Which Provincial Parks Authorities allow Geocaching?

The Blue Quasar

Inspired by the ACGA posting about Nova Scotia and how they not only allow but endorse geocaching, and that there have been many other threads talking about caching being allowed in provincial parks across Canada, I thought maybe it was time to see where geocaching is allowed and not allowed. This might help provinces that are having trouble getting their PP's to allow it.

So, which Provincial Park managements have created policies that allow geocaching and which currently have banned the activity? If there is nothing official that would be good to know too. If there are links to these policies, having those would be excellent too.

Alberta

British Columbia

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

Nunavut

Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan

Yukon

:D BQ

I would think that the reviewers would be able to fill in most of that information.

Reviewers often are not the ones that worked with the various groups to get geocaching established. If you have something to contribute, please post whatever relevant information you have. Most reviewers also do not post in these forums.

:D BQ

BC Parks are geocaching friendly. Kudos to the BCGA for working with them and getting caches welcomed in the BC Parks.

Here is a PDF that explains the parks guidelines.

http://www.bcgeocaching.com/pdf/BC_Parks_G...hing_Policy.pdf

BC Parks also sponsored a geocaching adventure experience and even minted a geocoin for the caches that were placed back in 2008. Very cool!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/events/georush.html

Edited by mtn-man
BC Parks are geocaching friendly.

For heavily-travelled areas, maybe.

For wilderness areas, I'm afraid the inactivity-or-three-years rule will kill the whole game. (Caches have 3 years to live, max, or less if they're inactive.)

I plan to hike to a remote cache in a BCPP that hasn't been found for a while. What if a ranger yanks it for "inactivity" just before we get there?

I would think that the reviewers would be able to fill in most of that information.

Reviewers often are not the ones that worked with the various groups to get geocaching established. If you have something to contribute, please post whatever relevant information you have. Most reviewers also do not post in these forums.

:) BQ

I would think that reviewers have lists that they share of banned locations and I do know reviewers do post in these forums. Maybe some regional reps from different organizations could help.

At one time is was banned in Ontario parks, not sure what the status is now.

I think Niagara requires a permit as well as Hamilton conservation lands and Halton conservation lands.

Edited by Keith Watson

I would think that reviewers have lists that they share of banned locations and I do know reviewers do post in these forums. Maybe some regional reps from different organizations could help.

At one time is was banned in Ontario parks, not sure what the status is now.

I think Niagara requires a permit as well as Hamilton conservation lands and Halton conservation lands.

As far as I know Ontario Parks still has a ban on caches placed in Ontario Provincial Parks. Having said that, I'm also aware that individual park superintendents have been allowing caches in some of the parks anyway. I have an Earthcache in Forks of the Credit PP - with permission. Algonquin Park has had several caches published since the ban went into effect. Permission trumps everything is what I've been told in the past.

Best practice in Ontario is to call the park, and ask the superintendent for permission.

As for the regional authorities, you are correct Halton has a permit system, as does Hamilton and Niagara. In addition, Grand River Conservation Authority has recently setup a permit system and the Guelph Hiking Club is in the process of creating a geocaching policy (covers the Guelph Radial Line Trail, Speed River Trail and Eramosa River Trail) (sorry no URL just yet).

From what I am seeing in some other forums, it looks like Manitoba *allows* caches in their Provincial Parks, while Quebec bans them.

BC Parks are geocaching friendly.

For heavily-travelled areas, maybe.

For wilderness areas, I'm afraid the inactivity-or-three-years rule will kill the whole game. (Caches have 3 years to live, max, or less if they're inactive.)

I plan to hike to a remote cache in a BCPP that hasn't been found for a while. What if a ranger yanks it for "inactivity" just before we get there?

BC Parks wanted the 3 year rule in place so they had a clause to have a cache removed if necessary and so cachers would take a moment to ponder their cache hide location every now and then to ensure it was still 'well placed' and being visited. If it's not getting visited anymore, then that's a key time to take it out. The rangers are not going around taking out caches after 3 years and there are many historic caches that are in BC Parks and they are quite content to have them remain in place. BC Parks suggested that if there was a particularly nice area that wasn't getting visited they may recruit a local cacher via the BCGA to place a cache in that area to attract more visitors. I don't think you need to worry about 'heavily-travelled' areas being where we hide caches - those do exist, but there are some incredible places in our provincial parks that not many people get to see... unless they're geocaching!

Regarding the remote cache - you might be wise to send a note to the cache owner to see if they've checked on it since it's last visit. It could have succumbed to a demise worse than a ranger! Also, it's unlikely that a ranger is going to take time to go to a remote area to remove a cache - they just don't have the manpower to take on that sort of additional workload.

Edited by Landsharkz

Seems Alberta parks are still trying to figure out what they want to do. At this time there is no policy. Our local reviewer will allow them with demenstratable permission from the local park manager.

Actually the reviewer is able to send a request to Alberta Parks and get permission for any specific cache at this time.

Regarding the remote cache - you might be wise to send a note to the cache owner to see if they've checked on it since it's last visit. It could have succumbed to a demise worse than a ranger!

Actually, we plan to take the cache owner along with us. :unsure: He needs to make sure the wolverines or the policy-toting rangers haven't gotten there first. This is a cache that might get visited once a year in a good decade.

From your description, it sounds like the official policy and the practical policy are somewhat different. I wish they'd just say what they really mean...

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I was reading the Texas Park and Wildlife Department webpage for their latest "Texas Geocache Challenge" (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/geocaching/) and it occurred to me that I've read something similar for several U.S. States now!

We probably all know about New York's Seaway Trail geoTrail of course, http://www.seawaytrail.com/geotrail.html, and Maryland has a similar challenge. But I remember reading about the Georgia State Parks sponsoring such a challenge too, http://www.gastateparks.org/Geocaching.

I'm sure there are other State sponsored projects. I find it odd the completely different mindset that prevails just across the border. There people are using geocaching to encourage visits to Parks and historical sites, or regions as a whole. Often the only incentive is the award of a geocoin. Here in Ontario what do our Provincial Parks do for us? No seriously, what do they do for us?

I know P.E.I. spent some money and effort to promote geocaching on the Island. And yes I know that some National Parks have gotten on board with geocaching for promoting their trails, but as a whole this country doesn't seem to know what people want or how to give it to them. I look forward to traveling to BC to find some of their caches.

Blue -

My understanding is they will approve EC's but not regular caches. Fair enuf ....same as the Federal Parks in Canada & USA.

Federal Parks in Canada WILL allow regular caches. Parks Canada has a policy that does not allow trade items and the cache needs to have educational content within, but they definitely allow physical caches with verified permission.

My understanding is they will approve EC's but not regular caches. Fair enuf ....same as the Federal Parks in Canada & USA.

Federal Parks in Canada WILL allow regular caches. Parks Canada has a policy that does not allow trade items and the cache needs to have educational content within, but they definitely allow physical caches with verified permission.

-->>There's an Earthcache we just did in Arrowhead Provincial Park in Ontario...

Since I negotiated the new policy here in BC I would like to remind cachers that if they have caches in BC Parks older than 3 years that they please do the required maintenance check.

There is a group of cachers paying attention to this and will ask to have your cache archived if this check is not done soon. I had asked that no archives take place till after the summer to allow all caches to come into compliance. This was never written into the agreement because it was thought it was not needed.

Just remember that BC Parks are the Land Managers and can have a cache archived at any time regardless of the 3 years.

Phil

BC Parks recently updated their policy.

Here's the new one: BC Parks Policy 2013

Of note is the modifications to the 3-year rule: the owner now has to visit & check the cache every 3 years to ensure it's in good shape and the surrounding area isn't being damaged, but it doesn't have to be removed.

Thanks BC Parks! :D

Link above is no longer good ..........

New link to current policy :- BC Parks Policy 2013

The only changes to the previous version are in the "Cache Lifespan" paragraph.

SEPAQ (Quebec) allows geocaching, at least at Parc du Mont-Orford. But there are already some caches in other parks.

Here's a link about it:

http://www.sepaq.com/parcs-quebec/blogue/article.dot?id=97952551-026f-4435-abed-70bc1f1928fb

Sorry, can't seems to find an english version.

But here's a translation of the rules:

"Here are some rules that should be observed to place a geocache within the park boundaries :

1. geocacher must be sure to follow the ethical rules of Quebec Geocaching Association ( QGA ) . www.geocaching - qc.com

2 Any geocache to be placed in a location accessible by a landscaped marked trail or near an open to the public infrastructure : , ( eg service building or picnic area . )

3 Any geocache must be placed at a distance not exceeding one meter landscaped park infrastructure and trails ;

4. geocacher must ensure that the cache does not alter the natural environment;

5. geocacher must fill out an application and shall forward it to the responsible for the conservation and education of the Parc national du Mont - Orford;

6 When approval is given, the geocacher must ensure compliance with the regulations in force in the Quebec national parks ;

7 When publishing Geocache at www.geocaching.com , geocachers must include evidence supporting the preservation of the natural and the basic regulations of the Quebec national parks areas."

It's not clear if it's allowed in other parks, but there are already caches in some other parks.

Edited by Pacifique73