Geo"biking"

tmwed4

OK, so cost of gas + need for exercise + too lazy/slow to just walk around = the wife and I wanting to bicycle around a couple of large cities in the area. My question: what is the best mount for our GPSs? We have a Magellan Explorist GC and a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Thanks for any input!

I usually just fasten my gps to the handlebars with bungie cords, but those ram mounts look very nice.

tmwed4, be sure to see if your area has rail trails or the like. Here in western NY we have several defunct railroad tracks that have been repurposed for hiking/biking trails, as well as the Erie Canal towpath. There are hundreds of caches hidden on these trails in our area!

We have a Magellan Explorist GC

If you have one, the mount from a Magellan Car GPS has the same connector as that strange slot on the back of the GC. I've heard of people that use them or made a similar connector out of a reflector mount. There was a thread here some months ago. Someone posted the measurements to make it. I was going to make one for my Explorist GC, but winter got me lethargic. this thread reminded me of it and that I still need to construct it.

I don't have a good answer to your question, but I'd just like to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE caching on bicycle. It's healthier, cheaper, and in my opinion, more fun. My parents live near a few gigantic parks in Houston (one of which has at least 250 caches), so when I travel South I spend plenty of time bike-caching! Just remember to bring water. :) Oh, and did I mention it saves LOADS on gas money? Bike-caching is by far my favorite method of traveling from cache to cache.

I don't have a good answer to your question, but I'd just like to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE caching on bicycle. It's healthier, cheaper, and in my opinion, more fun. My parents live near a few gigantic parks in Houston (one of which has at least 250 caches), so when I travel South I spend plenty of time bike-caching! Just remember to bring water. :) Oh, and did I mention it saves LOADS on gas money? Bike-caching is by far my favorite method of traveling from cache to cache.

I second that :)

careful with those ram mounts on bicycles.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=280805

Most handheld GPS receivers have poor mounts for bicycle use. Garmin's newer models with the metal rail on the back, however, have pretty nice bike mounts. I use Garmin's bike mount for my Oregon 450 on my stem and it's been solid. I mountain bike with this setup regularly, so I'm sure it works even with jumps in the equation.

careful with those ram mounts on bicycles.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=280805

Most handheld GPS receivers have poor mounts for bicycle use. Garmin's newer models with the metal rail on the back, however, have pretty nice bike mounts. I use Garmin's bike mount for my Oregon 450 on my stem and it's been solid. I mountain bike with this setup regularly, so I'm sure it works even with jumps in the equation.

Oh yes, there's another reason

I've found most of my caches on my bike.

I just put the GPS in my pocket and go with knowledge of the maps, I don't use a mount because I mountain bike and tend to try to save myself rather than my bike during a wreck.

Usually that's what I do as well, it's much easier just to pull it out of my pocket than to unmount it from the frame of the bike.

I love taking my bike out! I have one with front suspension that is great for urban areas and parks, and I have my full suspension for the real mountain biking.

I was thinking about getting a mount too. At the moment I bike with my GPS on a lanyard around my neck. I mostly stay on paved trails, not a whole lot of off-roading. When at a lake or park I make sure to hide my bike and walk through the brush to the cache. If you do this make sure to mark a waypoint where your bike is!

I was thinking about getting a mount too. At the moment I bike with my GPS on a lanyard around my neck. I mostly stay on paved trails, not a whole lot of off-roading. When at a lake or park I make sure to hide my bike and walk through the brush to the cache. If you do this make sure to mark a waypoint where your bike is!

Currently I use the lanyard mount too. One of these days I will attempt to make a handlebar mount though.

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the input. I'm thinking we may go with the official Magellan one for the Explorist and the Ram-mount for the Garmin. Thanks again for all of your input. If anyone knows some good areas around Tennessee to take an EASY ride, post those.