Bashed from both sides

I have placed around 130 caches. I don't just throw them down, but some are cash and dashes. Recently, someone who thinks that micros are ruining the sport went around and stole all of the micros in an area. Many of them were mine. I replaced a couple of them but they too were stolen. So I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing alot of recreational tree climbing. Now there are people complaining about having to use special equipment and that these caches shouldn't be attempted because they are dangerous.

If you don't like certain types of caches, just don't do them. Why bash folks with different strokes?

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.

I think most geocachers are decent people, but it only takes a small handful to cause trouble.

The troublemakers stealing the caches will probably run out of steam if the caches are being replaced. Try not to give them much attention - those sorts of people often get off on it.

As for the whiners, they're either n00bs, or just whiners who don't understand that the game is set up so people can choose the caches that fit their personal criteria. If you're giving them appropriate attributes, terrain, and difficulty ratings, then just ignore the whining.

I have placed around 130 caches. I don't just throw them down, but some are cash and dashes. Recently, someone who thinks that micros are ruining the sport went around and stole all of the micros in an area. Many of them were mine. I replaced a couple of them but they too were stolen. So I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing alot of recreational tree climbing. Now there are people complaining about having to use special equipment and that these caches shouldn't be attempted because they are dangerous.

If you don't like certain types of caches, just don't do them. Why bash folks with different strokes?

I'm a fellow New Yawker, so I'm somewhat familiar with the situation. I regularly look at the New York State page, and I wouldn't doubt I look at 90% of the new cache pages published in the State. Go ahead and look at the audit logs of your handful of Member Only caches, and I bet you'll see my name on there on the date of publishing. :o

So I've seen most, if not all of your cache pages. Mostly they are out of my notification range, but the ones in Warsaw are not, and yes, I remember getting about 10 consecutive archival notifications for them a week or two ago.

It looks like you've been around for about 14 months, and have placed 130 caches. I'd say well over 1/2 of them are roadside micros in rural areas. You also seem to have had a "rub-off effect" on many of the other cachers in the area. It's quite a large area, from say Warsaw down to Canisteo, and I wouldn't doubt 75% of the caches placed in this large rural area in the past year are roadside micros. And probably more caches in that area in the past year then in the combined 9 years of Geocaching previous. Personally, I'd never steal a cache, nor condone it. However, I can definitely see the potential for confrontation here with old-timer(s). Not much you can do but ignore their antics.

As far as people complaining about the 5 star tree climbing caches that require ropes and harnesses and the like, I'd say most active Geocachers have this strange need to find every cache placed in their area. I'm not one of these people, but like you say, you can't please everyone all the time. :o

To Jaspar Joe...

So you went from this:

It looks like you've been around for about 14 months, and have placed 130 caches. I'd say well over 1/2 of them are roadside micros in rural areas. You also seem to have had a "rub-off effect" on many of the other cachers in the area. It's quite a large area, from say Warsaw down to Canisteo, and I wouldn't doubt 75% of the caches placed in this large rural area in the past year are roadside micros. And probably more caches in that area in the past year then in the combined 9 years of Geocaching previous.

To this.

.... I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing alot of recreational tree climbing.

Did you not consider a compromise between an overabundance of road side micros and caches with the highest possible terrain rating? When you place caches that are at both ends of the spectrum, easy P&Gs and one end and caches which require special equipment at the other, it's not that unexpected that those that enjoy very easy or very difficult caches are going to be less than thrilled.

That said, I don't think you'll find anyone that will condone stealing caches, no matter what kind of cache it is.

To Jaspar Joe...

So you went from this:

It looks like you've been around for about 14 months, and have placed 130 caches. I'd say well over 1/2 of them are roadside micros in rural areas. You also seem to have had a "rub-off effect" on many of the other cachers in the area. It's quite a large area, from say Warsaw down to Canisteo, and I wouldn't doubt 75% of the caches placed in this large rural area in the past year are roadside micros. And probably more caches in that area in the past year then in the combined 9 years of Geocaching previous.

To this.

.... I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing alot of recreational tree climbing.

Did you not consider a compromise between an overabundance of road side micros and caches with the highest possible terrain rating? When you place caches that are at both ends of the spectrum, easy P&Gs and one end and caches which require special equipment at the other, it's not that unexpected that those that enjoy very easy or very difficult caches are going to be less than thrilled.

That said, I don't think you'll find anyone that will condone stealing caches, no matter what kind of cache it is.

Now I understand that these are not 1 star keyholder on guardrail hides, most of them would be what some would call "evil micros". But NYPaddleCacher brings up a good point, this is one extreme to another. Drop about 10 ammo cans in the hundreds of square miles of State Forests in that area, and I'm sure "they'll" be happy. :o

I think most geocachers are decent people, but it only takes a small handful to cause trouble.

The troublemakers stealing the caches will probably run out of steam if the caches are being replaced. Try not to give them much attention - those sorts of people often get off on it.

As for the whiners, they're either n00bs, or just whiners who don't understand that the game is set up so people can choose the caches that fit their personal criteria. If you're giving them appropriate attributes, terrain, and difficulty ratings, then just ignore the whining.

I agree.

Why bash folks with different strokes?

Because it's so much fun! Sheesh. Is this a rhetorical question? :):laughing:B)

Back to reality;

You hit the nail squarely on the head with your opening premise. You can't please everyone. This game is so incredibly diverse that, no matter what your least favorite hide style is, you will eventually find someone who loves it. Likewise, no matter what your most favorite hide style is, you'll find someone who whines about it.

In your case you opened yourself up to excess whining by your methods. You created caches using two types of hides which history shows generate lots of whining; The anti-micro crowd will, (hopefully), remain vociferous regarding their disdain for P&Gs. The entitlement junkies will cry foul every time someone places a cache that they can't reach. You didn't really think that you would eliminate the pesky mouth noises of the crybaby crowd simply by going from one extreme to the other, did you?

If your end game is to live a caching life free of whining, might I suggest a misquote by the computer Joshua, in the movie WarGames?

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about taking up knitting?"

Back to reality;

You hit the nail squarely on the head with your opening premise. You can't please everyone. This game is so incredibly diverse that, no matter what your least favorite hide style is, you will eventually find someone who loves it. Likewise, no matter what your most favorite hide style is, you'll find someone who whines about it.

In your case you opened yourself up to excess whining by your methods. You created caches using two types of hides which history shows generate lots of whining; The anti-micro crowd will, (hopefully), remain vociferous regarding their disdain for P&Gs. The entitlement junkies will cry foul every time someone places a cache that they can't reach. You didn't really think that you would eliminate the pesky mouth noises of the crybaby crowd simply by going from one extreme to the other, did you?

If your end game is to live a caching life free of whining, might I suggest a misquote by the computer Joshua, in the movie WarGames?

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about taking up knitting?"

Funny, I don't remember Joshua saying anything about knitting. :laughing: Don't make me spend a buck to rent that thing.

I have placed around 130 caches. I don't just throw them down, but some are cash and dashes. Recently, someone who thinks that micros are ruining the sport went around and stole all of the micros in an area. Many of them were mine. I replaced a couple of them but they too were stolen. So I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing a lot of recreational tree climbing. Now there are people complaining about having to use special equipment and that these caches shouldn't be attempted because they are dangerous.

What you did was an "I'll show them" tactic. An "Oh, so you don't like micros. See how you like climbing a tree to steal this micro" tactic. It's a tit-for-tat/retaliation move rather then a "make the best cache I can that appeals to the majority of cachers" move.

I'm a fellow New Yawker, so I'm somewhat familiar with the situation. I regularly look at the New York State page, and I wouldn't doubt I look at 90% of the new cache pages published in the State. Go ahead and look at the audit logs of your handful of Member Only caches, and I bet you'll see my name on there on the date of publishing. :mad:

So I've seen most, if not all of your cache pages. Mostly they are out of my notification range, but the ones in Warsaw are not, and yes, I remember getting about 10 consecutive archival notifications for them a week or two ago.

It looks like you've been around for about 14 months, and have placed 130 caches. I'd say well over 1/2 of them are roadside micros in rural areas. You also seem to have had a "rub-off effect" on many of the other cachers in the area. It's quite a large area, from say Warsaw down to Canisteo, and I wouldn't doubt 75% of the caches placed in this large rural area in the past year are roadside micros. And probably more caches in that area in the past year then in the combined 9 years of Geocaching previous. Personally, I'd never steal a cache, nor condone it. However, I can definitely see the potential for confrontation here with old-timer(s). Not much you can do but ignore their antics.

As far as people complaining about the 5 star tree climbing caches that require ropes and harnesses and the like, I'd say most active Geocachers have this strange need to find every cache placed in their area. I'm not one of these people, but like you say, you can't please everyone all the time. ;)

Yes that sometimes helps me. Make them Premium Members Only and keep an eye on the audit list. See who views the page right after you replaced them the most

That is some dirty stuff. I mean, I hate cheesy micro's, ones of which no creativity was used to place it, but its real low to go around and steal them.

I have an issue in my area with about 2 people specifically that have a tone of caches, more then you, and 90% of them are micros, and most are very poor. As well they do not maintain their caches when there is a problem. I will admit that the thought did cross my mind, but it wouldn't be right, and I wouldn't want some one to steal mine if they felt it was a poor hide.

I would hid a micro right out side your home, and keep an eye on it. Make the title and description something that stands out so it cannot be avoided. When you see the sticky fingered cacher lifting the cache, and making off with it, just walk out to him and ask him why he is doing it. I am sure it will end after that.

Others have mentioned the issue with a large number of easy caches. Some folks get used to being able to up their find counts in pretty good increments every day of caching. Now, you're slowing them down. I've long come to see geocaching as an opportunity for good adventure. There are a lot of creative folks out there and they give us a taste of what a really good cache can be. If one doesn't care about the social aspect or the collection aspect of geocaching, then they're likely to appreciate the adventure geocaching affords. These are the folks I admire and respect. Couldn't care less about someone who finds the double the number of caches in a day than what took us a year to find back when. Been there, done that in respect to simply finding one cache after the next. A major failure is not slowing to smell the roses. It's a shame really.

A cache up a tree? Bring it on! Gear required or no, it doesn't matter. A cache on the ground near a climbable tree is an opportunity wasted, IMHO.

I have placed around 130 caches. I don't just throw them down, but some are cash and dashes. Recently, someone who thinks that micros are ruining the sport went around and stole all of the micros in an area. Many of them were mine. I replaced a couple of them but they too were stolen. So I archived them and started placing some level 5 caches in trees as I have been doing a lot of recreational tree climbing. Now there are people complaining about having to use special equipment and that these caches shouldn't be attempted because they are dangerous.

What you did was an "I'll show them" tactic. An "Oh, so you don't like micros. See how you like climbing a tree to steal this micro" tactic. It's a tit-for-tat/retaliation move rather then a "make the best cache I can that appeals to the majority of cachers" move.

I really don't see it as him doing an "I'll show them" tactic. Recreational tree climbing is a hobby he enjoys and is working it into caching.

If he labels them a 5 terrain I don't see a problem.

I think there needs to be a balance between a "make the best cache I can that appeals to the majority of cachers" and something the CO enjoys placing.

Back to reality;

I think I rest in the "entitlement junkies" crowd. :laughing: (JK)

Finally, someone who can talk about something I can relate to. It ussually turns out that caches that I place and dislike get the most favorites and good comments. And my favorite caches get no favorites at all and get neutral comments.

YES! I totally agree J.J! I mean why just not do them! I like your caches a lot! Ive done like 5.

This is a great forum.

Oh, it's an awesome forum!! Except I don't think Jasper Joe has been on here since he posted that a year ago. I remember he only had problems in one town, and everything is fine now.

To Jaspar Joe...

So you went from this:

To this.

Now I understand that these are not 1 star keyholder on guardrail hides, most of them would be what some would call "evil micros". But NYPaddleCacher brings up a good point, this is one extreme to another. Drop about 10 ammo cans in the hundreds of square miles of State Forests in that area, and I'm sure "they'll" be happy. :o

Sure but will you be happy when someone steals the ammo cans. 10x $10-$15 adds up and it seems like ammo cans that are not part of puzzle caches have a short life span.

To Jaspar Joe...

So you went from this:

To this.

Sure but will you be happy when someone steals the ammo cans. 10x $10-$15 adds up and it seems like ammo cans that are not part of puzzle caches have a short life span.

If there's someone out in your area stealing ammo cans, try lock n lock containers instead. I don't ever recall hearing about a rash of lock n lock thieves in an area.

Hmmmmmmmm,

Sounds like some folks jumped off the Power Trail Bashing Bandwagon to give you a few lumps.

Your second to the last sentence caused a lot of hostility in the past during the Power Trail Controversies soooooooooooo prepare your Nomex suit.

I happen to agree with your final two sentences ...

I'm fairly new to this hobby (although it's becoming an addiction!) and it really bugs me when I read about stuff like this. It may seem like a totally different scenario but it's like if your flicking through the TV, you don't watch stuff that you don't like the look of; same with caches. If you don't like nano's / micros then don't go find them, do the larger traditional ones; simple. I've been attempting a nano for a few weeks now and still can't find it, it's all part of the fun!

I'm personally not a big fan of nanos but that's a biased opinion because most of my DNF's have been them. That doesn't mean i'm going to go and remove them to spoil everyone else's fun. Some people need to grow up and remember it's just a game!

Edited by Stoka

make them PMO. that makes the thieves have to pony up for their agendas.

To Jaspar Joe...

So you went from this:

To this.

the best way to stop ammo box thefts are to use letter punches to mark them.

Sorry to revive a "necro-thread", but I feel the need to weigh in on this. I'm new to geocaching and I live in an area where Jasper Joe hid quite a few caches. I really appreciate that they weren't all 5/5 because I'm still learning and, frankly, I have no wish to climb trees, cliffs or anything like that. I can say that if I catch someone stealing a cache because they think it's "too easy" - or for any other reason - they're going to have a very bad day!

Sorry to revive a "necro-thread", but I feel the need to weigh in on this. I'm new to geocaching and I live in an area where Jasper Joe hid quite a few caches. I really appreciate that they weren't all 5/5 because I'm still learning and, frankly, I have no wish to climb trees, cliffs or anything like that. I can say that if I catch someone stealing a cache because they think it's "too easy" - or for any other reason - they're going to have a very bad day!

Never heard of a necro thread, but I suppose that works. :lol: I'll turn it into a local thread, only caches in Warsaw were stolen. Someone in Warsaw, NY, population 5,000, didn't like his micros in like 2009. :) So don't worry, you're not going to see anyone stealing any caches.

He did indeed ruffle some feathers in 2008 and 2009 with dozens and dozens of mostly roadside micro placements in a very widespread rural area with tens of thousands of acres of State and County forests. Not with me of course, I'm from the immediate Buffalo suburbs, but close enough to know about it. He hasn't placed a cache since 2010, although I see he still goes out on occasion and finds some, but not in 2013.

Welcome to the game though! We're close enough that we might meet up at an event some day.

So don't worry, you're not going to see anyone stealing any caches.

Unless they belong to TheWhiteUrkeler, Mr.Yuck. I'm gonna go out and take all his caches and replace them with leaky film cans and gasketless blinkies. :P

Oh yeah? I'm going to steal some of your 1,000 or so oh, never mind. :blink:

EDIT: 861 to be exact.

For JeffK, who I assume will come back to the thread, I can see where the topic starter was going with "bashed from both sides". Yes, he had a ton of easy close to parking micros, and probably didn't even know there were "critics" until after he was 50 or more in. So I'd say climbing 40 feet up trees was the other extreme. I think the critics were probably talking about 1/2 mile hikes to ammo boxes under piles of sticks in Letchworth, or something. Which too are "easy to find". :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck