Tips and Tricks

splashley_ashley

Hmmmm - micros. They can be tricky. Here are some of the things I look for:

In an urban area, or even out in the woods, a common micro type is a very small (1/2" round, 3/8" tall) container with a magnetic base. Look for any place that a magnet could stick to. The first one of these I found was on the back of a "no-fishing" sign on a bridge. I was 3 miles into the woods, but there was this bridge that crossed a stream. And there on the back side of the only metal for hundreds of feet, was a magnetic container. Truly evil hide. There is also a micro that looks like a bolt, with a magnetic base - again look for any place a magnet could stick to, or a bolt that looks out of place (3 bolts on one side, but only 2 on the other).

For the bison tube, 35mm film canisters, water proof match containers, or pill bottles - look for these hanging from branches in trees, velcroed under things, or tucked under the covers at the base of light poles.

In wooded areas, fake rocks are a common type of micro - look for rocks that look out of place with the rest of the area. I recently found one that matched very well, but the last person to re-hide it made a mistake. They set it down on top of a vine. I saw the vine come down from a tree, go under the rock and then come back out from the other side - Bingo, got it!

And then there is that hide that just is hard to find. Start looking for anything that does not seem to belong. In the woods, look for sticks on the ground all laying the same way - probably covering the cache. Look for any paths others before you might have made. Look for broken tree limbs, or vines that are packed down.

And when you can't seem to find it, go in further then you think it can be, and start looking again on the way out. I've found many that way, as people like to hide things on the back side of a tree from the trail, or behind a sign that others pass every day - no one looks behind them though.

Hope a few of these may help, and as a previous user suggested - practice makes perfect!

Welcome to the madness!

Learning a few good words to mutter seems to help too. :)

Doesn't really help that much, although it can make you feel somewhat better. :)

Tip #1: Avoid micros until you become more familiar with caching.

Tip#2: Pay close attention to the difficulty rating; as with tip #1 avoid the higher levels early on.

Tip #3: When arriving at GZ, stop following the GPSr. If you are still looking at the GPSr, you are not looking for the cache. Pretty much, just put it away and think like a cache "hider", i.e. "Now just where/how would I hide this silly thing?"

also, read the logs.. some call them spoilers, but there are sometimes clues.. coords 50' off. hard climb.. stepped in a hole. other things that might help you zero in...

the main thing to see is several DNF's,, if a few other cachers did not find it.. don't waste your time. add it to your watch list and if it pops up, then go give it a whirl.

it is really a drag to drive to an area to find out that several caches are not there only after you have spent 30 minutes looking for it. read the logs first.. your luck may be better.

One of the best things you can do is go to a get-together and meet other cachers. Stand around and listen to them talk, you'll pick up hints about certain caches. Ask a few questions, get the "old timers" talking and they will tell you a ton without knowing it. :)

At the same time, you'll meet people who cache, and when one of them says "I'm going out to get a few after this", ask if you can tag along. By the same token you just may find someone who wants a partner to cache with. I find it more fun to hunt with partners simply because 4 -8 eyes are better than 2.

Actually I would love to meet some more experienced cachers in my area. Is there any sort of area on the site where I can set that up or do I just have to be lucky in meeting someone when I go caching?

I do have a partner but he is equally inexperienced so we're still having a difficult time with it :)!

You could start by filling out the "From" field in your profile. I have met a couple people by checking logs on the caches I have found. Try to attend events too. We are doing a CITO event on the 24th, and the ASP Geobach in May.

Hmmmm - micros. They can be tricky. Here are some of the things I look for:

In an urban area, or even out in the woods, a common micro type is a very small (1/2" round, 3/8" tall) container with a magnetic base. Look for any place that a magnet could stick to. The first one of these I found was on the back of a "no-fishing" sign on a bridge. I was 3 miles into the woods, but there was this bridge that crossed a stream. And there on the back side of the only metal for hundreds of feet, was a magnetic container. Truly evil hide. There is also a micro that looks like a bolt, with a magnetic base - again look for any place a magnet could stick to, or a bolt that looks out of place (3 bolts on one side, but only 2 on the other).

For the bison tube, 35mm film canisters, water proof match containers, or pill bottles - look for these hanging from branches in trees, velcroed under things, or tucked under the covers at the base of light poles.

In wooded areas, fake rocks are a common type of micro - look for rocks that look out of place with the rest of the area. I recently found one that matched very well, but the last person to re-hide it made a mistake. They set it down on top of a vine. I saw the vine come down from a tree, go under the rock and then come back out from the other side - Bingo, got it!

And then there is that hide that just is hard to find. Start looking for anything that does not seem to belong. In the woods, look for sticks on the ground all laying the same way - probably covering the cache. Look for any paths others before you might have made. Look for broken tree limbs, or vines that are packed down.

And when you can't seem to find it, go in further then you think it can be, and start looking again on the way out. I've found many that way, as people like to hide things on the back side of a tree from the trail, or behind a sign that others pass every day - no one looks behind them though.

Hope a few of these may help, and as a previous user suggested - practice makes perfect!

Welcome to the madness!

Always remember though - a micro or a nano or a cache of any size for that matter, is in the imagine of the creator. Whatever they can muster up can become a cache. I have seen a hollowed out pine cone. I didn't find it, but someone showed it to me. Wow, now that would be hard to find!

Actually I would love to meet some more experienced cachers in my area. Is there any sort of area on the site where I can set that up or do I just have to be lucky in meeting someone when I go caching?

I do have a partner but he is equally inexperienced so we're still having a difficult time with it :)!

You could start by filling out the "From" field in your profile. I have met a couple people by checking logs on the caches I have found. Try to attend events too. We are doing a CITO event on the 24th, and the ASP Geobach in May.

Thank you!!! Just the question i wanted answering. :)

There are events? Exciting :D! What's CITO?

Try to get into the mind of the hider. Think where would you hide it if it were your cache.

Know what you are looking for if possible. This can clue you into where they put it.

Know what kind of disguses are used. Fake rocks, Fake sprinklers, Fake bolts and other things that look like...things.

Use your eyes. If you look for unnatural objects or places disturbed by other cachers you have a better chance to find the cache.

Seeing as Bob Marley is in your avitar you probly already know this- Be mellow. Getting annoyed or worried when you can't seem to find the cache does not help.

One of the best tips is this:

Once you find a hide by a certain person, take note of anything unusual to that hide. Next time you are looking for a hide by them remember what the last one was like and use that information to your advantage with the new search. You would be surprised at how alike many people make their hides, and they don't realize it. :)

One of the best tips is this:

Once you find a hide by a certain person, take note of anything unusual to that hide. Next time you are looking for a hide by them remember what the last one was like and use that information to your advantage with the new search. You would be surprised at how alike many people make their hides, and they don't realize it. :)

Ooooh clever! These have all been so helpful. I'm going to go out caching again tomorrow and try to remember them all..

I've also seen fake dog poop used as a cache. I bet I stepped over it a couple dozen times before accidentally stepping in it and realizing it was fake! :) Micros are usually a bear to find. Look for a well worn path too, that will usually lead you to it.

Knowing the difficulty is a big help. If it's a 1 or 2, it will be in a fairly easy place. If it's a 2 or 3, it will be somewhere a little trickier, possibly in a "special" container. If it's a 4 or 5, I don't usually look for it. Knowing the size will eliminate a lot of places to look. The best advive is to go out with someone who is experienced. The more caches that you see being found, the better you will be at looking for them.

I try to plan my searches before I go out. I list the caches that I want to try in order on a sheet of paper. I look at each cache page and make sure that it has been found recently/ does not have a string of DNF's. I write down Size/Difficulty/Terrain for each cache. I also write any any other info (actual type of container, which trail it's on, things to watch out for, etc.). I also decrypt all of the hints. Sometimes the hint will be something that you need to know before you start looking (where to park, something that you might need to bring, things to watch out for, etc.). My GPSr only holds the first 20 letters of the hint, so if it's a long one, I write down the pertinent part. If the hint is only about finding the cache, I write "hint" on the sheet. If there's driving between caches, I might write down some directions. Lastly, I leave a little bit of space between each cache so that I can write notes to use when logging on-line. This lets me put something specific on the log. This process saves me from printing out a ton of cache pages, and it gives me a pretty good success rate.

I'm really new at this, and have only found a few caches that are fairly easy/large but I have a terrible time with the ones that aren't really obvious. What do you guys do to find micros and ones out in the wilderness without good hints? Thanks so much :laughing:!

Edited by fishgeek

Lots of good tips so far. here's one that's more about the process than the "how."

If you're having trouble locating a cache in the woods, desert, park landscaping, etc...

just STOP for a minute. Be very still. Focus on your breathing and just let your eyes roam around slowly

looking at nothing and everything. Take in the beauty of nature. Notice how everything fits together harmoniously... Oh! Except for that! There ya go...

Also, I used to say this about how I would find well hidden caches in rocky fields in New England:

I would put my backpack down at GZ and start doing circles out to about 40 feet. Then, I would walk back to my pack, pick it up, and find the cache under the rock it was sitting on. (Sometimes GZ really IS the right spot :laughing: )

Remember to look up. Can't count the times I've gotten bonked in the head by a cache I was expecting to be on the ground.

I've also seen fake dog poop used as a cache. I bet I stepped over it a couple dozen times before accidentally stepping in it and realizing it was fake! :laughing: Micros are usually a bear to find. Look for a well worn path too, that will usually lead you to it.

A few I've found.....

fake bird houses

fake bird houses up in trees

fake limbs in trees (bark didn't match)

fake tree sap (rubber in crotch of tree)

fake traffic reflector (pole mounted)

fake electrical covers (mounted on brick pillar with no power run to it)

I do write down the info beforehand now. That has been a huge help. But I can't believe how many fake items there are... fake tree limbs! No wonder I wasn't finding that any before.. I had no idea where or how to look. This has all been so helpful. I still just wish there were some other geocachers in my area that I could follow for a day. Unfortunately there are no events going on where I live :laughing:

Tip #3: When arriving at GZ, stop following the GPSr. If you are still looking at the GPSr, you are not looking for the cache. Pretty much, just put it away and think like a cache "hider", i.e. "Now just where/how would I hide this silly thing?"

and

the main thing to see is several DNF's,, if a few other cachers did not find it.. don't waste your time. add it to your watch list and if it pops up, then go give it a whirl.

Just to complicate things, the above tips are by no means universal. For example, one of my caches had a string of DNFs, mainly by very experienced cachers. I also got a lot of requests for hints, again from experienced cachers. Yet relatively inexperienced cachers were finding it with ease. The cache is only a 2/2 but it's not a typical UPS (unnatural pile of sticks/stones) hide and the container is reasonably well camouflaged.

The problem turned out to be people following Gitchee-Gummee's tip #3 rather than following the arrow. One guy dropped his pen a few inches from the cache and didn't see it and from the geotrails there I suspect that many have almost stood on the cache without realising it and gone on to log a DNF or ask for a hint. To prevent the string of DNFs putting people off I visited the cache and made a UM log to confirm it was still there. If your geosense isn't working for you, sometimes you have to trust your GPS, identify GZ, and then examine everything within six feet!

BTW, my aim with that cache is to bring people to a local beauty spot rather than set an evil hide. So I've added a dummy cache under an obvious UPS. The dummy contains a strong hint. Most people now seem to find the dummy and follow the hint to the real cache.

HTH,

Geoff

Hi there. Being mellow is a big help to me, especially with city hides. Finding the entrance to a park can be hard sometimes with all that traffic, one ways, U-turns. UGH! LOL

That's why I almost always look at Google Earth first. It's a free download on your computer, so if you don't have it, get it! :-D I copy the coords from GC.com and enter them into Google Earth. It zooms me to a bird's eye view, and from there I can see the general location, possible parking areas. If it's behind a business, sometimes Google has the name of the business when you mouse over some kind of icon on the building. Also, sometimes the new Street View can even get you closer to the area before you arrive.

Make sure Roads and Street View boxes are checked in the box on the left of Google Earth when it's open.

Good luck!

Google Earth! That's such a good idea! I love walking around cities with Street View. Now I can combine that with my new love for Geocaching :D

Google Earth/street view?

Eeer. Nope.

I've looked at some of the caches I've found, and GE/SV has the marker upto 20/30+ feet away!

(In fact, on GE marker was in the middle of the road. :D

However... It does give you an idea of the area you will be looking -providing it's near a road! :D

Sometimes, like the song says, you gotta stop and take a look around. For example, a hanging bison tube or cammo'd match tube zip-tied to a branch might be visible from 20ft away IF you know it's there. If your GPSr says GZ or within a few feet, STOP. Don't move. Look around intently. Everywhere. Let your eyes focus and unfocus. You just might have an ahhh moment. Doesn't always work depending on accuracy. But if your GPSr is right on or even close and you don't trust it, you may be in for a long hunt. I've had a cache in plain sight literally almost hit me in the face at GZ after having spent a half-hour looking for it.