How to place a 5 terrain geocache.

Once the car went by below to give everything some scale, It didn't seem nearly as much 5 terrain as I had originally thought. I have at least 1 cache that requires a hand scrabble up as steep a slope and further than that one and I rated it a 4 terrain. Looks like a neat cache though.

That's a terrain 5 I could do. I walked down steeper "hills" then that before. Just slide down, find the geocache, slide down to the road below and walk back around to the top where your car is. Doesn't seem like that harness is needed at all, in fact quite overkill.

That's a terrain 5 I could do. I walked down steeper "hills" then that before. Just slide down, find the geocache, slide down to the road below and walk back around to the top where your car is. Doesn't seem like that harness is needed at all, in fact quite overkill.

Its a straight drop down, ill have to go back takes some picks and show you.

You'll slide your way right into the hospital.

Easier said than done.

In the mountain bike community, we've long used the acronym 'STIL' - Steeper Than It Looks to indicate that the slope has been inadequately captured in pixels. To get a real perspective of slope, you need to get one of a couple particular angles and from the top looking down is not one of them.

I'd definitely have worn a helmet for that.

Once the car went by below to give everything some scale, It didn't seem nearly as much 5 terrain as I had originally thought. I have at least 1 cache that requires a hand scrabble up as steep a slope and further than that one and I rated it a 4 terrain. Looks like a neat cache though.

Well there is the rope[special tools/equipment]

Me and Landondena placed this last year. Enjoy and watch out for falling rocks.

Nice!!! Looks fun. However I don't think its quite 5 terrain. Maybe a 4 or a 4.5.

Lol you guys are rough! Looks like a 5 to me! Is this a 5 according to your muster?

lavaarch2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hmmm....I think its more like a 1/1.5. :laughing:

only the lamp post and pill bottle are liquified.

what might be deemed a 5 for one is a 4 for another. i know its not supposed to be but surely there has to be some slide in the scale based on individual ability, previous experiences, and capabilities?

I'm still very new to this but it seems to me that people are basing their numbers on what they think it should be compared to their own abilities. I just did a 4 difficulty the other day that should of been a 1 to me. I've yet to encounter anything I believe should be over a 2 difficulty or 2 terrian but I've found some where the CO's felt differently.

I'm still very new to this but it seems to me that people are basing their numbers on what they think it should be compared to their own abilities. I just did a 4 difficulty the other day that should of been a 1 to me. I've yet to encounter anything I believe should be over a 2 difficulty or 2 terrian but I've found some where the CO's felt differently.

Well its all relative right? If I'm a strong swimmer, swimming caches will be a low terrain. Meanwhile if I'm a weak climber those all become 5s.

www.extreme-caching.com

There you go. Certified TOUGH caches.