Why hide caches?

BCandMsKitty

This is a bit of a rant, but I intend it more of an information tool for those that are starting out.

Many times a cache is hidden (evilly) to make it a challenge for the searchers.

To me, the main reason is not to hide it necessarily from cachers, but to keep it safe from non-cachers (muggles), so that it doesn't get destroyed, or taken from not knowing what it is.

So

I have a cache that is hidden in a hollow tree that is about a foot in diameter with several holes all around it at varying heights. The cache is suspended inside the tree on a rusty wire hook on the edge of one of the holes, that blends perfectly with the old wood, and is almost impossible to see if you aren't looking closely, so I find it highly unlikely that anyone other than a cacher handled it.

A couple of days ago I did a drive by to check on it, and there it was, nice and dray and in good shape, hanging on the outside of the tree!

I don't know why someone would do this ... maybe in such a hurry to get to the next cache that they couldn't be bothered, or maybe just couldn't be bothered!

And it's not the first time, with other caches over the years, and also not just the new people either!

PLEASE! re-hide the cache as you found it as best you can. If you're with a group and you didn't personally find the cache and see how it was hidden, then get the person that did find it to re-hide it. And please don't take it upon yourself to hide it "better" than the cache owner, unless it has obviously fallen from a perch and is in the open on the ground or some such. And if you do, put that in your log so the CO can deal with the situation.

BC

This is a bit of a rant, but I intend it more of an information tool for those that are starting out.

To me, the main reason is not to hide it necessarily from cachers, but to keep it safe from non-cachers (muggles), so that it doesn't get destroyed, or taken from not knowing what it is.

So

I have a cache that is hidden in a hollow tree that is about a foot in diameter with several holes all around it at varying heights. The cache is suspended inside the tree on a rusty wire hook on the edge of one of the holes, that blends perfectly with the old wood, and is almost impossible to see if you aren't looking closely, so I find it highly unlikely that anyone other than a cacher handled it.

A couple of days ago I did a drive by to check on it, and there it was, nice and dray and in good shape, hanging on the outside of the tree!

I don't know why someone would do this ... maybe in such a hurry to get to the next cache that they couldn't be bothered, or maybe just couldn't be bothered!

And it's not the first time, with other caches over the years, and also not just the new people either!

PLEASE! re-hide the cache as you found it as best you can. If you're with a group and you didn't personally find the cache and see how it was hidden, then get the person that did find it to re-hide it. And please don't take it upon yourself to hide it "better" than the cache owner, unless it has obviously fallen from a perch and is in the open on the ground or some such. And if you do, put that in your log so the CO can deal with the situation.

BC

Personally, I re-hide the cache as found or better. :blink: But while we are ranting, let's address group caching. I see many challanging caches that are logged by a group of cachers, one finds the cache and takes the log back to the Cache Mobile for the group to sign. I fail to see the point when users log a 5/5 cache from the comfort of their vehicle, they never made the find. :) Group cachers have also been quite destructive searching for some of my caches.

1) This will probably be moved to Geocaching Topics

2) I have had the same frustrations recently and once I got it off my chest and cooled down by reading good logs I felt better. It's part of being a CO. Focus on the good over the bad.

3) Not every group is equivalent. When I've cached in groups we always rehide as found even if we feel it's wrong.

hanging on the outside of the tree!
This is why I hid mine so close to home. So when a Find happens, I can immediately go fix it. And I pass right by them all the time anyway.

You have a valid point. But people don't always understand what made it a "hide" (in your case, the strategy is to keep it inside the tree). And some don't seem to remember how they found it. I know, you'd think a few moments ago would be memorable, but I'm just sayin'.

So

BC

Some do that just because they didn't like your cache so they leave it exposed so it'll be muggled.

So

BC

Some do that just because they didn't like your cache so they leave it exposed so it'll be muggled.

Why do some people find it necessary to quote an entire long original post, even when it's right on top of their reply? This is the third time it's happened in this short thread.

Enough finders mess up caches that it discourages hiders. Groups are the worst,especially when it comes to trampling an area down...

Groups are the worst,especially when it comes to trampling an area down...
I've gone with a group of veteran cachers before, where their kids spread the Swag on the ground, then I'm handed the log to sign, as the group leaves. Now it's up to me to re-pack the container and figure out exactly how it was hidden, as I get left in the dust. Was it like this... or that...? Inside the tree...? Hey guys... come back... :)
Groups are the worst,especially when it comes to trampling an area down...
I've gone with a group of veteran cachers before, where their kids spread the Swag on the ground, then I'm handed the log to sign, as the group leaves. Now it's up to me to re-pack the container and figure out exactly how it was hidden, as I get left in the dust. Was it like this... or that...? Inside the tree...? Hey guys... come back... :)

then you should use the rule my brothers and i do when we cache together. the first one to make the find says nothing until all 3 of us have found it. the first to find is the one who removes it and puts it back.

We have a cache on a guardrail, in front of a pretty view. When we first hid it, the cache regularly migrated, sometimes up to a hundred feet within a finder or two. I never understood that. You would have to find it, sign it, and then walk a hundred feet and replace it. :blink: Fortunately, that hasn't happened for a while now. :)

If it's in a tree, there's a strong possibility that the culprits are not human. Taoiseach had a similar hide that was almost always hanging outside the tree when he checked on it. He changed it to a film can that isn't hanging, and now it's missing frequently. His running theory is that it's squirrels, not neglectful cachers, causing problems.

Why do some people find it necessary to quote an entire long original post, even when it's right on top of their reply? This is the third time it's happened in this short thread.

It's because people edit their posts, and in changing it, they can make replies seem out of context or downright stupid.

If it's in a tree, there's a strong possibility that the culprits are not human. Taoiseach had a similar hide that was almost always hanging outside the tree when he checked on it. He changed it to a film can that isn't hanging, and now it's missing frequently. His running theory is that it's squirrels, not neglectful cachers, causing problems.

I thought about that too, but this tree wouldn't likely be a home for much. It is open at the top, and is actually only the stump and ends 8 or 10 feet above the ground and not big enough for a raccoon.

Also, the construction of the cache ... a hook and solid unbendable wire to the cache. The cache couldn't be lifted to the outside without unhooking it from the tree .. unlikely an animal would re-hook it again on the outside.

But hey .. any thing's possible.

It's because people edit their posts, and in changing it, they can make replies seem out of context or downright stupid.

I could kill with my right index finger, it's been given so much scrolling exercise. :)

PS..I've probably quoted the wrong person, but I'm not too bothered really.

PPS. Please don't take my remark as some kind of threat, although, once again, I'm not that bothered.

Edited by currykev

What concerns me is that several caches I've found have been surrounded by garbage...empty drinks with lid and straw still attached, empty bags of chips and other snacks, with no other trash around except around the cache site.

With CITO being strongly encouraged and talked about in our community literature and on the websites, how can we have any excuse for this behavior? How can we have an excuse in ANY circumstance for littering?

It's Cache In Trash OUT

not

Cache In Trash all-Over. :/

If someone reading this is guilty of the latter, turn things around and pack-out your trash as well as a few pieces of other garbage you find there. This will help geocaching become known as a positive, eco-friendly, responsible activity in the eyes of the uninitiated.

And yes, part of the rules is hide it as you found it.

A cache that is replaced in plain view is one part of the problem. A cache replaced "better" than the original hide is another. If a cache is obviously out of place, that is one thing. I have found caches like the one lying on the ground in the middle of a fire road, and the hint pointed me to a nearby tree, so I tried to recreate the original hide - letting the owner know exactly where I put it.

But I have also seen caches migrate a 100 feet away (as verified by the CO and previous finders). And I have seen one star hides turned into far mire difficult searches, with a note in the log indicating that a previous finder hid it "better." A cache is notvsubject to a "rehide up or even" rule. It should be simple. Replace it as found.

Edited by mulvaney

Yes. Thank you. There is a reason that I put a rock in front of the cache. It keep the bear from chewing on it. Or it keeps it from wshing away in times of flood. (It also helps to hide it from muggles.) Yes, I know that it makes it harder to find, but please replace the rock in front of the cache. It's there for a reason. Thank you.

What concerns me is that several caches I've found have been surrounded by garbage...empty drinks with lid and straw still attached, empty bags of chips and other snacks, with no other trash around except around the cache site.

With CITO being strongly encouraged and talked about in our community literature and on the websites, how can we have any excuse for this behavior? How can we have an excuse in ANY circumstance for littering?

It's Cache In Trash OUT

not

Cache In Trash all-Over. :/

If someone reading this is guilty of the latter, turn things around and pack-out your trash as well as a few pieces of other garbage you find there. This will help geocaching become known as a positive, eco-friendly, responsible activity in the eyes of the uninitiated.

And yes, part of the rules is hide it as you found it.

some area's are just trash magnets. its a dead area where the wind blows it.