ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

The Cannonball Run Pace Car was placed today in the remote Casparis geocache in the southwestern Pennsylvania hills. This cache can only be reached with a four-wheel drive vehicle. Take a look at the topo map for the cache.

I am ever so sorry about accidentally dropping this bug into the ammo box. I really didn't mean it.

(NOTE: All the other bugs that I picked up, which ARE eligible to win prizes in the race, are being placed in caches that are a little easier to get to!)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

Aha -- I know the culprit! It seems that most of the remaining bugs are in that picture, and it looks to have been taken after the event was over. I know that her and her dad picked up many of the bugs at the gathering.

Some good will come of this... I am happy.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

After looking more closely at the picture, I think I know what happened to El Diablo and some of the other bugs!

icon_biggrin.gif I thought that salad seemed extra crunchy. NO, that wasn't me with El Diablo on the fork, but I am sitting on her left (the blue shirt)

Looks like all racers have now been accounted for except poor Night Crawler. Still trying to track that one down.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

[This message was edited by junglehair on March 23, 2003 at 07:12 PM.]

Hello Cannon Ball travel bug owners. A fellow geocacher emailed and directed me to this forum. We were the last to leave Bryncliff and there was a table full of TB's without a ride. The cache bag was packed full with the remaining 17. Ten have been placed so far. All were put in recently placed caches. They were packed full. The weather changed and we've run into a snag for the remaining seven. Western NY had a quick warm up causing a rapid melt of the snow pack causing ice jam flooding in the typical cache areas. Two of the caches we sought were awash and now mobile. On higher ground the older existing caches we visited were still frozen in a block if ice.

This past weekend I was over to MrsMom's house for dinner where we discussed the last seven. Obviously we wished that fellow cachers took more bugs because placing seventeen is a bit of a task for two single parents with hectic schedules. We felt bad for the owners of the remaining TB's and have come up with a plan. Please discuss the plan in this forum, find consensus.

We plan to leave work a few hours early this Friday to drive to Erie PA and place racers. MrsMom has logged all seven in her possession. Because we are not racers and are separate geocachers, would the rules allow me to find the bugs placed by MrsMom in a PA cache and then move them to an OH cache? Let the discussion wars begin...

If this is legal, by Thursday, would someone local or with a bit more time e-mail me with information on LARGE accessible caches along the PA - OH border near I-190? I would like to get all of them in one Ohio cache.

As far as logging the racers; we logged as they were placed. We did not want to know who's TB's we had in our possession as we personally know many of the race owners. Without the knowledge of the owners there could not be any bias. It was all in the luck of the draw.

Next Cannon Ball Run we are leaving EARLY with only four racers.

Geonavigating since 1991

quote:
Originally posted by MrMom:

Because we are not racers and are separate geocachers, would the rules allow me to find the bugs placed by MrsMom in a PA cache and then move them to an OH cache? Let the discussion wars begin...

If MrsMom placed them in a cache, then yea you could take them back out and move. MrsMom could even place them in a cache in PA and then take them back out and move them to OH.

Some have questioned what is 'phyically placing', and how long should it stay, etc etc. But as far as I care MrsMom (or you or both or whatever works best) are welcome to move the racers as far you want. icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Thanks to MrMom/MsBusyMom for logging the travelbugs that you have. As for moving them to Ohio, there is nothing in the rules to say that the same cacher can't move a racer from state to state, as long as they are "physically placed" in a cache in each state. Of course, there are those that say the bug should be placed in the cache, the cache put back in it's hiding place, then retrieved again and the bug removed. icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

The last bug to leave the starting line is poor night crawler. I sent emails out this weekend to all the cachers that picked up bugs at the event. Hopefully someone will know his whereabouts.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

Of course, there are those that say the bug should be placed in the cache, the cache put back in it's hiding place, then retrieved again and the bug removed.

icon_biggrin.gifThe rules say that a racer has to be physically placed in a cache (actual physical cache mind you) in the state to move on, but does not define what "physical placement" is, or give a time resriction.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

For another "until the official site has this, you can go here" feature...

I've updated my stats page (click 'Current Stats') to list current race positions of all the bugs (well all the bugs I normally show).

I haven't verified that it's 100% accurate, but I thought it looked good enough to post...

...actually I know it's not 100% accurate...and that's because of those stupid quotation marks in some cache names. (So if a bug has been logged into a cache which has quote marks in it's name, that log will be ignored.) I'll work on that next...

(My subconscious is telling me I should post this in an effort to increase my procrastination of doing really important things...)

I'm wondering if there's a statistic or feature people are just dying to see for the race. I think race position has been a big plus, but is there something else that would be really cool to have?

How about Bugs ranked in coolness? Shall we go for longitudinally impaired? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for the OFFICIAL stat page to start utilizing that first column. Not that we don't appreciate yours Egnix.

At least you're procrastinating as I am from doing my taxes like I did this past weekend. I bagged 4 caches. The IRS can wait for their cache.

Can the official page have "Currently in the hands of_____________" or "Currently in the cache ______________" in the status column.

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

Lots of good ideas. I've got a red-eye home from the West to the East tonight, so I doubt I'll get anything done tonight (though I have my laptop in case I can't sleep).

I should be able to get some updates done tomorrow though as I will be trying to recoup by working from home.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

icon_rolleyes.gifWhat the heck happened to the forum? Well, I hope those racers really tear up the pavement this weekend. Especially to get some distance between each other - the poor map is so cluttered!

Here's some useless trivia...

The current first place travelbug (Oscar's Express) and last place travelbug (Burt & Dom) are 800 miles apart.

The straight line distance from start to finish is 2265 miles.

The racers have travelled through 6 states so far (NY, PA, OH, KY, TN, and WV).

-Junglehair

icon_eek.gif The Screamin' Gogomobile has been kidnapped by a "Cannonball Cop" and is now being held somewhere back in Buffalo! I sure hope SG doesn't end up in "jail" for the rest of eternity! He also grabbed RenoRumRunner - we were both idling in Ohio for a couple of weeks and were tied for third place for a short time. Anyone else been pulled over by this rogue cop???

icon_smile.gif Woo hoo! icon_smile.gif

4x4 Lightning made a good couple of moves this weekend. Still hanging out with El Diablo and Brock Yates, though. With El Diablo always talking about fire and brimstone and Brock running folks off the road, some of the other buge are getting a little nervous.

heh heh heh heh heh

Thanks for the boost, busymom & mrmom.

quote:
Originally posted by dwgogo:

icon_eek.gif The Screamin' Gogomobile has been kidnapped by a "Cannonball Cop" and is now being held somewhere back in Buffalo! I sure hope SG doesn't end up in "jail" for the rest of eternity! He also grabbed RenoRumRunner - we were both idling in Ohio for a couple of weeks and were tied for third place for a short time. Anyone else been pulled over by this rogue cop???

If you want stats on the arrested CB tb's, here they are 1) Coast to Coast 3/20, 2) Beaver Meadow Scout 3/20, 3) Lenny the lizard 3/20, 4) MiGo 3/21, 5) VW Express 3/20, 6) Tony 20 3/21, 7) WheresGeorge 3/20. As for being a "rouge cop", be careful, I just might send yours so far east - it might need a boat just to get of some deserted island. BTW: Oscar is still in reach fo me, as well. He hasn't crossed the Mississippi yet.

signed " The Cannonball Cop " SF1

team laughing gravy (renorumrunner) concurring with Gogomobile's owner - and all the other CB tb's in the clutches of Strikeforce1. Is this a 'bad cop' gone really bad?

Can we get some groundrules on 'anything goes' in the Cannonball? If forward progress is limited to adjacent states - is backward progress limited the same way? and once a cacher is in possession of a racer bug - is there a time limit to placement in a cache?

These questions are open to the forum - requesting feedback from any who care...

Some progress made...

Well, there wasn't too much progress for the racers this weekend, but it was somewhat cold and rainy in our part of the world. A few of the bugs managed to make it out of NY, so I thought I would update my list.

• NY - 35

• PA - 18

• OH - 18

• WV - 1

• GA - 1

I think that my travelbug (Captain America) has been sidetracked. Maybe he's off saving someone's dog. He was last seen close to Harrisburg, PA icon_frown.gif

-Junglehair

Strikeforce hasn't broken any rules in his recent actions, the "ticketed" bugs are free to return to Ohio (which I believe was the last continuous state that they were in) and proceed in the race from there, he (Strikeforce ) did not destroy the bugs, nor did he retain possession of them for a long period of time. While some of you may not like what he did, he has played by the posted rules.

quote:
Originally posted by LaughingGravy:

team laughing gravy (renorumrunner) concurring with Gogomobile's owner - and all the other CB tb's in the clutches of Strikeforce1. Is this a 'bad cop' gone really bad?

Can we get some groundrules on 'anything goes' in the Cannonball? If forward progress is limited to adjacent states - is backward progress limited the same way? and once a cacher is in possession of a racer bug - is there a time limit to placement in a cache?

These questions are open to the forum - requesting feedback from any who care...

My understanding of the rules is that the bug must only travel to adjacent states for forward progress.

What that means for these bugs is that going backwards, it does not have to travel through PA back to NY. To get back to OH, it does not need to go back to PA either, it just can't go anywhere forward without going back through OH first.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Dear "Rouge Cop", icon_smile.gif

Oscar’s owner is an ex-federal law enforcement officer and can reach out and touch any driver making numerous, suspicious, trips across state lines in the northeast with friends with real arrest powers! icon_eek.gif Its ticket time in NY, PA or, OH! Watch yourself my friend, watch yourself. icon_wink.gif Obey all the speed limits and do not draw attention to yourself looking for caches across state lines! Does NY have a work release program? icon_smile.gif If so, come on down to FL next week to help Oscar do some cache in trash out work on the beaches for a while and we will have the troopers go easy on you. icon_cool.gif Oscar will be crossing the Mississippi soon, according to his plan. When he does he will still be in his owner's hands not yours! icon_wink.gif You are just about too late to threaten him at this point in the race. Tell the owner you are working for to heed my words about all the California cachers in the world waiting out there on that "fault line blockade" icon_eek.gif that I talked about in my last post on page 9 (probably now lost in the land of www OZ). I wouldn't back tract too many racers from CA right now if I were you. We are all in for a good whacking once our racers hit the state line out there.

'96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy

Can one still join? I know we'd be a month behind, but I think we could catch up.

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Cacheola Crew:

Can one still join? I know we'd be a month behind, but I think we could catch up.

Cacheola Crew

Contact Brogan - he is the organizer of this race. You should be able to still enter a travelbug, but you will need to send it to him to be recorded and released from NY. Shouldn't be too hard to catch up at this point. In fact, you would be ahead of my travelbug which is still sitting out by Harrisburg, PA. icon_frown.gif

Good luck!

-Junglehair

To All CannonBall Racers,

As you can see, I haven't broken any rules. This includes crossing state line illegally. My actions are not to harm in any way the CBtb's. As far as crossing more than one state line at a time, my understanding is that they must be deposited in a adjescent state cache. Since, I returned, arrested and / or extradieted, (in other words) them back to Buffalo, NY, they haven't actually been deposited in a cache, as of yet. My interpretation of the rules were and are:

They could: A) advance - preferred by owner - to their goal

:D be detoured or re routed - as to slow their progress and or aid another racer.

The Options (which would still be legal to the rules) are:

1) Advance thru Ohio westward and into Indiana , towards their goal.

2) Be taken to some remote cache in upper Michigan and sit idle.

3) Be taken southward into Kentucky, or SE into West Virginia.

4) Be taken further SE (ie: all the way back to Philly) Pa. to be deposited.

5) Be held for Bail or Rasom, and held ( to be released, if at all ) at some outrageous time.

6) Be taken from a cache, and never logged out, resulting in going to TB Grave yard, eventually.

I actually, have arrested several, and took the time and effort, ( to plan a route ), to move these on, if you look at the logs, they did legally move into Pa. and some went into Ohio. This was at no cost to anyone involved in the race, except myself, ( approx. $30.00 so far for the first trip, with more planned ), which I don't mind investing into this game. After all the " REWARD IS and Hope Will be " , meeting other cachers, finding caches, and enjoying the great outdoors.

My intent is to get these TB's moving onward, since the weather has not been the best in this area with the exception of a very few good days. Cachers here, are just starting to get moving again. I really am trying to spark some interest, regionally, to get these TB's going.

Also, as a fellow cacher, I myself would not want harm to come to my TB either. I would like to know that "THIS CLUB" is make of honest members, and built on trusting one another. After all, how many caches go missing each year, and with exception, there are very few, considering all that are out there. Unfortunately, things happen beyond our best efforts and / or control.

So, all said and done, IMO, you ( as willing members, signed into this game with full knowledge of explained RULES, and the understanding that TB's can go astray, when released ), should sit back and ENJOY the GAME. NOTE: Not one TB has lost any ground because of my action, they all put on miles in the forward direction. Knowing that your TB's are in friendly hands should be of some comfort, and that The Rogue CannonBall Cop might not be soooooo bad, considering what could happen to the TB's after all!!!

As another thought to all, I am solely working independant and have no interests or favorites as far as who wins, looses or gets rerouted, or any other status. Therefore until the Tb's get out of " my reasonable access" you will just have to go with the flow. All I can do, as a fellow cacher, is give you my word that I will not harm, damage or deface any Cannon Ball Racers, I will not hold onto any tb for any extened period ( usuall within 10 days ( My Moral Rule ) I want to place them), withstanding to all race rules icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gif.

Happy caching, and Happy Trails.

Strikeforce1 aka "The Cannonball Cop"

ps. to '96 Olymic-Volunteer + Siggy, up here in NY, FBI stands for " For Buffalo's Interest"!!!!!!

BTW: As I write this, it's snowing up here again!!!

ps. to '96 Olymic-Volunteer + Siggy, up here in NY, FBI stands for " For Buffalo's Interest"!!!!!!

QUOTE]

Who said anthing about the FBI? icon_rolleyes.gif There are many different Fed LE Officers. Glad to see the bugs went forward though and not backward as many thought. Oscar will still be in FL next week doing that trash work and maybe move a bit further on too! But he will still be keeping a eye on you! icon_wink.gif

'96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy