I'm upset!

cookie12254

Just need to let off some steam. I recently placed a large bug in a ammo can cache. I got it up in NH...it was a big dragon with a bug tag and an info sheet....was a project for a 6th grade class. I took it and had searched close to my home in VA for a large enough cache to put him in. Even added a note to him to please take him only if you intended to move him. Well I see in the log cache someone was there and found the cache but did not log the bug. I am pissed that someone would take him with no intention of moving him on and how disappointed these kids will be. What a putz! Thanks for letting me vent!

*title cleaned up by moderator*

Edited by Eartha

You might want to watch your language.

I don't understand the problem.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=89ea8273-855e-476c-99a5-a79081f28c40

I don't see anything in the recent cache logs that indicate that someone has picked up the TB. It's still in the cache's inventory.

Are you saying that you have physically re-visited the cache and the TB is now gone?

Edited by Pup Patrol

"Even added a note to him to please take him only if you intended to move him."

The TB could still be in the cache.

Not everyone moves TB's, and some don't even bother to 'Discover' TB's in a cache.

Give it a chance.

There's also the possibility it has gone, but the cacher hasn't logged the cache and TB yet.

Start to worry when the "Didn't see the Dragon TB in the cache" log arrives. :(

Considering the size of it, people may have just left it be. (Though I personally would have logged a discover, if I'd remembered to get the number. I don't always remember to note the number and don't always take TBs when I find them. Especially large TBs.)

Edited by EdrickV

Just need to let off some steam. I recently placed a large bug in a ammo can cache. I got it up in NH...it was a big dragon with a bug tag and an info sheet....was a project for a 6th grade class. I took it and had searched close to my home in VA for a large enough cache to put him in. Even added a note to him to please take him only if you intended to move him. Well I see in the log cache someone was there and found the cache but did not log the bug. I am pissed that someone would take him with no intention of moving him on and how disappointed these kids will be. What a putz! Thanks for letting me vent!

How do you know that someone took it? Did you go back to the cache and see that it was gone?

Anyway, it could well be that someone did take it and just hasn't logged it YET. Calm down for Pete's sake.

And, yes, watch your language.

Many people won't move travel bugs, especially larger and more awkward to rehome ones.

Similarly many people won't bother logging them as 'discovered' even if they do come across them in caches - either through not knowing it is possible, or not being particularly bothered about 'collecting' travel bugs in this way.

All that a new log means is that someone has visited the cache, and it is more than likely that the travel bug is still exactly where you left it. I would only start to worry if a note appears stating it isn't in the cache as listed, and even then I wouldn't really worry until it has been missing a while - people forgetting (or not realise they are supposed to) log trackables is hardly a rare occurrence, so just hang on and it will quite likely appear again in the future in a new cache.

In summary, don't worry.

I must be missing sumtin' here.........

You are angry, I get that (tho I came in late and didn't get to see your full 'sweetness'). But... it ain't your TB! Just where is your anger coming from?

Sure, be unhappy, feel sad about it and feel sorry for the TB owner -- if it is indeed missing -- nothing I have seen or read indicates that such is the case. The logs indicate no such thing nor have you indicated that you personally have visited the cache to verify that it is missing. If you have visited the cache to verify that, then why didn't you log the fact that it is missing?

Perhaps you could redirect your anger towards more constructive issues....

....or try politics as a pastime.

3. Headed out to check on the cache and we'll see if the bug is still there.

Is that a ball-chain around its neck? If it comes apart, the TB dogtag will end up under the other contents of the box. I agree with the replies that it's all probably fine, but once that chain fails, the dinosaur is a goner. Maybe a key ring just larger than his neck could be slid over his head. Two of my TBs lost their hitchhiker when the chain broke immediately on placing into their cache. It seemed impossible to me, but it's true.

A little harsh here, guys.

I know the feeling...the feeling of being responsible for a TB, at least until one knows that it is safe in another cacher's hands. If I thought that someone had stolen a TB I had dropped off, I wouldn't be a happy camper either. It's all well and good to think of these things as just another game piece, but when one looks at the goals and travels of some of these things, they have a history and you wish a good future for them.

The truth is, once they are out there, they are pretty much on their own. And humans will be humans, both good and bad.

A little harsh here, guys.

I know the feeling...the feeling of being responsible for a TB, at least until one knows that it is safe in another cacher's hands. If I thought that someone had stolen a TB I had dropped off, I wouldn't be a happy camper either. It's all well and good to think of these things as just another game piece, but when one looks at the goals and travels of some of these things, they have a history and you wish a good future for them.

The truth is, once they are out there, they are pretty much on their own. And humans will be humans, both good and bad.

Thank you Fandango739. I just feel responsible for these kids in NH getting a chance to see their bug travel on the road. I took such care in trying to find it a good cache and am disappointed that someone took it with no intention of moving it along.

If it is your travel hug, you will get an email when someone logs it online.

If it is listed on another geocacher's account, you can click on "watch this Travel Bug" on it's web page, and receive notifications when it is logged online.

We set our expectations low, and have high hopes that we will get stories and photos back for our efforts and small (relatively) investment. I liken it to sending out a message in a bottle, but you receive the messages. Please check out the link in my signature to the Groundspeak Knowledge Books, and the pinned threads at the top of these forums for more information. Especially the What Should New Geocachers Know About Trackables thread.

I set up a couple of travel bugs, TB3FF24 and TB3FF3X. One has travelled around 700kms but unfortunately the second one was kept by the first person to find it. It's kind of frustrating as I set these up in the memory of a dear friend who passed away 18 months ago, on the one year anniversary of his death and this is clearly pointed out in both trackables pages. I had intended for them to do all the things my friend never got to do in his all too short life. I have emailed the person who picked up the travel bug but unfortunately they are not replying. I would expect this from a muggle but it is a bit frustrating from a fellow geocacher and especially from the first person to pick up my travel bug.

I set up a couple of travel bugs, TB3FF24 and TB3FF3X. One has travelled around 700kms but unfortunately the second one was kept by the first person to find it. It's kind of frustrating as I set these up in the memory of a dear friend who passed away 18 months ago, on the one year anniversary of his death and this is clearly pointed out in both trackables pages. I had intended for them to do all the things my friend never got to do in his all too short life. I have emailed the person who picked up the travel bug but unfortunately they are not replying. I would expect this from a muggle but it is a bit frustrating from a fellow geocacher and especially from the first person to pick up my travel bug.

It is disappointing... particularly when you get no acknowledgement of your email enquiry... but the cachers who picked up your second TB seem to have suddenly stopped caching a couple of days after they collected it. That makes me wonder whether something 'significant' suddenly happened in their lives which means they've had to stop caching for a while... you never know. It was June - isn't that the start of the NZ winter? Maybe they're just fair weather cachers - Keep your fingers crossed that they may start again soon - Many trackables stall for more than 4/5 months before becoming active again.

MrsB :)

And the update:

GC11A8V Cache by Stumpage:

Found it 10/04/2011

Took Fiery Fred travel bug. On our way to the airport so he is now traveling to California. TFTC.

GC152WP Ice Cold One:

Found it 10/31/2011

So what's the history of this site. Must be tapped into the aquafer. Left Fiery Fred travel bug. Please read the card and help the kids out if you grab this travel bug.