GeoWoodstock VIII

Had a great time at Geowoodstock, even though I was only 150 miles away we cached on the way up on Friday and came home on Sunday night gathered 270 caches 1 Wereigo, APE cache and got 8 types of caches in 1 day all in all a fun time. Just can't wait for the DeLorme PN-wSE to come out.

Scubasonic

I've got one more day to enjoy the Emerald City as I got 2 trips in one this time. I cached the area with my fellow Team CHB members from last Wed through Sunday night, when I traded up and picked up my wife at the airport while dropping the guys off.

We met up with Robert Lipe aka GPS Babe at our very first stop on the trip-the original stash plaque. I got several hugs from Ambrosia. :) I saw Keystone and Snoogans, and got to spend time with them. I met jholly very briefly as we passed on the steps near the Freemont Troll during the L&F event. I only got a quick passing hug/howareya? with hydenseek-we just cannot seem to connect for any quality time. I got to spend a few minutes with mtn-man, but not kit fox, nor bittsen or shop99er. :lol:

I've been to every GeoWoodstock since the second, and was kinda involved in #5. They just keep getting better every year. We've already started talking about next year.

Got back last night.

Finished logging all my finds a while ago.

Still to do all my discoveries.

Had a heckuva great time.

The mega event was kinda overboard for me, but I loved the Early Bird event, Going APE and Lost & Found.

This was Going APE:

goingape.jpg

I was Lost in Seattle, until I Found this* and followed it:

board.jpg

Met Snoogans:

snoogans.jpg

Snoogans was looking for this:

fridge.jpg

This was a Troll (note: with a capital 'T')

troll.jpg

This was GC12:

gc12.jpg

This was where it all began:

gc1.jpg

Lots of rain, though the events were largely spared (though it did pour a little on the way to the APE cache) left Washington with a sodden tent, which I dried out in Oregon (at Milo McIver State Park, a great place to camp, near the original stash!) and at Sims Flat in Northern California, while finding Sims' Big Brother, a GREAT cache adventure!

This was Shasta, from Sims' Big Brother:

shasta.jpg

*The log from the Early Bird - Meet & Greet

Pictures! Yayness :signalviolin:

13zpxc6.jpg

Mr and Mrs ihideNseek, Jeremy and me.

(Poor Jeremy, he probably got stopped every 20 feet to have someone take a picture)

1f8f2e.jpg

One of the train cars in the ravine at GCJYHZ

fo1635.jpg

'logbook' for the luau...

2efte9d.jpg

trail open to llamas (cuidado!) on our way to the APE cache...

kbupvs.jpg

Mr. ihideNseek, Mr. Nymphnsatyr and Mr. Muddy Frogs on the bridge on the way to the APE cache

246kjfb.jpg

Me by the giant ammo can at GW8

2z6hzih.jpg

My husband by the giant ammo can at GW8

Anyone know where to find the news on the internet? I didnt want to get to close to them so never noticed where they were from.

Here http://www.king5.com/news/local/GeoWoodstock-97742999.html

Go S.W.A.G members!!! Thanks for the link. I had heard that some friends of mine were interviewed by the news team. They are Darkstar and TxDiva (camo'd couple.....he has TB tattoo). They're from Arlington, Texas so it's cool to see someone I know that was there since I didn't get to attend...:signalviolin:

What?!?!? One of your highlights wasn't hugging me?!? Well, that's the last time I give you a break, buddy. :wacko:

I clearly remember the hug you gave me. :(

I'm still fantasizing. :signalviolin:

It was one of the highlights of my weekend, as was hugging Lil Devil. It seemed like every time I turned around I was giving someone a hug. I heard someone say that GeoWoodstock is like a family reunion but with the family we choose.

Snoogans was looking for this:

fridge.jpg

Dang it! Dang it! DANG IT!!!

I totally missed crossing paths with my fridge door. :laughing:

I'm totally stoked that it has made it to 3 GWs in a row though and more folks are putting their trackaples on it.

This was a Troll (note: with a capital 'T')

troll.jpg

I actually wasn't supposed to leave it there all day, but that worked out well and I had a blast on the mission to get it down to HQ after first getting a pic with the Lenin statue up the street. ;)

One other great thing I wanted to mention was that we signed up for the after GW CITO event, and there was literally not one scrap of trash that we could find. We saw other CITOers wandering the grounds with empty bags as we did... Geocachers are one CLEAN bunch of folks. It was really cool!

Not to mention everyone helped with the break down of the tables, chairs and tents...

The employees were trippin about THAT. None had ever seen such a thang.

Me and some of the Florida & N.C. cachers took turns picking up the same water bottle and taking pictures. :laughing:

Who could miss Snoogans

Well, you did. :laughing:

I never saw you at the big event or any event and I had a pic of you printed out and was showing it to people asking if they had seen you. ;)

2a098d7a-19ca-45f8-9ef0-0bc8320c478b.jpg

Online and real life are very separate things to me as many folks I've disagreed with can attest. Maybe next time. ;)

We had a great time at the event and all the events surround the big event. It was great to meet so many fellow cachers.

Now that friends are returning home, we're starting to compare notes, and the biggest question everyone has is "What was up with the parking fee?"

We talked with several people who were really turned off by it, especially since it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the cache page (except for VIPs, who got special VIP parking). From what I understand it seems that those who had a meal ticket didn't have to pay, and those who didn't, had to pay $5.

We had a great time at the event and all the events surround the big event. It was great to meet so many fellow cachers.

Now that friends are returning home, we're starting to compare notes, and the biggest question everyone has is "What was up with the parking fee?"

We talked with several people who were really turned off by it, especially since it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the cache page (except for VIPs, who got special VIP parking). From what I understand it seems that those who had a meal ticket didn't have to pay, and those who didn't, had to pay $5.

I was surprised by the parking fee, but fortunately I had hit the ATM in Fall City because I knew I'd be picking up a few souvenir geocoins and had the extra to cover it. I had a registration which included the meal, so that worked out well (just had to keep track of my literal 'meal ticket' up to that point.)

Had to get the APE coin, traded some Jelly Belly items to some jelly bean fans for a Canada coin, spent a lot of the time sitting around chatting with a variety of geocachers. If I wasn't planning on attending the CITO event I would have popped out early to hit the area caches - for me it's still about caching or doing something and I wasn't really doing much past 1 PM. I brought up a CITO geocoin to hand off at the CITO event and dsvaughn was gracious enough to take it on to the next CITO event.

I didn't get into the Paul Bunyan scavenger hunt, because I had so much paper in my goodie bag I didn't realise it was in there until pretty late - also didn't know where all those 'Find a cacher who ...' sheets were coming from until I found one in my bag, too, also kinda late.

Next time I'll examine all that stuff pronto so I don't miss out on the fun.

I love all the Geowoodstock events and this was no exception. Great job!

Here is a picture of the Elite Eight taking the past location sign up to the podium for the Geowoodstock IX announcement.

d31fb5d9-f348-4274-a9a9-ba69b8319f29.jpg

Edited by daggy

Daggy, that's 3/4 of the Elite Eight. The other quarter was smart enough to evade carrying stuff. :-)

Parking for an event the size of GWS is difficult. Even though we included the cost of parking in the registration for the GWS before this, it was something we had to explain what seemed like a few hundred times. Nobody's prepared to show their registration when they park, nobody wants congestion while they fish for it there, and nobody likes to be charged for it on the spot. It's one of those red flag items that gets marked from host to host with the hope that next host can solve it well. It's a surprisingly hard problem. (One of many when hosting something this size.)

Whimseyguy, nobody remembers that red halter.

That's a great shot, especially as it shows Mtn-Man really carrying his weight. :huh:

I can name the missing 1/4.

Robert, obviously someone else in here does. I don't recall saying it was red. :laughing:

And in an act of shameless promotion I want to give full credit for starting the directional sign tradition to my co-chair for GW5 Nittany Dave!

I never saw you at the big event or any event and I had a pic of you printed out and was showing it to people asking if they had seen you. :)

You just didn't look hard enough you were probably just spending to much time at Krispy Kreme.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Was a bit depressed getting back home, not so much missing traveling (which I really did), but I found myself in the middle of 500 caches I've already found. When in Washington and Oregon, everywhere were fresh caches I had yet to find. Gosh. I'm really missing that a lot right now.

I'll hide a cache for you next time I'm near Santa Cruz..... but you'll hafta maintain it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

Was a bit depressed getting back home, not so much missing traveling (which I really did), but I found myself in the middle of 500 caches I've already found. When in Washington and Oregon, everywhere were fresh caches I had yet to find. Gosh. I'm really missing that a lot right now.

I'll hide a cache for you next time I'm near Santa Cruz..... but you'll hafta maintain it. :rolleyes::lol:;)

And I'll reciprocate the honour, the next time I'm in Dixie. :rolleyes::D:)

My son and I had a great time at GW8. We got there early (6:15) to help setup.

Parking wasnt an issue. Was impressed with how many helped out, After the long

day many people stayed behind to clean and then load the truck. Thanks to all for

your efforts. I hope everyone had a chance to experience the Wherigo cache that

rambudo and I placed in Carnation.

Attended most all events leading up to GW and met many new friends. Highlight of

the long weeked was HQ event-WOOHOO said my son as we didnt have to work this

event. We were able to just have fun and wander.

I hope everyone has recovered from the long week.

See you on the trails.

Have fun, be safe and happy hunting

So... has the location of GWIX been announced?

Warren, PA and the Allegheny National Forest.

Good gravy! That's almost Canada!

If you're planning on coming, plan a couple of extra days to go up and visit Niagara Falls if you've never been there. It's worth the trip.

So... has the location of GWIX been announced?

Warren, PA and the Allegheny National Forest.

Good gravy! That's almost Canada!

If you're planning on coming, plan a couple of extra days to go up and visit Niagara Falls if you've never been there. It's worth the trip.

I spent a weekend treating myself to a 4 star hotel in Toronto some years back. Did visit the Ontario Science Centre and noodled around the west end of Lake Ontario (I certainly want to go back some week, or two) then drove to the Canadian Falls and pulled my bicycle out of the boot, to ride about, as there's much to see over a large area.

I suffered a pinch-flat (snake bite) while peddling around. My own fault, I was so dazzled by the sites I rolled over and into a grating. Still, if possible to take along a bike or rent one there, do so, it's a terrific place to tour on two wheels. Only mind the grates.