Geocaches in the "bad" parts of town

TerraViators

So, after reading another thread, I wondered why do many of the larger metro areas have a caching black hole? Generally, these are in the "bad" parts of town. Do people who live and work in these areas not geocache? If they do, do they just want to avoid their own neighborhoods while geocaching? Are geocachers who live and work outside of these areas avoiding these areas as potential hiding spots? Your thoughts.

While this is certainly not a rich man's sport, it does take time, travel and an investment in equipment.

It strikes me that (generally speaking), the folks in some neighborhoods might not have the disposable income or time or means to travel. At least not for something as frivilous as Geocaching. Just a thought.....

People hide plenty of things in the bad parts of town, but they usually are not caches.

If you are caching there, you could be mistaken for one of them or a cop. Which means risking getting shot or arrested.

There are lots of caches hidden in the bad parts of the city where I live, but I'm certainly not going to take my family to find them!

I've been caching in places that I thought were perfectly safe, until a fellow geocacher (or two), would email me to say "I can't believe you went there."

You live, you learn!

People hide plenty of things in the bad parts of town, but they usually are not caches.

If you are caching there, you could be mistaken for one of them or a cop. Which means risking getting shot or arrested.

There are lots of caches hidden in the bad parts of the city where I live, but I'm certainly not going to take my family to find them!

I've been caching in places that I thought were perfectly safe, until a fellow geocacher (or two), would email me to say "I can't believe you went there."

You live, you learn!

Not all 'bad' places are really bad, as reputations sometimes are hard to change. Central park was nasty at one time, but now is excellent.

I don't like caching in places that are dangerous.

I do a lot of caching alone, and it is just not safe for me to be wandering the streets alone in certain sections of town. It's just not smart.

I also don't like looking for caches near homeless camps. It's just not safe. It is a fact that a lot of homeless people have mental problems. I don't want to go wandering through their territory alone.

I like caches that help me to learn about and explore my area. I go caching to have fun.

I don't go caching for the adrenaline rush. I am not going to put myself in a dangerous situation just to log a cache.

I do avoid areas that I know are "bad" parts of town. A cache came out a month ago in one town that I have almost "cleared" and I have no interest in visiting that new cache. It's located in a park that's known to have a lot of drug-related activity (I know a family who used to live on that block and the kids were not allowed to play there), and there have been murders right around the corner.

The CO lives nearby according to the description, but it's definitely not a high-rent district.

Of the 4 people who've found it in the month it's been there, only 2 are what I'd "the usual crowd" in that town and they're a married couple; only one other who lives in town has attempted, I have a feeling the rest have a similar opinion to mine. If the park/neighborhood was nicer, it'd easily have a dozen finds by now.

Repeating what I wrote in the other thread...

We have a "black hole" in our worst part of town. There is also less density in the most expensive parts of town due to gated communities and the like.

Compared to other cities, our "worst" part of town isn't as bad as some others so I'm willing to cache just about anywhere in the area during the day.

We were out caching this weekend, and looking for a place to drop a TB, since most in town are micro's or mini's. I got to the description and it mentioned to beware of homeless and people having sex. This was on the edge of a business. We walked over spotted a few homeless having hanging out pretty much right on top of the cache. We decided to skip it and never return to that particular cache.

Someone placed one in a high-crime area of my town. The name was even "In da hood," or something like that. It lasted about a week before it got muggled.

I actually hid a cache once in the hood and named it "Gangsta Paradise". My reviewer at the time thought it was "offensive" so had to change the name. The cache eventually got muggled but only after a couple of years of service.