FTF on Vacation

No. I have signed a brand new log on occasion during a vacation trip but I have other things to do rather than rush out for a cache. My noncaching family will put up with me. They do not mind if a cache is in an area we are visiting in any event - or if I make a slight detour for a virtual or earthcache. If a cache description promises to take us someplace interesting, they will come with me. But life is too short to drop other plans or rush out for another smiley - particularly if it turned out to be a lamp post.

If you're bird-brained, like my brother, you live for it! He was visiting, woke up, checked his e-mail, ran out the door at 6:30, had FTF nabbed, and back by 7 for breakfast. We missed one in NYC by about an hour. Tough finding parking there!

I did get one in Maine, visiting my sister. But it was a tough puzzle, and was a few days without a find. I don't generally go out of my way for them.

Let's see. I am at a nice bed and breakfast with my wife and jump out of bed at 10 at night to get a cache. I don't think so.

If I was at a B&B with my partner and a new cache was published close by, we'd both jump out of bed to get it.

If I was on vacation with a friend who didn't geocache, then probably not. It depends on the circumstances.

Been there, Done that, and it was fun and easy.

Picked up three FTFs while on a vacation, each one was in a different state.

We used "caching along a route" and we set the notification for 50 miles out. So when we reached the edge of one area we just centered the notification for 50 or so miles down the road. Which means we redid the notification every 100 miles. We also check the local area each morning before we hit the road.

During that vacation we found a total of 72 caches in 7 states. Drive a little, find a cache. Drive a little farther change notification. Drive some more find a cache. It was fun. :)

I've never been a FTF hound and can't imagine I ever will. So if I was going out of town, I wouldn't bother with setting up notifications.

I do see why people would like to meet the locals though and a FTF hunt may provide that opportunity, but I just set up an event for myself a month beforehand and meet the locals that way.

Well, I did get a surprise FTF in 2004 (before notifications) while on "vacation". More like I was on my 2 weeks annual Army Reserve training 300 miles from home. Turned out to be one of those "buddy had the coords before publication" things though. But I didn't come here and start a forum thread or anything. :)

Naw, I'd never do it. But if I were an FTF enthusiast, I could see you changing your notifications to your vacation location. Go for it.

I've never been a FTF hound and can't imagine I ever will. So if I was going out of town, I wouldn't bother with setting up notifications.

I do see why people would like to meet the locals though and a FTF hunt may provide that opportunity, but I just set up an event for myself a month beforehand and meet the locals that way.

I've done that too, No better way to meet a bunch of locals than to attend an event. If there's not one planned where you're going, make your own. It's easy enough online to find a restaurant with a meeting room. I like restaurants because you usually don't have to pay seperatly for the room.