Signing Logs

NEwhere

signing_THE_LOG.png

:D

That's not signing "the log", that's fingerspelling "the log". In any event, even the most puritan cachers don't make you leave your signature in the log, You can make almost any identifiable mark including stickers or stamps and people are satisfied. The so-call "rules" only say you should write about your find in the cache logbook. So if you want to a literalist, all those people who are only signing the log are cheaters.

You know, when you get your panties in a wad even over a joke it kind of makes you look a bit like an extremist.

Lighten up a little. It's just a game.

so I didn't bother, but yeah i logged it as found.

Yeah, I think you've got it about right. I mean really, what's the point of even getting out of the car if you're pretty sure you know where it is? For that matter, why even leave your house if you can see the location clearly on google maps. Log the find. Scroll on down the map to the next one...

Maybe I should have been more explicit, I could see the caches hanging in the tree, but retrieving it and doing all the rest could just get the cache discovered by the muggles. But yeah I found it... An can describe exactly where it is and what it looks like to the CO if needed...

signing_THE_LOG.png

:D

That's not signing "the log", that's fingerspelling "the log". In any event, even the most puritan cachers don't make you leave your signature in the log, You can make almost any identifiable mark including stickers or stamps and people are satisfied. The so-call "rules" only say you should write about your find in the cache logbook. So if you want to a literalist, all those people who are only signing the log are cheaters.

You know, when you get your panties in a wad even over a joke it kind of makes you look a bit like an extremist.

Lighten up a little. It's just a game.

No kidding! Toz... almost ALL of us realize that "signature" means many things (including stickers and stamps). Almost ALL of us also realize that there are times when you found the cache, but for one good reason or another, are not able to sign the log. VERY few of us would delete a find under those conditions. I really wish you would stop harping on such matters. You are a real puritan about that, ironically.

By the way, a person could be "the most purist cacher", but they could not be "the most puritan cacher". Puritan, as you know, is a group of people. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to that sort of grammar error. B)

By the way, a person could be "the most purist cacher", but they could not be "the most puritan cacher". Puritan, as you know, is a group of people. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to that sort of grammar error. B)

Most puritanical not most purist :ph34r:

Must be some variation on Muphry's Law.

(it sounded OK when I wrote it)

Edited by knowschad

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. :blink:

When placing a cache you have the choice of selecting a size appropriate for the size of the container, listing th size as other or not selecting a size at all. Some have even been known to select a size not appropriate for the container size to throw people off. A size is not listed "as such" automatically and someone placing one is under no obligation to list one. I know several cache placers for which this is the norm rather than the exception.

The discussion that you are referring to above is with regards to caches that have no size listed, not the ones that do. At least that has been what I have been talking about, perhaps that is part of the problem. Obviuosly a picture of a log where the size is listed is not going to be an issue if someone posts a picture of it.

Not sure why there was any confusion about being serious.

You can't fix or make rules to fix stupid. If someone wants to improperly list their micro as a small or large, they're going to do it. We have one cacher in our area that insists that sizes are subjective and you should list it as whatever your mood is at the time and resists any and all guidelines to the contrary. Many area cachers were introduced to the valid reasons for an ignore list shortly they started caching.

What was mentioned is unknown sizes, not listed or other. Frankly, the former is just a lazy cacher, however the latter if for caches that do not fit into the listed definitions, such as a flat magnet with the log on the back. Currently any physical container, as in something that can contain something else, there is currently a size listed to be used.

That aside, there is a constant warning on the pages that pics and logs may contain spoilers.

Back OT, signing the paper log is one of the basic tenets of geocaching. If there ever is any type of dispute, the only argument that can be made against a log deletion is the existence of a physical signature.

I'm not sure why someone who lists their cache size as "not listed" or "other" would automatically be lazy. I might use it on one of my caches to add to the challenge or to be a surprise for the finder when they spotted an original or homemade container. Regardless of why i listed my cache as this way, i would not want pictures of the log posted on the cache page for those caches. It's obvious that a picture of the log could give out size information to future finders.

Yeah yeah, i know there is a disclaimer about spoilers being in logs,,, Just sayin that it would be nice if people would ask before posting them.

I do agree with your second bolded statement.

As for signing the log, well, after I change a tire on the aircraft I must state so and sign the log. It MUST be done. That is what I get paid for. I can have the apprentice change the tire (with supervison if I am not sure of his work) but he can't sign the logbook. I do. My signing the logbook ensures the work was completed in accorance with the applicable standards of airworthiness.

So for this game I do indeed sign the logbook. It is the point really, to prove you were there. If no one ever checks, no one will really know. But I will. I am still new at this and forgot my pencil once, but lucky for me there were pencils in the caches that day.

Oh, and why do I use a pencil? They work pretty much every time. The Americans spend millions developing a pen that would work in space. The Russians brought a pencil....

I actually haven't met many logs that were too mushy to sign. I have an array of sharpie pens, and even an OR pen that signs anything. I still sign. Even if it's wet, mushy, and full.

If it's really impossible, then I snap a pic of the log and submit it with my found it log. No matter what, I'm providing proof that I was really there.

I'm a newbe to the extreme.. Just started a week ago. One log I came across was too wet to sign. The film container was ok, so I was figuring someone along the line didn't seal it properly or something. Anyway, don't know if this is proper or not, but I signed a piece of paper put scotch tape over it to "waterproof it, and put it in with the log.

Sometimes I don't see a point anymore when I saw a new cacher place a bunch of liar caches which some was only a laminate saying "okay you found it so go log it" with no logsheet. What's up with that?

I am blessed to have a pair of Reviewers living in close proximity to those areas I cache most frequently in. A blatant guideline violation like that, if not reported by a regular player, would not survive very long once they found it.

Well I know two reviewers that are here on the forums who know me and I am sure they read this too.

I actually haven't met many logs that were too mushy to sign. I have an array of sharpie pens, and even an OR pen that signs anything. I still sign. Even if it's wet, mushy, and full.

If it's really impossible, then I snap a pic of the log and submit it with my found it log. No matter what, I'm providing proof that I was really there.

I'm a newbe to the extreme.. Just started a week ago. One log I came across was too wet to sign. The film container was ok, so I was figuring someone along the line didn't seal it properly or something. Anyway, don't know if this is proper or not, but I signed a piece of paper put scotch tape over it to "waterproof it, and put it in with the log.

That's perfectly fine. I'd also make mention of that in my online log (or I'd log a needs maintenance along with the found-it log) so the CO realizes the cache needs some attention (unless others have already logged a needs maintenance). And you may have already done just that, but I thought I'd mention it.

Welcome to the obsession! :D

Really? What obsession would that be exactly. The hey you have a crappy container and since I can't make the trip twice, Yahtzee for me. That obsession?

Noooo! The obsession to carry Scotch tape with you when you go caching so that you can seal your signature against further water damage, silly!

Really? What obsession would that be exactly. The hey you have a crappy container and since I can't make the trip twice, Yahtzee for me. That obsession?

Noooo! The obsession to carry Scotch tape with you when you go caching so that you can seal your signature against further water damage, silly!

Hey, I'm trying to be gruff here and you're ruining the moment. <_<

personally i like signing logs and seeing everyone else's signature. to me it makes it feel like your part of something more so than seeing the logs on the website does. makes it more tangible i guess.

but like A&J said, its a game. play it the way that makes it fun for you. if people cheat who cares? they are only cheating themselves.

I'm with you. I enjoy looking at the logs and seeing the names of people who've been there before. Sometimes you can be far from home and see the name of a cacher from back home, or perhaps a name you know from the forums. I enjoyed it even more when people actually left more than a signature and wrote real logs. I loved sitting at a cache on a hot summer day reading about someone fighting the snow and cold to find the cache.

I think the idea of shared experiences is a big part of what made geocaching grow and become such a social activity.

But as you say, play the game the way you want to. I met a geocacher in a bar once. He knew who I was because said he found dozens of my caches. I never heard of him because he not only doesn't log online, he doesn't sign the paper log. That's his game.

If however you log online and don't sign the paper log don't be upset if your log is deleted.

Edited by briansnat

personally i like signing logs and seeing everyone else's signature. to me it makes it feel like your part of something more so than seeing the logs on the website does. makes it more tangible i guess.

but like A&J said, its a game. play it the way that makes it fun for you. if people cheat who cares? they are only cheating themselves.

I'm with you. I enjoy looking at the logs and seeing the names of people who've been there before. Sometimes you can be far from home and see the name of a local cacher, or perhaps a name you know from the forums.

Good point. I've seen logs from both local cachers and forum cachers several times while on vacation many miles from home. Its very cool.

One log I came across was too wet to sign. The film container was ok, so I was figuring someone along the line didn't seal it properly or something.

Hi Peanut, welcome to the addiction! :)

For the cache you mentioned, it probably was properly closed by previous finders. (It's really tough to not close a film can right) My guess is that it was one of those black film cans with the grey lid? And the cache was hidden outdoors, in a geographic region with more than 0.01% average humidity? If so, that would explain the wet log, as those containers really, really suck. Not quite as bad as hide-a-keys, but still, pretty crappy.

Post script: By "suck" I refer to the fact that they do not protect their contents from the environment very well.

I did see a couple pens over the past couple months that I would like to add to my inventory. Maybe Santa will smile upon me? The first is called a Metal Pen. It's an inkless writing tool that utilizes a silver like alloy nub, which they claim will make a mark on just about anything, and will do so for decades. I've never actually tried one, but I thought it looked kinda kewl.

0a032239-6962-4695-a71e-45bada37d3f6.jpg?rnd=0.431515

*raises hand* I have one of those! It's attached to my keychain, so I am never without a pen when geocaching. They work absolutely as well as advertised, and will write on anything, even if it's soaking wet. Two caveats though: 1) Very expensive!, 2) The actual writing is very light in color. That's not a problem per se, it just surprised me.

I am some what new to this as I have less than 100 finds, but for me, part of the fun of finding a cache is getting it, opening it, seeing what is inside, and then signing the log; all without a muggle seeing me do it. Since we all enjoy geocaching, why don't we all try and maintain the caches. I have been carrying extra logs as I am sure a lot of people do. If a log is so destoyed it can't be signed, I have been putting a new one in. I realize that signing the log is a formality, but to not do it, seems like we are taking away part of the game. Take this for what it is worth as I am new.

I did see a couple pens over the past couple months that I would like to add to my inventory. Maybe Santa will smile upon me? The first is called a Metal Pen. It's an inkless writing tool that utilizes a silver like alloy nub, which they claim will make a mark on just about anything, and will do so for decades. I've never actually tried one, but I thought it looked kinda kewl.

*raises hand* I have one of those! It's attached to my keychain, so I am never without a pen when geocaching. They work absolutely as well as advertised, and will write on anything, even if it's soaking wet. Two caveats though: 1) Very expensive!, 2) The actual writing is very light in color. That's not a problem per se, it just surprised me.

Did you know that artists have been making "silverpoint" drawings for centuries?

So for this game I do indeed sign the logbook. It is the point really, to prove you were there. If no one ever checks, no one will really know. But I will.

I think this sums it up as well as anything.

I am some what new to this as I have less than 100 finds, but for me, part of the fun of finding a cache is getting it, opening it, seeing what is inside, and then signing the log; all without a muggle seeing me do it. Since we all enjoy geocaching, why don't we all try and maintain the caches. I have been carrying extra logs as I am sure a lot of people do. If a log is so destoyed it can't be signed, I have been putting a new one in. I realize that signing the log is a formality, but to not do it, seems like we are taking away part of the game. Take this for what it is worth as I am new.

Totally agree with this. Well said.

What extra you put into this game will reward you with the satisfaction of having played it well.

Sometimes I don't see a point anymore when I saw a new cacher place a bunch of liar caches which some was only a laminate saying "okay you found it so go log it" with no logsheet. What's up with that?

I am blessed to have a pair of Reviewers living in close proximity to those areas I cache most frequently in. A blatant guideline violation like that, if not reported by a regular player, would not survive very long once they found it.

Well I know two reviewers that are here on the forums who know me and I am sure they read this too.

I don't know. People want their smiley. Some guy put out a "Geodisk" I think he called it, in my area (no log, no container, just a disk), and a good 15 people claimed their smiley before it was reported. Additionally, the masses out there don't hang around these forums or regulary discuss the fine details of Geocaching. What I'm saying is, I think the majority of Geocachers wouldn't think there's anything wrong with what you describe. :huh:

Did you know that artists have been making "silverpoint" drawings for centuries?

No, I did not... and now I do. I learned something on a Monday! It's kinda humbling that I've been using something which I thought was radically new, but is instead almost ancient.

I was a owner dont usually look up and compare the phisical log with the virtual logs. As a owner i play the geocaching my way. If anyone want to play it another way i dont bother, they are the ones that lost not me. I dont delete the logs unless the log is abusive to other peoples, to me or the log clearly say that the founder havent been there.

Another thing i do is permiting that someone that goes to my cache place if he contacts me and explain why they havent log the logbook to mark as a found it.

Yup! Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael, (two of my favorites from history) were well known metalpoint artists, which was what spurred my interest in that particular tool. I imagine someday I'll buy one, as they run less than $30, but not today.

I don't know. People want their smiley. Some guy put out a "Geodisk" I think he called it, in my area (no log, no container, just a disk), and a good 15 people claimed their smiley before it was reported. Additionally, the masses out there don't hang around these forums or regulary discuss the fine details of Geocaching. What I'm saying is, I think the majority of Geocachers wouldn't think there's anything wrong with what you describe. :huh:

Most people view geocaching as a very informal activity. There are no rules and the guidelines for cache placement are no more than guidelines. Some will assume that if a cache was published it either meets the guidelines or it was given a exception.

While the rationale for some guidelines is pretty self explanatory, the rationale for others is not clear. The explanation for the guideline that physical caches contain log sheet has never been made clear. It is often assumed by the p's that it is because there is a rule that you must sign the log in order to log a find online. I tend to believe it was instituted when it was becoming harder to get virtual caches published (due to the "wow" requirement) and people were getting around this by saying there was no log to sign.

Most people view geocaching as a very informal activity. There are no rules and the guidelines for cache placement are no more than guidelines. Some will assume that if a cache was published it either meets the guidelines or it was given a exception.

While the rationale for some guidelines is pretty self explanatory, the rationale for others is not clear. The explanation for the guideline that physical caches contain log sheet has never been made clear to me. It is often assumed by the people that it is because there is a rule that you must sign the log in order to log a find online. I tend to believe it was instituted when it was becoming harder to get virtual caches published (due to the "wow" requirement) and people were getting around this by saying there was no log to sign.

Corrected.

I found a bison under water yesterday, no O-ring and the log was soaked. A quick squeeze and I was able to sign PI PN with a trusty Wally-World cheapo ballpoint. It is possible. I let the CO know that the log was wet and I replaced the cache where I thought it was intended to be. If you can't retrieve a cache due to muggles, store owner or whatever....you either wait it out, or write a note or DNF. Or you get sneaky, and retrieve the container while you "tie" your shoelace. It can be done.....I've retrieved something in the middle of a busy mall parking lot, with cars going by and people going in and out of nearby stores.

Play the game how you want, I don't log a find if I don't sign the log.

You know perfectly well what obsession! :):P

The obsession that compels us ever forward, because we know that although yesterday brought only crappy, leaky containers full of moldy, unidentifiable mush that no pen in the world could hope to conquer.....that tomorrow may bring the perfect sunset along a section of trail we never even knew existed, and after we've been on your hands and knees searching for an eternity and are just about to abandon all hope, suddenly we spot a fake owl attached 10 feet up in a tree (fake spotted owl?) and the biggest smile ever breaks out on our faces! *That* obsession. :D

You know perfectly well what obsession! :):P

The obsession that compels us ever forward, because we know that although yesterday brought only crappy, leaky containers full of moldy, unidentifiable mush that no pen in the world could hope to conquer.....that tomorrow may bring the perfect sunset along a section of trail we never even knew existed, and after we've been on your hands and knees searching for an eternity and are just about to abandon all hope, suddenly we spot a fake owl attached 10 feet up in a tree (fake spotted owl?) and the biggest smile ever breaks out on our faces! *That* obsession. :D

I know what you mean. And then you go back again to find a functional cache.

Edit: Functional : Designed to be practical and useful, rather than attractive

Sorry, just showing my puritan side.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Here's one of the cache's i was talking about earlier in this thread. This is in the parking lot of a Hooters which is appropriate once you spot the cache. I've been by it twice but too many muggles and cars driving by to get it out and open then sign and replace without being spotted. So I just logged it as FOUND.

photo.jpg

Let me know if you don't see it and I'll give you another HINT.

Here's one of the cache's i was talking about earlier in this thread. This is in the parking lot of a Hooters which is appropriate once you spot the cache. I've been by it twice but too many muggles and cars driving by to get it out and open then sign and replace without being spotted. So I just logged it as FOUND.

Good job. *thumbs up*

I'd log a note instead of a found. In fact, I just did that last night.

You will find that many people will disagree with what you did and be very vocal and / or snarky about it. According to the guidelines, the CO also has the option of deleting your found log if you did not sign the log.

Whatever you decide and think, I just want to point out that the forums are probably the most unfriendly aspect of geocaching.

Not true. Armchair loggers who "find" a cache that has gone missing and have several DNFs logged can cause confusion and a lot of wasted time. I find this very frustrating, and they are also cheating me. The only way to be certain that a cache has been found is for the log to be signed.

Edited by Cache! Eh?

So you didn't retrieve the cache or sign the log, yet you logged it as found?

Absolutely! Or if you prefer on my way home I can just walk right up to it, unhook it, take it back to my jeep, sign it, then go back and hang it up. Doubt it will last long has everyone on the booted patio can watch....

so you didn't spot the cache in my pic....

Not true. Armchair loggers who "find" a cache that has gone missing and have several DNFs logged can cause confusion and a lot of wasted time. I find this very frustrating, and they are also cheating me. The only way to be certain that a cache has been found is for the log to be signed.

Whatever you decide and think, I just want to point out that the forums are probably the most unfriendly aspect of geocaching.

Especially when it appears a thread is being bumped for attention.

But really, regardless of how it may appear, geocaching is not a competition. So log it however you want.

(but don't be surprised if some of those logs get deleted)

How do you know that it was the cache, and not a dummy with a note saying "NOT HERE inside"? A number of cache owners are very fond of doing this! Did you see a label with the cache name and GC number?

It is not unknown for people to leave throwdowns, and near where I live there have been caches hidden by more than one person at the same location.

Unless you open the container, you can't be sure. When you have opened it, and read the name of the cache on the log, then you may as well sign it.

Edited by Cache! Eh?

so you didn't spot the cache in my pic....

My reply to ArcadiaExeter was highlighting problems that can arise with armchair loggers (people that log finds without leaving home), which are a different case.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that this is what you are doing.

Agreed geobrain, as a beginner 50% of the caches I've found are owned by people who clearly don't do maintenance, are are noobs based On cache count finds. Seems like a lot of folks get interested in caching and then in their first month create all these caches and then get bored of it and stop caring after a year or so, it's enough to turn noobs away I would think. Aren't there some seniority requirements for cache owners? There should be....

Maybe that's what a premium membership will help you avoid, are those caches all just awesome or something? The other 50% I've found were what I expected to find, nice clean dry ammo boxes or nanos in quality containers.

I believe anyone with less than 100 finds should be classified as a noob. I would even suggest they find 100 before they try to fix the game.

Yeah, I think you've got it about right. I mean really, what's the point of even getting out of the car if you're pretty sure you know where it is? For that matter, why even leave your house if you can see the location clearly on google maps. Log the find. Scroll on down the map to the next one...Maybe I should have been more explicit, I could see the caches hanging in the tree, but retrieving it and doing all the rest could just get the cache discovered by the muggles. But yeah I found it... An can describe exactly where it is and what it looks like to the CO if needed...

Especially when it appears a thread is being bumped for attention.But really, regardless of how it may appear, geocaching is not a competition. So log it however you want.(but don't be surprised if some of those logs get deleted)

I was just following up with proof to my comment quoted above from a couple of days ago ITT. What's up with all the concern about getting a log deleted? Who cares?

How do you know that it was the cache, and not a dummy with a note saying "NOT HERE inside"? A number of cache owners are very fond of doing this! Did you see a label with the cache name and GC number?

It is not unknown for people to leave throwdowns, and near where I live there have been caches hidden by more than one person at the same location.

Unless you open the container, you can't be sure. When you have opened it, and read the name of the cache on the log, then you may as well sign it.

Not listed as a multi?

Not listed as a multi?

I don't think you read the comment. Here again I would suggest you cache for awhile get some different type caches and you might have more ideas in here.

The comment is correct, sometimes people put out fake caches. So when you find them you go to open them and they say something like "NOT THE CACHE" or "KEEP LOOKING" yes it drives some crazy but you have not found the cache hidden by the CO. So it is not a multi and has nothing to do with a multi.

You sign the log because that is the requirement in the game. Otherwise rare as it maybe a owner can go check the logs and see you logged it online but did not sign the paper and be totally justified in deleting your online log.

Part of the game is to avoid detection as you Find the cache, Retrieve the cache, sign the cache, and Place the cache back. Sometimes difficulty level will reflect that.

So you didn't retrieve the cache or sign the log, yet you logged it as found?

Absolutely! Or if you prefer on my way home I can just walk right up to it, unhook it, take it back to my jeep, sign it, then go back and hang it up. Doubt it will last long has everyone on the booted patio can watch....

Yes, I would prefer that people who claim 'finds' actually find the cache.

Yeah, I think you've got it about right. I mean really, what's the point of even getting out of the car if you're pretty sure you know where it is? For that matter, why even leave your house if you can see the location clearly on google maps. Log the find. Scroll on down the map to the next one...Maybe I should have been more explicit, I could see the caches hanging in the tree, but retrieving it and doing all the rest could just get the cache discovered by the muggles. But yeah I found it... An can describe exactly where it is and what it looks like to the CO if needed...

Especially when it appears a thread is being bumped for attention.But really, regardless of how it may appear, geocaching is not a competition. So log it however you want.(but don't be surprised if some of those logs get deleted)

I was just following up with proof to my comment quoted above from a couple of days ago ITT. What's up with all the concern about getting a log deleted? Who cares?

I don't care if your logs get deleted either. You're golden!

thumbs_up_bciy.jpg