First to Find suggestions

foggybottomboers

You don't have to put an FTF prize. If you do, it can be anything you'd like, we've seen anything up to $10 cash. You can also put two quarters so they can get a coke from StarBrand's imaginary vending machine :laughing:

You can put a FTF badge, or patch, but the first person to find it might prefer something else, and so might leave the FTF item and take something else anyway! I would say it depends a little on difficulty, size and the reason for the cache being where it is. I'd put different items into a cache on a long trek compared to one by the roadside. It's nice to leave a selection of things which might appeal to male/female cachers or different ages. Your own personal signature items could be good, as a lot of adult cachers collect those and it's nice to find something in the cache which is specific to the hider.

As dfx said, you don't have to put anything in as a prize for FTF. Some folks place their cache with a prize, some with a prize for the fifth to find. Just being first to sign that pristine log is enough.

We have placed gift certificates for a national coffee chain - enough for a couple of brews at least!

edit to add - we opted not to take an unactivated travel bug as a FTF prize partly because ours go missing in action, and partly to give someone else a chance at launching one that may be more successful.

Edited by popokiiti

As dfx said, you don't have to put anything in as a prize for FTF. Some folks place their cache with a prize, some with a prize for the fifth to find. Just being first to sign that pristine log is enough.

We have placed gift certificates for a national coffee chain - enough for a couple of brews at least!

edit to add - we opted not to take an unactivated travel bug as a FTF prize partly because ours go missing in action, and partly to give someone else a chance at launching one that may be more successful.

Yep. I do the same. A gift card for a popular coffee chain. But you're not obligated to do anything or to even acknowledge the FTF. However, you'll likely get some nice comments with the wee gifty.

I find them a bit tacky. I put a free carwash coupon in a cache for FTF once, years ago... it was a muddy spring and required driving down a dirt road, so I felt that was appropriate. But in general, an FTF "prize" to me feels too much like a bribe. Hide good enough caches and simply the publication of a new cache by you will get 'em running out at midnight.

But in general, an FTF "prize" to me feels too much like a bribe.

That is why I put a FTF prize in some of my caches.

When I hide a cache the local will run out and find, fast, no FTF prize is given. Finding the cache first is prize enough.

However, when I hide one that takes a while to get to. One that is a little remote, I will often add a prize for FTF to try to push someone to go for it a little sooner. I love to get that first log on a new cache.

I know that a coffee shop gift certificate will not really make a difference when you need to drive 20 or so miles into the mountains, then another 6 to 10 miles out a logging road. But it's worth the chance, to get a quicker log. :D

But in general, an FTF "prize" to me feels too much like a bribe.

That is why I put a FTF prize in some of my caches.

When I hide a cache the local will run out and find, fast, no FTF prize is given. Finding the cache first is prize enough.

However, when I hide one that takes a while to get to. One that is a little remote, I will often add a prize for FTF to try to push someone to go for it a little sooner. I love to get that first log on a new cache.

I know that a coffee shop gift certificate will not really make a difference when you need to drive 20 or so miles into the mountains, then another 6 to 10 miles out a logging road. But it's worth the chance, to get a quicker log. :D

I expect that no cacher who is motivated to hunt the cache you describe is "more" motivated to do so because you leave a prize for the FTF. But it is indeed a nice way to say "thanks for taking the time to find my new cache." :)

For our caches, we did place a FTF coin but made no mention of it on the cache page. (No bribery involved.)

Those who are interested in the FTF seemed to appreciate the coin as well as the clean log.

If I recall correctly, one cacher was not interested in the coin but it was gone by the second or third finder.

We also make a point to acknowledge the FTF folks on the cache page once it is found.

The key: Do what you are comfortable with...it's your cache!

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

The first couple of caches I hid had an FTF prize (the Presidential dollar coin) I was going to continue that but I noticed a trend for the most part there is a small group of people who always get FTF.

As FTF I have passed up the FTF prize a few times to let someone else have it. All I care about is that blank log.

Now instead of a physical prize I put a logo on my cache page that commemorates the FTF. I try to make this relate to the cache or the FTF person. Check out http://coord.info/GC2RGGK for my latest which links to the persons profile.