I am an idiot

lachupa

There is a cache about 7 miles from my house that is the oldest active cache in NC. There is a 10th anniversary party for it next month that I'm planning to attend. I wanted to find it before the party because even though part of this party seems to include going to the cache I didn't want it just handed to me.

It's a puzzle cache: http://coord.info/GC70

I don't even want to admit how long it took me to get the smack you in the face obvious answer to the puzzle.

But I did figure it out and decided to go for it this weekend despite the fact that it was in the upper 90's with 70% humidity out. So we go park in the spot suggested and head off towards the GZ. Instantly we were attacked by a swarm of ravenous mosquitoes. It was brutal. We tried to stick it out because it was supposed to be easy once you solved the puzzle but we couldn’t stand it and retreated.

I actually logged that.

What I did NOT log was that we went back out there coated with DEET. We even had the spray with us and reapplied during the hunt. The mosquitoes were just as bad and we could see and hear them teeming just searching for the one spot missed by the spray. One actually bit me on the cuticle of my thumb. My husband got bitten through his shorts. It was like walking in a little bubble inside a cloud of mosquitoes. We searched and search and still could not find the thing.

I tried to put it out of my mind. We’ll wait until someone else finds it just to make sure it’s there but come on the oldest cache in the state did NOT get muggled. It’s there we just FAILED miserably to find it.

Ok I admit it’s a thing now. I’m obsessed so today I waded through the entire log. Once upon a time it was a movable cache but when that wasn’t allowed anymore it nested where it is now. There were hints in there that made no sense to me. There was something about following a utility right-of-way and a warning that there was a barb wire low on the ground to watch out for. I didn’t see either of those two things.

Suddenly it hit me. I solved the puzzle but I didn’t properly READ THE CLUE. I punch the answer into the coordinates at the top of the page. Those were for the parking. I was supposed to punch the answer into the coordinates between the clue and the possible answers. All that time we were in the right longitude but wrong latitude.

We’re having dinner with my mother-in-law tonight. My husband is being unreasonable about this whole thing and saying that no we’re not going by there on the way to dinner and no we are not dragging his mom into the swamp to find a cache.

Some Eagle Scout he turned out to be.

I’m at work. I wonder if anyone would notice if I left, took the train to my car, went home, changed, found the cache, went back home, changed back into work clothes, drove to the train station, took the train back to work.

Sigh it’s going to be DAYS and DAYS until I get back out there.

Yea I have issues, we’ve established that but the point of all of this was that my life is a warning to others to READ THE CLUE.

That is all

I should copy/paste this whole diatribe into the log when I find it.

I tried to borrow my boss' car to head out there. He took the train too and the coworker I've dragged along on a couple of lunch caches took the bus.

Why all the sudden is everyone so into public transportation?!?

We're Americans. We're supposed to drive everywhere alone, in big SUV's, taking several cars if possible to the same location while texting. This is outrageous.

I’m at work. I wonder if anyone would notice if I left, took the train to my car, went home, changed, found the cache, went back home, changed back into work clothes, drove to the train station, took the train back to work.

I don't think they will notice, and nobody here will tell :laughing:

Good story. If it makes you feel any better I went looking for an easy one once. I entered the coords manually and set out. Parked at the obvious spot and set off on obvious trail for a short walk. Got to GZ and..... nothing. There were several likely trees, but no luck. I started looking for some tricky hide but still nothing. Gave up and went home, only to find out when I had entered the coordinates I was exactly one minute off. Doesn't sound like much, but a mile or so sure does change the scenery. The "obvious" parking and trail were just coincidence. So, I guess we are all idiots at one time or another. :laughing:

I'm so glad I snuck a minute to read a forum topic or two this afternoon. This made me chuckle! Thanks for the entertainment. If you are ever on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, please look me up. I'd love to spend a day caching with you. No public transportation.

That sounds awesome. Look me up if you're ever in Charlotte.

in other news

FOUND IT W00T: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...67-64842312d165

:unsure:

Now I can get on with my life, or more accurately onto the next obsession.

I'm so glad I snuck a minute to read a forum topic or two this afternoon. This made me chuckle! Thanks for the entertainment. If you are ever on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, please look me up. I'd love to spend a day caching with you. No public transportation.

That sounds awesome. Look me up if you're ever in Charlotte.

in other news

FOUND IT W00T: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...67-64842312d165

:unsure:

Now I can get on with my life, or more accurately onto the next obsession.

Glad to hear you found it! B)

Sigh it’s going to be DAYS and DAYS until I get back out there.

That is all

Do people hide caches on public transportation; buses, trolleys, boats, planes, trains?

Particularly, I think you might get away with micro or (what's smaller than a micro, I forget) smaller caches.

For example, hidden under a particular seat on a particular row?

Or in a bathroom, behind a toilet or under a sink?

I guess the problem is, flight numbers change. And I guess hiding it under a seat would be a bad idea, asking muggles to move.

Still, I'd like to hear if anyone has either tried it with success, or found one.