What is a "distinct cache"

Ry Dawg

A "distinct cache" is an individual cache. Your statistics indicate that you have logged multiple "Found Its" six times for caches that you previously have found.

There are various ways this can happen (locationless caches, moving caches, temporary caches at events, etc.). But the main way this happens is to accidentally log a duplicate "Found It" for caches.

A "distinct cache" is an individual cache. Your statistics indicate that you have logged multiple "Found Its" six times for caches that you previously have found.

There are various ways this can happen (locationless caches, moving caches, temporary caches at events, etc.). But the main way this happens is to accidentally log a duplicate "Found It" for caches.

Oh, thanks! I will have to fix this problem!

This is especially easy to do if you are using one of the smartphone apps and logging directly to the cache page.

Sometimes the app will say 'your log was not posted', when in fact it was. Since you have read the log wasn't posted, you hit the 'send' button again, and again, and again until you see the 'log posted' message. Unless you happen to review the cache you logged, you will never know you posted the same thing four times! The CO should mention something about it, but some just don't care.

I only have two, but is there another way to discover them on the mac?

I'm not sure that it matters which computer you use to do this:

If you create a My Finds pocket query, and load it into an new empty GSAK database, then you can add the "Found Count" column (View|Add/Remove Columns...) and easily see which caches have multiple find logs. :)

I only have two, but is there another way to discover them on the mac?

If you create a My Finds pocket query, and load it into an new empty GSAK database, then you can add the "Found Count" column (View|Add/Remove Columns...) and easily see which caches have multiple find logs. :)

It kinda does, because you need a windoze computer to run GSAK :P

It kinda does, because you need a windoze computer to run GSAK :P

No, you need a computer that can run Windows. That includes Macs, either through dual booting or Parallels Desktop.

Nope. Unless you're suggesting that buying a windoze license (or some other software) plus jumping through some hoops is a viable option just to run GSAK :blink:

and re WINE: it's a kludge, nothing more. GSAK is not designed to run on a mac or on linux or on anything else.

Edited by dfx
...you need a computer that can run Windows. That includes Macs, either through dual booting or Parallels Desktop.

Nope. Unless you're suggesting that buying a windoze license (or some other software) plus jumping through some hoops is a viable option just to run GSAK :blink:

Of course that is what I'm suggesting. How would you do it?

Edited by Ambient_Skater
...you need a computer that can run Windows. That includes Macs, either through dual booting or Parallels Desktop.

Oh, I'm sorry, let me retract my previous statement then. You're right, you can always run GSAK, even if you don't have a windoze computer, because if you don't have one, you can always just buy one! :huh::rolleyes::lol:

Regardless of anyone's personal feelings about WINE, from what I understand it should work well enough to do what WIIarefamily would need it to do, provided he has an Intel based Mac, and it does not require purchasing anything else. Far as I know, from the Mac side, the only other option would be to go looking for duplicate log entries manually using the website or try searching the web to see if there is any Mac software that can do that. (Which might require buying the software, if it exists.)

Edited by EdrickV

Regardless of anyone's personal feelings about WINE, from what I understand it should work well enough to do what WIIarefamily would need it to do, provided he has an Intel based Mac, and it does not require purchasing anything else. Far as I know, from the Mac side, the only other option would be to go looking for duplicate log entries manually using the website or try searching the web to see if there is any Mac software that can do that. (Which might require buying the software, if it exists.)

Or you upload your "my finds" PQ to mgcp, which will tell you the duplicates.

Oh, I'm sorry, let me retract my previous statement then. You're right, you can always run GSAK, even if you don't have a windoze computer, because if you don't have one, you can always just buy one! :huh::rolleyes::lol:

What point are you trying to make? I didn't come up with an outrageous solution for the OP to run GSAK. There are plenty of people who use Macs for their performance and functionality, but need to run Windows programs, and they run Windows on their Mac. Why would it be better to have a separate computer running Windows exclusively?

Or you upload your "my finds" PQ to mgcp, which will tell you the duplicates.

Many Thanks for this tip .. cured my discrepancy of six.

Switched from the Mac where I do the majority of my work to the PC which I hold onto for Geocaching related work.

Again Many Thanks

Wow. I have about 16 repeat logs, but then again If a cache I have already found has a cool coin or TB in it I will go out especially to log that TB, and then of course I have to have found it to have taken it or tell people that it isn't there!

'Huetes

Out

I may not be following you:

Rather than posting a found log ... just write a note. That would get the deed done.

Wow. I have about 16 repeat logs, but then again If a cache I have already found has a cool coin or TB in it I will go out especially to log that TB, and then of course I have to have found it to have taken it or tell people that it isn't there!

'Huetes

Out

To re-visit a cache that you have already found, you should post a "write note" log rather than another "found it" log.

You can edit your extra "found it" logs because of revisiting to "write note" logs.

Cache log icons:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

3.1. Trackable Etiquette

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=148

You can revisit a cache you've already found to pick up or drop a Trackable. It's okay to drop and pick up Trackables from caches you own. Log your visit as a note.
Edited by Pup Patrol

'Huetes

Out

I may not be following you:

Rather than posting a found log ... just write a note. That would get the deed done.

You're preaching to someone who's also logging their own caches as found here :ph34r:

'Huetes

Out

General practice:

When you find a cache for the first time, log it as found.

When you revisit a cache, leave a note, don't log another find.

When you revisit your own caches, leave an owner maintenance log.

Not the universal practice, but generally it's how most people do it.