Need Advice, Oversaturated Cache Area

BlindTyldak

I need some advice from some seasoned cachers for this . . . I am new to the game and my daughter and I have really started to get into it (she even took TB's with her on vacation to get some pictures of them in neat places). I've gotten so into it I decided to do my final project in college using geocaching, by making a multi-cache highlighting environmental areas with information sheets, goodies for kids, etc., that would stay active next summer and then be removed.

Unfortunately, our area has been very saturated with caches from one individual. After meeting and speaking with them about my project, they do not want to move or relocate their caches (I could have one or two spots, MAYBE, I was told, and I need to place more like 20), and I was informed that no cache can be within 0.1 miles of any other. I've checked thoroughly and in family-friendly public areas (I'm especially trying to be disabled-conscious), they have literally placed one within this radius anywhere that I could possibly use for my project without trespassing. My professor advised to just keep the caches private and I would get credit, but seriously, isn't the fun in the sharing?

Has anyone else ever faced an issue with one cacher in the area dominating it so that no one else can get involved in the "hide" aspect rather than just the "seek"? If yes, how have you dealt with it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

I need some advice from some seasoned cachers for this . . . I am new to the game and my daughter and I have really started to get into it (she even took TB's with her on vacation to get some pictures of them in neat places). I've gotten so into it I decided to do my final project in college using geocaching, by making a multi-cache highlighting environmental areas with information sheets, goodies for kids, etc., that would stay active next summer and then be removed.

Unfortunately, our area has been very saturated with caches from one individual. After meeting and speaking with them about my project, they do not want to move or relocate their caches (I could have one or two spots, MAYBE, I was told, and I need to place more like 20), and I was informed that no cache can be within 0.1 miles of any other. I've checked thoroughly and in family-friendly public areas (I'm especially trying to be disabled-conscious), they have literally placed one within this radius anywhere that I could possibly use for my project without trespassing. My professor advised to just keep the caches private and I would get credit, but seriously, isn't the fun in the sharing?

Has anyone else ever faced an issue with one cacher in the area dominating it so that no one else can get involved in the "hide" aspect rather than just the "seek"? If yes, how have you dealt with it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

It actually sounds like your idea would be better served with private caches. If you look at the guidelines (which you need to do more than once before you hide any caches) there is a line or two about cache permanence. Putting caches out with the intention of having them removed 3 months later may well fall under a violation of that guideline.

Here's an idea. Set up the whole thing, and then host an event, open to all cachers, as your project. Give the coordinates of the temporary caches (that will not be listed on the website, so proximity issues don't apply) and give a presentation that way.

It actually sounds like your idea would be better served with private caches. If you look at the guidelines (which you need to do more than once before you hide any caches) there is a line or two about cache permanence. Putting caches out with the intention of having them removed 3 months later may well fall under a violation of that guideline.

Here's an idea. Set up the whole thing, and then host an event, open to all cachers, as your project. Give the coordinates of the temporary caches (that will not be listed on the website, so proximity issues don't apply) and give a presentation that way.

Sorry, I should have worded that better, by "summer" I meant more "from when the snow melts to when it's likely to fall again", so more like mid-April through October for our area. I had seen that there was the three-month rule, but had planned on making it long enough so that it could remain posted for our area's tourism season. Thanks for pointing that out, though. :laughing:

An event is a good idea, but unfortunately most of our seekers are passing through and do not remain in the area long. I really wanted this to be something more people could enjoy.

I just realized my response was incomplete. Continuing:

Not to mention the fact that if you approached me to archive one of my caches, or 20, or any number, with the intent of putting out a temporary cache in it's place, I'd politely tell you to kick rocks.

We have a pretty close knit, small caching community here. It's happened several times in the past that people have archived caches for a new placement by somebody else, however they are for permanent caches, and creative ones at that. No, we don't have that problem.

I wish you luck with your project, the event idea could be REALLY cool if you put some work into it. Might even convert a few new cachers for the area :laughing:

Sorry, I should have worded that better, by "summer" I meant more "from when the snow melts to when it's likely to fall again", so more like mid-April through October for our area. I had seen that there was the three-month rule, but had planned on making it long enough so that it could remain posted for our area's tourism season. Thanks for pointing that out, though. :laughing:

An event is a good idea, but unfortunately most of our seekers are passing through and do not remain in the area long. I really wanted this to be something more people could enjoy.

Why couldn't you leave them there for the winter season? Plenty of us cache in the winter, in all types of climates.

Sounds like a Waymarking project or a Wherigo type project. Those mediums would be well suited to highlighting such areas.

Our GPS's at school are not compatible with Wherigo, unfortunately, and since this is geared toward kids and they like really "finding" something, I wanted to go with physical caches. Waymarking could be an option as a last resort, but I must admit that I am still irked by the situation. *rumblesgrumblesjumbles*

Why couldn't you leave them there for the winter season? Plenty of us cache in the winter, in all types of climates.

Because I am moving overseas by the following summer, and would be unable to maintain them. :/

I agree with the private cache idea. I used to volunteer at a nature center that did this sort of thing. You could obtain the coordinates at the visitor's center, and it would take you on a directed tour of the facility, providing information at each stop that goes beyond what the typical geocache provides (and more like an Earthcache, except they tended to highlight biological/nature oriented features).

If you approached the appropriate land management folks about this as sort of a unique twist on an interpretive trail instead of a series of geocaches and that you'd offer to install all the relevant materials and whatnot, you don't need to worry about the local geocacher who's filled the area with the maximum allowable density of ammo boxes or whatnot. You could also provide written directions and/or paper mapsto reach the next station and whatnot to serve folks who don't show up with a GPS.

Not to mention the fact that if you approached me to archive one of my caches, or 20, or any number, with the intent of putting out a temporary cache in it's place, I'd politely tell you to kick rocks.

We have a pretty close knit, small caching community here. It's happened several times in the past that people have archived caches for a new placement by somebody else, however they are for permanent caches, and creative ones at that. No, we don't have that problem.

I wish you luck with your project, the event idea could be REALLY cool if you put some work into it. Might even convert a few new cachers for the area :laughing:

Wow . . . that's a shame. Not everyone can say for certain that a cache can remain permanent for a number of years but would still like to contribute to the community for the length of time that they have if it is reasonable. IMHO that's rather unfair that people who cannot remain somewhere for a length of time that would be considered "permanent" can be scrubbed for placing caches other than private or events in their local area by an individual or a small group, and this is considered okay. :/

Wow . . . that's a shame. Not everyone can say for certain that a cache can remain permanent for a number of years but would still like to contribute to the community for the length of time that they have if it is reasonable. IMHO that's rather unfair that people who cannot remain somewhere for a length of time that would be considered "permanent" can be scrubbed for placing caches other than private or events in their local area by an individual or a small group, and this is considered okay. :/

Nobody is saying anything of the sort. Why would someone archive a semi-permanent cache, for a semi-temporary one. If the area was open and you were planning on over 3 months, then everything would be cool. I find it hard to believe that all spots are taken. Might just take more imagination or your may have to try harder to gain permission for the hides. Although I don't know where your are located exactly, and you may be right, lots of people come on the forums and say all the spots are taken, when they really aren't. In any event, good luck. I hope you come to a positive resolution.

Edited by M 5

I concur with private caches.

Reality is we have a cache permanence guideline. So if you don't intend to keep them out then you're asking people to archive caches for a temp cache. Or going against that guideline in general. Waymarking totally sounds like a feasible option here as well.

And if you do move and don't have an adopter for the cache and leave them out as permanent now you can't maintain them. So they become geotrash. If the place is that over saturated I would suspect enough geotrash exists already.

I live in an area that is very saturated, so I was curious to see the area you were referring to. You certainly do have a prolific cache placer (over 1000+ traditionals placed over a wide area).

In comparison to my area, your area is definitely not oversaturated. However I do see that the cacher has laid a lot of caches along certain trail and around a lake (which I'm guessing is the area you'd like go).

I'd suggest two things, in addition to the excellent comments you've received already. First, don't do a multi-cache, use the existing caches in addition to the one's you can place. Second, there appears to be places you can place caches if you're creative and don't mind using a little technology. Here's what you do (short version)...

Download GSAK.

Download and install into GSAK the 'Google Earth Circles' macro.

Run a 'Pocket Query' of the caches in the area you want to place caches.

Download and open the Pocket Query in GSAK.

Install Google Earth if you don't have it.

Run the 'Google Earth Circles' on your database (pocket query).

This will display the caches in Google Earth. Any spot that (some exceptions) isn't within a circle you can place a cache. If you're a little creative you can find spots to place caches that are 'legal'.

Good luck with your project!

Might be a problem since who is going to go and get caches that don't add to your numbers plus the purpose of an event can't be to find caches.

I find it hard to believe that all spots are taken

That's not hard to believe at all. We have a local park that is 2.5 miles long and 2 miles wide with no spots left for a cache. I could post a picture of it but don't want to go through uploading to a server somewhere. And that isn't the only area that is totally saturated. I am not complaining those that put them there have a right to keep the spot.

I concur with private caches.

Reality is we have a cache permanence guideline. So if you don't intend to keep them out then you're asking people to archive caches for a temp cache. Or going against that guideline in general. Waymarking totally sounds like a feasible option here as well.

And if you do move and don't have an adopter for the cache and leave them out as permanent now you can't maintain them. So they become geotrash. If the place is that over saturated I would suspect enough geotrash exists already.

You can't be serious.

Might be a problem since who is going to go and get caches that don't add to your numbers plus the purpose of an event can't be to find caches.

That's not hard to believe at all. We have a local park that is 2.5 miles long and 2 miles wide with no spots left for a cache. I could post a picture of it but don't want to go through uploading to a server somewhere. And that isn't the only area that is totally saturated. I am not complaining those that put them there have a right to keep the spot.

I don't know what numbers have to do with anything. The purpose of the event wouldn't be to find caches, but to introduce people who haven't heard of the game to geocaching by using temporary caches as examples.

Next.

I don't know what numbers have to do with anything. The purpose of the event wouldn't be to find caches, but to introduce people who haven't heard of the game to geocaching by using temporary caches as examples.

You talked about it being an event. To be an official event it has to be approved by the froggie and that means all cachers can come it can't be restricted in any way. An event to introduce people to the hobby would have to be advertised/listed at another website.

Edited by Walts Hunting

You talked about it being an event. To be an official event it has to be approved by the froggie and that means all cachers can come it can't be restricted in any way. An event to introduce people to the hobby would have to be advertised/listed at another website.

No, you can have the event and make it an open invite. I'm really not getting what you're saying. I posted that you make it availble for all cachers to attend, then give a presentation/demonstration. Make it an open forum type thing. Experienced cachers can participate too.

Just an idea to help the guy with his project outside of the sense of entitlement issues. It may work, it may not. I'm not a reviewer, maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard others talk about introduction to geocaching events in the past, why would this one be any different?

You could also do a tour type cache. Where you gather information along a certain route that will lead you to the final. You would only need to find a location for one cache. Here is a well done example. GCTJK2 Notice each additional waypoint. This cache was done this way to avoid taking spots for future caches and a few spots already had caches too close. The additional waypoints don't count in the 528 rule

Edited by M 5

They were there first. They placed first, why would they give up a placement for a cache that you admit is not going to last more than 9 months, if that? The definition of Entitlement could use your post as an example. :laughing:

You have been caching for maybe 2 months. They have probably been around a bit longer. I didn't check who the owner of most caches around your area is, so I don't know for sure.

You will be moving in a year or so. They are probably a bit more permanent in the community. So far, their reasoning for keeping their caches active instead of giving them up for you is perfectly reasonable.

Have you placed a cache yet? Start with one. Then another one. Then learn from any issues encountered with them. Putting out 20 caches is a lot of work, and maintenance. Especially if, as you plan, you want them to be easy for all people to find. Constantly disappearing parts of a series or multi can be a huge disappointment and burn hiders and finders alike out on caching.

Listen to the professor and do a nice private cache series that can be given out to people without conflicting with the existing caches. Try to not place one of your private caches next to one of the existing caches.

If you really want to publish them, try one of the alternate caching sites. They exist and would love to have someone who wants to place 20 caches come to them.

I've seen cachers come and go and retire and return. If you believe you have the right to ask someone to archive a bunch of cache placements that they worked to create just so you can do a bunch for a school project, you may want to put yourself in their shoes and try understanding their potential reactions.

Jennifer

Next.

I took a look at the OPs profile to see what kind of saturation we're talking about. It looks like it's a fairly small town in South Dakota and the area is quite saturated in the town itself and several "trails" that follow a few of the nearby roads that look very much like power trails. When those that adamantly support power trails by trotting out the "you don't like them, don't do them...they're not hurting anyone".

This is a good example of why that argument doesn't hold water. Here, someone is trying to hold an event to introduce people to geocaching as an ambassador for the game but is having a very hard time finding a place to hide a cache because someone ignored the guideline which reads "Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can." That particular CO has over 1100 hides after only a year and a half in the game.

However.

It looks like the cache density drops significantly just a short distance out of town. I'd look for a place out of town for the event and place some permanent caches, maybe 1-2 of different types (traditional, multi, puzzle, letterbox).

Next.

I took a look at the OPs profile to see what kind of saturation we're talking about. It looks like it's a fairly small town in South Dakota and the area is quite saturated in the town itself and several "trails" that follow a few of the nearby roads that look very much like power trails. When those that adamantly support power trails by trotting out the "you don't like them, don't do them...they're not hurting anyone".

This is a good example of why that argument doesn't hold water. Here, someone is trying to hold an event to introduce people to geocaching as an ambassador for the game but is having a very hard time finding a place to hide a cache because someone ignored the guideline which reads "Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can." That particular CO has over 1100 hides after only a year and a half in the game.

However.

It looks like the cache density drops significantly just a short distance out of town. I'd look for a place out of town for the event and place some permanent caches, maybe 1-2 of different types (traditional, multi, puzzle, letterbox).

How does a person maintain 1100 caches? I own none, but help out and maintain 2. Just keeping them up with decent swag and new log sheets takes my time.

How does a person maintain 1100 caches? I own none, but help out and maintain 2. Just keeping them up with decent swag and new log sheets takes my time.

In my observation, they don't maintain them.

The best thing to do if you want to place caches in a cache dense area is set up notifications on cache archivals. When you see a cache get archived, yoink the spot. That's what we do.

Next.

However.

Yup, over 1,100 hides. I disagree though, rather than a year and a half, looks like 2 years, 3 months. Either way, look out there, King Boreas. :laughing: I agree with the last little paragraph, look for a place out of town a little to do this.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Here's something just a little off the wall. How about asking the CO to lone you the uses of some there caches for a event.

The caches stay right were there at with the same owner.

You can set up a muilt by adding a event log with any info needed with the owners log .

After the event you go back and pull the logs.

You can create a cache page with the starting point. And a thank you note to the owner for there uses.

Put your cache on another listing site?

If I read the first post right, you're not placing 20 caches, but a 20 stage multi cache? If so, you'll get very few finders, espcially from travelers.

Yes, the decreased traffic is an excellent reason to place multis.

True, but I don't think the OP was looking to decrease traffic, it sounded like he wanted to show off the area.

True, but I don't think the OP was looking to decrease traffic, it sounded like he wanted to show off the are

And the current caches don't do that to a level he finds acceptable so they should get out of his way?

Plus he wants to put in a 20 stage multi and if there is a container at each location then people will only get one smiley for traveling the distance when they can get smileys for the same thing now.

Edited by Walts Hunting
True, but I don't think the OP was looking to decrease traffic, it sounded like he wanted to show off the are

And the current caches don't do that to a level he finds acceptable so they should get out of his way?

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see anyone suggesting that others cachers should get out of the way (i.e. archive caches) so that the OP can post their own caches for the event.

Plus he wants to put in a 20 stage multi and if there is a container at each location then people will only get one smiley for traveling the distance when they can get smileys for the same thing now.

:laughing:

I thought I already replied to this, but I guess not. I would +1 that comment

Put your cache on one of the other listing sites. No one will find it though, so you will need to do your own advertising. Start by bragging about your great, high quaility, adventurous etc. cache on your local forums. Then post some video that shows how awsome your cache is. Start leaving swag with info on it about your cache (not buisness cards though, those just get soggy, maybe a wooden nickle (see recent thread on the topic http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...wtopic=260692)). Attend local events and have some info to hand out that showcases the greatness of your cache.

Of course, if your cache is ho-hum, this will not work.

Put your cache on one of the other listing sites. No one will find it though, so you will need to do your own advertising.

I got an idea.

1. Create a new user account.

2. Find just a couple of spots to place a cache and submit the listings.

3. State in the cache listing that you want to place a lot more caches but can't find any place due to all the existing caches.

4. Place $100 in each of the caches you placed as a FTF prize.

5. Watch how fast lots of existing caches are archived to make room for more of your own.

If I read the first post right, you're not placing 20 caches, but a 20 stage multi cache? If so, you'll get very few finders, espcially from travelers.

That's the way I read it. When I'm on the road, I rarely have time to stop for 20 caches, much less a 20 stage multi that is almost certain to be missing a leg.

Put your cache on one of the other listing sites. No one will find it though, so you will need to do your own advertising.

I got an idea.

1. Create a new user account.

2. Find just a couple of spots to place a cache and submit the listings.

3. State in the cache listing that you want to place a lot more caches but can't find any place due to all the existing caches.

4. Place $100 in each of the caches you placed as a FTF prize.

5. Watch how fast lots of existing caches are archived to make room for more of your own.

B):):)

Put your cache on one of the other listing sites. No one will find it though, so you will need to do your own advertising. Start by bragging about your great, high quaility, adventurous etc. cache on your local forums. Then post some video that shows how awsome your cache is. Start leaving swag with info on it about your cache (not buisness cards though, those just get soggy, maybe a wooden nickle (see recent thread on the topic http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...wtopic=260692)). Attend local events and have some info to hand out that showcases the greatness of your cache.

Of course, if your cache is ho-hum, this will not work.

Would the rules of this forum allow you to "market" a cache listed on another site? Probably depends on how you go about doing it, and if it ends up just being SPAM.

Here's something just a little off the wall. How about asking the CO to lone you the uses of some there caches for a event.

The caches stay right were there at with the same owner.

You can set up a muilt by adding a event log with any info needed with the owners log .

After the event you go back and pull the logs.

You can create a cache page with the starting point. And a thank you note to the owner for there uses.

I would change this up just a bit. Identify 20 existing caches that are interesting and meet your objectives. Then set up a 'series' or challenge cache in which folks need to find the 20 existing and once they do can get coordinates for one final one that you actually hide. Let the CO know you are using his caches as part of the series. He probably won't mind because it will increase traffic. No temporary issue and no issue of folks coming through that don't have time for 20. I am betting some active cacher in the area - would adopt that final cache when you move on.