Most Travelled Geocacher

Anyone have some candidates for the most travelled Geocacher out there? Not based on number of caches (although that probably helps), but based on the number of countries and states that that person has cached in. Even Alamogul, at 50K, has only cached in about six or seven countries.

I'm trying my best for this designation (logged the Tiananmen Square virtual today!) but have "only" logged caches in 10 or so countries on 5 continents. Had I learned about geocaching a few years further back I could add about 30 countries to that tally but as is I'll have to revisit them. <_<

I maintain a few Earthcaches in random locations on the globe in Africa, South America, and Asia and it amazes me how some cacher have logged two of those! I suspect the winner of this question is a European actually because the majority of well-traveled cachers I've noticed are from there (and not just armchair travelers either, taking off a year to travel around the globe etc is a much more common practice over there).

I think NY Paddle Cacher has to be near the top of the list.

I know that there are some that have found caches in many more states and countries than I have. I've seen a few profiles of cachers that have found geocaches in all 50 states and in more countries than I. But for the sake of comparisons, I've found caches in 24 states, 12 countries, and four continents with a total cache to cache distance of 119204 Miles.

I'm trying my best for this designation (logged the Tiananmen Square virtual today!) but have "only" logged caches in 10 or so countries on 5 continents. Had I learned about geocaching a few years further back I could add about 30 countries to that tally but as is I'll have to revisit them. <_<

I maintain a few Earthcaches in random locations on the globe in Africa, South America, and Asia and it amazes me how some cacher have logged two of those! I suspect the winner of this question is a European actually because the majority of well-traveled cachers I've noticed are from there (and not just armchair travelers either, taking off a year to travel around the globe etc is a much more common practice over there).

I still haven't made it to South America but I got close in Costa Rica so you're one up on me for continents. I hope you get a chance to get up to the wall while you're in Beijing.

I suspect that someone from Europe will hold the distinction for most well traveled cacher. It'll probably be someone from Germany. I know Germany is notorious for arm chair logging but it seems that no matter where I go I always see some German tourists. One of my favorite geocaching experiences was searching for a way to access a cache in Rome and coming face to face with a couple of geocachers from Germany. We continued to search together but could not find a way to get to the cache location so we chatted for awhile, discovered each others TBs we were carrying and went our separate ways. I was back in Rome about a year later and that access barrier was no longer in place so I was able to find that cache. Over the weekend I renewed some correspondence about a project I've been working on with someone from South Africa and now there is a possibility I might return to Tanzania in the fall (Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar).

I know that there are some that have found caches in many more states and countries than I have. I've seen a few profiles of cachers that have found geocaches in all 50 states and in more countries than I. But for the sake of comparisons, I've found caches in 24 states, 12 countries, and four continents with a total cache to cache distance of 119204 Miles.

Wow - thought I was up there with about 50,000 miles of cache to cache total distance.

Wow - thought I was up there with about 50,000 miles of cache to cache total distance.

I'm up at about 250K miles.

A local cacher made an "around the world in 80 caches" trip a couple of years ago. He visited 8 counties on 6 continents in doing it.

I know that feeling. My wife and I did a fair amount of travelling in 2002-2003 (UK, Australia, Japan) and with work and such, I could have gotten a lot more US States, but I didn't start on this until February 2009 and money's a bit tighter now than then! I did pick up 12 in South Korea last year, but that's my only overseas caching.

Edited by Alkhalikoi

Check out the stats for this guy:

RangerG/75

That's my Pop, an international pilot. He's only got 10 countries there, which I was a little surprised by, but check out the mileage on his coin that he logs in to all of his finds:

RangerG/75's Army Geocoin

Not bad for a year and a half of geocaching.

He's the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. That's some mileage there.

Check out the stats for this guy:

RangerG/75

That's my Pop, an international pilot. He's only got 10 countries there, which I was a little surprised by, but check out the mileage on his coin that he logs in to all of his finds:

RangerG/75's Army Geocoin

Not bad for a year and a half of geocaching.

Geo13 had fewer countries (8) but has found caches in all 50 states and of 9 Canadian provinces.

For some reason both Geo13 and RangerG/75 include a world map in their profile of all the countries visited, and not just countries in which they've found a cache.

For some reason both Geo13 and RangerG/75 include a world map in their profile of all the countries visited, and not just countries in which they've found a cache.

Yea, we've talked about that, and he's not sure how that happened. If you look on his GS stats page though, it's all accurate there. I thought it would be more than 10 countries, but apparently over the last couple of years he's been visiting those particular countries pretty often.

Somehow, I managed to be related to a geocacher, to whom I fondly refer as Godzilla Bird. (It's not my fault! I introduced our sister to Geocaching. SHE introduced him to it!) And who said that ducks cannot fly far?!

He has logged 274,916 miles, in 31 countries, 26 states, 4 Canadian provinces, and 6 continents (the find in South Amrica was a Locationless Caches, and does not color in the map. So a trip to Brasil is forthcoming.) And he's still working on getting to Antarctica.

So, if you see a duck flying overhead with a GPS, it might be FunnyNose

I still haven't made it to South America but I got close in Costa Rica so you're one up on me for continents. I hope you get a chance to get up to the wall while you're in Beijing.

I suspect that someone from Europe will hold the distinction for most well traveled cacher. It'll probably be someone from Germany. I know Germany is notorious for arm chair logging but it seems that no matter where I go I always see some German tourists. One of my favorite geocaching experiences was searching for a way to access a cache in Rome and coming face to face with a couple of geocachers from Germany. We continued to search together but could not find a way to get to the cache location so we chatted for awhile, discovered each others TBs we were carrying and went our separate ways. I was back in Rome about a year later and that access barrier was no longer in place so I was able to find that cache. Over the weekend I renewed some correspondence about a project I've been working on with someone from South Africa and now there is a possibility I might return to Tanzania in the fall (Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar).

Plan is to head to the Great Wall in coming days- it seems like several sections have geocaches on them these days so looking forward to nabbing one! Hoping to round out China with a few more in Beijing tomorrow (lots of virtuals, then some real ones by the old Summer Palace and just noticed a new one was placed in the park right next door to my hostel a few days ago- could've gotten a FTF!), then Xi'an will have one by the terracotta warriors and a virtual in Chengdu. Heading to Tibet afterwards hopefully but not even any virtuals there and alas can't place any Earthcaches as I don't know Tibetan or Chinese. <_<

Funds are going well enough though that I will hopefully be able to swing by New Zealand on the way home to visit friends and then I'll have continent #6! :) And hope you make it to Zanzibar, I pretty much plopped down on the northern beaches for a week and did nothing much of anything and it was lovely. B)

How does one check the total cache to cache distance anyway? I have a personal TB but only got it in November so several countries are missing off of it and it lists "only" ~32k miles.

Speaking of which, I stumbled across this cache yesterday and am hoping to nab it should I return to Ohio- 10000 Miles or More, a challenge cache where one must find 100 caches over 100 miles from home since May 2010. I'm at about 70 because I tend to travel in regions still so remote I thought one cache a week was a great ratio.

Edit to add another great travel cache I want to get someday: Sister Cities, a virtual in Los Angeles where you have to visit one of the sister cities of LA in order to log the find!

Edited by Andromeda321

Plan is to head to the Great Wall in coming days- it seems like several sections have geocaches on them these days so looking forward to nabbing one! Hoping to round out China with a few more in Beijing tomorrow (lots of virtuals, then some real ones by the old Summer Palace and just noticed a new one was placed in the park right next door to my hostel a few days ago- could've gotten a FTF!), then Xi'an will have one by the terracotta warriors and a virtual in Chengdu. Heading to Tibet afterwards hopefully but not even any virtuals there and alas can't place any Earthcaches as I don't know Tibetan or Chinese. <_<

There's also a couple of caches in the Summer Palace (not the Old Summer Palace). I spent a couple of hours there but didn't get far enough into the park and a student from the National Science Library was accompanying me so I didn't get them. The Summer Palace is definitely worth a visit even if you don't get the caches there. There's also a virt in the Forbidden City and I got within 200 feet of it before my batteries died on my GPS. I'm working on something in the next couple of weeks that could possibly bring me back to Beijing so I might get another shot at it.

Funds are going well enough though that I will hopefully be able to swing by New Zealand on the way home to visit friends and then I'll have continent #6! :) And hope you make it to Zanzibar, I pretty much plopped down on the northern beaches for a week and did nothing much of anything and it was lovely. B)

Unfortunately, even if I *can* find some funds to travel to Zanzibar I'll be working most of the time and won't get to have much beach time. I've got a skype call with a couple of people from the university in Dar es Salaam and a colleague from South Africa next week to discuss the project I'm proposing so I'll see how it goes.

Geofogies have put on the miles:

Antarctica (we know it's not a country), Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bhutan, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, China, Egypt, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, India, Israel, Jordan, Laos, Mexico, Nepal, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, USA, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe! **

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=2c0dadb2-4d2e-48c7-8e27-da0f7d4e2255

I have managed 18 countries, 34 US states, and almost 450,000 miles. Depending on the definition of "continent," I have 4.

But I am nowhere near the most traveled cacher! Mostly those stats are for my own amusement and to jog my memories!

If you're wondering about countries in Central America, depending on who you ask, some consider those countries to be part of North America and others don't consider them to be part of a continent at all (like Caribbean islands).

Iam going to vote for Geo13.

Check their profile out here.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=685787d4-3eab-43a0-93c0-9173fd284083

I mentioned them in post #15. There profile page map shows the countries they've visited but they've actually only found caches in 8 countries. All 50 states and 9 of 10 Canadian provinces is pretty impressive though. My vote would be geofogies (also mentioned earlier). Although they've found caches in fewer states they've found them in 33 different countries.

I'm not the top but I have found caches in all 50 states, 4 Canadian provinces, 10 countries and have logged 393856 miles excluding locationless.

The number I am most proud of is finds in 1166 US counties/county equivalents.

The 1166 is very impressive indeed! I seem to recall a few years back there was a NY Times article about the guy who (recently - 1980s or so) was able to document that he had been to all ~3200 county or county equivalents in the country. I've probably been to about 500, but most of that long, long before geocaching.

We're up there somewhere due to caching in Europe for two and a half years, then moving back to the USA. So far we've cached in 35 countries (including the USA). In the US, we've cached in 28 US states and DC so far (we'll add 2 states at least this year) and in 221 US counties. In Germany, we've cached in all 16 Bundeslaender (states) and in I don't know how many Landkreise (counties). As of last month, we finally have more finds in the USA than in Germany, though we still have more foreign finds than UIS finds.

Nowhere near the lead though -- we'll leave that to the pilots and air crew. But if I can swing it through work, perhaps I can finally cache in South America and Africa and Asia. Had I been caching in 2005-6, I would have been able to get caches in a few southwest Asian countries as well -- then again, I may still get that "opportunity."