Killer BBQ Thread

Will the trail be long and slow?

I might be interested in Kansas City (KS or MO). About an 8 hour drive for me, and classic BBQ (not to mention Mingo)

I thought of Mingo as well. I just checked Google maps and it looks like it's about 5 1/2 hours from KC. After a northerly route into SD it might be a little out of the way. Of course, it could also mean that some might be interested in extending the trip a couple of days and going into OK as well. BTW, I know a cacher in KC that used to live in our area as was very active in the local geocaching community. I'm sure they'd want to hear about any plans, and knowing them as I do, they'd probably host a welcoming event.

I've participated in the American Royal BBQ cookoff in KC and they make a fair 'cue. However, an an NC native, I have to say that no BBQ challenge can be complete without representing the Old North State and it's heavenly hog...

Totally different styles of BBQ. As is Texas BBQ, St. Louis BBQ, and so on. Apples and oranges, all good!

I've participated in the American Royal BBQ cookoff in KC and they make a fair 'cue. However, an an NC native, I have to say that no BBQ challenge can be complete without representing the Old North State and it's heavenly hog...

Northern NC BBQ or Southern NC BBQ?

Any Carolina style would be great. Currently living in Texas, I am soooooooooo good BBQ deprived.

A big BBQ event would be fun.

OK... OK... that does it. I thought that I had a fairly good grasp on regional BBQ difference. But Northern NC vs Southern NC? I've lost it. :lol:

OK... OK... that does it. I thought that I had a fairly good grasp on regional BBQ difference. But Northern NC vs Southern NC? I've lost it. :lol:

First-there isn't any SC BBQ worthy of the discussion.

Second-the NC debate is Eastern style using whole hogs with a vinegar and red pepper sauce vs. Western style that usually just uses the shoulder and adds a little tomato product to the sauce. Both are outstanding.

The NC BBQ Festival takes place in Lexington NC every fall. There are dozens of caches in town as well. (keeping it on topic and real)

And at the risk of going completely off geocaching topic and bordering on the sacrilegious, I'll also point out that there is a BBQ Joint Waymarking thread with almost 400 entries.

First-there isn't any SC BBQ worthy of the discussion.

Second-the NC debate is Eastern style using whole hogs with a vinegar and red pepper sauce vs. Western style that usually just uses the shoulder and adds a little tomato product to the sauce. Both are outstanding.

The NC BBQ Festival takes place in Lexington NC every fall. There are dozens of caches in town as well. (keeping it on topic and real)

And at the risk of going completely off geocaching topic and bordering on the sacrilegious, I'll also point out that there is a BBQ Joint Waymarking thread with almost 400 entries.

Oh Oh,

You had better duck because I think flaming arrows might be headed your way.

Duuuuuuck quick. LOL

BBQ sounds good. I need some good chipped mutton, but I'm too far North for that. I can't even recommend my favorite place anymore because it burned down and was rebuilt under slightly different ownership and just isn't the same.

In/near Owensboro by chance?

Not too far from there... Waverly. I do like Moonlite's BBQ ham, though.

Doesn't anything ever happen in Montana? Sheesh!

Hmmmmmmmm,

Is there good Que and are there caches????

Of course we have Caches!!!

"There's good flyfishing in Montana."

Not as good as a BBQ

"What happens in Montana stays in Montana!"

Then let's have a mega event in Montana and then we won't tell anyone..he he he

Edited by leejas72

I might be interested in Kansas City (KS or MO). About an 8 hour drive for me, and classic BBQ (not to mention Mingo)

I thought of Mingo as well. I just checked Google maps and it looks like it's about 5 1/2 hours from KC. After a northerly route into SD it might be a little out of the way. Of course, it could also mean that some might be interested in extending the trip a couple of days and going into OK as well. BTW, I know a cacher in KC that used to live in our area as was very active in the local geocaching community. I'm sure they'd want to hear about any plans, and knowing them as I do, they'd probably host a welcoming event.

Would that be Woodland Clan? He's from New York.

Would that be Woodland Clan? He's from New York.

Yep. I think Rob was my FTFTF (First to Face to Face). I've gone caching with him and rest of the Clan a few times when they lived here.