Silica Gel to Prevent Molding Logs?

Recuse

While geocatching last night, I noticed one of the log books was very moldy/damp. The box the log was in seemed waterproof (nothing else was remotely damp). Because this was only my 4th cache, I didn't have extra log books or new ziplock bags to put a log book in. As a result, I was looking at the thread about what people carried in their Cacheing bags. Someone mentioned they had tons of silica gel packs, but didn't say what they were for. This got me thinking: Would including a silica gel pack in log bags help with the moisture issue? I realize the logs -shouldn't- get wet, but I see alot of caches listed as having wet logs (even in water proof containers). If the silica gel would help, I was planning on carrying a few packs with me when I cache to drop into log bags from now on.

They could conceivably help reduce moisture in the container until they reach their saturation point - at which time, they would need to be regenerated or replaced in order to be useful. Depending on the container, environment, etc, that could be a very short time interval (placement to replacement/regeneration), or a very long time...but that time likely gets reduced with each opening of the container, for that allows the interior enviroment to return to wahtever the native state may be. There are exceptions, but at least in my manufacturing experience, these paks really are intended to manage the internal environment until the package is first opened as opposed to modifying the package environment upon multiple open/close cycles.

At the very least here is some instructions on how to create your own:

LINK

That looks good. The warning's important, so people know not to open the packs.

Dessicant works wonderfully on a soaking wet log book that you don't have time to air-dry, but it takes silica gel of at least 4 times more volume than the log book to do it (in a well-sealed ziplock). As mentioned, it gets soaked, and you'll need to change it. So if your own well-maintained cache is in monsoon season, and just opening the thing causes water, a regularly replaced (large) dessicant may be great in that one very particular instance.

A few years ago I found a cache that used a clay desiccant inside. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but contacted the cache owner. The clay desiccants are reusable (you can dry them out) and considered more effective than silica. He ended the email by stating that nothing keeps a cache dryer than an owner who performs routine maintenance. I'd have to agree with that statement. I think too many caches are set out with the idea of, "Set it and forget it".

That would be a pretty rare situation where the logbook is moldy or damp and the contents of the cache OK. In fact, I dont

think Ive encountered such a situation. If the logbook is that bad, it probably means the container is not waterproof, in which case silica gel wont help.

The best thing is to post a Needs Maintenance request. Hopefully the cache owner will see that and come along and replace the logbook.

Silica gel can help sometimes and I do appreciate it when I find one in my cache, but Id be awfully careful and what you use. Some of those packs will split right open which just leads to a mess. I like to carry diaper wipes, a towel, and some replacement logbooks with me. I will do maintenance on other peoples caches under certain circumstances. For instance, if the cache container is basically good, but is up a hiking trail and water got in somehow. Its just easier for me to take a minute to dry it out, than the CO make the hike up there. I carry ziplog bags as well. Its pretty rare that I will add a new logbook, but if needed, I will put the old one in a ziploc bag. If its a micro, I will take the old log with me and offer it to the CO. Havent had anyone yet want it back.

One other thing to realize is that alot of caches get wet inside because the get opened up in the rain. This happens alot where I live because it rains just about every 2nd day in the winter. These are the types of caches which can benefit from a little wiping down. Silica gel not so helpful in this situation.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Seems like waterproof paper might work better.

Waterproof paper is great, except for cachers who use ink.

I use Rite in the Rain paper in all my caches and it works fine.

Same here. My gel pen (Pilot G2 Mini) sometimes have trouble with it, but a regular ball point pen works just fine.

A good container is also key! But, when I can, I like to include a packet with the baggie with my rite-in-the-rain logbooks/logsheets