YWFTC

I am one who likes to leave more then TFTC and have never and never plan to leave a blank log. :yikes:

So how about when some one leaves a blank log for one of your caches send them a YWFTC email, Your Welcome For The Cache? :blink:

Better still, send them a blank email. That oughta get them thinking!! :laughing:

I am one who likes to leave more then TFTC and have never and never plan to leave a blank log. :yikes:

So how about when some one leaves a blank log for one of your caches send them a YWFTC email, Your Welcome For The Cache? :blink:

Better still, send them a blank email. That oughta get them thinking!! :laughing:

That would be like not leaving a tip, they just think your cheap. I leave 2 cents, what there service is worth. I still like the YWFTC.

Edited by captnemo

Shouldn't that be YWFTL (You're Welcome For The Log), or better yet, TFTL (Thanks For The Log). And yes, I have sent a PM to finders of my caches when they posted a log that seemed to be especially appreciative.

I have been sending a note something like this:

"I saw you found my 'xxxxxxxx' cache near yyyy. It appears that you inadvertently logged it with a completely blank 'find' log. While that is certainly allowed by the system, most cache owners appreciate a few words about your experience (positive or negative) in any type of online log. I hope you enjoyed finding my cache and will take a moment to go back and edit/replace your your original log. Have fun and be safe while caching!!"

So far - only 1 person has failed to go back edit/add to the log.

I started caching fairly recently, and at the time, didn't know that "TFTC" was considered poor logging. I've learned, and do better logs now. However, the concept that only new cachers do this was debunked in another thread, where examples of TFTC and other very brief logs were shown going back many years. Smart phones certainly contribute to it, as does simple education. For a new cacher, there's nothing obvious out there to show what good logging is, unfortunately.

I started caching fairly recently, and at the time, didn't know that "TFTC" was considered poor logging. I've learned, and do better logs now. However, the concept that only new cachers do this was debunked in another thread, where examples of TFTC and other very brief logs were shown going back many years. Smart phones certainly contribute to it, as does simple education. For a new cacher, there's nothing obvious out there to show what good logging is, unfortunately.

You are right... TFTC-only logs have been around probably since the beginning. Blank logs have only been around as long as smart phones, because the website does not allow it.

As for what I bolded above... reading other logs give a pretty good indication... as long as they aren't blank or "TFTC"-only, that is. :D

You are right... TFTC-only logs have been around probably since the beginning. Blank logs have only been around as long as smart phones, because the website does not allow it.

As for what I bolded above... reading other logs give a pretty good indication... as long as they aren't blank or "TFTC"-only, that is. :D

I started in 2010. The logs that I saw while learning the ropes had mostly "TFTC" and "SLLNTN" and all sorts of other abbreviations. I *assumed* back then as a newbie that geocachers preferred brevity over substance so my first few dozen finds were "TFTC", etc. After I started reading more logs and finding + reading this forum, I learned that I had been mistaken. I now leave logs written per find (no copy/paste), etc. Short story, new people don't have great examples until they feel more comfortable getting past the very basics of geocaching and geocaching.com. Cut them some slack, hopefully they'll come around! :)

BTW - it also helps once you've hidden a few caches and started to get annoyed by vacant email updates from finders. :)

I started in 2010. The logs that I saw while learning the ropes had mostly "TFTC" and "SLLNTN" and all sorts of other abbreviations. I *assumed* back then as a newbie that geocachers preferred brevity over substance so my first few dozen finds were "TFTC", etc. After I started reading more logs and finding + reading this forum, I learned that I had been mistaken. I now leave logs written per find (no copy/paste), etc. Short story, new people don't have great examples until they feel more comfortable getting past the very basics of geocaching and geocaching.com. Cut them some slack, hopefully they'll come around! :)

BTW - it also helps once you've hidden a few caches and started to get annoyed by vacant email updates from finders. :)

I hope that anyone reading these does not for a second think that most cache owners are bothered by acronyms like that in a log. The problem (to some of us) is when that is all there is to the log. Just wanted to make that clear.

Only time I ever left a "tftc" log was for, well, tftc. Otherwise I try to say something, even on days where we hit a bunch of caches. That ain't how everyone plays, which is a shame, but c'est la vie.

For that matter, it was a surprise to us to find caches here in the US and see only team names and dates in the log in most caches -- in Germany it's customary to leave a decent note in the field (unless it's a micro or nano).

We've only been into this geocaching thing for a few years now but way back then somehow I got the idea or desire to write a little something about every cache. Don't have that many finds but don't ever see a day when I don't write a little something or do a cut and paste or a total abbreviated log. If I ever don't have time for that it is time to quit. No hard and fast rules and everyone is entitled to do it their way but there have been some good suggestions on this forum over time about logging. For example even if the cache is pretty bland you could always say something about the weather or something. Example: found your cache on this nice sunny day etc. We don't have any spectacular caches and don't expect much but a little something is always nice. It bothers me more when I see one of the more special caches in the area get a TFTC........it's like "come on man write a little something". On another note it is nice to see someone with a large number of finds and hides that still writes a little something about all of their finds. Anyone we have introduced to geocaching we have encouraged to do a little writing. Just my two cents.

GT Pipeline Putters

Edited by Pipeline Putters

Go on then, what's SLLNTN?

Signed Log, Left Nothing, Took Nothing.

signed log, left nothing, took nothing

Edit

Was a bit slow, by the time I wrote this someone had beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Thank you

Edited by enola05

That is exactly my case! I saw the short abbreviations on most logs I've looked at and thought that was the norm with "wordy" logs being uncommon... I'm glad I'm reading the forum and hearing what caches owners appreciate!!

EDIT: For LPC's, what more can you put other than a TFTC?

Edited by DurniesTribe

In years to come, when you look back at the list of finds, how are you going to remember anything about the cache, or your day of caching, if all the log says is:

TFTC

or

My guess is those that are concerned about that will add a bit more to their logs. But not everyone is concerned about that or needs a log to remember.

In years to come, when you look back at the list of finds, how are you going to remember anything about the cache, or your day of caching, if all the log says is:

TFTC

or

My guess is those that are concerned about that will add a bit more to their logs. But not everyone is concerned about that or needs a log to remember.

They may not realize they will be concerned about it in the future. When I found cache #1, I had no idea I would ever find cache #2.

TFTC

or

They may not realize they will be concerned about it in the future. When I found cache #1, I had no idea I would ever find cache #2.

What were the contents of that first log? I bet you wrote more than ftf so you were covered anyway.

Some people care about this stuff and some people care about going out and enjoying the afternoon finding caches.

TFTC

or

What were the contents of that first log? I bet you wrote more than ftf so you were covered anyway.

Some people care about this stuff and some people care about going out and enjoying the afternoon finding caches.

You know how to find that.

Some people care about both of those things. Why do you insist on supporting mediocrity? You really do not sound like a mediocre sort of person.

This is a part of my log for January 26th, 2010, addressing the last LPC I found:

"Sadly, my day ended with a real stinker, "Dedicated to Clan Riffster". If ever I saw a cache worthy of archival, this one is it. Uninspired location. Boring hide technique. Crappy container. Unsurprisingly soggy log. Champ, how could you dedicate a turd like this to a fellow 'Yota driver? (sigh...)"

A friend hid it to poke fun at me. :lol:

TFTC

or

Some people care about both of those things. Why do you insist on supporting mediocrity? You really do not sound like a mediocre sort of person.

Some people don't care about keeping a journal of their caching career. What is mediocre about that?

I don't keep a journal of my life and I can guarantee you that my life is not mediocre. I'm also confident that I will remember the parts of it that I care about without need to write it all down.

TFTC

or

What's interesting is that right after I started this post, I went to my profile and started looking at old logs. :blink: I done this before and it's one of the best ways to spend time when for whatever reason I can't be out caching. :D

TFTC

or

Some people don't care about keeping a journal of their caching career. What is mediocre about that?

I don't keep a journal of my life and I can guarantee you that my life is not mediocre. I'm also confident that I will remember the parts of it that I care about without need to write it all down.

Some people don't care about brushing their teeth or using deodorant. If they live in a log cabin in the mountains, all by themselves, I don't care. But if they come into range of my nose, I sure do. Other people's bad habits DO affect the rest of us. That is where concepts like manners and etiquette came from.

TFTC

or

Some people don't care about brushing their teeth or using deodorant. If they live in a log cabin in the mountains, all by themselves, I don't care. But if they come into range of my nose, I sure do. Other people's bad habits DO affect the rest of us. That is where concepts like manners and etiquette came from.

While I agree that if someone farts in a room full of people wearing expensive cologne/perfume that it will likely render those pleasant smells null and void, I fail to see how a blank or TFTC log comes close.

Now if we were talking about foul mouthed logs on the page I would be in complete agreement with you. Those can ruin the reading of the other logs. But I don't see how a few short or blank logs can render all the other nice logs void.

Edited by mresoteric

This is a part of my log for January 26th, 2010, addressing the last LPC I found:

"Sadly, my day ended with a real stinker, "Dedicated to Clan Riffster". If ever I saw a cache worthy of archival, this one is it. Uninspired location. Boring hide technique. Crappy container. Unsurprisingly soggy log. Champ, how could you dedicate a turd like this to a fellow 'Yota driver? (sigh...)"

A friend hid it to poke fun at me. :lol:

:lol: That's really amusing!... But would you post the same for someone you didn't know? I'm guessing that would cause a few ruffled feathers with some COs :lol:

For LPC's, what more can you put other than a TFTC?

Then why search for them? Is it really worth the ho hum experience and the gas money to get that smiley? If it is, surely it is then worth writing something about how much you enjoy LPCs.

Edited by Lone R

For LPC's, what more can you put other than a TFTC?

Then why search for them? Is it really worth the ho hum experience and the gas money to get that smiley? If it is. surely it is then worth writing something about how much you enjoy LPCs.

Or maybe write about how much you are enjoying the smiley?

Signed Log, Left Nothing, Took Nothing.

signed log, left nothing, took nothing

Edit

Was a bit slow, by the time I wrote this someone had beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Thank you

YWFTE

Aww now you're doing it on purpose :D

Here's a data point for those of you who are interested in "log degradation."

The "what was your first log" thread caused me to go back and look. Here's a cache that was placed in 2001 (I was the sixth person to find it). http://coord.info/GC2BAE The early logs all have interesting comments. Some of the logs are extremely verbose, and quite interesting.

Of the last 15 logs, one is totally blank. One is "sent from my mobile device." One is only "TFTC" and another says simply "TFTC fun find." Two are obvious cut-n-paste "Found with...." So about half the logs from the past six months are completely devoid of content.

100% of the logs dated 2009 or earlier have at least something to say about the cache.

Edited by GeoGeeBee

The "what was your first log" thread caused me to go back and look. Here's a cache that was placed in 2001 (I was the sixth person to find it). http://coord.info/GC2BAE The early logs all have interesting comments. Some of the logs are extremely verbose, and quite interesting.

Of the last 15 logs, one is totally blank. One is "sent from my mobile device." One is only "TFTC" and another says simply "TFTC fun find." Two are obvious cut-n-paste "Found with...." So about half the logs from the past six months are completely devoid of content.

100% of the logs dated 2009 or earlier have at least something to say about the cache.

Cool spot, regular sized cache, with 5 favorites, and 28 pictures in the gallery. Sounds like the "hide a good cache, you'll get good logs" theory doesn't work here.

Cool spot, regular sized cache, with 5 favorites, and 28 pictures in the gallery. Sounds like the "hide a good cache, you'll get good logs" theory doesn't work here.

Depends on how you define good logs.

Of the last 15 logs, I only see one completely devoid of content. I see a couple of other terse logs. The ones described as obvious cut-n-paste are not so obvious. They show that the loggers found the cache with 2 of their friends.

And I can't see how the blank and terse logs render these logs null and void:

Quite a climb, but we managed, interesting old bridge, nice place for some photo ops..TFTH

Fun find! Wouldn't suggest going in flats the day after a rainfall though ha

Good cache kinda obvious but cool bridge thanks for the find !!!
I came down today with Whippet78 and Scooter08 for The Siege of Vicksburg! We knocked out Blue Canary's new series in record time, then moved on into the city. We grabbed this one as we turned for home. Thanks for the cache!
Couldn't find it. The kudzu was dead so maybe someone found it and took it. Also there was FRESH digging in the side of that hill so maybe someone hid it in the ground. I didn't have a shovel to try and see.
Found now that kudzu is dying off. Thanks for the find!
I really enjoyed this spot. The bridge was awesome and the grafitti was even interesting. I even saw my 2 bestest caching buddies names sprayed on the bridge side by side. After I found the cache , I went to the top and down the other side. A fisherman even waited to watch me come down as I think he was expecting a top-notch dirt skiing exhibition. I'm glad I disappointed him. Thanks for the fun.
been here a lot never thought there would have been a chace. i love this stuff

March 15, 2002 by pater47 (1851 found)

personal TB drop

March 1, 2003 by Blue Canary (4592 found)

TB stop #8

January 15, 2005 by White Cap (677 found)

Found it with Sir Zargon on a cache run weekend.

TFTH

White Cap

Philadelphia, MS

(one of those obvious cut-n-paste logs you said are devoid of content)

January 24, 2005 by Mike Wiskey (61 found)

Group trip with Sim Kata, Waltman, Good Witch, And Clutch.

January 24, 2005 by Sim Kata (112 found)

Found with Mike Wiskey and Waltman and friends.

(another couple of the types of logs you described as devoid of content)

September 1, 2005 by tdecell (1066 found)

ptb drop

(gotta say these tb drop logs are devoid of content)

December 26, 2005 by altofunny (589 found)

Thanks for the fun find.

January 15, 2006 by Dodger46 (121 found)

Thanks for the hunt.

Dodger46

Greenville

(hmmmmmm, does it count when they spell it out?)

March 14, 2006 by Tinkergirl (15 found)

Found with Elvisfan and Bassangler. TNLNSL

December 9, 2006 by Spike_The_Geo_Dog (2702 found)

woof!

March 11, 2008 by LSU_armyboy (254 found)

found it

Looks to me it depends on how you define "at least something to say about the cache". "found it" say as much and as little as a blank log. It just uses more characters to do so.

Where did you see somebody saying that blank and terse logs render other logs "null and void"?

Someone made an anecdotal post earlier about bad teeth and lack of deodorant and how they affect other people. I may have misinterpreted what the poster was trying to say. But it seemed like he was saying that these types of logs ruin the cache and other cache logs. But maybe that poster can elaborate and clarify what he was saying and clear up any misunderstanding.

But good to know that you don't believe that blank or terse logs have any affect on the other logs. ;)

:lol: That's really amusing!... But would you post the same for someone you didn't know?

Probably not. I'm trying to practice the Thumper Principle; "If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all". Add to that, my unwillingness to outright lie in a log. When I translate this principle into action, what I end up doing is not logging them at all. I'm part of a kooky minority that actually believes that all caches are not created equal, and as such, (in my highly biased and probably unpopular opinion), some caches just plain suck. Most LPCs I've seen reside at the far end of the suckiness scale. (Yeah, there are exceptions. No, I don't want to see them) I've learned to tweek my PQs to avoid, for the most part, caches that I feel really suck, but on occassion, one sneaks through. When I get to ground zero of a crappy cache, I just walk away. I'd rather lose a smiley than hurt a cache owner's feelings. As of this writing, I'm up to about 5 dozen that I've found and never logged.

I was thinking the same thing. My theory is that those that tend to write more verbose logs will try to write logs that reflect the quality of the cache, and those that tend to write blank logs, log consisting only of an acronym or two, and cut-n-paste logs will write the same sort of log on most of the caches they find. So, "hide a good cache, you'll get good logs" probably does have some validity but doesn't seem to change the logging practices of those that are predisposed to writing terse logs.

Here's a cache that was placed in 2001 (I was the sixth person to find it). http://coord.info/GC2BAE The early logs all have interesting comments. Some of the logs are extremely verbose, and quite interesting. (...) Of the last 15 logs, one is totally blank. One is "sent from my mobile device." One is only "TFTC" and another says simply "TFTC fun find." Two are obvious cut-n-paste "Found with...." So about half the logs from the past six months are completely devoid of content. (...) 100% of the logs dated 2009 or earlier have at least something to say about the cache.

I suspect that there are two factors at play: one, a reluctance to wax lyrical when it's all been said before for the cache in question; two, the general Death Of Geocaching. It would be interesting to see data that can distinguish the two effects. The example as described above, while interesting, doesn't.

So, "hide a good cache, you'll get good logs" probably does have some validity...

On occasion, I get asked what kind of caches I like to hide. My standard answer is, "The kind of cache that gets long logs". I think I've mostly been successful. Even those folks who post fairly short logs of only a few sentences seem to type more on my caches than they do on other ones. (or maybe I'm just perceiving this because it's what I want to believe?) As far as how this is accomplished? I gotta be honest and say I'm not too sure. I tend to think that those caches which lead to the greatest adventures generally get the longest logs, so I try to make mine as adventuresome as possible. But you are also correct on your other point; There are some folks who will only write something to the effect of "TFTC", regardless of how much of an adventure they had, but these seem to be the exception.

Where did you see somebody saying that blank and terse logs render other logs "null and void"?

Someone made an anecdotal post earlier about bad teeth and lack of deodorant and how they affect other people. I may have misinterpreted what the poster was trying to say. But it seemed like he was saying that these types of logs ruin the cache and other cache logs. But maybe that poster can elaborate and clarify what he was saying and clear up any misunderstanding.

But good to know that you don't believe that blank or terse logs have any affect on the other logs. ;)

I will not argue with somebody that has a proven track record of twisting what I say to suit their own needs. No play with somebody else, please. Thank you.

Those aren't "Found" logs, they are notes.

And you had to dig through an awful lot of logs to find those very few examples, not like the last year or two where half the logs don't really say anything.

I try to say something nice about each cache that I find in the log. Such as "I really enjoyed this park, thanks for bringing me here!" or "Awesome job on the camo!" Sometimes though, the cache sucks, and there is nothing nice to say... in which case "Thanks for the smiley!" ;)

Those aren't "Found" logs, they are notes.

And you had to dig through an awful lot of logs to find those very few examples, not like the last year or two where half the logs don't really say anything.

Those are only about 3 of the logs and you didn't specify found logs. You said 100% of the logs at least said something.