Is it really possible to find 680 in one day?

Rayswrld

I was out caching last week and noticed that every cache I found that day (10) had been found by someone else on the same day. When I got home I was curious and looked up this cacher. They had an unbelievable amount of caches and their stats stated that on one particular day they had found 680 caches. How is this possible? If they cached for twenty four hours that would be twenty eight per hour. It takes me three hours to do ten. Has anyone else had this kind of number or anything close to it, and how was it accomplished? I am just curious.

Power trail..... there are tales of close to 900 floating around these parts...... I guess they want quantity of quality......

I have personally done 20 in slight over 3 hours. The only reason we slowed down was a child that was with us broke a tooth.

I see ~100 in a day with the proper planning on a trail that is saturated ...... easily doable......

I was out caching last week and noticed that every cache I found that day (10) had been found by someone else on the same day. When I got home I was curious and looked up this cacher. They had an unbelievable amount of caches and their stats stated that on one particular day they had found 680 caches. How is this possible? If they cached for twenty four hours that would be twenty eight per hour. It takes me three hours to do ten. Has anyone else had this kind of number or anything close to it, and how was it accomplished? I am just curious.

I think they must be cheating. 100 in a day is crazy, much less 680. :o

I see ~100 in a day with the proper planning on a trail that is saturated ...... easily doable......

Yeah, but 680 caches in a day is about one every two minutes. That's two minutes to travel a tenth of a mile, find a hidden object. open it, sign the log and hide it again, and only if it's done twenty-four hours, straight.

Watching a few of the videos I saw people averaging just over a cache a minute using legit methods, no container swapping. Given an amazing capability for enduring monotony and a lot of coffee there is no reason that pace can't be kept up for 24 hours. Never underestimate a geocacher, especially when numbers are on the line.

Throw in container swapping (which I don't consider geocaching) you can probably get that time per cache to under a minute.

Edited by briansnat

Throw in container swapping

...and you might as well just drive down the road at 25 MPH and say you did them.

By next month the first 20, 30, (or more) won't have your signature in them anyway.

Just grab a few in the area that aren't a part of the trail (and which logs might be more closely scrutinized by someone) and your claim appears legit. Actually, if you did drive the whole road, your claim IS as legit as anyone else's.

Since no one seems to really want to answer the OP with an EXPLANATION, I will. OP apparently you have not heard of the vaunted Power Trail. These are long strings of caches set up on lonley roads, where a cache is placed every 1/10th of a mile right next to the road. The containers are the same thing, over and over again. Usually a film type container or similar, under a pile of roacks (sometimes not even that) right next to a gaurdrail post. Some people go so far as carry containers with them, complete with a log presigned, so all you have to do is pick up the old container and replace it with the new. Others actually sign or replace the log but use the orignal container. It is often done in groups sometimes in a single car with a driver and others taking turns jumping out and making the grab. Sometimes it's a group of two or more cars witha few people in each leap frogging each other. Using these methods, it is not impossible for a group of cachers to log a cache every minute or two. Starting at midnight and doing this until midnight the next day, they are able to log several hundered or sometimes even over a thousand caches in a single day...

Some people really like this type of caching, or more accurately, they like the numbers associated with them. Yes, there are Videos out there showing cachers participating in these runs, having a blast and really enjoying themsleves, I for one can't imagine such monotony being much fun but thats jsut me. Some people get e huge thrill every time they lift a lamp post skirt too. the world is filled with diversity... <_<

Just like what you read on the forum, keep an open mind as to what you see in the field. Geocaching rules are broad and open to many interpretations as to what is a Find. There are many ways to enhance the numbers. However finding and logging 2,500+ caches in a day is a record that is probably so yesterday as a team find. <_< Don't think you will find very many people bosting of this many finds (as a lone wolf) unless they had help from (1) being part of a geocaching team, and or (2) running on a power trail. Anything less is questionable.

Edited by TorgtheViking

Here's

that people are referring to. It shows a team finding three power trail caches in less than three minutes.

Looks like they are having fun, so good luck to them. Caching acquaintances of ours have done a Power Trail and had a blast. They have excellent staying power. We've done a logging road trail, slower, dustier and more bumpy, but a lot of fun. Even if the numbers weren't so high - we enjoyed ourselves.

So, in answer to the OP, yes, the number you mention is doable, and I've heard of higher numbers. I hear it is all in the planning...

Here's

that people are referring to. It shows a team finding three power trail caches in less than three minutes.

Looks like they are having fun, so good luck to them. Caching acquaintances of ours have done a Power Trail and had a blast. They have excellent staying power. We've done a logging road trail, slower, dustier and more bumpy, but a lot of fun. Even if the numbers weren't so high - we enjoyed ourselves.

So, in answer to the OP, yes, the number you mention is doable, and I've heard of higher numbers. I hear it is all in the planning...

You're right about the planning. My friend and his buddy start planning a couple of months in advance as to supplies, tactics, etc. and after each time they do this they evaluate how they can do better next time. After this run they have decided they are at the point the must go into training a few months before to fight the physical exhaustion part. They have a blast doing this, but it sure isn't my cup of tea!

Here's

Surely that is not the real power trail caching I have read so much about in these forums? I don't see any container swapping nor car leapfrogging going on in that video. Maybe, just maybe not everyone who is running these trails is doing those activities? Or perhaps it was just edited out?

Here's

Surely that is not the real power trail caching I have read so much about in these forums? I don't see any container swapping nor car leapfrogging going on in that video. Maybe, just maybe not everyone who is running these trails is doing those activities? Or perhaps it was just edited out?

Surely, geocaches are not hidden under light pole skirts. I went out one day awhile back and found six geocaches and didn't find a single one under a light pole skirt.

While I appreciate the fact that you guys didn't partake in some of the questionable practices that others have done, that doesn't mean that container swapping, leapfrogging, driving over sensitive areas isn't happening.

Certainly if a family of cachers decides to split up one day and hit several cache series at the same time, then big numbers can be found legitimately. We all know that 100-200 is quite feasible in one day, so if you have an account that is shared by (say) two parents and four teenagers then 600+ should be reasonable without having to go out for more than 10 hours.

Even if they all do the same trail together it will be possible to log a cache every minute, with a bit of organisation.

Although I'd guess in this case that someone wasn't too bothered about the exact dates of the cache finds and rolled several days into one. Or something similar.

Anyway if they aren't claiming any sort of record and all the cache logs were signed then it doesn't matter.

While I appreciate the fact that you guys didn't partake in some of the questionable practices that others have done, that doesn't mean that container swapping, leapfrogging, driving over sensitive areas isn't happening.

You're absolutely right. It does happen and IMO it is not geocaching. At least not how I want to geocache. However, just because it is happening doesn't mean all or most who cache a power trail do those things. Just because a person enjoys the occasional power trail doesn't mean they use any of those questionable practices.

Some see a grueling, boring day spent cooped up in a car with other people. We enjoyed the camaraderie with good friends and the memories made and yes, the numbers gained. We had a heck of a good time and I'll never forget that day. There were ups and downs. The mental wall we had to get beyond about the halfway point, a message we left for cachers we know that would be there the next day, a chase to cache another caching car we followed for several miles before catching, the wardrobe malfunction, the lack of any other cars for miles and miles at the western end, the lunch at an old, abandoned service station, the tires at 800, the milestones and mini-celebrations, 150 (pronounced one fitty), the exhaustion as we neared the end.

Obviously, it's not for everyone. I just hope people realize that a power trail doesn't mean you have to swap containers or leapfrog or that all do that.

Edited by nittany dave

Here's

Surely, geocaches are not hidden under light pole skirts. I went out one day awhile back and found six geocaches and didn't find a single one under a light pole skirt.

It happens, we all know that but everyone who racks up amazingly large numbers isn't necessarily doing it.

I just hope people realize that a power trail doesn't mean you have to swap containers or leapfrog or that all do that.

If it's done with the consent of the cache owner, then I don't see what the problem is with swapping identical containers.

If I was doing a power trail solo or with my wife, then we'd probably do it the traditional way -- just so we could compare apples and apples when comparing our own most finds in a day. But if I teamed up with several others and most of them wanted to swap containers, then I don't see the harm in doing so. But maybe that's because I don't compare my most finds in a day with other peoples'.

Why even be concerned with how many other people get or can do.. or if they even truly did it? Just do your own cache finds, have fun and not even glance or think how others might achieve such a high number of caches in a day.. I've done a few mini power trails and get burned out after a few hours. It's fun from time to time but in moderation. Some will never do them and more power to them actually :-)

Here's

It happens, we all know that but everyone who racks up amazingly large numbers isn't necessarily doing it.

I'm well aware that there are a lot of geocachers which have racked up large numbers without resorting to "craative geocaching practices". However, what wimseyguy seems to be implying is that those that are critical about power trails are misrepresenting how some choose to do them because the video three finds on that trail doesn't show any of those questionable practices. We have also seen a lot of evidence where others *are* leapfrogging, container swapping, engaging in unsafe driving, and driving in environmentally sensitive areas. More than that, because the purpose of power trails is to provide the means for others to find as many caches as possible as quickly as possible, their very existence encourages practices that most would not consider acceptable for non-power trail geocaching. I really don't care for the premise that there can be one set of acceptable practices for "traditional" geocaching, and another for power trails, especially when some of those practices have the potential to give the entire game of geocaching a bloody nose.

I just hope people realize that a power trail doesn't mean you have to swap containers or leapfrog or that all do that.

If it's done with the consent of the cache owner, then I don't see what the problem is with swapping identical containers.

If I was doing a power trail solo or with my wife, then we'd probably do it the traditional way -- just so we could compare apples and apples when comparing our own most finds in a day. But if I teamed up with several others and most of them wanted to swap containers, then I don't see the harm in doing so. But maybe that's because I don't compare my most finds in a day with other peoples'.

I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. If someone doesn't find a cache and the cache owner says it's fine to log a find, or if someone logs a cache from his armchair and the cache owner leaves the log, then it's a find. That doesn't make it geocaching. If you go to a golf course and throw the ball into the holes it may be a lot of fun, but don't call it golf.

Edited by briansnat

I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. If someone doesn't find a cache and the cache owner says it's fine to log a find, or if someone logs a cache from his armchair and the cache owner leaves the log, then it's a find. That doesn't make it geocaching. If you go to a golf course and throw the ball into the holes it may be a lot of fun, but don't call it golf.

+1

+1

Since no one seems to really want to answer the OP with an EXPLANATION, I will. OP apparently you have not heard of the vaunted Power Trail. These are long strings of caches set up on lonley roads, where a cache is placed every 1/10th of a mile right next to the road. The containers are the same thing, over and over again. Usually a film type container or similar, under a pile of roacks (sometimes not even that) right next to a gaurdrail post. Some people go so far as carry containers with them, complete with a log presigned, so all you have to do is pick up the old container and replace it with the new. Others actually sign or replace the log but use the orignal container. It is often done in groups sometimes in a single car with a driver and others taking turns jumping out and making the grab. Sometimes it's a group of two or more cars witha few people in each leap frogging each other. Using these methods, it is not impossible for a group of cachers to log a cache every minute or two. Starting at midnight and doing this until midnight the next day, they are able to log several hundered or sometimes even over a thousand caches in a single day...

Some people really like this type of caching, or more accurately, they like the numbers associated with them. Yes, there are Videos out there showing cachers participating in these runs, having a blast and really enjoying themsleves, I for one can't imagine such monotony being much fun but thats jsut me. Some people get e huge thrill every time they lift a lamp post skirt too. the world is filled with diversity... <_<

I just met a family of cachers and I asked them about their accomplishment of 612 caches in one day. They told me of a highway in Nevada that is just as you described, with 1500 caches placed every 1/10th of a mile and they spent 10 hours racking them up. Their running total of caches is almost 50,000. They were incredibly nice people and I hope to meet them again.

I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. If someone doesn't find a cache and the cache owner says it's fine to log a find, or if someone logs a cache from his armchair and the cache owner leaves the log, then it's a find. That doesn't make it geocaching.

You might want to read my comment again. I didn't say what you appear to think I said. If, with the owner's consent, I replace a broken cache container with a new one, would you still argue that this is not geocaching?

:lostsignal: :lostsignal:

I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. If someone doesn't find a cache and the cache owner says it's fine to log a find, or if someone logs a cache from his armchair and the cache owner leaves the log, then it's a find. That doesn't make it geocaching.

You might want to read my comment again. I didn't say what you appear to think I said. If, with the owner's consent, I replace a broken cache container with a new one, would you still argue that this is not geocaching?

I thought finding the original log in the orginal container, than signing the original log in the original container, finally replacing the original log in the original container in it's original original hiding spot was geocaching? Was anything part this, or part that, still called geocaching? It would seem one would want to wait until the cache owner replaces the cache before finding and taking credit for the original cache?

I thought finding the original log in the orginal container, than signing the original log in the original container, finally replacing the original log in the original container in it's original original hiding spot was geocaching? Was anything part this, or part that, still called geocaching? It would seem one would want to wait until the cache owner replaces the cache before finding and taking credit for the original cache?

Undoubtedly, geocaching means different things to different people. Your definition apparently would exclude events, virtuals, EarthCaches, GPS Adventure Exhibits, webcams, CITOs, and block parties. Other peoples' definitions of geocaching would include some or all of these.

Some people will refuse to replace damaged geocache containers, even with the owners' permission. Other people are happy to do so.

Here's

I'm well aware that there are a lot of geocachers which have racked up large numbers without resorting to "craative geocaching practices". However, what wimseyguy seems to be implying is that those that are critical about power trails are misrepresenting how some choose to do them because the video three finds on that trail doesn't show any of those questionable practices. We have also seen a lot of evidence where others *are* leapfrogging, container swapping, engaging in unsafe driving, and driving in environmentally sensitive areas. More than that, because the purpose of power trails is to provide the means for others to find as many caches as possible as quickly as possible, their very existence encourages practices that most would not consider acceptable for non-power trail geocaching. I really don't care for the premise that there can be one set of acceptable practices for "traditional" geocaching, and another for power trails, especially when some of those practices have the potential to give the entire game of geocaching a bloody nose.

Thanks for clarifying my thoughts or what seem to be my thoughts for everyone else. <_<

The OP asked a question about how it was possible to find so many caches in a short period of time. I think that video answered his question. Feel free to post links to other videos that demonstrate your answers to the OP questions.

Edited by wimseyguy

Here's

Any place that allows free range cattle is by definition not environmentally sensitive.

Your [TorgtheViking's] definition apparently would exclude events, virtuals, EarthCaches, GPS Adventure Exhibits, webcams, CITOs, and block parties.
I thought the caches along numbers run trails were listed as traditional caches. In that case, "Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location" should apply.

Some people will refuse to replace damaged geocache containers, even with the owners' permission. Other people are happy to do so.
What does this have to do with container swapping on numbers run trails? Are people replacing broken film canisters with intact ones? And then repairing the broken film canisters en route to the next cache locations so they can be used to replace the broken film canisters they'll find there?

FWIW, I agree that container swapping is okay with the consent of the cache owner. I still don't think it's geocaching, but as long as the cache owner consents, others can swap the CO's film canisters for other film canisters all day long. The real problem comes when people extend this container swapping to caches where the CO does not consent.

Your [TorgtheViking's] definition apparently would exclude events, virtuals, EarthCaches, GPS Adventure Exhibits, webcams, CITOs, and block parties.

I thought the caches along numbers run trails were listed as traditional caches. In that case, "Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location" should apply.

Here's TorgtheViking's definition of "geocaching:"

I thought finding the original log in the orginal container, than signing the original log in the original container, finally replacing the original log in the original container in it's original original hiding spot was geocaching? Was anything part this, or part that, still called geocaching?

Even if he intended that to be the definition of "geocaching for traditional caches," my point remains. Undoubtedly, geocaching for traditional caches means different things to different people. Some people sign replacement logs in replacement containers and consider this to be geocaching for traditional caches. Some people don't bother to sign physical logs, while other people will usually sign physical logs but not always. When searching in groups, some people will let the person who finds the cache sign the log for everyone in the group. Some people will return the container to where they found it, while others will replace it in a less exposed location if it appears to have moved or fallen. Some people will swap containers with the owner's permission, while others won't.

One of the things I like about geocaching is that, to a large degree, it allows people to shape the activity to best suit their individual preferences. There is no one definition of geocaching. It means different things to different people.

Edit to add: If we want to establish an official record for finding the most caches in a single day, then it would be wise to create some conditions for claiming such a record. As far as I know, however, there is no such official record.

Edited by CanadianRockies

What does this have to do with container swapping on numbers run trails?

I didn't think it was necessary to constantly reproduce quotes within quotes within quotes, but maybe I was wrong. Here is the relevant information:

My point to briansnat is that doing certain things with the owner's permission is okay, but that isn't the same as saying doing anything with the owner's permission is okay.

My comment also is related to swapping containers on power trails in that it points out that swapping containers with the owner's permission is a generally accepted practice among geocachers.

Oops sorry, I thought you said "If it's done with the consent of the cache owner, then I don't see what the problem is with swapping identical containers."

Here's

Any place that allows free range cattle is by definition not environmentally sensitive.

Some wilderness areas allow the grazing of livestock yet are considered too sensitive for geocaching.

Oops sorry, I thought you said "If it's done with the consent of the cache owner, then I don't see what the problem is with swapping identical containers."

And from that you got: I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. How odd.

And from that you got: I guess anything is OK with the consent of the cache owner. How odd.

You defend a non-standard practice because it's OK with the cache owner. The logical conclusion is that other non-standard practices are also perfectly fine as long as the CO is good with it.

Undoubtedly, geocaching means different things to different people. Your definition apparently would exclude events, virtuals, EarthCaches, GPS Adventure Exhibits, webcams, CITOs, and block parties. Other peoples' definitions of geocaching would include some or all of these.

My definition means more that what you or I have written here,and not limited to all the above caches, or words or grammer illustrated above. My definition intentionally excluded "events, virtuals, EarthCaches, GPS Adventure Exhibits, webcams, CITOs, and block parties". My definition was using tradional caches as one example to make a point and to call attention to people taking liberties with basic rules to pad their numbers by taking short cuts. So you say those who take short cuts are really geocaching? I guess we agree to disagree. :lol:

Edited by TorgtheViking

You defend a non-standard practice because it's OK with the cache owner. The logical conclusion is that other non-standard practices are also perfectly fine as long as the CO is good with it.

Um, not a logical conclusion at all. If a cache owner says it's okay to post spoilers about their cache (a non-standard practice), that doesn't mean it's okay to write profane logs with the cache owner's permission. But it's still okay to post spoilers.

Um, not a logical conclusion at all. If a cache owner says it's okay to post spoilers about their cache (a non-standard practice), that doesn't mean it's okay to write profane logs with the cache owner's permission. But it's still okay to post spoilers.

It's not OK to attack the FTF with baseball bats with the CO's permission either. But using the CO permission standard a lot of things can occur that do not resemble geocaching as the larger community defines it. Container swapping is one of them.

The basic elements of geocachng are navigating to the cache, finding it, then returning the container to its original location. Once you get away from that you ain't geocaching.

Edited by briansnat

Some wilderness areas allow the grazing of livestock yet are considered too sensitive for geocaching.

Too sensitive for geocaching or just "don't want geocaches there"? There are plenty of places that allow just about anything under the sun except geocaching. It doesn't make that area environmentally sensitive...the land-owner just doesn't want geocaches on the property.

Here's

That would be more interesting if you were to walk from one cache to the next. When tired have someone waiting in the car to come pick you up.

Um, how are you supposed to rack up huge numbers of finds walking. I think you're totally missing the point.

What I really think someone should do is try it on a motorcycle. A motorcycle can get up to top speed faster than the average passenger car or SUV. No doors to open and close. One driver and one cache hunter. Make sure the cache hunter is a fast runner. The guys in that video aren't going to win many races.

I don't think we've yet reached the maximum number of finds in 24 hours. Eventually we'll get to a point where it's physically impossible to find more but we're not there yet.

It's not OK to attack the FTF with baseball bats with the CO's permission either. But using the CO permission standard a lot of things can occur that do not resemble geocaching as the larger community defines it.

Agreed.

The basic elements of geocachng are navigating to the cache, finding it, then returning the container to its original location. Once you get away from that you ain't geocaching.

They aren't geocaching as you define it. But there isn't a single definition of geocaching. Different people define it differently.

One of the things I like about geocaching is that, to a large degree, it allows people to shape the activity to best suit their individual preferences. If some people want to swap containers with the cache owner's permission, then they can. If other people don't want to swap, then they don't. Everybody has fun in their own way.

It's not OK to attack the FTF with baseball bats with the CO's permission either. But using the CO permission standard a lot of things can occur that do not resemble geocaching as the larger community defines it.

Agreed.

They aren't geocaching as you define it. But there isn't a single definition of geocaching. Different people define it differently.

One of the things I like about geocaching is that, to a large degree, it allows people to shape the activity to best suit their individual preferences. If some people want to swap containers with the cache owner's permission, then they can. If other people don't want to swap, then they don't. Everybody has fun in their own way.

And there's nothing wrong with that *unless" the way that one group of geocachers chooses to have their fun impacts the enjoyment of others that do *not* choose to play that game in the same manner.

In an earlier message you wrote "My comment also is related to swapping containers on power trails in that it points out that swapping containers with the owner's permission is a generally accepted practice among geocachers."

While swapping container may be a generally accepted practice among geocachers that do power trails, it is *not* a generally accepted practice for non-power trail caching.

Leapfrogging has become an acceptable practice for power trails (by probably less so than container swapping), but is not generally acceptable for non-power trail caching.

The use of cut-n-paste is a generally accepted practice for power trails, but I would be willing to bet that most cache owners prefer distinct logs when someone finds more than one of their caches. The use of stickers is common place for power trail, but for non-power trail caches there have been many that argue against them.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that finds the use of a different set of standards for power trail and non-power trail caches bothersome.

Ever read the logs on some of the caches that are close to (and pre-existed) power trails? I have, and it's been somewhat obvious that those doing power trails and also finding some of the nearby caches that are *not* part of the power trail treat them in the same manner as the do the hundreds of other finds they had that day. In one instance, near the Route 66 trail, I read a few cut-n-paste "Found the container. TFTC" by someone that posted the same cut-n-paste log on an Earthcache that happened to be nearby.

In other words, even though there are generally acceptable practices for power trails, there are some that are using those same practices on caches which pre-existed the power trail, practices for which the cache owner has *not* given permission.