Oh those Bloggers

Not surprising from the pacific northwest. Being from Northern California, I'm pretty familiar with these eco-nazis and they're BS. I'd love to sit down with this person and explain things to them face to face. Then I would go out and kick the tires on their big SUV and throw their cell phone into the river. Tell 'em the crawdads had to make a call.

That would be hilarious.

This has been going on darn near as long as geocaching. Forget even trying to reason with people like that. They will never give up their righteous crusade, no matter how wrong they are. Fortunately, for the most part, these types usually have a short attention span.

Works both ways. Most times this subject comes up Geocachers deny vehemently having ever caused any damage.

I think you're mistaken. In my experience, we try not to cause damage. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say "I never left a mark!" In making an effort to leave things as close as possible to how they were found (and regularly in better shape if you CITO), we are doing our part. Of course there are cachers who don't pay any attention to their surroundings and make no effort to keep things the way they should be. They are the minority, and most of them are staying in the urban areas chasing LPCs and other hides on or near pavement. Those of us who venture into the "wild" are there because we like it.

Have I broken tree branches? Yup. Have I squashed mushrooms? Yup. Will I do both again? Probably. Is it intentional? No way.

I think you're mistaken. In my experience, we try not to cause damage. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say "I never left a mark!" In making an effort to leave things as close as possible to how they were found (and regularly in better shape if you CITO), we are doing our part. Of course there are cachers who don't pay any attention to their surroundings and make no effort to keep things the way they should be. They are the minority, and most of them are staying in the urban areas chasing LPCs and other hides on or near pavement. Those of us who venture into the "wild" are there because we like it.

Have I broken tree branches? Yup. Have I squashed mushrooms? Yup. Will I do both again? Probably. Is it intentional? No way.

Nope not mistaken. Take a few minutes to search the forums for previous topics like this.

Ignore them. They're just looking for attention, and admit as much.

This blog now has garnered the attention hoped for. Those that don't like it are going to pass the word along. Negative comments don't bother us and won't stop the cleansing process. Name calling comments will be deleted. Spread the word to Geocaching friends that there are those willing to find these things and throw them away.

If you're in the area, set your caches to PM-only (unless, like our "friend" in Utica/Rome, they're spending money in their quest), and don't give them the satisfaction of knowing they're getting to you.

They're no better than PETA or MADD.

I just heard about these eco-nazis today. I'm from Whidbey Island and went caching today in a nearby town and saw this flyer on a kiosk at Sharpe Park in Anacortes, WA. They must have left the geocaches in the park alone, since I still found a few but still...I don't see how removing caches (especially if they have been approved to be placed in the parks by the park ranger) is going to "save the forest". There are plenty of animals out there that trample on plants and make their own trails. Beavers cut down trees and dam up streams. Does that mean they should be destroyed too? :unsure:

I would suggest to anyone who has caches in this area to temporarily set them as "members only" caches.

59f4c14a-5c42-4e5b-833e-4a018a070f46.jpg

<sarcasm>Well... I hope they printed that on recycled paper with Soybean based ink. And that they plugged their printer into an alternative energy source. </sarcasm>

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Not surprising from the pacific northwest. Being from Northern California, I'm pretty familiar with these eco-nazis and they're BS. I'd love to sit down with this person and explain things to them face to face. Then I would go out and kick the tires on their big SUV and throw their cell phone into the river. Tell 'em the crawdads had to make a call.

That would be hilarious.

Ah yes, Northern California. I'll admit something here. When I was in college (alumni of Humboldt State in Arcata, CA) I went through a period of being an Earth Firster. I thought we were going to protect natural resources and do good in our community (I was 17-18, boy was I naive).

I am sure that there are some Earth Firsters out there who really do some good things, but honestly, the group I was involved with were some of the angriest, narrow-minded, one-sided people I ever met.

They just wanted someone to be angry at in the name of "the environment." This meant that they boycotted the GAP because someone who had stock in a logging company had stock also in the GAP.

I found it extremely hypocritical that one person's way of protesting logging was to steal chainsaws and throw them in a creek. :unsure:

I still consider myself to be an environmentalist; but I'm realistic. The person pulling these caches is off their rocker.

I just heard about these eco-nazis today. I'm from Whidbey Island and went caching today in a nearby town and saw this flyer on a kiosk at Sharpe Park in Anacortes, WA. They must have left the geocaches in the park alone, since I still found a few but still...I don't see how removing caches (especially if they have been approved to be placed in the parks by the park ranger) is going to "save the forest". There are plenty of animals out there that trample on plants and make their own trails. Beavers cut down trees and dam up streams. Does that mean they should be destroyed too? :unsure:

I would suggest to anyone who has caches in this area to temporarily set them as "members only" caches.

59f4c14a-5c42-4e5b-833e-4a018a070f46.jpg

I hope you took the sign down!

What I'm doing and I hope others do as well is to report the blogger to the Blog managing site for hatred and violence. Let's bog down the blogger!

Excellent idea. I plan to do it daily. Perhaps if more join in the blog site will be tired of dealing with it and shut down the blog.

I also think the hand belongs to a woman. They hunted the cache with the express intention of stealing it.

I'm with the "replace it and make it PM only" crew. Or.......place some micros/nanos/other caches (mushrooms maybe?) in their preferred "cleansing ground" and see how much success they have then. (With some sort of code that means we won't go looking for them!) This cache maggot obviously has way too much time on her hands. And probably not many friends.

Haven't got to the hatred and violence part of the blog yet, but when I do - I shall also report.

If you look at her (I think it's a she) blog, there is a link on the top bar to "Report Abuse." Just keep following the screens.

If "she" can appoint herself a "forest defender," I can decide that her bragging about mischief and vandalism constitutes "hate speech."

If you look at her (I think it's a she) blog, there is a link on the top bar to "Report Abuse." Just keep following the screens.

If "she" can appoint herself a "forest defender," I can decide that her bragging about mischief and vandalism constitutes "hate speech."

I'll be headed out there to visit my sister in Aug. ... Maybe if someone can find out were she lives I can drop a night cache on her door step ;) Just kidding. I came acrossed a muggled stach this past weekend! I had to stop and think of what type of person would take a cache ... After reading this topic, now I know. :unsure:

I notice "they" didn't have the guts to be honest with the Park Ranger and state that they were removing geocaches/letterboxes in todays blog! They could have been placed there, with the permission of the professionals who know just how much that area can take. Also, what geocacher places Twix bars or full Pez containers in a cache? Can you say "set up?"

I notice "they" didn't have the guts to be honest with the Park Ranger and state that they were removing geocaches/letterboxes in todays blog! They could have been placed there, with the permission of the professionals who know just how much that area can take. Also, what geocacher places Twix bars or full Pez containers in a cache? Can you say "set up?"

I have seen a lot worse things left in a cache than a Twix bar or full Pez dispenser so I doubt that was a set up.

I still think this person is a loon.

It makes me wonder if anyone has reported him/her/maggot to the Park Ranger? If so, would the Ranger(s) be able to do anything about it?

One would think that if the cache placers had the permission from the Ranger that the park might not take too kindly to some self appointed enviro-superhero.

Edited by brslk

I also think the hand belongs to a woman. They hunted the cache with the express intention of stealing it.

I'm with the "replace it and make it PM only" crew. Or.......place some micros/nanos/other caches (mushrooms maybe?) in their preferred "cleansing ground" and see how much success they have then. (With some sort of code that means we won't go looking for them!) This cache maggot obviously has way too much time on her hands. And probably not many friends.

Haven't got to the hatred and violence part of the blog yet, but when I do - I shall also report.

She has enough money to buy a 60 GPS and burn petro to drive all over the Puget Sound destructing caches. She obviously has an account. What's to say its not a premium one?

What do you mean by "excuse to go off trail"?

Isn't he ranting about people who go off the marked trails for geocaching...now he gets to go off the trails to get all the pictures of his fungi, under the guise of "Collecting litter". If it were not for this crusade, he would have to stay on the trail, or be violating his own standards. Now he's given himself to violate his own standards.

"No one should ever travel to Cuba...to prove that, I'm going to travel to Cuba so I can show you why"

Oh yeah I see what you mean.

I've never been to Cuba but I'd really like to someday.

She has enough money to buy a 60 GPS and burn petro to drive all over the Puget Sound destructing caches. She obviously has an account. What's to say its not a premium one?

The Utica/Rome NY cache maggot had a premium account (or had access to one) for something like seven years. If you're loony enough to make this your cause in this way, what's another $30?

What is to keep someone from getting one of those really tiny cameras and placing it right by the cache and catching this idiot in the act?

Bushnell Trophy Cam Digital Trail Camera with Night Vision

5 Megapixels

Infrared Motion Sensor

Extended Battery Life

LED Night Vision Flash

Compact Design

SD Card Slot

Our Price :$ 199.00

Free Shipping (USA)

In Stock

599290.jpg

And what is to stop the miscreant from absconding with that at the same time they are acquiring used cache containers? Hell, they could even post picture of themselves saving the world one tupperware container at a time.

What I'm doing and I hope others do as well is to report the blogger to the Blog managing site for hatred and violence. Let's bog down the blogger!

Excellent idea. I plan to do it daily. Perhaps if more join in the blog site will be tired of dealing with it and shut down the blog.

I'm not sure about the hatred and violence angle, although it seems to be there... I think I'd be inclined to point out the theft and destruction claims... and that by allowing it the blog site could be considered a party to it...

On the other hand, the blog is a good indicator of what the blogger is up to! And evidence... perhaps simply requesting the blog site to investigate the blog and inform GS of the results would be best... THEY should know who it is (the blog site) since they allow the account... I don't know many places that are anonymous (at least as far as IP addresses go and other ID) it may be a 'community access' computer of course, but that is still identifiable. They are not likely to share that information of course, at least with the rank and file membership here.

Just thoughts...

Doug

Bonus kill with Whistler Gondola letterbox was the Geocach travel bug left in this letterbox by accident by a clueless Geocacher who took it out of a Geocache in this same park and put it in a letterbox. It's 9000 mile journey is now over.

What a nutcase!

Whistler Gondola: Placed by Creekdipper. Real name Natalie. An Enviromental Scientist and self described naturalist who was stationed on Whidbey Island while in the Navy between 2002 and 2007. Now living in Alabama. Stuffed under a downed madrona tree. Only two options for removing this box. Walk over sensitive moss and lichen on the left, or walk over a patch of wild Blue Bells on the right. This woman should have known better. Rates a 5.

Is looking up peoples real names and where they live considered abuse?

This is why I use my REAL name and location. I am very active on several fishing forums, and over time I found that it was best I didn't hide behind a nickname. Here I am, I am a lover of the great outdoors, I love to fish, I love to hunt, and my new found love for geocaching is fresh. I am a gun owner and teach my kids how to use them in a safe way. If you don't like how I live my life, come find me and show me different :D

I just can't believe someone has the nerve to blog about their wrong doings, and I also question how many nut cases read the blog and agree with them. I have to think there are way more good people in the world then there are bad people ... But as they say, "One bad apple can get tossed in the trash before it spoils the rest of the tree" Or something like that :P

This is why I use my REAL name and location. I am very active on several fishing forums, and over time I found that it was best I didn't hide behind a nickname. Here I am, I am a lover of the great outdoors, I love to fish, I love to hunt, and my new found love for geocaching is fresh. I am a gun owner and teach my kids how to use them in a safe way. If you don't like how I live my life, come find me and show me different :D

I just can't believe someone has the nerve to blog about their wrong doings, and I also question how many nut cases read the blog and agree with them. I have to think there are way more good people in the world then there are bad people ... But as they say, "One bad apple can get tossed in the trash before it spoils the rest of the tree" Or something like that :P

I don't think ANYONE agrees, the blog only has 1 follower, a 26 year old woman..... Now call me crazy, but there might be a connection between the 2

Actually in Washington state parks you can not place a cache without the express permission of the ranger and a signed permit. Groundspeak will not list a cache in the Washington state park unless the permission is expressly granted. So this eco-nazi is removing caches the rangers know about.

:D And to think I was getting all worked up over it! Someone should have said there was only two of them :P

Like I always say, "Remove Broom, Not Caches." I mean, I love the environment, but in my area broom is growing everywhere and oaks are dying. Then we have oil spreading into the Gulf, plastic trash covering a region the size of Texas out in the ocean, and climate change. Perhaps its easier to remove some letterboxes and geocaches than it is to think about these things.

But one or two people can create havoc in a region - as people around Rome, NY, experienced when Mr. Repak allegedly began taking caches in that area. Fortunately, the anti-caching groups I have seen have been few and far between -- and not particularly active. I can imagine individuals taking caches as they stumble upon them, or becoming obsessed with removing them as some sort of personal compulsion. But beyond that . . . . Alinsky once noted that people become organized and act through a sense of self-interest and developing a crusade to remove caches does not really fit into this. Its hard to believe that the forestdefenders of this world would ever attract that much of a following beyond the potential for a copycat or two.

Edited by Erickson

I find it funny that in recent posts to the blogsite, the blogger says "negative comments don't bother me" yet removes them, and blocks any further comments. :P

The worst part?? Why don't you come to Oklahoma and remove some of the lame caches in unremarkable areas, or take upon yourself to "cleanse" the fragile ecosystem of the local Wally World parking lot of these despicable cachers and their caches. Lamp posts are in danger!!!!

Seriously, this person is removing caches from what appears to be a wonderful place to visit. How many people would make a special trip to that location were it not for the lure of a cache?? Sadly, that is what the blogger seems to want. For no one but them, to enjoy the area. Whats the point of going to such great lengths to preserve the fragile ecosystem, if no one knows its there??

If you are truly concerned with the effects of humans on the planet and its splendor, and really sincerely wish to do something about it... why not slash your wrists, and eliminate one more person who is trampling the planet?? You would be doing the planet and its remaining inhabitants a favor!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

This is why I use my REAL name and location. I am very active on several fishing forums, and over time I found that it was best I didn't hide behind a nickname. Here I am, I am a lover of the great outdoors, I love to fish, I love to hunt, and my new found love for geocaching is fresh. I am a gun owner and teach my kids how to use them in a safe way. If you don't like how I live my life, come find me and show me different :)

I don't think ANYONE agrees, the blog only has 1 follower, a 26 year old woman..... Now call me crazy, but there might be a connection between the 2

No connection. The follower is a Geocacher, and poster to this thread. I've been doing some detective work, obviously. :D Thief is definitely a female with those fingernails, good catch who ever first noticed that. She appears to have much knowledge of both Geocaching and Letterboxing, for example using the term "what WAS Ground Zero" when referring to a cache, and giving detailed information about a Letterbox placer, including knowing that they host letterboxing events and give seminars on letterbox planting.

There's also this quote about a Geocaching TB left in a letterbox. "Bonus kill with Whistler Gondola letterbox was the Geocach travel bug left in this letterbox by accident by a clueless Geocacher who took it out of a Geocache in this same park and put it in a letterbox. It's 9000 mile journey is now over." I'm thinking this woman is both a Geocacher and Letterboxer gone rogue, for whatever reason.

There are four seperate blog posts right now. The letterboxers are getting the worst of it. It appears all 22 removals in the blog post "The Cleansing begins" were letterboxes.

EDIT: Sorry, I had that post an open window for like 1/2 hour before hitting enter, the one above me wasn't there.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

1. this particular blogger has no life outside of porn photos of mushrooms.

2. now, this particular area can have a new cache every 528 feet.

3. all those caches...should be disguised as mushrooms. after the 1,395 cache disguised like a mushroom with a big F-U log inside it, this person might get a hint....

as i told the woman at the grocery store yesterday when she asked "paper or plastic"...

which one harms the environment more?

the person hunting for a geocache...or the person hunting for fungus to take pictures of. :P

**oh...forgot to add, replace that sheet with one just for them.

Edited by BulldogBlitz

as i told the woman at the grocery store yesterday when she asked "paper or plastic"...

which one harms the environment more?

the person hunting for a geocache...or the person hunting for fungus to take pictures of. :P

Well if I lived in Louisiana right now I think I would opt that the plastic hurts the environment more.

Bonus kill with Whistler Gondola letterbox was the Geocach travel bug left in this letterbox by accident by a clueless Geocacher who took it out of a Geocache in this same park and put it in a letterbox. It's 9000 mile journey is now over.

That's really cold. :P Man I hope my TBs don't wind up in any cache close to this dweeb nozzle.

Edited by LincolnAdams

I think y'all are missing a terrific opportunity up there. If it were me, I'd hide a series of caches dedicated to her. The Forest Defender series!

Don't put any TB's in them, knowing they'll be muggled. But hide a bunch in the woods, name them after her, leave notes in each one thanking her for increasing the challenge and popularity of the geocaching in your area. Or telling her how far you drove in your SUV to get there.

And then make a whole sub-game out of seeing who can rush out and find them before she can. Wholesome fun for the whole family!

If you can't beat 'em, mess with 'em.

Is there any way to actually get in touch with this person and even attempt a dialog? Not that I think it would help, but at least to point out that when they romove the Cache and the next team says "I easily spent an hour searching for this cache" is when the real damage happens.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I think y'all are missing a terrific opportunity up there. If it were me, I'd hide a series of caches dedicated to her. The Forest Defender series!

Don't put any TB's in them, knowing they'll be muggled. But hide a bunch in the woods, name them after her, leave notes in each one thanking her for increasing the challenge and popularity of the geocaching in your area. Or telling her how far you drove in your SUV to get there.

And then make a whole sub-game out of seeing who can rush out and find them before she can. Wholesome fun for the whole family!

If you can't beat 'em, mess with 'em.

This is one of my favorite ideas by far :P

Is there any way to actually get in touch with this person and even attempt a dialog? Not that I think it would help, but at least to point out that when they romove the Cache and the next team says "I easily spent an hour searching for this cache" is when the real damage happens.

That's the bitch of it all. When a cache is removed, it only makes people look harder.

The single best thing to protect sensitive ecosystems is to make people want to protect sensitive ecosystems and the best way to do that is to get people to use them. I don't know the number of hikers in small regional parks out there who are in fact geocaching (2%?), but I bet the number of *kids* hiking in small regional parks is heavily disproportionate to whatever the number is. I started caching, in part, because I wanted my son to learn to like the outdoors. He goes through phases, but at 5, he's a pretty competent little hiker and has become a great observer of wildlife. He stopped me on the trail the other day to point out a tick walking across the trail.

Yet this forest defender thinks that environmentally-friendly citizens spring fully formed from the head of Zeus. They are made, by the dedication of their parents, and if geocaching isn't the best way to get the sub-10 year old set interesting in being on a hike, I haven't met its equal.

Great idea, AuntieWeasel!! Welcome back. Apparently they know about this in the Atlasquest.com (letterboxing site) forums as well. And now, compliments of me, with my top-secret letterboxing trail name, they also know it's a woman, and have a link to the long fingernail pic. By the way, when you read this (and I know you will), letterbox/Geocache stealing chick, you have some fat fingers there, girlfriend. :P

You know for a fact that this so called person has an account and is reading these forums. I don't know why they would turn off their comments section of the blog, seems pretty cowardly to me. You would think if they are so passionate about their cause they would want to voice that opinion and defend themselves. I know we are all reading this on a worldwide forum, but this person seems to be lacking what I call keyboard confidence. They hide behind their monitor and suck in all of the attention they can get no matter how they can get it. This person will give their opinions on their blog and allow nobody to counter that argument, or to shed more light on the subject. This causes even their followers to draw back due to lack of ability to agree or point/counterpoint the issues.

So, I dare the blogger to get out from behind their little bubble of confidence and defend their argument.

My caching blog is linked below, feel free to comment on my blog if you feel so inclined, I even have a chat you can join in!

Kevin & Ruth a.k.a. MuddyBottoms

Ripon, WI

I'm getting plenty of chuckles from this blog. I note with particular amusement (hey I am OCD I notice a lot of things ) they have changed the description in their profile to now read "WE" could be from your city/town... "WE"could be from your state..."WE" could be you. It formerly said "I". Seems like possible retribution paranoia is setting in! :D I find that hilarious!! Scared??? You probably have reason to be. Cachers can talk a pretty mean game.

legal disclaimer:

(This post is in no way intended to incite or encourage retribution against this person in any way.)