Returning cache to its original spot

We are brand new to GeoCaching and so far, really enjoy the adventure. We have planted several caches in our area and have been really good about maintaining them. However, it's a little frustrating when we go to maintain our cache and just find it laying on the ground, out in the open for anyone to see as they walk by. We do make our caches pretty easy to find. After all, we don't want folks to go away frustrated; theres no fun in that. I WANT folks to find the cache but if you find it, please return in the place you found it. By that I mean re-hide it. Make it fun for the next family out searching.

AND.... the guidelines say that a cache is to be put back where it is found. So if I find your cache in the middle of the path, out in the open, then that is where I'm supposed to put it when I'm done logging it. ;)

It's a catch 22 situation. If I were to put your cache back where I thought it should be then you would be complaining that I moved it. If I leave it on the path you're complaining that I should have hidden it. :)

there are critters out there that can and move caches when trying to get into them cause they smell good.. if it was a peanutbutter jar or the last hider was eating some crackers or something, a critter will move it just about every time if they are able.. and hungry..

coons, squirrels and some birds can be quite smart and strong.

So the take away is if a cache is in a situation that seems wrong (e.g. in the middle of the path) an email to the CO letting them know about it would be a grand idea.

Grape I have little kids who cache with me and they like the quick finds, thanks for putting out some ez ones.

And leave it in the middle of the path?

So the take away is if a cache is in a situation that seems wrong (e.g. in the middle of the path) an email to the CO letting them know about it would be a grand idea.

Grape I have little kids who cache with me and they like the quick finds, thanks for putting out some ez ones.

I knew someone would jump on that bit of hyperbole as if that were the real message. LOL

I knew someone would jump on that bit of hyperbole as if that were the real message. LOL

LOL Good one. LOL :ph34r:;):ph34r::):anicute:

The situation I was alluding to was a cache, film canister with attaching wire hook, at the base of a tree. After signing the log I put the cache back in the tree on a branch directly above where it was found. I was chastised here (in these forums) for not putting it back exactly where I found it, even though it was wrong and everybody knew it because of the hook.

The rational that was given was...... I didn't know exactly what branch, or how far out on the branch the canister was supposed to hang so I should have put it back on the ground at the base of the tree and then either post a NM or notify the CO that the cache has a problem.

So now that is what I do. If it's in the middle of a path.... then that's where it is supposed to be. Then I'll notify the CO and let them deal with it.

Another reason to do regular cache maintenance. If you own caches, go check on them at least monthly. Put them back where YOU wanted them if they are moved. Don't wait for something to show up in the logs about it being in the wrong place or running out of space on a log sheet, etc.

Case in point...I have a cache that I took over from someone else. I saw "found" logs on them and went to check on it the other day when I was out that way to refill some swag and check the log. My son and I looked all over for it and it was NOT where it originally was. I was going to fix up another container and take it out there. A couple of days ago, I got another "found" log. So now, I'm REALLY going to have to go expand my search and find out where it has migrated so I can put it back in its original location.

One other thing to consider...not everyone's GPSr is completely accurate down to a couple of feet. If you find a cache and your GPS is telling you that it should be 20-30' over, don't move it without checking with the CO first. One or the other of you could have been off the mark by quite a bit.

First off, thank you for being responsible owners.

Has the possibility of muggles slipped eveyone's mind? If you make your caches easy to find (I have young ones as well, they're appreciated sometimes) then it's very possible that they were found by non-cachers and just discarded when they weren't something neat. Just a thought...

The situation I was alluding to was a cache, film canister with attaching wire hook, at the base of a tree. After signing the log I put the cache back in the tree on a branch directly above where it was found. I was chastised here (in these forums) for not putting it back exactly where I found it, even though it was wrong and everybody knew it because of the hook.

The rational that was given was...... I didn't know exactly what branch, or how far out on the branch the canister was supposed to hang so I should have put it back on the ground at the base of the tree and then either post a NM or notify the CO that the cache has a problem.

So now that is what I do. If it's in the middle of a path.... then that's where it is supposed to be. Then I'll notify the CO and let them deal with it.

That's pretty petty and juvenille. There's a difference between leaving a micro at the base of the tree it obviously fell out of, maybe even covering it with a leaf, and leaving an ammo can in the middle of the trail instead of moving it off to the side and then contacting the CO. I'd be PO'd if you did that to one of my caches instead of moving it and then telling me where you put it. So much for helping each other out huh?

That's pretty petty and juvenille. There's a difference between leaving a micro at the base of the tree it obviously fell out of, maybe even covering it with a leaf, and leaving an ammo can in the middle of the trail instead of moving it off to the side and then contacting the CO. I'd be PO'd if you did that to one of my caches instead of moving it and then telling me where you put it. So much for helping each other out huh?

J... it may be petty but as was pointed out it is within the guidelines.

I agree with you, I'd put it someplace better and notify the CO, but the majority of respondents (at that time, which was just a few months ago) were quoting guidelines, "rules", and telling me that I had not done the right thing.

Funny, now I'm being chastised for "not helping others out". You can't have it both ways.... either play by the guidelines, which state that you put the cache back where you found it, or let's just ignore all the guidelines and do as we please. :laughing:

And BTW.... notice I did say I'd contact the CO. You seem to have skipped over that.

Edited by ngrrfan

J... it may be petty but as was pointed out it is within the guidelines.

I agree with you, I'd put it someplace better and notify the CO, but the majority of respondents (at that time, which was just a few months ago) were quoting guidelines, "rules", and telling me that I had not done the right thing.

Funny, now I'm being chastised for "not helping others out". You can't have it both ways.... either play by the guidelines, which state that you put the cache back where you found it, or let's just ignore all the guidelines and do as we please. :laughing:

And BTW.... notice I did say I'd contact the CO. You seem to have skipped over that.

I didn't see it as chastising, just calling somebody on their BS. I'm not a fan of people being intentionally difficult in order to prove a point, which is in essence what you're doing. I understand the frustration of trying to do the right thing and getting hollerred at, but to then take that frustration out on someone else is the childish part.

I did notice you said you would contact the CO (which is better than not, absolutely) but let me pitch a scenario at you. I work nights. You go and find my cache laying in the middle of the trail late one morning while I happen to be asleep. I wake up in the evening, go to work, check my email, and see that my ammo can is laying in the middle of the trail. I'm not going to be able to get to it for a couple days as it's the 2nd of my 4 days working and sleeping at screwy hours. By the time I get there, my ammo can is gone and there's a bunch of stuff scattered about the trail and surrounding areas. The whole thing could have been avoided if you had just moved the can behind a stump right off the side of the trail and then sent me a message with that info.

You're not wrong according to the guidelines in leaving it there, but that doesn't mean it isn't the wrong thing to do.

You're not wrong according to the guidelines in leaving it there, but that doesn't mean it isn't the wrong thing to do.

The real point is that the guidelines need to be changed so that this question really never comes up. :laughing:

Now as to how I play the game...... The present guidelines are wrong, I will put your cache in a better/safer place if I find it totally exposed and let you know. We are on the same side. :huh:

Yes I know what you mean. Lately if I make a new cache I try to make it people proof if I can. I always tell them on cache page to please leave as you found. Most do. Some try to improve my hide. I have one cache that all that is visible is something only 1/2 in diameter. When you find it you have found cache. sometime people find it then cover up what I had visible with a small rock. Now the difficulty just went way up if they find it at all. So yes people pay attention and leave as you found so the next person can enjoy it also.

I have found its much better to make your cache as idiot proof as possible, secure it on several levels if you can. I have rigged my caches in several different ways, and i still find them messed up when i get there, but lately i have been improving my aim so to speak.

I am making them idiot proof, especially the hanging ones, so you have to unfasten something to get ahold of it. and im sure there will still be some freak of nature that destroys this method, but it makes it last a little longer.

hooks, carabeiners, or d rings, velcro and duct tape are your friends.

there are critters out there that can and move caches when trying to get into them cause they smell good.. if it was a peanutbutter jar or the last hider was eating some crackers or something, a critter will move it just about every time if they are able.. and hungry..

coons, squirrels and some birds can be quite smart and strong.

Lizards too!

What about caches which you've previously found and you *know* where the real hiding place is? But walk past and find it's not in the correct place?

I found a similar one with a nano a couple of days ago, but I couldn't put it back where it was supposed to be since the magnet seems to have failed / gone missing.

We recently found a cache that I'm sure was in it's correct spot, in a stone wall of sorts, but unfortunately that spot now had a large hornet's nest less than a foot away from it, in the same stone wall. If you weren't careful, you could easily stick your hand in the nest. On top of that, the hint referenced a trash can, which had been moved to a different spot along the wall probably about 10 feet from the cache location. We moved the cache away from the nest and closer to the trash can. And I made note of it in my log that I did this. I figured it's now in a safer place, and the hint now makes sense again. And with variations in GPSrs, I doubt it makes any real difference to other cachers.

Should I feel bad about this?

The real point is that the guidelines need to be changed so that this question really never comes up. :huh:

No... the real point is to be an adult and use some common sense!! :laughing:Nobody "hides" a cache on the trail! If you find a cache on the trail, that is not where it was hidden. It is in jeopardy of being muggled while sitting there. For Pet's sake, pick the danged thing up and hide it! Post a NM log when you get back if you think that it warrants it. This is a ridiculous argument. And if someone calls you out for doing what you think is best, deal with it.

What about caches which you've previously found and you *know* where the real hiding place is? But walk past and find it's not in the correct place?

I found a similar one with a nano a couple of days ago, but I couldn't put it back where it was supposed to be since the magnet seems to have failed / gone missing.

I've done this, but only with my friend's caches. I probably shouldn't have, but I did anyway. I'm actually thinking about going and checking on a friend's cache later on today as he just got a DNF on a fairly easy cache. Oh, and he also just moved and has no internet at the moment and I'll be in the area.