Premium only caches

Magic Phil

Well, old Magic Phil is a successful fisherman. He dangled the bait in several threads and a lot of folks took the hook and got snagged. I suspect he is chuckling all the way to the next "boring" non-premium cache he is going to add to his list of finds. More than likely he caches with some other name than the one he uses for this sock-puppet.

Actually no I don't!

Hello all,

All I want is an equal playing field for EVERYONE. Lets rid ourselves of premium only caches and if you want to pay for the other stuff...then do so!!

Magic Phil.

No, you missed the point. Some cachers are better than others. Please stop expressing your opinion until you are granted permission to do so.

Love it!!

:P

Ok ok...I admit I didn't trawl back through the old posts to check if this discussion has raised it's ugly head before and for that I apologise.

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply as it has given me a slightly different perspective in regard to premium caches and the folk that place them, even the snobbish ( :) ) sounding ones!!!

I now understand why some folk choose to go premium only but that still doesn't quell my frustration when I am literally surrounded by hundreds of them which I can't filter out of my searches!!!!!

Interestingly, the split in opinions here tells me this is a debate that will roll on and on for ages yet despite the childish attitudes expressed in some posts...and I include myself in that comment after re-reading my original post and picking my toys up off of the floor whence they had been thrown by me as I wrote it..!!!

Once again, thank you ALL for the input, I consider myself heard and enlightened!!

oh.... and considering getting cable so I can give it up and save!! :P

Magic Phil

It certainly does appear that the vast majority of responses have been premium members which surprises no one I'm sure. As a non-premium member I simply wanted to say that the premium only caches are a great perk and an idea I fully support. I'm very grateful to be able to enjoy the website and the infrastrucure and the maps and the community that supports this hobby/game/addiction/challenge all free-of-charge.

I haven't been able to justify the expense just yet but it's silly of me to think the premium members don't subsidize my enjoyment. Calling them out as elitist snobs confuses me so I'll simply take this opportunity to thank them.

You are welcome. This is a great way to look at it. geocaching.com costs $$ to run. Where does that $$ come from? Advertising and premium memberships. So premium members are subsidizing everybody else's fun. We're such amazing, giving, people aren't we?

I think you're still allowed to log PMO caches, as long as you can find them.

This is correct. And for the record, I own several PMO caches and I don't mind at all if non-PM's log them. I'll even give you the coordinates. I made some of my caches PMO's when I discovered audit logs. (Another can of worms.) I never said anything to anyone about their visits to the website. It was just another bunch of stats to look at, kind of like fooling around rearranging stuff in GSAK. I got bored with it after awhile and my recent caches have not been PMO.

Ok ok...I admit I didn't trawl back through the old posts to check if this discussion has raised it's ugly head before and for that I apologise.

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply as it has given me a slightly different perspective in regard to premium caches and the folk that place them, even the snobbish ( :) ) sounding ones!!!

I now understand why some folk choose to go premium only but that still doesn't quell my frustration when I am literally surrounded by hundreds of them which I can't filter out of my searches!!!!!

Interestingly, the split in opinions here tells me this is a debate that will roll on and on for ages yet despite the childish attitudes expressed in some posts...and I include myself in that comment after re-reading my original post and picking my toys up off of the floor whence they had been thrown by me as I wrote it..!!!

Once again, thank you ALL for the input, I consider myself heard and enlightened!!

Magic Phil

So glad you've got a good sense of humour. This forum can be a tough crowd.

I took a look at the maps near your finds...

WOW...I've never seen so many PMO caches!!!! :blink:

That's insane!

If you go to a map based search they filter themselves out once you get to a low enough level, and you can see them very clearly at a higher level. I find this much more useful as a way of searching anyway (particularly if you install the wonderful OS map script thungy).

I'm fortunate in having very few premium caches where I'm at, but have seen a whole pile in other areas - not quite as many as where you are though. A particular shame that at least some of them by your way seem to be tagged as suitable for beginners - that would seem to be a bit counterproductive imo (apologies if that particular point's been done to death elsewhere at another time).

Magic Phil

So glad you've got a good sense of humour. This forum can be a tough crowd.

I took a look at the maps near your finds...

WOW...I've never seen so many PMO caches!!!! :blink:

That's insane!

He hardly has any PMO caches near him. Compare that area to Portland, OR or Seattle, WA. Phil would be having a conniption fit in those areas.

When I looked at the maps of the areas near his finds, I see huge swaths of PMO caches. To me, that is a lot.

Maybe I'm lucky. I don't have that kind of PMO saturation near the areas where I cache, or even near where I live.

If I was a Basic Member again, and had to look at that kind of PMO saturation, I would be right ticked off too.

I can totally understand your frustrations, Magic Phil.

...Ok ok...I admit I didn't trawl back through the old posts to check if this discussion has raised it's ugly head

I'm glad you took the comments from posters in good humour.

I looked at your finds and at the surrounding caches - yes, there is an unusually large number of PM only caches around you - and this is one reason why...

Over the last 18 months the "West Midlands" region of UK (and some other UK areas) suffered from the attention of a group of people who were deliberately destroying caches. This caused many owners to restrict their caches to PM only. See post: here. I haven't heard anything of that group's activity recently so I don't know whether they are still active but I suspect many of the COs will leave their caches as PM only.

MrsB :)

...Ok ok...I admit I didn't trawl back through the old posts to check if this discussion has raised it's ugly head

I looked at your finds and at the surrounding caches - yes, there is an unusually large number of PM only caches around you - and this is one reason why...

Over the last 18 months the "West Midlands" region of UK (and some other UK areas) suffered from the attention of a group of people who were deliberately destroying caches. This caused many owners to restrict their caches to PM only. See post: here. I haven't heard anything of that group's activity recently so I don't know whether they are still active but I suspect many of the COs will leave their caches as PM only.

Thanks so much, Mrs B. That explains things much more clearly than "to protect them from being stolen".

Thanks so much, Mrs B. That explains things much more clearly than "to protect them from being stolen".

That is very interesting, and people dropping the MOC designation on all their caches with a cache maggot operating in the area has happened many times before. It didn't work in Utica/Rome NY, where the guy actually bought a premium membership, but that's besides the point.

I myself sympathize with the OP, and there's a thread around here only about a month old where 75% of the caches around Smyrna, TN. are MOC, and that's pretty much just because they can, under the pretenses of the old "rewarding people for supporting the website" line. That there I would totally disagree with, and it seems like a total slap in the puss to potential new Geocaching recruits.

Magic Phil,

I used Spooky #1 as center for a PMOC PQ and found that there is 1000 within 51.4m (82.72km) radius.

That says to me that you need to get out of West Midlands.

I was going to suggest ya move to Michigan. May was the last time I checked and it was 1000 at 147m (233.35km)

I almost started feeling bad for ya but then I checked to see the radius for available to all users.

Once I saw that it was 1000 caches at 13.6m (21.88km) I lost sympathy.

Then I decided to check walking distance.

You have 374 caches within 5 miles of Spooky #1 and 245 are available to all users. OK 243 assuming Spooky #2 is within 5 miles of #1.

I have a wopping 52. Care to guess how many of those I haven't found?

Magic Phil,

I used Spooky #1 as center for a PMOC PQ and found that there is 1000 within 51.4m (82.72km) radius.

I was going to suggest ya move to Michigan. May was the last time I checked and it was 1000 at 147m (233.35km)

I almost started feeling bad for ya but then I checked to see the radius for available to all users.

You have 374 caches within 5 miles of Spooky #1 and 245 are available to all users. OK 243 assuming Spooky #2 is within 5 miles of #1.

I think part of the problem is that in the list view there's no indication that caches are Premium Only - you actually have to click on the cache each time.

That's unfortunate imo.

e2a: no, I lied, there is a way to tell, I just hadn't noticed it, mainly because I've got so few close to me. Not sure if that icon shows up on the iPhone app mind.

Edited by Blue Square Thing

Magic Phil,

I think part of the problem is that in the list view there's no indication that caches are Premium Only - you actually have to click on the cache each time.

That's unfortunate imo.

e2a: no, I lied, there is a way to tell, I just hadn't noticed it, mainly because I've got so few close to me. Not sure if that icon shows up on the iPhone app mind.

There should be the icon of a black silhouette beside all the premium caches. small_profile.gif

Edited by GeoBain

There should be the icon of a black silhouette beside all the premium caches. small_profile.gif

Yes - I just hadn't noticed it until my edit.

They don't seem to show up at all on the iPhone app, which is much more useful - no having to trawl through lists of them.

Edited by Blue Square Thing

Hello all,

I recently attempted to download the cache details of what looks like a great cach only to find it was premium members only.

When I emailed the owner I got the reply "...because I needed permission to place it" and "...it stops thieves".

Ok...the stealing part I can maybe understand if the container was special or contained something shinier than normal, but the permission part????? Why should that make a difference? The cache concerned is on a public footpath, for heavens sake!

Premium members have absolutely no problems seeking out basic member caches and logging them but REALLY don't like us non-premium members having access to thiers. Not everyone can afford the money to pay for membership and the arguement "...it only costs £0.whatever a day" is frankly insulting. If a two-tier eliteist system is going to exist then why does the site promote a community atmosphere when so many are excluded from some of the caches?

Please understand that not ALL premium members are so snobby, most are enlightened enough to know we are all playing the same game!

I don't need premium membership as pocket queries etc are pretty much useless to me and I can d/l and find caches quite easily thank you and the other benefits, again, are not for me.

All I want is an equal playing field for EVERYONE. Lets rid ourselves of premium only caches and if you want to pay for the other stuff...then do so!!

I know the flamers will have a field day with this (all premium members probably!!) but I AM entitled to voice my opinion...even if it doesn't coincide with yours!!

Magic Phil.

Every time some one comes in and attacks like this, it just makes me wish they were all premium hides. I love that you attack all the premium members. The reason this site where you have chosen to post is supported by premium members. All you want is an equal playing field. All I want is everyone to pay equal. There now we both want something we are not going to get. Quit attacking the premium members. Next time you go find a cache check and see if the hider was a regular member or premium member. Than check the next one and the next one. See what you find out. Also check the cache and the shape it is in. I would bet you would find the majority of the caches you find are premium member hides. So you are going to attack all of them yet go get there hides. How about this maybe since you like attack Premium members why not go ahead and ignore all premium members. Be equal about it and get rid of all of them. Than go find whats left.

After all that is said this was just for the owner of this forum. If you are a regular cacher which many of my friends are, I want you to enjoy the game. HAve fun finding any cache you want. I have no problem with any cacher unless they come in attacking like this.

As I just posted elsewhere I think a three tier system would be better ( a poster was complaining about abuse of the free trial Premium Membership )

Make the Platinum level that is joked about a reality. If you maintain Premium membership for min. 5 years you auto. become Platinum......then allow Platinum only caches. Would they be better caches as a whole.....you bet.

As I just posted elsewhere I think a three tier system would be better ( a poster was complaining about abuse of the free trial Premium Membership )

Make the Platinum level that is joked about a reality. If you maintain Premium membership for min. 5 years you auto. become Platinum......then allow Platinum only caches. Would they be better caches as a whole.....you bet.

Interesting idea. :)

How about suggesting it over in the Feedback Forum...

I agree 100% lets make everyone pay to be a member, and use the services Groundspeak.

As opposed to attracting new people to give the game a try and see what happens?

Who knows, they might like it and become premium members, or just help attract advertisers and sponsors to the site and maybe spend money in the store and set some good caches and have some good, inclusive ideas?

I agree 100% lets make everyone pay to be a member, and use the services Groundspeak.

As opposed to attracting new people to give the game a try and see what happens?

Who knows, they might like it and become premium members, or just help attract advertisers and sponsors to the site and maybe spend money in the store and set some good caches and have some good, inclusive ideas?

Oh, Scubasonic has ranted about that several times, that it should be a 100% pay to play website. It's been pointed out to him that it's probably not even close to their main revenue source, but I see he's still not backing down. So SS, I notice you joined exactly one week before me, on August 12th, 2003. So obviously you plonked down $30 To Groundspeak on exactly that day, 12 August 2003, before you found and logged your first cache, right? :D

Oh, Scubasonic has ranted about that several times, that it should be a 100% pay to play website. It's been pointed out to him that it's probably not even close to their main revenue source, but I see he's still not backing down.<snippage>

Thanks for the context :-)

Magic Phil.

Scubasonic

In fact, let's take it a step further. The bottom 50% income earners in the U.S. should pay taxes too since today they do not. Yep, let's level the playing field.

Oh, Scubasonic has ranted about that several times, that it should be a 100% pay to play website. It's been pointed out to him that it's probably not even close to their main revenue source, but I see he's still not backing down. So SS, I notice you joined exactly one week before me, on August 12th, 2003. So obviously you plonked down $30 To Groundspeak on exactly that day, 12 August 2003, before you found and logged your first cache, right? :D

Well Yukiee,

Actually I signed up 2003 but didn't find or place my first cache till July 16, 2008 at that time I became a PM.

SS

Well Yukiee,

Actually I signed up 2003 but didn't find or place my first cache till July 16, 2008 at that time I became a PM.

SS

That is very interesting! Good thing you remembered the password. OK then, did you purchase the premium membership before you left the house to look for that first cache? Because that's what you seem to advocate, that people have to pay to use this website before they even try Geocaching.

Well Yukiee,

SS

That is very interesting! Good thing you remembered the password. OK then, did you purchase the premium membership before you left the house to look for that first cache? Because that's what you seem to advocate, that people have to pay to use this website before they even try Geocaching.

You know I don't really remember if I paid, or not before I found my 1st cache in July of 08, but if I didn't it was very shortly after that that I did pay up,..... but I'm not really advocating that, those are your words. When I really think about it Geocaching should work like GSAK where you get full access to the site for 30 days just as if you were a PM member, but then it turns into nagware where if you don't buy a membership after 30 days, each time you log on it takes longer and longer to access the site till you either stop going to the site because it's frustrating, or you pony up the money. This gives the user plenty of time to decide if they like it or not, and if they don't well they are not out any money. If they do then pay up and get full access.

That's what I advocate

SS

When I really think about it Geocaching should work like GSAK where you get full access to the site for 30 days just as if you were a PM member, but then it turns into nagware where if you don't buy a membership after 30 days, each time you log on it takes longer and longer to access the site till you either stop going to the site because it's frustrating, or you pony up the money.

I get that benefit as a PM now.

Well Yukiee,

SS

You know I don't really remember if I paid, or not before I found my 1st cache in July of 08, but if I didn't it was very shortly after that that I did pay up,..... but I'm not really advocating that, those are your words. When I really think about it Geocaching should work like GSAK where you get full access to the site for 30 days just as if you were a PM member, but then it turns into nagware where if you don't buy a membership after 30 days, each time you log on it takes longer and longer to access the site till you either stop going to the site because it's frustrating, or you pony up the money. This gives the user plenty of time to decide if they like it or not, and if they don't well they are not out any money. If they do then pay up and get full access.

That's what I advocate

SS

Jeremy advocates a different approach. He has stated that geocaching will always be free. It is his sand box so he gets to set the rules. I like that approach so I don't waste anytime worrying about if folks should be premium members. They can decide and do what feels right to them. I only advocate that if they go geocaching they should have fun. If they want PQ's or find PMO caches then they should consider becoming premium members and don't whine about the caches they can't find because they are PMO.

Well Yukiee,

SS

That's what I advocate

SS

Good explanation, thanks. It's never going to happen though. :P But, a big but, if it ever did, it could work that way.