Stalked on gc.com

U.N.C.L.E.

Advice sought.

Without going into detail, I'm being stalked on gc.com. A person I used to know is using their gc.com account to check my geocaching activity. They have not found or hidden a cache since 2008 yet appear to be logging in to their account daily. This then allows them to go to my profile and check what caches I have found and read my logs for these caches. This then tells them where I have been and, of course, we often reveal information about ourselves in what we write in logs. There is little doubt they are doing this as I have laid a trap in a log to test whether my suspicion was correct and it has been confirmed.

Their behaviour is sad and pathetic but it is also an invasion of my privacy. I want to be able to continue to cache freely and write interesting log notes without having to worry about this person trawling my profile for information and using it for less than legitimate purposes.

I am unaware of any privacy settings on gc.com that would allow me to prevent them doing this. However, is anyone aware of a method by which this can be done?

Does anyone know if gc.com has a privacy officer (or similar) who I could contact for advice and assistance?

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation? Many thanks.

You could change your caching name, but they might figure that out.

You could open a totally different account. I don't know if they'd figure that out or not.

there's someone who records all their caches on GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) and none actually on this website for privacy. Then you've got to give up writing all those neat logs and also being able to flaunt your numbers, but that would be totally private.

The other option is to not worry about it.

Are they going to cause you harm? Then it's worth not logging your finds. when they get over it you can go back and log them all with a cut and paste explanation.

Are they not going to cause you harm, but only irritation? Then ignore them and you won't be irritated.

I don't even understand how someone can "stalk" someone else on gc.com.

By the time you've posted a log, you're already gone or (if you're logging over a phone or something) at least in the process of leaving, by the time someone found it and responded, you're long gone.

As far as log content, logs are public, why are you putting content that you consider to be private? If you're worried about log content being used against you, then just simply log the word "found".

If you're worried about someone figuring out that you're out of town, don't post logs until after you get back, this is the only issue I can even comprehend.

How do you think you're being stalked? Am I missing something else?

Options.

Change your username. (They may work out what it is...)

Don't log. (But if you like to post your logs...)

Log with a 'Note' -keep a list of your caches as 'Found' on GSAK. (It gives you a chance to write a log, but as such, is not searchable/visible on the site other that once you get to the cache page.)

Contact Groundspeak. (Not sure they can do too much though...)

:ph34r: Go around to their place, and beat them up. (JOKE!!!)

i agree with Potato Finder, what difference does it make if someone knows where you were/did at any point in the past?

i'm not sure what you mean by "and, of course, we often reveal information about ourselves"

what exactly are you revealing in your logs that can be harmful?

at the end of the day you should never reveal anything too personal anywhere on the internet anyway

Their behaviour is sad and pathetic but it is also an invasion of my privacy. I want to be able to continue to cache freely and write interesting log notes without having to worry about this person trawling my profile for information and using it for less than legitimate purposes.

I fail to see how your privacy is being invaded if you are the one posting personal information on a public website. You're offering the information up - no one is digging through your trash & peeping through your windows to find this stuff out.

Your privacy starts with you. The options given here are good suggestions. Don't give up information in logs that people can use to identify or track you.

If it's getting to the level of actual criminal activity (following you everywhere, harassing you, sitting outside your house), there are people in your town whose job is to address it. They're called law enforcement.

Edited by dakboy
If it's getting to the level of actual criminal activity (following you everywhere, harassing you, sitting outside your house), there are people in your town whose job is to address it. They're called law enforcement.

+1

I hope people are looking at my profile and checking out the caches Ive done. Thats why i log them. Bragging rights. Yeah baby I did a 4 today. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Otherwise whats the point?

IBTL

If you did a name change, they'd probably still figure it out. I imagine you'd have to go with a new account. I doubt there's a privacy officer, I'd go with contact@geocaching.com

Now my story. About 8 months before I discovered Geocaching, (and lasting about a year) I had not one, but two whacked out obsessed stalkers from Usenet. These clowns would have done ANYTHING to discover where I lived, and to follow my activity. Fortunately, it happened before Geocaching, so I took a different username on here than I had previously used all over the internet. By finding me here, they'd have known my general location from my hides, and would have been able to tell stuff like, "Gee, he was in Scranton, Pa. for two weeks", or "he was in Rochester, NY all weekend" (two things I used to do for the Army Reserve back then). They could have gotten my general location from my IP address, but they were too stupid to do that, and choose the "Google everything he ever did on the internet" method. They were more than k00ky enough that they would have created accounts, and posted harrassing messages on cache pages, especially if I had any hides.

So yes, I will be in this thread debunking any "it's the internet, deal with it pal" type posts. :P No one asks to be stalked. And no one thinks some nut job will look up posts you made to the internet years before they started stalking you, and try to use it against you.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

It's the Internet. If you don't want information to be public then don't put it in the Internet. Anywhere, Facebook, Geocache logs, Geocache forums, Google+, anywhere. Once it's in the Internet it's public.

I'd suggest "Public Parts" by Jeff Jarvis for an in depth look at how the Internet has / is changing our culture and our perception of privacy.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

It's the Internet. If you don't want information to be public then don't put it in the Internet. Anywhere, Facebook, Geocache logs, Geocache forums, Google+, anywhere. Once it's in the Internet it's public.

Gee. Did you really have to post that right after my post? :lol:

What about my case, which I assume you didn't read? Did I know in 2003 that some k00k was going to look up 1998 college basketball message board posts to gleam information about me? Should I have just never gone on the Internet like my 82 year old Mother?

What about my case, which I assume you didn't read? Did I know in 2003 that some k00k was going to look up 1998 college basketball message board posts to gleam information about me? Should I have just never gone on the Internet like my 82 year old Mother?

Sorry you had to learn it the hard way, but all your post did was to confirm what GeotaggedBloger (and others have) said.

Should I have just never gone on the Internet like my 82 year old Mother?

That reminds me of the other extreme -- people who post TMI. I once set up a web blog for my mom, and she soon was using that as a personal/private diary. With specific details about issues in the family, relatives, and friends. Unappetizing descriptions of health issues. Everything. All with proper names and dates of course.

When my parents got a new ISP, for some reason "this new account doesn't support a blog" :rolleyes:. So I wasn't able to set it up. Go figure. Oh, and Facebook and Twitter won't ever work on their PC either. She'll just have to settle for typing it in Word.

So the old ISP was sold out, it's gone. Yet, years later, my mom's online diary is available to this day.

Edited by kunarion
it's the internet, deal with it pal

That.

(Yeah, TWU, I know. I took your statement out of context. It's the Internet! Deal with it!) :lol::P

Seriously though, stalking can be a very serious thing. Hopefully the OP won't read into any of the posts on here and minimize the situation as a result. The only part of the OP I would question is the "invasion of privacy" aspect. When you knowingly and willingly post details of your life on the Internet, there is no invasion of privacy. The courts have long ago concurred that there is no expectation of privacy with things posted on public websites.

The advice about posting finds as notes is a good one. If I go to your profile, I can see all your finds, but I can't see any of your notes. If you went this route, you could wait X number of days then change them to finds? Maybe?

Sorry you had to learn it the hard way, but all your post did was to confirm what GeotaggedBloger (and others have) said.

I'm sorry then. :P I guess two billion peopleshould have all known better to go on the internet in the first place. :o

I guess the whole thread boils down to should there be privacy settings on Geocaching.com?

And by the way, did anyone mention "reporting" the stalking party to contact@geocaching.com?

P.S. Don't put any personal information in your logs. I guess the smartphone TFTC loggers are on to something after all. :laughing:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Log with a 'Note' -keep a list of your caches as 'Found' on GSAK. (It gives you a chance to write a log, but as such, is not searchable/visible on the site other that once you get to the cache page.)

(I haven't read the rest of the responses, so this may have already been said)

The note option might work, but if you don't have and don't want GSAK (GSAK is not easy to use), how do you get the found caches off your PQ list?

Also, I don't think you can add a Favorite to a cache unless you mark it as found.

Privacy suggestions have been submitted in the feedback forums, specifically.... let the user decide who can see the list detailed list of geocache finds. But that's probably never going to happen - how does the GS company profit from this type of feature?

+1

I hope people are looking at my profile and checking out the caches Ive done. Thats why i log them. Bragging rights. Yeah baby I did a 4 today. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Otherwise whats the point?

IBTL

Why do you (or I or anyone) need to know where the OP has been? Why do you need to see his detailed list of geocache finds? If you can't see that list, how will it affect how you geocache?

+1

IBTL

Why do you (or I or anyone) need to know where the OP has been? Why do you need to see his detailed list of geocache finds? If you can't see that list, how will it affect how you geocache?

It adds interest to the game. I love looking at other people's logs. They tell me a lot about the caches, and a lot about the cachers. I like to see where other cachers that I know have been going. The logs help me get to know other local cachers before I actually meet them in person. Those are some of the reasons... I'm sure there are more.

Apart from the reasons knowschad has already mentioned, it is also very important for me to help me decide how to interpret terrain ratings and if a cache is doable for me. I use to look at the finds of the hider and his logs for caches that I know.

I appreciate the interactive aspect of geocaching when e.g. compared to hiking guide books where I do not know the authors and how their difficulty assignments have to be interpreted.

Cezanne

Advice sought.

Just log a find with TFTC and then send the owner a note with the details that you want them to know about. You get the find credit and you get to tell the cache owner your interesting log note without revealing any details to the stalker.

John

It didn't HAVE to go right after you post, but it did. I suppose I could have waited, but then I would have missed out on the irony that luck threw my way.

And you would assume wrong. I did read your account. And you shouldn't run from the Internet either...nor should anyone including your mother. The Internet is a tool...like a kitchen knife. A kitchen knife can seriously harm you. It can even kill you. But it has great benefits and those benifites outweigh the risks of the tool. The Internet has great benefit and it also comes with risks. We shouldn't run from the Internet anymore than we should run from kitchen knives.

But you treat your kitchen knife with care too. You would never just toss it to someone. You wouldn't run around with it either. Those are both considerations you have because of good judgement. You weigh the risk and benifit and conclude that tossing the knife, while quicker, isn't a good idea because of the potential risk. The Internet is the same. Use good judgement and weigh the risk benefit of each thing you do on the Internet.

Posting a find, do you need to say you're from Springfield? Or is just saying the state enough...or maybe Southern part of the State or whatever. Do you need to put anything at all other than "found".

These are all questions we each need to answer for ourselves. We are in a transitional period where we as a society are figuring out the social norms as we go and we each apply our own unique lens through which we view privacy and openess.

Again, I would recommend "Public Parts" by Jeff Jarvis. I am in no way affiliated with him but his book shines a light on this very issue.

Edited to add link to Jeff Jarvis wiki page.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

+1

IBTL

It adds interest to the game. I love looking at other people's logs.

The suggestion was made in the feedback forum that the detailed list could be made public, private or shown only to "friends". Not the actual log in the cache's online logbook. It's much harder to stalk someone if you have to go through every cache looking for that person's online log.

Yes, I know you can google their trailname and their logs will show up, but GS could do something about that too.

On the AtlasQuest database you can't google someone's trailname and get access to their logs.

You must login to the site first. And if the AQ member does not wish to provide a convenient one-click-link to all of their finds he can choose to set his Finds to private. Here's what a person's profile page looks like with the Finds set to private:

6246324675_0fd85e5a26.jpg

An AQ member can also set it so that their name appears as undisclosed in the log, but the letterbox owner sees the trailname, everyone else sees 'undisclosed'.

Here's what the privacy settings look like:

6246350933_99cc363c70_z.jpg

Personally, my settings are all public. I haven't had a need to go private but I believe that that is something someone decides for themselves, I do not have a right to that information nor should anyone demand it of me.

Advice sought.

Just log a find with TFTC and then send the owner a note with the details that you want them to know about. You get the find credit and you get to tell the cache owner your interesting log note without revealing any details to the stalker.

John

That doesn't address the where-abouts issue. The stalker can, at the click of one link or via google, see where the OP has been and when. As a CO I would prefer that the OP log an accurate date because that's part of the cache's history. As a cacher I would like the OP to be able to fully participate in the game without having to fudge dates, or use the system as it wasn't intended in order to gain some privacy from annoying types who enjoy messing with people.

+1

IBTL

It adds interest to the game. I love looking at other people's logs.

The suggestion was made in the feedback forum that the detailed list could be made public, private or shown only to "friends". Not the actual log in the cache's online logbook. It's much harder to stalk someone if you have to go through every cache looking for that person's online log.

Yes, I know you can google their trailname and their logs will show up, but GS could do something about that too.

On the AtlasQuest database you can't google someone's trailname and get access to their logs.

You must login to the site first. And if the AQ member does not wish to provide a convenient one-click-link to all of their finds he can choose to set his Finds to private. Here's what a person's profile page looks like with the Finds set to private:

6246324675_0fd85e5a26.jpg

An AQ member can also set it so that their name appears as undisclosed in the log, but the letterbox owner sees the trailname, everyone else sees 'undisclosed'.

Here's what the privacy settings look like:

6246350933_99cc363c70_z.jpg

Personally, my settings are all public. I haven't had a need to go private but I believe that that is something someone decides for themselves, I do not have a right to that information nor should anyone demand it of me.

The logs are much more useful knowing that all logs are visible, IMO, but really... how big a problem is "stalking" from geocaching logs. Personally, I fail to see the problem at all. We don't know enough about the OPs situation to know what else it may entail, or even if it is real (sorry, OP, but that's true). In the years that I've been coming here, I can't say that I've seen one other instance of anything claiming to be stalking. I think your suggestion may be a solution in search of a problem.

It adds interest to the game. I love looking at other people's logs. They tell me a lot about the caches, and a lot about the cachers. I like to see where other cachers that I know have been going. The logs help me get to know other local cachers before I actually meet them in person. Those are some of the reasons... I'm sure there are more.

I am not sure what the answer should be, but is there a difference between looking at logs for particular caches or seeing where friends have gone and the type of behavior that the OP considers to be stalking?

Privacy is an illusion these days. I work at a job where various state records (car registration/license information) are kept confidential. But if somebody wanted to track me down it would take only a couple of minutes to learn where I live through online sources. I could find out the same thing by using information on this site as a starting point. There are things I could do to make it a little harder, so I am easier to identify than most. Yet, I have never been that concerned about whether someone would misuse it.

At the same time I have hidden my stats because I don't think anyone really needs to know all that is in there. I would probably hide my souvenirs and limit who can see the detailed list of caches that I have found if Groundspeak offered privacy options.

In the coming term the Supreme Court will decide if gps monitoring devices placed on cars violate a reasonable expectation of privacy. Perhaps all the ways are movement can be tracked will be a factor. In any event my expectation of privacy may be different than my expectation of how people will use that information so the OP raises some interesting points.

The logs are much more useful knowing that all logs are visible

The detailed list could be private, the logs would continue to be visible via the individual cache pages. I agree that online logs on cache pages are useful. I like the suggestion of allowing "friends" access to your detailed list via your profile.

But have no fear. I doubt GS would ever implement it. It's probably best to figure out work arounds like....do not log your finds, log your finds but use acronyms only, post fake dates, change your username frequently, post notes instead of finds.

Edited by Lone R

And by the way, did anyone mention "reporting" the stalking party to contact@geocaching.com?

what stalking? lol just because the other person has logged in every day and looks at other people's profiles he/she is a stalker?....i guess that implies that we all are stalkers

Privacy suggestions have been submitted in the feedback forums, specifically.... let the user decide who can see the list detailed list of geocache finds. But that's probably never going to happen - how does the GS company profit from this type of feature?

and with that you are in fact helping potential "bad guys" making it easy for them to hide their details

i have nothing to hide and i don't want my profile hidden, neither would i want anyone else's, there are a lot of useful things that can be drawn from looking at a profile

how does cyber stalking occur anyway? i don't see it being a physical danger anyway

what stalking? lol just because the other person has logged in every day and looks at other people's profiles he/she is a stalker?....i guess that implies that we all are stalkers

and with that you are in fact helping potential "bad guys" making it easy for them to hide their details

i have nothing to hide and i don't want my profile hidden, neither would i want anyone else's, there are a lot of useful things that can be drawn from looking at a profile

how does cyber stalking occur anyway? i don't see it being a physical danger anyway

I'm curious how many from the forums have checked the OP's profile, and perhaps even cache list, since this thread was started. :ph34r:

I'm curious how many from the forums have checked the OP's profile, and perhaps even cache list, since this thread was started. :ph34r:

Oh heavens, we would NEVER do anything like that, what do you think we are, a bunch of stalkers? :ph34r: But they have a nice bike. Oops, wasn't suppose to say that. :blink:

Edited by jholly

It profits by not losing the participation of people who might need such a feature. Conversely, it profits by opening participation up to others who might like to participate right now but are not because of similar privacy concerns.

It profits by not inadvertently contributing to a headline like "Geocacher Killed By Stalker; Victim's Location Published Online", which would certainly have an effect on future participation (and subscriptions).

It might profit by making some privacy settings available only to Premium Members, perhaps encouraging more subscriptions.

There are plenty of possibilities; one merely has to look at the issue with a little creativity.

I did! :lol:

Here's what I deduced:

You live WHERE? Doesn't everyone know what everyone else is doing anyway? (just kidding)

The OP has hidden some great caches. If I ever go there I will make it a point to look for these caches.

Some of these hides have disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Could this be the reason for this thread?

It profits by not losing the participation of people who might need such a feature. Conversely, it profits by opening participation up to others who might like to participate right now but are not because of similar privacy concerns.

OTOH, the controls might be so poorly implemented that it drives other people away. Or leads people to bad assumptions about their actual privacy.

And would the financial benefit outweigh the development & support costs?

It profits by not inadvertently contributing to a headline like "Geocacher Killed By Stalker; Victim's Location Published Online", which would certainly have an effect on future participation (and subscriptions).
If someone is really intent upon stalking you, this site is probably one of the less-informative sources. How about Foursquare checkins? Or the good ol' technique of following someone from home (address is public record/published in the phone book) to wherever they're going? Google Latitude? E-ZPass tags on your car?

As I wrote above, your online privacy starts with you. But if someone is really intent upon stalking you, they don't need the list of where you were from this website - they'll just follow you so they know where you are.

Stalking comes in all varieties. Theres the stalker who does it unannounced, and then there is the type who has to let you know they are doing it. Sometimes they will do it on purpose, other times they will only leave little clues to have you figure it out. Either situation is creepy.

Suppose you noticed someone sitting outside your house on a regular basis, and then outside your work, and also in the parking lot of places you frequented, you would naturally want to know what they were up to. If you werent breaking any laws, and they didn't match the description of any law enforcement personnel, most people would find it a little disturbing. If they announced why, it may seem better, but without that info your mind is only left to wander. Why? Suppose they appeared to hide their interest, but somehow you discovered in a roundabout way what was going on? There are plenty of obsessive people around with nothing to do. In most cases they are not breaking any laws, so there is really nothing that you can do. Sitting outside your work or house or places you visit is rather legal, as it is considered public.

There are also the nonstalker types that are just nosey. They may not have a job or anything to occupy their time and may just like to watch people or post in the forums all the time. :D If the OP wants an honest answer, this is not really the best place to do it. :ph34r:

OTOH, the controls might be so poorly implemented that it drives other people away. Or leads people to bad assumptions about their actual privacy.

And would the financial benefit outweigh the development & support costs?

I have no way to predict this. Of course, one could ask the same thing about the new GC "challenges", or mapping features, or any other feature on the website. I doubt any single feature makes money for GC; it's the whole set of features that are seen as valuable (or not) to an individual user.

I'm just pointing out that there are potential financial benefits to GC for doing something like this --- outside of the altruistic benefits of doing something that would help people. Whether the cost outweighs the benefits is a matter for wiser people than I to decide.

If someone is really intent upon stalking you, this site is probably one of the less-informative sources. How about Foursquare checkins? Or the good ol' technique of following someone from home (address is public record/published in the phone book) to wherever they're going? Google Latitude? E-ZPass tags on your car?

As others have pointed out above ... stalking takes on different forms. Besides, truly innovative stalking takes information from a variety of sources, not just a single site. GC can contribute to the problem, or not.

Look, if people here want to just dump on the OP and assert that he/she will have to choose between online geocaching and hiding from a stalker, that's their prerogative. Seems awfully insensitive to me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm just pointing out that there are potential financial benefits to GC for doing something like this --- outside of the altruistic benefits of doing something that would help people. Whether the cost outweighs the benefits is a matter for wiser people than I to decide.

i seriously doubt it, its been around the way it is for 11 years and everything works just fine

As others have pointed out above ... stalking takes on different forms. Besides, truly innovative stalking takes information from a variety of sources, not just a single site. GC can contribute to the problem, or not.

Look, if people here want to just dump on the OP and assert that he/she will have to choose between online geocaching and hiding from a stalker, that's their prerogative. Seems awfully insensitive to me. Your mileage may vary.

why is it that people never see the other side of a situation like this, and always assume the "accuser" is the victim?

the OP came here and made quite a serious accusation against someone without any supporting facts, we are 3 pages later and yet the OP has not made one single additional post

how do we know its not an overreaction or obsession? you get people that do that, overreact and falsely accuse someone and in more serious cases the accused will be "trashed" around by the media, public and what not only to get a "oops sorry, i was wrong" at the end...at which point their reputation is history

seems awfully insensitive to me to assume that the OP is the victim and not the other way around, more so in the absence of any facts, how can they even be sure of the identity of the so called stalker?

i seriously doubt it, its been around the way it is for 11 years and everything works just fine

why is it that people never see the other side of a situation like this, and always assume the "accuser" is the victim?

the OP came here and made quite a serious accusation against someone without any supporting facts, we are 3 pages later and yet the OP has not made one single additional post

how do we know its not an overreaction or obsession? you get people that do that, overreact and falsely accuse someone and in more serious cases the accused will be "trashed" around by the media, public and what not only to get a "oops sorry, i was wrong" at the end...at which point their reputation is history

seems awfully insensitive to me to assume that the OP is the victim and not the other way around, more so in the absence of any facts, how can they even be sure of the identity of the so called stalker?

Yeah, I also have a few problems with this "stalking" report. First off, just because someone is logging in daily does not mean they are reading anyone's logs in particular. And how is it that if they log in you know they are reading your logs? I haven't figured out how to get a trace on who is reading my logs. Or are they ogling your galley pictures? The only "fact" presented is that the OP laid some sort of "trap" that apparently tripped. We have no idea what this trap was/is or if there was any interaction between the two parties. Without a lot more information I will not put much credence into the story.

If the OP truly believes they are being stalked and has reasonable proof that they are being stalked then they should take it up with GS directly via the contact@geocaching.com avenue. Stalking is expressly prohibited by the terms of use. But I really have a hard time accepting that reading logs is stalking, if so we are all are guilty of stalking.

The note option might work, but if you don't have and don't want GSAK (GSAK is not easy to use), how do you get the found caches off your PQ list?

Also, I don't think you can add a Favorite to a cache unless you mark it as found.

Mark your found caches on your ignore list and then exclude them from your PQ. Until Groundspeak offers the ability to hide your finds this is the best method I've come up with.

It might profit by making some privacy settings available only to Premium Members, perhaps encouraging more subscriptions.

There are plenty of possibilities; one merely has to look at the issue with a little creativity.

:lol:

Son, you have one wild imagination! :P

Mark your found caches on your ignore list and then exclude them from your PQ. Until Groundspeak offers the ability to hide your finds this is the best method I've come up with.

Oh, I love that one! Still on your personal profile, not on your public profile but you count keeps going up. Drive them wild trying to figure out what caches you got.

If there were privacy controls, those who wish to use them could, and those who don't wish to use them could refrain. I may not use some of them myself, but neither would I hold it against (or mock) anyone who did. Sometimes I come across people with Facebook or Twitter or Letterbox accounts who have availed themselves of some of the privacy controls, and it doesn't seem like an unreasonable choice to me.

Oh, I love that one! Still on your personal profile, not on your public profile but you count keeps going up. Drive them wild trying to figure out what caches you got.

You got a better way of excluding your finds from PQ's? And I'm not aware that anyone can see my ignore list. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

You got a better way of excluding your finds from PQ's? And I'm not aware that anyone can see my ignore list. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

Yeah, I just check the box that says "I haven't found" and leave the "I have found" unchecked. The ones I found aren't in the PQ.