ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

Re: Cacheola Crew

Anyone can enter at anytime, you will be started from the Newbies Dream Cache that is within a few hundred feet of the original startpoint. Your distance to travel will be the same as all the other racers so you will be eligible for all the awards.

Good Luck!

icon_rolleyes.gif Hmmm, how to handle this?? I seem to have found a missing racer today. No idea how it got where we found it. Who could it be? What could the information about this bugs name and location be worth? Anybody out there curious about this bug?

Of course it IS April 1st, could I just be trying to pull a good joke off - I do after all belong to a family with a huge sense of humor...

We will just see where this goes..... icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BerkMom:I seem to have found a missing racer today. No idea how it got where we found it. Who could it be? What could the information about this bugs name and location be worth? Anybody out there curious about this bug?

My bug, could it be my bug, Still stuck at the starting line according to his page. Please don't keep me in suspense. What is it? Where is it? Are you gonna log it? Oh my goodness, I can't believe it.... or do I dare hope?????

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?

Night Hunter is the only one concerned about the whereabouts of his bug? Everyone else is pretty confident that they know where their racers are?

Anyway, I can give a clue about this bug, he/she (?) is about 5% yellow with alittle white and alittle black - that is only a partial description, maybe I'll post more later... Hope springs eternal....

I will log it soon, and I'm even trying to talk BerkDad into taking this racer to PA this weekend, so play nice. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BerkMom:

...he/she (?) is about 5% yellow with alittle white and alittle black - that is only a partial description....

That could be Night Crawler. [8D]

quote:
I will log it soon, and I'm even trying to talk BerkDad into taking this racer to PA this weekend, so play nice. icon_wink.gif

Tell BerkDad that he is the coolest BerkDad I ever knew. [8D]

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?

team laughing gravy sincerely and publicly apologies to Cannonball Cop. We are truly respectful of law enforcement but were anxious about reports that a cop had 'gone bad'.

we are penitant and will do our jail time politely. we are throwing ourselves on the mercy of the court.

it's just that we had just lost another traveller 'eugene rockclimber' in So. Calif. who was placed in a cache - then the entire cache disappeared!

is that better than having a cache blown up by a police department? (this really happened in Cleveland just last week!)

don't think any traveler's had gotten that far yet.

the apology is sincere - and we are much happier knowing we are in the hands of a 'good cop'!!

quote:
My bug, could it be my bug, Still stuck at the starting line according to his page.

Night Hunter

Okay, time to let you know for sure that it is indeed the long lost NighCrawler that I have in my possession. (No more bugs at the starting gate!) Brogan and I found it at Rose Acres on April Fool's Day which somehow seemed so appropriate. icon_razz.gif How it got there is a mystery since no one logged it on the site or in the logbook icon_confused.gif, but the good news is that NightCrawler is going to be on his way.

quote:
Originally posted by Egnix:

In case anyone notices...My site will probably be down tonight.

YEA What the heck IS going on with the stupid computers?

What's that addage To err is Human, To really #$@%%(*) things up is a computer

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

I'd like to see a rule like you can't mess with a bug until it leaves NY. I guess my motivation here is that if I did live in NY it'd be nothing to just go pick up all 90 bugs except mine that are in the race (since they end up in about 19 caches to begin with) and take them to siberia with me on a business trip before they even get a chance to have any fun.

NY-ers have a significantly higher opportunity to futz with bugs than anyone else in the Union just because the bugs all start there. From NY they all take different routes.

I think it's something that should be thought about for next time.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

You don’t have to worry about NY cachers messing with the bugs too much; we have the weather doing a better job at it. Let’s see; first we had spring floods, caches still frozen in blocks of ice, and currently we’re experiencing an ice storm from the Buffalo area North. Let’s hope that the bugs still in Buffalo are of the cold weather type.

Geonavigating since 1991

Trippy,

What about all the CA cachers that are entered? The bugs all have to go into their area also, I would think that they not only have equal opportunity to mess with the racers but may also have greater motivation since they are near the end cache inside of at the beginning.

WARNING spell check ahead

The following was spotted on the OFFICIAL Cannonball run Stats page

quote:
Retreived - Crawfish Springs by White Rhino and Reb Shack

I before e except after c

Spell check police over and out

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Since next years race will be run by the NY group, it would be nice to come up with some rules/guidelines that allow racers to interfere with other racers and not disqualify themselves in the process. After all in the spirit of the race it should be do-able.

I think a rule should be is that you can't move your own bug and as far as moving other bugs something along the lines of you can't have more than any one bug in your possession at any time.

That would keep someone from picking up a whole bunch of bugs and dropping them off out of the way.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I think a rule should be is that you can't move your own bug and as far as moving other bugs something along the lines of you can't have more than any one bug in your possession at any time.

I think that only matters at the starting line because they started in a group. I'd rather have someone pick up 6 bugs and move them all along instead of picking up one and leaving the other 5 to wait 2 months for the next cacher.

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

I think that only matters at the starting line because they started in a group. I'd rather have someone pick up 6 bugs and move them all along instead of picking up one and leaving the other 5 to wait 2 months for the next cacher.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

I see your point also. I guess it depends on if you have a person pick up the bugs that wants them to move or a person who may put 10 bugs in a 5/5 cache.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

I was thinking more along the lines of a limit the length of time an interferer could hold a bug. Maybe a limit on the number of times one interferer could handle the same opponent. You would still be subject to the whims of team players. I also think it is fair to handle another racers bug as long as the bug can stay in the race. Slow pick-ups and long stays would still be expected.

I wouldn't be surprized to see some late starter finish the race first, avoiding all the squabbles along the way.

All good fun.

The map for the official stats page has finally been updated. Sorry for the delay, but my power has been out since Friday due to an ice storm that swept through Western NY.

Here is the latest list of "where are they now"

• NY - 33

• PA - 13

• OH - 23

• WV - 2

• IN - 1

• LA - 1

As for ideas on rules for next year's race, I think the owners should be able to pick up other racers, but there should be a limit placed on how long they can hold them and how far they can move them. For example, they can't hold on to the bug for more than a week, and they can't move it more than one adjacent state. They should be able to move their own travelbug as well, but not log it in and out of the same cache. They would be required to leave the travelbug in the cache box for another cacher to pick up and move along.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

As for ideas on rules for next year's race, I think the owners should be able to pick up other racers, but there should be a limit placed on how long they can hold them and how far they can move them. For example, they can't hold on to the bug for more than a week, and they can't move it more than one adjacent state. They should be able to move their own travelbug as well, but not log it in and out of the same cache. They would be required to leave the travelbug in the cache box for another cacher to pick up and move along.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

OPPS What I wanted to say was....I agree with these suggestions to the rules...

I think a ruling on TEAM movement may need to be addressed, if we're going to limit personal movement to a pick and drop.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Well thought junglehair, how about minimum time in cache before the owner could try again?

That could easily be applied to teams too.

As an aside, thanks for all the map work. I do question why my bug still shows in an older cache. Does it matter? While the physical representation is correct, he has traveled to three more actual locations. The fact one was a locationless cache gave him some outrageous miles.

We probably need to add to next year's rules that a travel bug cannot be placed into an "unknown cache" (which presents a unique set of problems for a Cannonball racer). ict X ckr mistakenly said that his bug, the TOMAHWAK, was placed in a “locationless” cache, which would be against the rules (specifically rule #2..."no virtuals or locationless"). But in fact, the TOMAHWAK was placed in an "unknown cache" which actually moves around, and is NOT against the rules. However, since there is going to be a "Most Mileage" award, we may want to discuss whether or not TOMAHWAK should be disqualified for the mileage award.

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Well thought junglehair, how about minimum time in cache before the owner could try again?

That could easily be applied to teams too.

As an aside, thanks for all the map work. I do question why my bug still shows in an older cache.

A minimum time requirement would work as well. Teams might be more difficult to address as it could be difficult to prove who is working together as a team.

As for the position of Tomahawk, he seems to be in the correct cache (Tommy's Toolbucket). On the map it may not look like he has moved, since I label the clusters, rather than each individual travelbug. While he has moved around, he is still within the Northern NY group. Does that answer your question?

If anyone notices that their racer isn't shown correctly on the map, feel free to post a message and I will look into it. It's easy to overlook something when dealing with 73 racers!

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

quote:

The problem I could see with another racer can only hold a bug for a week is a lot of geocachers only cache on weekends. You could pick up a bug one week, have rain the following weekend, relatives the next weekend etc. It would be a hard rule to enforce.

Perhaps a week isn't much time, but it should be long enough to run a little interference if that is what they want to do. Rain or relatives may stop them from carrying it across the state line or taking it to that really difficult cache, but they could just drop it in an easy one nearby if they ran out of time. I still think a week or maybe 10 days should be the max. If they hold onto it longer than that, then their travelbug is disqualified.

-Junglehair

I observed on the 'Official stats' page that the 'racer position' and the 'Miles to go' are synonymous, IE: sorting by either produces the same order. How about a sortable column showing the 'Miles traveled' by a TB? This should be easy to parse considering that each TB has the miles traveled listed on it's page. Then we could keep track at a glance who is leading that prize catagory. Of course we'll have to deal with the mileage accrued by the bugs placed in a 'Traveling cache'.

~Cycyclist

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees ther

[This message was edited by cycyclist on April 13, 2003 at 10:35 AM.]

Why are there so many racing bugs still near the starting site? A couple of the bugs are taking off and most are getting nowhere. The race will be over before the other bugs leave New York! I've enjoyed watching the race and have helped a couple of the bugs already but I just wish there was a much bigger race with the other bugs going everywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Yay! Someone finally went out and moved my racer. I don't care that it was 60 miles EAST, at least it moved! WooHoo!

Boy, can I relate to that. Mine has finally been picked up from the first cache it was placed in. I hope it finally moves out of New York.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:

Why are there so many racing bugs still near the starting site? A couple of the bugs are taking off and most are getting nowhere. The race will be over before the other bugs leave New York! I've enjoyed watching the race and have helped a couple of the bugs already but I just wish there was a much bigger race with the other bugs going everywhere.

Perhaps we might want to discuss a different starting point for next year's race? I think Brogan has done a fine job, but maybe it would help them get spread out better if we started the race in a warm weather clime in the springtime. Bugs might get off to a better start.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, espeically Brogan's, but I am more than willing to host an event next year to start the second race here in Southern California.

Other possibilities to consider. What about not excluding Canada as a traveling spot? How about making the bugs go to specific states along the way. Say each bug starts in one spot, but each bug must make it to a checkpoint state. So all bugs start in New York, or whereever, then must make it to the checkpoint states of Florida, Kansas and Washington before finishing.

Conceivably, a bug could make it all the way to Kansas, then have to backtrack to Florida to reach the checkpoint before continuing on to Washington and then the finishing cache. Things to think about for next year.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Sorry for not responding quickly. The new forums don't automagically subscribe you to a thread you reply to anymore.

The California thing may be a point, but they still won't (in my opinion) end up with ALL the bugs in 4-5 geocaches within a few days' time icon_smile.gif So they will not be able to get one of their friends to go out and get ALL the travel bugs on a weekend and send them to bermuda or something.

I think it's something that needs to be addressed next time around.

On a side note... is there any limit to how long someone can hold onto a racer? It's going on two weeks since someone took mine. It's not even on the market at this point. Actually it's more than two weeks, I know it's tax season (wabbit season!) but come on icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

On a side note... is there any limit to how long someone can hold onto a racer? It's going on two weeks since someone took mine. It's not even on the market at this point. Actually it's more than two weeks, I know it's tax season (wabbit season!) but come on icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

_Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time._

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

My bug didn't even leave the starting point for two weeks. You can't do much about enforcing a time limit for a cacher to hold a bug. What is your recourse if the bug get's held to long?

Bugs, by their nature, end up missing, stuck in a far away cache, stuck at the bottom of someone's back pack, end up going the wrong way, taken and not logged, etc etc

The whole point of the race is to get to California despite all the dificulties a bug faces. And get there first.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I'm familiar with the way bugs operate and the associated hazards.

I think if you're going to (knowingly) divert a bug from its course... just do it and get it over with. Saying "I'm going to bring this back east" and then holding it for several weeks while you do so doesn't seem appropriate. With the associated log entry, it makes it appear as if the delay is intentional vs. simply being a symptom of regular geocaching activity and bug hazards.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

For what my opinion is worth, I am having a great time w/ this race. Just want to say thanks to Brogan and others for starting it.

This race has made it so my 16 yr old twin boys and I got to see Pennsylvania the weekend after it started for a long day trip of caching for a great "quality mom/sons time" together, times that are probably numbered since they will be going off to college in another 1.5 yrs. Also I got out w/ my fiance for a weekend away from the 4 kids (and ice storm as it turned out) for a great spontaneous roadtrip to Missouri and back, best roadtrip of my life (so far). We have also moved 2 other bugs from their original hiding spots to help them on their way. W/o this race and hobby, none of this woulda happened. Thanks again!