Critters "guarding" the cache

This was inspired by the "gloves" thread. Have you ever found a cache "guarded" by unpleasant critters? Bees, wasps, possums, vorpal bunnies...

What did you do?

Last summer, a nest of wasps took up residence in a local cache called, ironically, A Safe Cache 'N Dash. I didn't have time to wait for nightfall, so I posted a DNF. That's one way to deal with it.

Edited by oakenwood

This was inspired by the "gloves" thread. Have you ever found a cache "guarded" by unpleasant critters? Bees, wasps, possums, vorpal bunnies...

What did you do?

Last summer, a nest of wasps took up residence in a local cache called, ironically, A Safe Cache 'N Dash. I didn't have time to wait for nightfall, so I posted a DNF. That's one way to deal with it.

I just posted in another thread here that shows a couple of the 10" or so millipedes that are all over the cache location. They were pretty slow moving so I wasn't worried too much but still was pretty careful about stilling my hand into the spot where the cache was located. I was more concerned about the tsetse flies in our vehicle a short time later.

Model 12. And I don't mean the prolific Ottawa cacher.

Oh, this reminds me of the oh so ironic story. Basically, someone put a cache in the woods. He named it be careful due to the amount stickerbushes in the area... Well, 2 years later, three people complained about Bees in the area. Get it? BEE careful... It's funny because it was unintentional.

Why does everyone want to use the needs maintenance?

Take a picture like this 17a07093-12d9-4106-8385-bcda0aaec987.jpg then just move the critter away.

I'd be tempted to take that critter home. I would, of course, trade up for it if I could.

I'd like a cache container that looks like this snake.....

I like both ideas.

I spotted this King Snake a few nights ago just laying like a bump on a log at a cache around 10:30pm. I took a bunch of pictures of him and then carefully got to the cache and signed the log.

bb803f97-de8b-4b26-b72b-7b71069d63eb.jpg

Carefully? Why carefully?

I swear if I found that snake I would have held it for a while.

I spotted this King Snake a few nights ago just laying like a bump on a log at a cache around 10:30pm. I took a bunch of pictures of him and then carefully got to the cache and signed the log.

Carefully because snakes kinda creep me out. :laughing:

Carefully because snakes kinda creep me out. :P

I will have to remember that.

:laughing:

I'm not familiar enough with snakes to know which ones I can hold and which ones I can't.

Obvious exceptions excluded of course, I think the only real dangerous snakes I have around here are the rattlesnakes that can't be mistaken for much else.

But I dont know for sure...

Log a "Needs Maintenance" and leave it at that. We came across a cache that was guarded by a rattlesnake today. When we looked at the logs, the last few were DNFs on account of snakes.

Again why add the "Needs Maintenance" log? If there is nothing wrong with the cache then why post that attribute. If you don't like snakes or other critters then don't do the cache. Now in my area it is Bald Eagle nesting time and a number of caches are being disabled because of the proximity of them to the nesting sites at the request of the DNR or property owners. However, posting "Needs Maintenance" because you might have a phobia to a critter???

There is a local series here highlighting bridges this one creek crosses, and i took my friend to grab one. What to you know, it was guarded by a water snake(no venom), and my buddy starts freaking out cause he things it a copper head or something, but i just throw it back into the creek. That time was funny. But i only know 1 of my states 3 venomous snakes, so normally i wouldn't touch one without at least a guide book.

When I've got a situation with a cache guardian, I generally just keep a safe distance and wait to see if it decides to move on. If Mr. Moose or Mr. Bear wants to hang out at ground zero, then I guess it means I snap a picture and log a DNF or a note.

Mr Bear?

89adb0ba-30f4-4447-9288-e11331d187fb.jpg

Reminds me of the 1700 mile road trip for California Delormes, and the 5 year STF on top of a mountain. We surprised a bear with a nice healthy coat, that was rolling in the snow within double digit distance of the cache. Hadn't seen a geocacher in those 5 years and was easy to scare away.

I'm not familiar enough with snakes to know which ones I can hold and which ones I can't.

Obvious exceptions excluded of course, I think the only real dangerous snakes I have around here are the rattlesnakes that can't be mistaken for much else.

But I dont know for sure...

Well, that depends. If you are referring to the rattles, that is a poor sole id factor. The tail end may often be hidden in vegetation. Color/markings is more difficult, especially if the snake is on the move, because there is a fair amount of variation. I have seen people mistake gopher snakes for rattlesnakes based on markings. Head shape is the best distinguishing factor, I think. A rattlesnake's is triangular-shaped, with the head width much wider (roughly twice the width) than where it connects to the body. Non-venomous California snakes have a head that flows much more smoothly into the body, without the degree of width difference seen on rattlesnakes. On the other hand, if you see the rattles on the tail, feel free to back away without checking out the head, too. :lol: