photos of caches in logs

JohnnyVegas

I have noticed that a large number of newbies in my area feel a need to post a photo of the cache cantainers that they find. Some cacher do put some effort into making their cache hard to find with very good camo then the newbies undermine the CO artwork. Mysilf I just delet their logs.

Locally, we've got one caching couple that likes to do this with all their finds. For the most part though, most people are good about not posting spoiler pictures.

I've seen this done a few times and actually if I don't want to be spoiled as to how a cache might look like or where it might be I won't look at the photographs or logs at all. It's sensible to assume that photographs and logs might contain spoilers, but actually sometimes it's useful if you check after DNFing and realise that you were totally looking out for the wrong kind of container. :rolleyes:

However, I saw a really cool container recently and I took a photo of it but I didn't post the photo because I thought it was so unique and it would've ruined the surprise when other cachers went to find it. ;) For normal caches I don't think it's such a big deal, but for uniquely hidden caches in strange containers maybe politely asking the cachers to remove the offending photos would be best.

On all of my cache, the containers are not unusual in anyway. Lock and locks, or ammo cans. I don't mind pictures of the container as long as it's hiding space is not given away.

However, I have seen a lot of really nice containers done in such a way as to make finding the container as much fun as finding the cache. If I put one of those out I would be quite upset if someone put it's picture on the cache page.

If I ever do put a cache out I don't want someone posting a picture of, I would mention it in my cache page. If they did post the picture, I guess I would delete their log, and ask them to relog without the spoiler.

A common practice here and something I frequently do. I don't see anything wrong with it unless it's a uniquely camoed container. Other that that if you've seen one ammo box, film canister or Lock n Lock you've seen them all.

As a cache owner my favorite photo to see in logs is that of smiling finders holding my cache.

We do have several caches with unusual containers. I've only had two occasions where I had to ask a finder to delete a photo or alter a log so as not to give away the surprise for the next finder. Both finders were pleasant and did as I requested. I think you should try asking first, and if no reply, you, as the cache owner, can delete the log, or perhaps edit it? (I'm not sure if that's possible)

A lot of the caches around here are hidden in logs. Usually hollow ones. A few have been hollowed out by the hider, but most are naturally hollow. Sometimes people take pictures of the caches in those logs, and even of the logs themselves. But since the logs are generally the first place we look, it isn't really a spoiler for us. Photos of caches in logs are pretty normal around here.

If it's a photo of the container in someone's hand, I don't see a problem - unless it's a specially camouflaged container. I might monitor my own caches to make sure there aren't any dead giveaways, but I wouldn't get upset about a picture on a cache that somebody else owns.

I wish cache owners could delete or at least flag spoiler pictures without deleting the whole log.

A lot of the caches around here are hidden in logs. Usually hollow ones. A few have been hollowed out by the hider, but most are naturally hollow. Sometimes people take pictures of the caches in those logs, and even of the logs themselves. But since the logs are generally the first place we look, it isn't really a spoiler for us. Photos of caches in logs are pretty normal around here.

Is that photos of caches in logs or photos of caches in logs in logs? And I am still not sure if you have lots of caches in logs or logs with caches in. And are the pictures of the logs or the caches in the logs or just the logs themselves, either the cache logs or the logs with caches in them?

:D

:rolleyes:;):)

I would never post a unique cache when logging but I often take photos for my own memory of great caches and wish there was a way I could upload them to my profile photo section /gallery on the geocaching website. Is there any way to do this? I can only see that I need to upload it to a specific cache, and that would give the game away.

Thanks for any help.

I would never post a unique cache when logging but I often take photos for my own memory of great caches and wish there was a way I could upload them to my profile photo section /gallery on the geocaching website. Is there any way to do this? I can only see that I need to upload it to a specific cache, and that would give the game away.

Thanks for any help.

You could always use one of your trackables as a photo holder, and upload photos via notes.

It doesn't happen all the time around Ithaca but once I went looking for a cool cache called Briar Patch. On the cache page, the owner clearly stated, do not post pictures of the container or hide location. There was one picture of the container and one of the cache location in the image gallery.

I say it is a No! No! I take pictures of many caches for my own use but don't post them in the logs.

I have asked finders to delete their own pictures if it reveals the location. This is because I want them to keep their logs in place and I don't want to make them angry! It is a learning thing, let the others find the cache on their own.

If it happens alot just add a nice "please NO pictures of the cache location" to your cache listing.

I don't mind pictures of the container if it does NOT reveal the hiding spot.

I have only had to ask twice and both graciously did so!

Try not to get mad at finders that just need to understand their role - help them out in a nice way.

The words you choose will go along way!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I try not to give away too much info when I log a find. And I take pictures of unique caches I think are interesting, but that's for my own personal collection. I haven't uploaded them to a cache page. We were FTF on a cache made out of a log and there were 3 other people before us who couldn't find it. I took pictures of it from different angles but didn't post them. Didn't want to compromise their experience. The CO did request that finders send him a photo of it.

With that said, before the logs on EVERY cache page is the warning: "Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links." The "Spoilers" hotlink leads you to the Geocaching glossary definition of spoilers. So even though it might be frowned upon, it's not against the rules. I would suggest CO's include it in the cache description if they don't want photos posted that may give away details.

Newbies newbies newbies! Dang newbies are ruining this game! :unsure:

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

We are not mind readers if you do not want pictures then say so!

I never look at the pics before I look for a cache so I do not risk spoiling it>

Its not rocket science.

every cache owner is different and has different opinians I personally like photos of people enjoying my caches, but its down to personal choice.

I say it is a No! No! I take pictures of many caches for my own use but don't post them in the logs.

I have asked finders to delete their own pictures if it reveals the location. This is because I want them to keep their logs in place and I don't want to make them angry! It is a learning thing, let the others find the cache on their own.

If it happens alot just add a nice "please NO pictures of the cache location" to your cache listing.

I don't mind pictures of the container if it does NOT reveal the hiding spot.

I have only had to ask twice and both graciously did so!

Try not to get mad at finders that just need to understand their role - help them out in a nice way.

The words you choose will go along way!

I dont understand why people would look at the pictures before looking for the cache? if the finder is that stupid to luck at the photos then be upset they think the find was spoiled!!!!!

With that said, before the logs on EVERY cache page is the warning: "Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links." The "Spoilers" hotlink leads you to the Geocaching glossary definition of spoilers. So even though it might be frowned upon, it's not against the rules. I would suggest CO's include it in the cache description if they don't want photos posted that may give away details.

Newbies newbies newbies! Dang newbies are ruining this game! :unsure:

We are not mind readers if you do not want pictures then say so!

I never look at the pics before I look for a cache so I do not risk spoiling it>

Its not rocket science.

every cache owner is different and has different opinians I personally like photos of people enjoying my caches, but its down to personal choice.

I figure anyone who doesn't want a spoiler won't check previous logs and photos anyway so I don't see the big deal.

Well, I can see your points, but I still disagree. Post pictures of the area... post pictures of other amazing sights you spotted along the way. Post pictures of your kids. Post pictures of the swag. But don't post pictures that will spoil the fun for others. People DO look at the galleries, even if you don't. Some do it to see if the cache is somewhere they'd like to go to. Some just do it because they like to. Spoilers in the gallery can accidentally ruin the challenge and the fun for others. Don't do it. Please.

I have posted pictures of caches before on the page. And in fact had one other cacher complain about it. Remember the CO could always email me and ask me to remove it, or delete it all together. It clearly states that logs and photos may contain spoilers...

But since I had the complaint I stopped doing it. I can see how it might ruin other fun, but still understand if people post pictures

I'm still a newbie so for what it's worth..

I do frequently photoraph the caches I find. Especially if the container or location were particularly interesting. The ones I really like, I post to a Facebook album. The rest stay in a folder on my computer and I use them as my screensaver.

I've only hidden two caches so far but, I don't think I would like pictures that give away the location of a cache to be posted in a log.

I'm basically a newbie myself (150 finds), and I've only posted a few pictures of cache containers. The main reason I've done this is when I've been out with a few friends and we grab a find together--kind of showing the spirit of spreading Geocaching along with an actual find. :D

I don't look at pictures unless I want to be spoiled. As others have said, each and every cache page warns you that pictures might include spoilers. With that said, any picture I take of a cache container or cache location, I title the picture "SPOILER!" so that people get the idea before they see it. :D