Quirky Things You Do To Make Caching More Fun

tomowens

What are some of good or bad habits or just plain silly little things that you like to do when caching?

One quirk that I have is that I get a little disappointed if I actually see the map of the cache location before heading out. I find it a bit more interesting to try and find a route by car to get to a close enough parking place by just following the compass and watching the distance / bearing.

This is even more fun when I'm in an area where I don't know the roads and wind up making lots of wrong turns or taking a few dead-end routes before I can get close enough.

Does leaving a trackable signature token for every cache I find count as quirky or silly?

Quirky maybe but definitely not silly! I look forward to finding signature items but unfortunately it doesn't seem very common in the caches I've found so far. I haven't developed any quirky caching habits yet but this has got me thinking....

....watch this space!

What are some of good or bad habits or just plain silly little things that you like to do when caching?

One quirk that I have is that I get a little disappointed if I actually see the map of the cache location before heading out. I find it a bit more interesting to try and find a route by car to get to a close enough parking place by just following the compass and watching the distance / bearing.

This is even more fun when I'm in an area where I don't know the roads and wind up making lots of wrong turns or taking a few dead-end routes before I can get close enough.

I think my quirkiness comes from completely reading and looking at several different maps and having three devices to use if need be. I have never been one to venture out without reassurances that I wouldn't get too lost (as has happened before I had a GPS.) The good news is that I sure am learning my way around!

I just noticed today that I have started to regularly carry a cotton bag with me on walks and I pick up interesting shaped pieces of bark and wood that might make good stickoflage for a cache hide one day. For years I have complained when my husband and kids bring home the walking sticks and poles they find on walks, and now here I am. The current cotton bag is sitting by me feet and it is strangely comforting that I know where it is. Not normal behaviour even for me, I'd usually want it in the garage, just in case something hatched out of it! :blink:

There are a lot of parks here that are overrun with buckthorn, an invasive species of tree. I'll normally cut a piece of this and strip off the bark while hiking. This is used to poke in holes, push other buckthorn out of the way, slash the thistles and generally amuse. I figure any buckthorn cut down is a small bonus, and I've been stabbed and scratched by enough of them, it's a bit of revenge.

I am not sure if this makes it more fun, but every time I see an empty container I rate it on how suitable it would be for a geocache. And for some reason it is exceptionaly hard to throw any container away that could possibly, maybe someday be used for a cache.

I am not sure if this makes it more fun, but every time I see an empty container I rate it on how suitable it would be for a geocache. And for some reason it is exceptionaly hard to throw any container away that could possibly, maybe someday be used for a cache.

BTW,

does your dog wear classes?

Good catch. :unsure:

That sort of thing actually makes me :mad:

What do I do for fun?

1) Look for traditional caches at night with only my cell phone flashflight (and of course, the batteries due to die any time).

2) Look for night caches during the day.

The above 2 I find loads of fun. :)

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I like to write eccentric logs.

For example, when our group of four found a cache called A Side of Beacon,

The Deacon was freakin'; the beacon was creakin'.

Making a livin', just barely eakin'.

Use up the syrup, the bottle's a leakin'.

Four can find 'em faster than three-c'n.

I mostly do non-fiction, but have been known to exaggerate. Usually you can tell when I'm winging it.