Opinions on Geocheckers

Nickie!

I have a new multi/puzzle cache for which I put a Geochecker on, as I know personally I like to be able to make sure I'm correct before I go traipsing out to find a stage of a cache.

However, I've found that on one of the trickier answers, people clearly aren't finding the information and are just guessing the number from 1 till it's correct. It really makes me want to take the checker down. What do you more experienced people think?

Thanks!

I often solve puzzles months or years ahead of a visit, I prefer to have the confidence that its been geochecked. :)

I abhor unclear questions where your research leads you to less reputable sites, which have potential to damage your computer. :ph34r:

Puzzles should be entertaining and educational. Make them too obscure and you risk alienating folk against them. :)

I like Geochecker. At least you know you have the right co-ords before you go for the cache.

I have a puzzle cache that has 6 of the 15 numbers missing......and that means the permutation is 720. If peeps want to try all 720....good luck to them!!

Gaz

If so many people are guessing the answer to the same clue that should tell you something about the question. It might seem obvious or simple to you but you know the answer! - you have evidence that many others don't understand it or can't find the answer.

If you want people to find the cache then look again at this particular question.

Thanks guys for all the advice. There's nothing wrong with the question - it's just reading information that is on display. I think people aren't always finding the information but part of the fun is in the looking, and the cache in question is a difficulty 3 :)

I do like the idea of a check sum though and I'd definitely consider that if I ever do anything like this again.

Thanks guys for all the advice. There's nothing wrong with the question - it's just reading information that is on display. I think people aren't always finding the information but part of the fun is in the looking, and the cache in question is a difficulty 3 :)

I do like the idea of a check sum though and I'd definitely consider that if I ever do anything like this again.

... I wonder if the person is doing the questions via google (or other search site!) and not from the cache site?

Some peeps will always cheat no matter what.

I say leave it as it is and if they cheat its them that have failed not you.

Good for you.

Dont know what one of these checkers is yet like but I will soon.

Please define cheat a little more. Puzzles are to be solved by whatever resources you can muster not about following a single pre-determined path. I have certainly used geochecker for the last digit as a last resort I don't feel bad in the slightest.

I much prefer caches with geochecker so that I don't have a wasted journey due to transposition of digits. If not then if I wasn't confident a simple email to the owner always gets a helpful response in my experience.

Another vote for some sort of confirmation whether it be Geochecker or a checksum, although as Lodgebarn says with the checksums I always have a slight worry that I might have transposed some numbers and arrived at the correct checksum but got the wrong co-ords.

I did do a multi once (similar to the OP's cache) where one of the stages was missing but there was no checksum or geochecker so I ended up plotting all possible solutions on the map, crossed off the ones that were in back gardens, the middle of a lake, etc, and then systematically walked round the rest until I found it.

Some peeps will always cheat no matter what.

I say leave it as it is and if they cheat its them that have failed not you.

Good for you.

Dont know what one of these checkers is yet like but I will soon.

Please define cheat a little more. Puzzles are to be solved by whatever resources you can muster not about following a single pre-determined path. I have certainly used geochecker for the last digit as a last resort I don't feel bad in the slightest.

I much prefer caches with geochecker so that I don't have a wasted journey due to transposition of digits. If not then if I wasn't confident a simple email to the owner always gets a helpful response in my experience.

If you need to do it without working it out in your head then thats up to you and your conscience.

Not knocking it, I use brute force myself sometimes.

I have a new multi/puzzle cache for which I put a Geochecker on, as I know personally I like to be able to make sure I'm correct before I go traipsing out to find a stage of a cache.

However, I've found that on one of the trickier answers, people clearly aren't finding the information and are just guessing the number from 1 till it's correct. It really makes me want to take the checker down. What do you more experienced people think?

Thanks!

I like Geochecker. I don't really want to go to a location and hunt for a cache that wasn't there because I got the coordinates wrong.

It restricts how many attempts you can make within a certain period of time and beyond that it gives a snarky message about using it sensibly and locks you out for 60 minutes or some such. If your puzzle can be brute-forced you really need to redesign the puzzle.

Interesting. As a cacher, I like to be able to check on Geochecker.

As a luddite technophobe (but one who likes setting puzzles), I haven't gone down the Geochecker road. This has the effect that those few who have solved my puzzles (more from general dislike of puzzles than the difficulty of my caches!) and who want to check first just e-mail me. They usually get a quick answer and on they go...

:ph34r: