Tread Lightly

Tread Lightly as I've known it to be an organization that helps advocate off-road enthusiasts.

Tread Lightly!® is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to promote responsible outdoor recreation through ethics education and stewardship. The organization was launched in 1985 by the US Forest Service, and became a nonprofit organization in 1990.

Tread Lightly!’s educational message, along with its training and restoration initiatives are strategically designed to instill an ethic of responsibility in a wide variety of outdoor enthusiasts and the industries that serve them. The program’s goal is to balance the needs of the people who enjoy outdoor recreation with our need to maintain a healthy environment. Tread Lightly!’s core focus is on people that use or are affected by motorized and mechanized vehicles. The organization offers unique programs and services to help remedy growing recreation issues. Unique enough, the federal government officially recognizes the organization as a sole-source service provider of education and training on how to be environmentally and socially responsible while using motorized and mechanized vehicles in the outdoors.

As an avid "off-roader" I've always been for this organization. I've noticed that they have added a section for "Responsible Geocaching". It's sad that geocaching is starting to get a bad reputation with extreme environmentalists, and this organization has to advocate "Responsible Geocaching". Most of the geocachers I've come across lean more to the "greener" side than I do.

It's also sad that my girlfriend's cousin works for a National Park in California. One of his jobs is to specifically find geocaches and "muggle" them.

It looks like the bad (another "bomb squad" geocache in the news) is getting more recognition, then most geocachers doing CITO. It's the same thing in the off road community. 5% of people spinning tires in a mud hole gets the focus than the other 95% of off road enthusiasts doing volunteer trial restoration and "Wheel In Pack Out".

Just thought I'd point that out.

Edited by gustav129

Bad news is news. Good news is nothing. Most of the time bad news is what pays the reporters wages, etc.

EDIT: Extremists are extremists no matter the cause. Extremists usually cause more damage than those they are extreme against! Nature of the beast. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

It's also sad that my girlfriend's cousin works for a National Park in California. One of his jobs is to specifically find geocaches and "muggle" them.

I doubt she has much to do in that regard. As far as I know, no National Parks in California specifically allow Geocaches and, as a result, none get published on this site. Perhaps the other geocaching websites have let a few get through. I'd be interested to hear more details.

I dont know about National Parks in California, but I do know that Griffith Park in Los Angeles is allowing me to place one. I contacted the Rangers of the park, and specifically asked them about it. All they requested is that I let them know where it is. I told them I would go further, and not only give them the exact coordinates, but also take pictures of the cache, and what is going in it. That way if anything is wrong they can contact me and let me know. I do know that there are many caches placed in park lands here in California, and that they are on this site. In fact I just looked at one National Park here in California, and I see not only virtual and earth caches, but also small traditional caches. So I dont know about the whole my job is to go and muggle caches thing.

Edit:

I just checked Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Forests. They have a ton of caches of all kinds placed all over them. Now if it was against the National Parks rules then GS would not let them be published I would think. Dont mean to say that your GF's Cousin is lying, but the facts would seem to show that maybe he is just talking out his @ss.

Edited by ihorn

I think the info on the Tread Lightly website is good news. Theres some great advice, tips, suggestions to help get new cachers started in the game if they are interested. The info is very informative and helpful. None of it was accusatory against geocaching. The only part that even came close to accusatory was: “Unwanted tire tracks, damaged vegetation and disrupted wildlife can be harsh consequences of irresponsible geocaching,” I'd say this is entirely accurate and people behaving this way should be notified that their behavior is not appropriate. Additionally, these are things new cachers who've never gone outdoors should know before they walk in the forest and drop a cache somewhere.

Most of the info is the same info you'd get from any outdoorsy website under a "Responsible Outdoor Ettiquette" heading. If an outdoors website had a section for "Responsible Hiking", I wouldn't think that would suggest that they feel hikers, in general, are irresponsible.

It's the same thing in the off road community. 5% of people spinning tires in a mud hole gets the focus than the other 95% of off road enthusiasts doing volunteer trial restoration and "Wheel In Pack Out".

It's the same thing with the snowmobiling community. We never notice the ones who snowmobile nicely around the fields, but we DO notice the ones that zoom around as fast as they can around our yard when we're trying to play outside, and the ones who slash our snow fence... you're going to get you're some small percent of idiots in any sport or game, and they'll be the only ones getting (inter)national attention. The good ones will get commended, but usually it looks more like a newspaper article about "this is the only person who's actually nice and a motorcyclist"

I just checked Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Forests. They have a ton of caches of all kinds placed all over them. Now if it was against the National Parks rules then GS would not let them be published I would think. Dont mean to say that your GF's Cousin is lying, but the facts would seem to show that maybe he is just talking out his @ss.

National Forests are OK (for a lot of activities, not just caching), National Parks are not...

My friend/caching partner and I are heading out to Yellowstone this late summer (our first vacation ever). I knew we would likely not find any traditional caches in the park however I noticed a TON of earth caches and virtual caches there (which we intend to use as we tour around). So my question is are exceptions to the national park situation made for earthcaches?

My friend/caching partner and I are heading out to Yellowstone this late summer (our first vacation ever). I knew we would likely not find any traditional caches in the park however I noticed a TON of earth caches and virtual caches there (which we intend to use as we tour around). So my question is are exceptions to the national park situation made for earthcaches?

Basically, yes. National Parks do not want a physical cache placed within the park. Caches without containers have been allowed.

I knew we would likely not find any traditional caches in the park

There is a "traditional" geocache in Yellowstone: Alone but not Solitary. It's listed as a traditional but there is no container, just a NPS logbook that you sign to claim the cache. The logbook is right next to the Lone Star geyser and if you are lucky, you'll get to see it erupt. I would consider this cache a must-do during your visit.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll put that on our list of ones to check out. We're analyzing traditionals in that general area because we have a few travel bugs with the owners' blessings to place out in that part of the country. But I am super excited about the earth caches out there.

Back on topic, we have national forests around here and for the most part people are really careful about permission with the national forest caches. My understanding that for some of them part of the maintenance is removing them in winter.

National Forests are OK (for a lot of activities, not just caching), National Parks are not...

I have actually checked, and right next to Yellowstone National Park in Grand Teton National Park there are quite a few physical caches that are placed.

Here are some examples

GCXJ6K

GC13B69

and also

GCKK97

I think these go to show that they are allowed not just in National Forests, but also in National Parks. Not trying to be mean, just trying to give factual information.

I've found most of the caches in Yosemite and as far as I can recall there are no traditional caches. Only earthcaches, virtuals and virtual multis. All the virtuals are old since no new ones can be created. I think you'll find the same thing is true in Kings Canyon and Sequoia. If you use the topo maps on GC.com you'll find that all the traditionals are outside the boundaries of the parks.

I have actually checked, and right next to Yellowstone National Park in Grand Teton National Park there are quite a few physical caches that are placed.

Here are some examples

GCXJ6K

GC13B69

and also

GCKK97

I think these go to show that they are allowed not just in National Forests, but also in National Parks. Not trying to be mean, just trying to give factual information.

I think you're incorrect. The GC.com maps show those as being in Targhee National Forest.

Here are some examples

GCXJ6K

GC13B69

and also

GCKK97

I think you're incorrect. The GC.com maps show those as being in Targhee National Forest.

I am wrong. You are right. When I zoom out it doesnt show Targhee National Forest. GC.com needs to learn to mark things more accurately.

Edited by ihorn

Often, National Parks are more built up, have a regular maintenance department, do not allow harvesting of resources, and encourage tourism to the attraction they are built around. A National Forest can include private lands, can be leased to individuals or companies for the harvesting of resources, and is patrolled less formally.

Edit to add: National Parks are managed by the National Parks Service. National Forests are considered more a resource and are managed by the USDA.

Edited by Trucker Lee

Ah. Off-Road enthusiasts... Don't get me started... Treading lightly is the way to go! Know where you are legally permitted to use your off-road vehicle. And only use it where you are permitted to.

Sorry, I maintained a trail for fifteen years. ORVs not permitted in that part of the State Park. "Oh. I didn't know this was part of the state park." Umm... All land belongs to someone. You need permission to ride an ORV anywhere. You should know where you are! They can do considerable damage. Even bicycles are prohibited on that trail. It's a protected, environmentally sensitive area.

I am very glad to see that you are part of a responsible group. I wish more were.

Here are some examples

GCXJ6K

GC13B69

and also

GCKK97

I am wrong. You are right. When I zoom out it doesnt show Targhee National Forest. GC.com needs to learn to mark things more accurately.

GC.com doesn't create those maps. Those maps are created by Google.

When you find cache listings which seem to violate any of the guidelines you should be aware that for some guidelines caches placed before a guideline was put into place may be "grandfathered". No new virtual caches are allowed but there are lots of virtual caches that were placed before the rule was changed. In cases where grandfathered caches are not allowed, all you are doing by highlighting them is increasing the chance that they'll be archived.

I doubt she has much to do in that regard. As far as I know, no National Parks in California specifically allow Geocaches and, as a result, none get published on this site. Perhaps the other geocaching websites have let a few get through. I'd be interested to hear more details.

They were probably busier a few years ago, when the NPS in our area removed the grandfathered traditional caches on the land that they manage. Some of those were on my favorites list. A handful (or less) escaped one way or the other, but that is another story. Although no new virtuals are allowed by Groundspeak, the park service has been very supportive with earthcaches