Partially in ground

jasonrn2000

I found a cool key hide container that looks like an inground sprinkler head. It must be pushed partially in the ground to look right.

I have read the rules that state a cache should never be buried. Would this container be ok to use as a cache since it's not fully buried? The base of the container is the only part in the ground.

I wouldn't put it with other sprinkler heads... I was thinking in the woods might be funny, but wasn't sure about the digging issue.

You'll have to consider that placing a cache like that on the grounds in the woods could very quickly become a "buried" cache, depending on your location. Around here, enough leaves fall in October for some woodsy areas to have 2 feet of leaves on the ground. You would definitely have a buried cache on your hands then. Think about snow as well. Just my two cents. :)

I don't think they're the best but I've seen a couple that were done fairly responsibly lately. The fake sprinkler head sits inside a buried piece of pvc so as to lift up with the most minimal of effort. A slight touch reveals that it's not a real sprinkler head. I agree with all of the concerns about damage to property but I think if these were hidden with permission (I know one was because I asked the property owner before searching) they are ok by me.

Right or wrong, they have become so commonplace as to be close cousins to the common skirt lifter. I'm sure the first few were awesome hides. Today... not really.

Not making a statement about right or wrong. I've only found 5 sprinkler hides out of my 4600 or so total finds. It's safe to say I've found hundreds of skirt lifters. While becoming more and more mainstream, I would agree. But as common as a skirt lifter? Not quite (yet).

unless it was far away from where there could be working units.

Two miles up the trail and it's hilarious!

'Blended in' along the golf course and it's a LEO encounter waiting to happen.

The commercially produced ones are at least a bit waterproof, but where you put it is always the key.

+1, and be prepared to put another container inside it to keep your log dry.

The one's I've found haven't been "buried" according to Groundspeak's definition (no "shovel, trowel or other pointy object" was used). They've been in loose bark/leaves/whatever, which is essentially the same as throwing handfuls of loose bark/leaves/whatever over an ammo can.

But the problem with them is that they train new geocachers to search real sprinkler heads. If they take apart a real sprinkler head, then the damage is done. Even if they manage to reassemble it, the water spray will probably be aimed incorrectly, which will cause damage to the landscaping.

Right or wrong, they have become so commonplace as to be close cousins to the common skirt lifter. I'm sure the first few were awesome hides. Today... not really.

Not making a statement about right or wrong. I've only found 5 sprinkler hides out of my 4600 or so total finds. It's safe to say I've found hundreds of skirt lifters. While becoming more and more mainstream, I would agree. But as common as a skirt lifter? Not quite (yet).

You have actually kept records of how many sprinkler head caches you've found? Wow!

You have actually kept records of how many sprinkler head caches you've found? Wow!

I have. 1. But the record keeping isn't all that difficult.

Edited by briansnat

I've never found one.

Me neither (2,100 some finds), and I'm from his area. I was going to say these things are probably much more common in warmer climates, but we've heard from someone in Minnesota who says they are almost as common as LPC's? I'm confused. I guess I will consider myself lucky to have not found any partially buried caches whose logs are always wet. <_<

i've found 2.. one if them was in a flower box.. huge sprinkler head in a flower box.. with no flowers in it.. just dirt.. and in a very public place.. and it's still there. it's amazing the things you can put out and the public just walks by. now that i'm a cacher, i notice things that " aren't quite right"

I am sure that was a jab but I'll answer anyway..

I find it no different than having the ability to drive down the road with your wife, pointing, there's a cache there. There's another one hidden there. There's a cache at the next corner...

While I do keep records on puzzles and multicaches, I don't keep records on every cache. But it is not hard at all to remember caches that stand out. Love em or hate em, a sprinkler head cache stands out to me and I remember every one of them. I don't remember their names but I bet digging through My Finds in GSAK I could have all them them IDed in about 5 minutes.

-- spellcheck helps with context

Edited by bflentje

I've never found one.

Me neither (2,100 some finds), and I'm from his area. I was going to say these things are probably much more common in warmer climates, but we've heard from someone in Minnesota who says they are almost as common as LPC's? I'm confused. I guess I will consider myself lucky to have not found any partially buried caches whose logs are always wet. <_<

Like Knowschad, I too am from MN. My claim is that I've found 5, or maybe 6. Yep, tough to find in the winter but all of mine found in the summer. And I also remember the logs not being anymore wet than any other cache. Again, I am not saying I agree with the idea of sprinkler caches. But if the hide is executed properly, they're no worse than anything else.