and I speak from experience)

To say that most caches are crappy because you only have 1.5 hours to find them is like saying that most food is crappy because you only have $5 to spend on it.

To say that most caches are crappy because you only have 1.5 hours to find them is like saying that most food is crappy because you only have $5 to spend on it.

Yes it would be like saying that if indeed that is what I said.

Might not be what you said, but it's what a lot of us read.

So are you saying you have taken the time to peruse caches a bit further out like possibly out of the suburbs and you still haven't found anything to your liking? I find that hard to believe. I know a lot of the GGA members are active in the area and I have personally found some really nice caches around Atlanta. There's even a few interesting locations around the airport.

So are you saying you have taken the time to peruse caches a bit further out like possibly out of the suburbs and you still haven't found anything to your liking? I find that hard to believe. I know a lot of the GGA members are active in the area and I have personally found some really nice caches around Atlanta. There's even a few interesting locations around the airport.

Nope.

I've found two where I live that I like. I've found 2 near the airport that I like. The rest have been crappy.

So i want to go find a cache during my lunch break vs. whatever else i normally do. Just because I have little time doesn't mean CO's can't do a better job on their caches.

NWehere, I here you. The problem with geocaching around the Atlanta airport is that you're not always going to get the greatest hikes, the most beautiful vistas, etc.

Indeed, I been in Atlanta many time during my four years living in SC and I will say this, there isnt much to see around the airport. If you are talking about PDX (portland, oregon) there is alot of cool caches around the airport. It all depend on where you are.

So i want to go find a cache during my lunch break vs. whatever else i normally do. Just because I have little time doesn't mean CO's can't do a better job on their caches.

As was already stated, if you keep that attitude, you're going to be disappointed with this activity. I love driving, but I don't like all the other cars on the road and the places the road takes me. Does that stop me from driving? Absolutely not. Sometimes I have to go out of my way to make my drive interesting.

Here's a suggestion - set the example by placing caches in places you would want to go and see. Monkey see, monkey do. If other cache owners see your great examples, maybe they'll place better caches. Or not. People put caches wherever they want, meaning you will find some really good ones and some not-so-good ones. That's just a part of life.

Nope.

I've found two where I live that I like. I've found 2 near the airport that I like. The rest have been crappy.

7 out of 11 would indeed be considered 'most' by 'most' of us, I suspect. I agree with Geobain that most of us are reading that into your posts. If that isn't what you intend, they perhaps you are not communicating your point adequately.

Edited by knowschad
Just because I have little time doesn't mean CO's can't do a better job on their caches.

Would it be great if every cache ever placed was fantastic? Yes. But that is not the case, you have little to no control over what others do.

Right now you are letting it bother you and it is effecting your happiness. If you continue on this path you will quit.

You have the option of doing research and not searching for any cache that may be below your standards (elminate all parking lots, micros, etc).

You have the option of trying to encourage the local community by placing unique creative caches yourself. Once people see there is a better alternative they may start placing better caches as well. I have been trying to encourage this practice in my local community and I've seen a lot more fun caches placed in the past year. Could it be better, yes (but my view is skewed since I have cached in areas with multiple COs who place fantastic cache after fantastic cache).

You have the option of not letting it bother you. I do occasionally complain to friends about lackluster COs, but overall I try to avoid those caches at all costs and stick to finding fun caches.

Here are a couple of caches to try.
Ugh, those look p*** poor.

All these are within a few miles of the airport. Easily doable during a 1.5 hour lunch break.
Don't pander to him. If he can't be bothered to look beyond what's available in his lunch break then he deserves every trash-decorated guardrail he finds.

All these are within a few miles of the airport. Easily doable during a 1.5 hour lunch break.
Don't pander to him. If he can't be bothered to look beyond what's available in his lunch break then he deserves every trash-decorated guardrail he finds.

That was more for Swinflew. ;)

Another way you can filter out bad caches is to read the previous logs and see what others are saying about the cache.

That was once an excellent barometer, the length of the logs. If a cache had little more than "TFTC" and "Found It" logs you could bet it was a stinker and if it had more lengthy logs odds were it was above average.

But with all of the cachers out there today who are too lazy to log anything more than TFTC on everything from a 7-Eleven dumpster hide to a beautiful 2 mile hike to a hidden waterfall, the logs are not the useful tool they once were.

Another way you can filter out bad caches is to read the previous logs and see what others are saying about the cache.

That was once an excellent barometer, the length of the logs. If a cache had little more than "TFTC" and "Found It" logs you could bet it was a stinker and if it had more lengthy logs odds were it was above average.

But with all of the cachers out there today who are too lazy to log anything more than TFTC on everything from a 7-Eleven dumpster hide to a beautiful 2 mile hike to a hidden waterfall, the logs are not the useful tool they once were.

Maybe not for stinkers, but you can stil bet good logs equate to good caches.

That was more for Swinflew. ;)

I see what you did there. <_<

Does $30 and the premium membership get me any quality caches? Is the spirit dead?

get out of town!

no, seriously, go hiking for caches

on a different note, can you show me where does it say that the premium membership has anything to do with the quality of caches YOU choose to find?

No I can't. That's why I asked.

Does $30 and the premium membership get me any quality caches? Is the spirit dead?

get out of town!

on a different note, can you show me where does it say that the premium membership has anything to do with the quality of caches YOU choose to find?

get out of town!

I am sorry. I get out of town once a while and tried to throw in a few caches in if I got time.

get out of town!

well unfortunately your are stuck with mostly less than desirable hides

all the good stuff is out in the woods

Geocaching is a game of going out and discover cool spots. I understand the ones in the cities arent always the best but please think outside the box and go out of your way if you find a cool cache page with good logs. Thats Geocaching. I got a feeling that this sport isnt realy cut out for you. If every cache was perfect, I would be boring is a hurry. Its life, gotta take the bad with the goods.

all the good stuff is out in the woods

Or those with the most favorite points. Not ironically, many that have the most favorite points ARE in the woods.

to me that is what the original intention behind geocachng was, get out there, have a considerable hike, enjoy nature and the sights and find a cache

urban caches are just an "emergency" supply during the winter months when days are short and there's a blizzard out there but you don't want to break your [insert number] days streak :anibad: