Must find a tool or key to open container

SmallsKC

I am wondering if anyone has ever found or hidden a cache that requires a cacher to find a tool or key of some sort in order to open the geocache container. For example a 2 stage multi cache that would provide the tool or key at stage 1 which opens or is required to retrieve the container the final/stage 2. If so, will you please point me to these caches? Thanks!

I can't recall any that required finding a tool to open the cache, but I can recall a few that required a tool to retrieve the cache, and a few that required a tool to identify the cache location. You can make it more likely that the tool is returned by minimizing the distance between the location where it is hidden and the location where it is used. You can also make it more likely that the tool is returned by choosing locations where seekers are more likely to pass the location where the tool is hidden on the way back from the location where the tool is used.

I've found and owned caches where the first stage included an entire tool kit (including some red herrings) necessary to accessing stages of the the cache. Figuring out how to use the tools (a doll, yoyo, toy train etc) was part of the fun of the cache.

Per niraD, the Final MUST be near stage one, and on the way back to parking, so that the tools are returned.

Probably the commonest keyed cache is a key attached to a travel bug (or bugs). The key is needed to access the cache. The coords for the cache may be on the bug as well.

These work okay for a while, until one of the bugs goes to Afghanistan, the copy bug disappears into the hands of 4 finds cacher. And the copy of the copy is placed in the end point of the local killer puzzle or all day multicache. And someone will always find it necessary to put the bug into the cache that it reveals/opens. At least that's fixable by the cache owner ;-)

Dr. Strangecache was a very fun one that I did a few years back. The final was locked with three locks, the keys of which were on three travel bugs. Once you found one of the bugs, and figured out what tit was for, you had to hang on to it until the other two were found, and the three cachers that held them had to make arrangments to meet to grab the final.

The big problem was people that didn't understand the TBs and would move them out of the area. The other problem was that it was a challenge trying to get the three people coordinated, especially when they lived and cached a good distance from each other. But it was a lot of fun, and makes for some fun log reading.

I found one where you had to then move on to get the key to unlock it, actually a bunch of about 30 keys and only 1 fit, thankfully we started at the right end!

Another where you had to move on to find a tool box to get into the cache, which you needed 2 of the tools, used simultaneously, that would have been tricky if I had been on my own.

I and all other finders think these were great caches and something a little out of the ordinary. Another one I have done was like Don B's.

Not much point in pointing you in the direction of the cache pages as you have no idea of the style from them. They were all a complete suprise which added to the fun.

I can't imagine that anyone finding either of the first two I mention would have taken the tools but you just can't judge people on your own standards. The tools would be useful, the keys less so, so the tips about having the tools hiding place on the way out from the cache is a very good idea to try and reduce the accidental or otherwise ruin of your hide.

Edited as I was trying to be careful not to give the game away for any determined cheaters, but I nearly did, almost. Gulp.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

I love puzzles. It's one of the reasons I like caching. Me against the hider, so to speak. However, what ranks at the top of "disappointments" is going after a cache that has been compromised in someway that prevents it from being found and/or solved. It would be very disappointing to spend time on a puzzle cache like you are describing only to find someone had moved the tools, stole them or didn't reset the cache. I generally, do not trust the general public to have the same conscientious towards my caches, as I do.

Edited by Russ!

I actually have been having fun with the idea of making a cache for people that are EDC (everyday carry) maniacs. Example: I have a courier bag in which i keep all manner of tools and items that i always carry with me, from paracord to butane flamers. The cache would be a box-in-a-box type of container, to open each you'd have to use certain handyman knowledge and specific tools. From hex/torx wrenches to electronic knowledge, and in the end, even a laptop.

I mean, from a normal cache's view, i revisit cache locations for DNFs, i would not mind revisiting a location to get to the next step in opening the box. :) Caches could be fun in themselves.

I actually have been having fun with the idea of making a cache for people that are EDC (everyday carry) maniacs. Example: I have a courier bag in which i keep all manner of tools and items that i always carry with me, from paracord to butane flamers. The cache would be a box-in-a-box type of container, to open each you'd have to use certain handyman knowledge and specific tools. From hex/torx wrenches to electronic knowledge, and in the end, even a laptop.

I mean, from a normal cache's view, i revisit cache locations for DNFs, i would not mind revisiting a location to get to the next step in opening the box. :) Caches could be fun in themselves.

I agree, but I would also need to consider travelers that only pass by a cache once in their travels.

I will note in the hints what exactly needs to be brought, so people don't make a trip out for nothing if they don't have what they need, but i would expect a 4-5 difficulty box to be hard for every one even if they have the tools handy to not make multiple trips. There are plenty of other easier and simpler boxes in my city, Bucharest, for the simple passer-by traveler.

Still, that idea is a future project, after i've seen a few more caches and maybe get in contact with the rest of the community more.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for some specific caches as I have some questions for the COs about the execution and logistics of a cache of this type. If you have any specific caches you could share please either reply here with the GC Code or Cache Name or send me an email if you prefer not to give the specific information here. SmallsKC5@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

This was one of the coolest caches we've found yet. It's been archived, because the owner had to move, and wanted to reuse the container.

Have You Lost Your Marbles????

It is constructed of PVC pipe, and is padlocked with a heavy duty Master lock. In order to get to the log, you have to figure out how to retrieve the key, which is actually inside the container. (There were also a lot of marbles inside it, hence the name.) Something like this is an honest challenge, and all of the required items are at GZ.

Later!

There used to be one here where the coordinates for the hiding spot of the key were in the description for a travel bug. The TB itself didn't move as it was in the owner's possession.

You used a hint from the cache page to learn you needed to browse the list of past trackables in the puzzle cache, found the correct TB listing, got the coordinates and then found the key. No proximity issues, no TBs going missing, no fuss, no muss.

So glad someone brought this up.

My question and I hope someone like Mtn10bike or someone else up the food chain can give me a real answer.

I noticed traditionals are now off the guidelines, so it is hard now to explain what they are. Use to say something like

1) get coords

2) follow gps to cache

3) find cache

4) sign log

5) put cache back

6) log cache on site

That's it and anything else would be like an ALR or be considered a puzzle or multi.

So what if you find a Traditional like I mentioned except to open the cache to sign the log you have to do a small little field puzzle to find the key to open the box to sign it.

Is that still a traditional?????

I was told if they had the attribute it is okay. Then how is it still a traditional.

Sorry if I highjacked this but I didn't want to start another topic that is still the same.

Edited by jellis

I am wondering if anyone has ever found or hidden a cache that requires a cacher to find a tool or key of some sort in order to open the geocache container. For example a 2 stage multi cache that would provide the tool or key at stage 1 which opens or is required to retrieve the container the final/stage 2. If so, will you please point me to these caches? Thanks!

i did. had to craft a 10 foot pole with magnet on end. most just cheated and parked their car next to the spot, got on the roof and made it a P&G. some were climbing the pole and grabbing it until one did that and accidentally dropped it in the pipe. its since been archived. :surprise:

You need to find a bottle

Fill it with water

Then fill a tube to reveal a plug

Then take the plug to another tube, plug the bottom and repeat to reveal a magnet tool

Take the magnet tool to another location to retreive a key

Take the key to another lockation to open a lock

which reveals the co-ordinates to the final

phew

Pointy tools required to retreive box with co-ordinates

Tube in tube to reveal telescopic magnet

Use this to retrieve more coordinates from a fourth location and four digit code

Use code on combination lock

This reveals location for final container

I launched a cache last year where when you arrive at Stage 1, there is a Ammo Can with a wordlock on it. Attached to the Ammo Can is a small bison with 1 of the 4 letters needed to open the lock. You then have to travel to the other 3 caches to retrieve the letters to open the lock back at Stage 1. When you open the Ammo can, there is a map that shows you just completed the letter O on the map. It's all part of a 6 part series to spell ZOMBIE across two counties in Maryland. I'm almost done... just need to spell and E :)

I found one that was a single cache, that was really cool. The cache was a long tube and you needed a magnet to get the inner container with the log out. The magnet was inside (cannot see it) the lid of the container. And the cache did not say how to get the inner container out. Fun and unless someone took off with the lid, no problem losing the magnet.

I found one that was a single cache, that was really cool. The cache was a long tube and you needed a magnet to get the inner container with the log out. The magnet was inside (cannot see it) the lid of the container. And the cache did not say how to get the inner container out. Fun and unless someone took off with the lid, no problem losing the magnet.

You mean something

which
tell me

The last one cachers have even cut it down from the fence to sign the log!

(note all links are video spoilers)

Pointy tools required to retreive box with co-ordinates

Tube in tube to reveal telescopic magnet

Use this to retrieve more coordinates from a fourth location and four digit code

Use code on combination lock

This reveals location for final container

enjoyed the videos. very nice!

No offense but it looks like a pipe bomb. Is it marked as a geocache?

To take the key concept to a higher level, have a look at GCXH2C which you may find interesting.

I do have a number of different types that required one to use a tool or key to open the container. The one that most fits your question is one called Cypress Manor (Since been archived but will be redone shortly) and there are two copies of it in other states. It's for the Birds - GC1WAHE is one that is still activity.

As a previous poster said, you can't tell much from the cache page, but this is one of my all-time favs:

Pork Rinds

It's now archived, so I can divulge a bit more. You found a tool kit that contained things like a couple of small fishing poles (one with a magnet, one with a hook, etc.) that you would need to "fish" small containers out of pieces of PVC pipe. Each container held a portion of the final coords. There was a third tool, I believe, but can't remember what it was. As also stated previously, the final was hidden near the toolkit, which made getting everything put back a bit easier.

Did this one with my kid, it's still one we talk about - lots of fun.

I found one where you had to then move on to get the key to unlock it, actually a bunch of about 30 keys and only 1 fit, thankfully we started at the right end!

We found a similar one, a joke cache where stage 1 included a huge keyring with at least 50 keys on it. It weighed a ton, and we couldn't help laughing at the prospect of what lay ahead. There were a few funny intermediate steps, and then the final was an ammo can that had a thick L-shaped piece of metal attached to it, covering the latch, with a padlock.

After trying maybe a dozen of the keys, we had a hunch that proved to be correct: the L-shaped thingy could pivot out of the way, leaving the latch easily accessible, so there was no need to unlock it at all. More laughter all around.

We found a similar one, a joke cache where stage 1 included a huge keyring with at least 50 keys on it. It weighed a ton, and we couldn't help laughing at the prospect of what lay ahead. There were a few funny intermediate steps, and then the final was an ammo can that had a thick L-shaped piece of metal attached to it, covering the latch, with a padlock.

After trying maybe a dozen of the keys, we had a hunch that proved to be correct: the L-shaped thingy could pivot out of the way, leaving the latch easily accessible, so there was no need to unlock it at all. More laughter all around.

(spoiler videoed with permission from CO)

My mom has an idea... she wants to attach a lock box (like what realters use) with a keypad to a fence. The code to open it will be in the hint, or possibly part of a puzzle... Then you use the combination pad to open it and get a Key... then a few feet away will be a box with a lock that you need the key for.

Great idea. Seen many around here like that. Combo in the hint you can keep it as a traditional. Any more complicated it would be wise to make it a puzzle.

My mom has an idea... she wants to attach a lock box (like what realters use) with a keypad to a fence. The code to open it will be in the hint, or possibly part of a puzzle... Then you use the combination pad to open it and get a Key... then a few feet away will be a box with a lock that you need the key for.

Been there, done that...but it's still a god idea. :)

Actually, the key was simply in a key hider hidden nearby the locked container (that was in plain sight).