Found Archived Cache

farrtom

I found a well placed cache that had been archived.

How many archived caches are still able to be found and or have been replaced and not un-archived?

I found this one on a list of oldest caches in the area and went to find it after I noticed three other people had found it after it was archived.

This was great cache in a great location (even saw a deer 25+/- yards away watching me!).

If the cache has been archived, no other cache is listed for that location and you check a couple of other caching sites and its not listed there then take ownership of it. Create a cache page for it and let it live again. often cache get archived for one reason or another and the COs never go out to retrieve them or someone comes along and tries to keep it alive by placing a new container. SO check around and make sure none else has ownership of the location and make it yours.

The short answer is, too many.

If the listing is archived, and they're not listed anywhere else, it's the owner's responsibility to go get it and remove it. When they don't, it's an abandoned container. (The normal slang for it is "geo trash.")

I've been the last finder on at least one archived cache, it was on National Park property and was archived at the behest of NPS. The owner didn't bother to remove it, so folks kept logging it. I found it and logged it, then I did what the owner should have done and took the cache with me.

If the listing is archived, and they're not listed anywhere else, it's the owner's responsibility to go get it and remove it. When they don't, it's an abandoned container. (The normal slang for it is "geo trash.")

I've been the last finder on at least one archived cache, it was on National Park property and was archived at the behest of NPS. The owner didn't bother to remove it, so folks kept logging it. I found it and logged it, then I did what the owner should have done and took the cache with me.

How did you know that it was archived when you found it? I think I've only found one cache that had been archived. I didn't realize that the cache was archived (I was using about a week old) when I found it, and only discovered that it was archived when I got back home (about 30 miles away) to log my finds that day.

How did you know that it was archived when you found it? I think I've only found one cache that had been archived. I didn't realize that the cache was archived (I was using about a week old) when I found it, and only discovered that it was archived when I got back home (about 30 miles away) to log my finds that day.

I found the cache list on the bookmark list "US Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State (shared, public)".

On the list it is not archived, but when I went to the cache page, it was archived, but it had recent finds.

I went looking for it because it would help me complete a Challenge Cache.

I sent a message to the reviewer and I am going to send a message to the cache owner and offer to adopt it if we can get it reactivated.

I found the cache list on the bookmark list "US Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State (shared, public)".

On the list it is not archived, but when I went to the cache page, it was archived, but it had recent finds.

:blink:

On the bookmark lists I've created, caches that have been archived are marked with a red line through the GC code/name.

And I was pretty sure that happens on the bookmark list immediately upon archival of the cache listing.

I sent a message to the reviewer and I am going to send a message to the cache owner and offer to adopt it if we can get it reactivated.

See the Knowledge Books:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.

:blink:

On the bookmark lists I've created, caches that have been archived are marked with a red line through the GC code/name.

And I was pretty sure that happens on the bookmark list immediately upon archival of the cache listing.

See the Knowledge Books:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.

I just went back and looked again at the book mark list and you are correct. I must have looked at it because it is so close and noticed that it had been found after it had been archived. I did not remember that it was marked through, but it is there now.

Edited by farrtom

I've always wondered how many archived caches never get "cleaned up"

Thousands, monthly.

Well, hundreds anyway...

Sad actually, since we are supposed to be all about CITO. :(

Since Geocaching.com is ONLY a listing service, they can't legally advocate cleaning-up the mess left by archived caches. But, (in the final analysis), an archived cache that was archived by the reviewer for lack of maintenance is no different than a discarded disposable diaper...they both stink!

Many local organizations have programs to deal with the problem. And more power to them.

If the reviewer is willing to unarchive it because it's a historical cache, then you might be able to transfer it, if you can get a hold of the owner.

In general, people need to be careful of looking for archived caches because a lot of them have been archived because they're on private property, bothered the neighbors, or other reasons that make it necessary for people to not look for them, otherwise it gives caching a bad name.

I know of at least one CO who has been banned from publishing caches at least partially because he doesn't pick up his archived caches. He published prolifically, maintained very few, archived them if one person logged a dnf, and didn't even check on it first.

Wish I could link to the forum post but I remember reading about a guy who circumvents the .1 mile rule by archiving his caches then placing nearby caches, then inviting people to go hunt the archived cache too and claim a smiley.

I know of at least one CO who has been banned from publishing caches at least partially because he doesn't pick up his archived caches. He published prolifically, maintained very few, archived them if one person logged a dnf, and didn't even check on it first.

Wish I could link to the forum post but I remember reading about a guy who circumvents the .1 mile rule by archiving his caches then placing nearby caches, then inviting people to go hunt the archived cache too and claim a smiley.

Yeah, I remember that...Cheese-O-matic.

Reading back through the logs, this cache is on city / public lands next to a day use state park and is a "wilderness" area with alot of maintained trails. It appears that the original cache, placed in 2001, was moved at least twice before due to being muggled. The current location is off away from the more public areas but still within the trail system. The original cache owner regularly checked on it.

I am realy hoping that we can unarchive this cache because it was the first cache placed in this town, and the oldest within 45-50 miles of here.

Reading back through the logs, this cache is on city / public lands next to a day use state park and is a "wilderness" area with alot of maintained trails. It appears that the original cache, placed in 2001, was moved at least twice before due to being muggled. The current location is off away from the more public areas but still within the trail system. The original cache owner regularly checked on it.

I am realy hoping that we can unarchive this cache because it was the first cache placed in this town, and the oldest within 45-50 miles of here.

You could ask the CO about his archived cache, he's still active. His profile says he logged in today.

Just heard from the CO and he is willing to adopt it over to me so now I just need to get the reviewer to unarchive it.

The CO said another cacher offered to adopt it but never did anything more that he knew of. I think this cacher is the one who replaced the cache container.

Either way, the CO and the other cacher are both from out of town, and for me it is only about a mile away.

Me and the kidos will enjoy watch over this one.

I did some more research tonight and the cache is located within a state park. I sent an email to the superintendent of the park asking about permission to hide a cache in the park.

Untill I hear back from everybody (the superintendent, GC Reviewer, & CO) I think I will go remove the cache (it is to nice and well loaded to loose)to keep it safe.

If I do not hear back positivly from the state park, I will relocate the cache to just outside the boundry on public land. The cache right now is very close to the park boarder.

Yes to answer your question. Yes many. Either a reviewer archives them because the CO is inactive and the cache in not being maintained (disabled too long or NA requested), or the owner doesn't maintain it and the CO doesn't want to respond. Or the cache violates a rule and is archived by GC.

Then you have your CO who archives it for unknown reasons or there are too many DNFs and they are tired of replacing it. Or they tired of the area.

What I do is when one of mine is truly gone (for sure) and I think the area is not what I want anymore then I archive it. If it is worth something to me but I can no longer take care of it, then I adopt it out.

I will not archive it if I think the cache may still be there or if it is no longer excessiable for anyone to retrieve it.

For my "milestone" 100th find, I went after the most evil hide in my immediate area. The booger took me 3 tries to find..(4 hours total)...It had been over a year since its last find, so I was very excited to log my 100th find on this evil hide. About a year later I get a notification that this one had been archived with no real explanation as to why it was archived. I made plans to do a hide in honor of one of my most memorable finds in the same general GZ as the original..As I was placing my hide I discovered the archived container was still in place..and in excellent condition...I might add that if I thought for one minute that this cache was trash I would have removed it in a second, but it is so well hidden that nobody would ever know it is there unless they are geo-cachers. So I left it in place along with my new hide son that anyone that wants to put out the effort can get 2 for the price of one...although mine is much easier to find than the original. :D:rolleyes:

Just heard from the CO and he is willing to adopt it over to me so now I just need to get the reviewer to unarchive it.

The CO said another cacher offered to adopt it but never did anything more that he knew of. I think this cacher is the one who replaced the cache container.

Either way, the CO and the other cacher are both from out of town, and for me it is only about a mile away.

Good luck. reviewer isn't going to unarchive a cache for the purpose of adoption.

CITO the container and put your own out[reference the archived cache on your page if you want]

Heard back from the State Park and they don't mind cache in it aslong as you let them know where it is.

I was wondering if the previous containers were going missing because of the park staff, but now all will be "leagle".

I am go to remove the container until every thing is good to go.

Good luck. reviewer isn't going to unarchive a cache for the purpose of adoption.

CITO the container and put your own out[reference the archived cache on your page if you want]

I would never move a cache, and I surely wouldn't throw it away.

Not even if it's archived, because it's just none of your my business.

Edited by Otis.Gore

I did some more research tonight and the cache is located within a state park. I sent an email to the superintendent of the park asking about permission to hide a cache in the park.

Untill I hear back from everybody (the superintendent, GC Reviewer, & CO) I think I will go remove the cache (it is to nice and well loaded to loose)to keep it safe.

If I do not hear back positivly from the state park, I will relocate the cache to just outside the boundry on public land. The cache right now is very close to the park boarder.

I would never move a cache, and I surely wouldn't throw it away.

Not even if it's archived, because it's just none of your my business.

You may think it's none of your business, but it certainly would be mine. An archived cache that isn't picked up for a long time is simply trash! IMO, Geocaching isn't about leaving trash around. I think the OP is taking all the right steps and wish them luck.

A quick update. The local reviewer will not unarchive the cache because it has been 2 years since the cache was archived, even though it has been found 4 times since it was archived. I will have to start a new cache (with the existing container) in the current location. It is a shame that a 10 year old cache will be lost. O well, not much I can do about it.

I will be meeting with the state park supervisor next week to confirm that he is OK with the cache location.

I"ve found several archived caches that are still out there and being logged. One archived cache was hidden inside a larger active cache (long story, but this was exactly where it was supposed to be). Got 2 smilies for the price of one. :D

I'm the new owner of the outer cache. :laughing:

The original owners hid what is now the outer cache, and then a while later hid the other cache with meters of it. I still have no idea why they placed the second one, but over time, it migrated closer and closer to the original. By the time I found it, the "new" one had been archived, but was still hidden inside the "old" cache. I kept this arrangement when I adopted the outer cache, so finders still get a 2-for-1 smiley!

As for the topic, I've found one archived cache, and I have the coordinates for another one which I'll be looking for soon. Around here, we've had a very prolific group of cachers called TEAM KFWB GPS who had hidden over 350 caches since 2002, mostly in this area. Many are legendary, and some involve long, complicated puzzles and lots of difficult terrain. In March of this year, they decided to archive all of their remaining caches out of frustration with the changing face of Geocaching. Since these caches are so historical, and much-loved by the local caching community, an arrangement was worked out between our reviewers, Groundspeak, and TEAM KFWB GPS to allow the unarchiving and adoption of their caches. In the end, almost 200 caches were saved and given new owners and will bring joy to cachers for years to come! The few caches that didn't get adopted were either missing anyway, or have been picked up.

If that's a direct reply to my post, I knew the cache (GC2DF, linked above) was archived because it was archived. Had been for about a year. I came across it because I was confused by a log on the nearby earthcache that talked about only finding one stage. It sounded like they were talking about a physical cache. Turns out they were -- took some poking but I found the archived cache listing. When I saw that there was geotrash in an area I planned on hiking anyway, I loaded the cache into the GPSr and we removed it.

My theories:

Caches that are archived because the CO disappeared are still there. (Unless archived because they are missing.) There are a lot of three-day wonders. Found one. Hid three. Disappeared. These are not the types who will remove the geolitter.

Same is true of long-time cachers who quit (or die). People who give up on geocaching are not likely to remove the caches.

Myself, if I decide to archive a cache, I will remove it. Some of them might take a few months... (There are some pretty good hikes involved.)

One upon a time, we used to be able to see archived caches on the screen. I used to go out on TB rescue missions. Yup. 5 of the 6 caches were still there!

So, I'll gues that probably 60-80% or archived caches are still out there.

As for twofers. I think they are stupid. (IMHO) If a cache is archived, and you place a new cache there, remove the geolitter.