owner log a find on own cache

skyye53

On-topic, with just a hint of off-topic, getting sent to the proper place.

A "HINT" of Off-Topic?!? :unsure:

Refernce to Torry? Wheels of cheese? Half-naked pigs? Break room references? Links to the Shortest Thread? Talk about the World Series and massaging massive egos? The Daily News? Oh, yeah... this is gonna make a LOT of sense to the Geocaching Topics folks. :blink:

Refernce to Torry? Wheels of cheese? Half-naked pigs? Break room references? Links to the Shortest Thread? Talk about the World Series and massaging massive egos? The Daily News? Oh, yeah... this is gonna make a LOT of sense to the Geocaching Topics folks. :blink:

IATM :lol:

Edited by Dgwphotos

IATM :lol:

Wouldn't that be, FIATM?

...wakes up

...looks around

... assesses the situation.

(Those Ss are a bit too sizzly this early in the morning.)

... considers sausages for breakfast.

Let's look at this another way, guys: This topic may be enough to encourage loads of Regular Members to become Premium Members just so they can expand their Forum Horizon to come and enjoy the amazing delights of Off Topic Repartee.

Or not. :huh:

MrsB

But to answer your question, no. The CO gets credit under the caches owned side. Like you. I see you have 110 cache hides to your credit. Try not to worry about the numbers. You'll have more fun that way.

Event owners can, do, and should log an attended on their own events. See my signature for a funny view on how most of us see cache owners that log finds on their own caches.

No I don't think you should be able to log your own cache. At the same time I don't feel you should log your own event either for the same reason as GOF and Bacall gave for logging your own cache. If you are hosting an event it is already assumed that you are attending and you got credit for your attendance on your Geocaches Owned list

Let me be the first non off topic poster to comment. No. :)

Which question are you responding to? There are several in the OP:

2. has anyone ever thought that a cache owner ought to be GIVEN THE number just like any other cacher?
  3. if it were not for cache owners how could the game go on?
  4. long after the other folks have added and added to their numbers??? (that one wasn't really a question, but there were 3 question marks at the end of the sentence, so I've included it in this list because it really looked like it wanted to be a question)
  5. dare I say the shark food word; NUMBERS???
  6. So will someone let us know if a cache owner can claim a log/find on their own geocache without negativity
  7. why can cache owners not claim the number for the hide they give

Let me be the first non off topic poster to comment. No. :)

Which question are you responding to? There are several in the OP:

2. has anyone ever thought that a cache owner ought to be GIVEN THE number just like any other cacher?
  3. if it were not for cache owners how could the game go on?
  4. long after the other folks have added and added to their numbers??? (that one wasn't really a question, but there were 3 question marks at the end of the sentence, so I've included it in this list because it really looked like it wanted to be a question)
  5. dare I say the shark food word; NUMBERS???
  6. So will someone let us know if a cache owner can claim a log/find on their own geocache without negativity
  7. why can cache owners not claim the number for the hide they give

No to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Just kidding. :lol:

Well, of course you CAN log a find on a cache you hid. I guess the question is, why isn't it "socially acceptable"? I don't have an answer for that. But I don't think it ever will be.

But to answer your question, no. The CO gets credit under the caches owned side. Like you. I see you have 110 cache hides to your credit. Try not to worry about the numbers. You'll have more fun that way.

Event owners can, do, and should log an attended on their own events. See my signature for a funny view on how most of us see cache owners that log finds on their own caches.

No I don't think you should be able to log your own cache. At the same time I don't feel you should log your own event either for the same reason as GOF and Bacall gave for logging your own cache. If you are hosting an event it is already assumed that you are attending and you got credit for your attendance on your Geocaches Owned list

I have hosted an event that I didn't get to attend.

The person who host our monthly breakfast hasn't attended several of his events.

Your assumption that you attend you own events is false.

That is why I "attend" my own events.

No to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Just kidding. :lol:

Let's try to remain serious here, shall we? After all, this is the Geocaching Topics forum, not Off-topic.

I guess the question is, why isn't it "socially acceptable"?

Ah. Interesting question.

With respect to patterns of acceptable behaviors within any social group, there are three types of "norms".

The first type are behavioral norms. These are the most common behaviors actually exhibited by most or all members of a social group.

The second type are attitudinal norms. These are the generally shared beliefs or expectations in a social group about how other members of the group ought to behave in various circumstances.

The third type is the beer drinking guy from Cheers who always sits in the same place at the bar.

Since most people don't log finds on their own caches, and because most cachers don't expect them to, not doing so is both a behavioral norm and an attitudinal norm. Therefore, it is unlikely that this particular social pattern will change.

The guy from Cheers has little to do with this discussion. I only mentioned him because his name was raised earlier in this discussion, back when the topic was off-topic.

I can understand your desire to hide from the general forum, but your question really is Geocaching related and should be posted there. Don't worry about getting flamed... that generally only happens when somebody comes roaring in with a massage ego and attitude, and I think it is pretty clear that you don't fit that profile.

too funny

thanks for making my FIRST forum post memorable...and not gonna go to geocache blog- that would like sticking pins in my eyes and having to pretend I liked it

ciao for now

forgot to say- entered this spot because it appeared friendly- i do not consider the geocaching site friendly per se- all too many hard core very serious and competitive folks scares the geo doo doo so i shall just mosseeee along and try to be more newbie...heeheehee

You can log finds on your own caches, just the same as you can reply to your own posts.

I only log finds on my caches with my 42 sock puppets however.

Good point there, buckaroo!!

Forgot to use one of your sock puppets? :ph34r:

I was KIDDING !

I can understand your desire to hide from the general forum, but your question really is Geocaching related and should be posted there. Don't worry about getting flamed... that generally only happens when somebody comes roaring in with a massage ego and attitude, and I think it is pretty clear that you don't fit that profile.

too funny

thanks for making my FIRST forum post memorable...and not gonna go to geocache blog- that would like sticking pins in my eyes and having to pretend I liked it

ciao for now

forgot to say- entered this spot because it appeared friendly- i do not consider the geocaching site friendly per se- all too many hard core very serious and competitive folks scares the geo doo doo so i shall just mosseeee along and try to be more newbie...heeheehee

You can log finds on your own caches, just the same as you can reply to your own posts.

I was KIDDING !

Oh, hush up.

too funny

ciao for now

I was KIDDING !

Oh sure. NOW you're kidding, when our thread has gone all public on us.

It's still our thread unless they delete 90% of the posts.

So pull up a stool, and grab a donut and a beer.

:omnomnom: :omnomnom:

...wakes up

...looks around

... assesses the situation.

(Those Ss are a bit too sizzly this early in the morning.)

... considers sausages for breakfast.

Let's look at this another way, guys: This topic may be enough to encourage loads of Regular Members to become Premium Members just so they can expand their Forum Horizon to come and enjoy the amazing delights of Off Topic Repartee.

Or not. :huh:

MrsB

Good one Mrs. B!!!

Enjoy your morning tea and have a good day caching!!

too funny

ciao for now

I was KIDDING !

Off topic junkies invade Geocaching topics forum....

They think they're funny but they're not.....

The sound of no one laughing....

There how's that? Still feel like your thread? :)

too funny

ciao for now

I was KIDDING !

Off topic junkies invade Geocaching topics forum....

They think they're funny but they're not.....

The sound of no one laughing....

There how's that? Still feel like your thread? :)

Off topic junkies bemoan the loss of a favourite thread to the forum where it could very likely take a nasty turn. :(

It was fun and games and pleasantness in OT. :D

We fear for what could happen to it over here. :blink:

The person who host our monthly breakfast hasn't attended several of his events.

Same here, I've hosted events and not attended. I also wish that we could DNF events. I happens. :blink:

Same here, I've hosted events and not attended. I also wish that we could DNF events. I happens. :blink:

I almost DNFed the first event we attended. Upstairs in the basement is kinda confusing unless you bravely forge ahead.

but you still got credit for hosting the event, why should you also get credit for attending? That's just my opinion, which I know doesn't count for anything and I'm not losing any sleep over knowing that others feel different. after all it is just a game

but you still got credit for hosting the event, why should you also get credit for attending? That's just my opinion, which I know doesn't count for anything and I'm not losing any sleep over knowing that others feel different. after all it is just a game

I do see the point, although I log my own events.

A lot of the events that I've hosted/co hosted are under different accounts. It's more of a group activity a lot times. My profile says that I've created 5 events, but I've actually created/hosted/co hosted about 25.

Edited by Ambrosia
but you still got credit for hosting the event, why should you also get credit for attending?

Personally, I don't treat it as a "credit" issue. I don't pay a lot of attention to what it says on the left side, (caches found), of my Geocache Information page, nor do I pay a lot of attention to what it says on the right side, (caches owned). I prefer to look at it as a matter of statistical accuracy, for whatever that's worth. For instance, one hard and fast rule I've imposed upon myself is, I absolutely refuse to log an "Attended" on any event of mine I didn't actually attend. I suppose if the community, as a whole, (or most of a hole), declared that posting an attended on an event you own was in bad form, I might feel differently... maybe.

but you still got credit for hosting the event, why should you also get credit for attending?

Personally, I don't treat it as a "credit" issue. I don't pay a lot of attention to what it says on the left side, (caches found), of my Geocache Information page, nor do I pay a lot of attention to what it says on the right side, (caches owned). I prefer to look at it as a matter of statistical accuracy, for whatever that's worth. For instance, one hard and fast rule I've imposed upon myself is, I absolutely refuse to log an "Attended" on any event of mine I didn't actually attend. I suppose if the community, as a whole, (or most of a hole), declared that posting an attended on an event you own was in bad form, I might feel differently... maybe.

I thought this thread was gone. Are the OT people still mad at me? :ph34r: I was just doing a spoof of that common prose used over there. But that was years ago, and I see there's pretty much a new crowd there these days.

Yes, I don't think logging attended for events you host has ever been considered "bad form", such as logging finds for caches you hid is considered bad form. I logged one for the only event I ever hosted here 6 years ago. I have hosted one on a different Geocaching website, and I'm quite sure it will be annual, and I posted an attended log over there too, and will continue to. And it's entirely possible I could miss one of them. No, I wouldn't attend that, if I wasn't there.

Oh c'mon, just having some fun with you "OT junkies". Pup Patrol got it. The person who felt the need to edit their post is free to ignore me. Or Geocide again, whatever works.

Actually, after re-reading your post I got it. Thus the editing of the snark.

The "Or Geocide again, whatever works" comment, however was uncalled for and frankly I am getting a bit tired of your personal digs against me.

If I offended you somehow in the past, I apologize. But I am quite sure I have not done anything to you recently. So if you don't mind, back off!

What are those pigs (and all pigs on BBQ signs) so happy about? Are they smiling because it's not THEM that's on the plate? Don't they know that they're next?

Good question!

Personally, I find it disturbing that they are wearing shirts but no pants.

No no no you have it all wrong. It's a scientifically proven method to find better bbq. According to Doctor Fishingfools, the more anthropomorphic the pig is on the sign, the better the Q is inside the restaurant. If there is a bored pig just standing there, lower your expectations. But if he is clad even only halfway in overalls, daisy dukes, or even a bib and hat, is playing a banjo or holding a knife and fork, and doing a gleeful jig, you must stop or risk passing by some of the best Q available for miles.