unwanted cache 'help'

nucci6

This recently occured to some caches I own and I thought about asking the broader geocaching community for its opinion.

I put out a couple of caches that should be relatively easy to find and one intentionally difficult. Even though they are nanos the 2 easy ones should be located without much difficulty. The third nano is intended to frustrate somewhat.

Suddenly I start reading in the logs about 'found the decoy' or 'not the correct container, looked some more'.

It turns out some anonymous visitor placed additional nano containers near mine but instead of a log inside it contained taunts such as 'close' or 'keep looking'. I'm not sure if these were meant to encourage cachers to keep looking.

In the case of the difficult nano a micro container was placed close by with similar taunts.

Naturally I am furious about this unwanted help but temper myself by reminding myself that it is just a game. On my next maintenance run I plan to remove the decoys. Maybe if the anonymous placer contacted me or offered to help I might think differently about the decoys.

Long story short -- what do you think?

This recently occured to some caches I own and I thought about asking the broader geocaching community for its opinion.

I put out a couple of caches that should be relatively easy to find and one intentionally difficult. Even though they are nanos the 2 easy ones should be located without much difficulty. The third nano is intended to frustrate somewhat.

Suddenly I start reading in the logs about 'found the decoy' or 'not the correct container, looked some more'.

It turns out some anonymous visitor placed additional nano containers near mine but instead of a log inside it contained taunts such as 'close' or 'keep looking'. I'm not sure if these were meant to encourage cachers to keep looking.

In the case of the difficult nano a micro container was placed close by with similar taunts.

Naturally I am furious about this unwanted help but temper myself by reminding myself that it is just a game. On my next maintenance run I plan to remove the decoys. Maybe if the anonymous placer contacted me or offered to help I might think differently about the decoys.

Interesting. I looked at your profile, and they're all in the same small town in NY (which I live about 90 miles from). That being said, first I've heard of any such zany cache shenanigans in Western NY. <_<

Any geo-drama going on with anyone, that would make them want to do this maliciously? Or any geo-pals who would play a whacky prank like this on you as a joke?

It sounds to me like you get a couple free nano containers to go hide elsewhere. Think of it as a gift.

Yup, free nanos. Deposit them in the nearest trash can. :)

Hold on a second.

Assuming the owner of the dummy caches has permission to place their dummies, then would not ownership of said containers remain with the person who placed them.

Therefore would it not be stealing to remove said containers?

I think we need some legal advice before proceeding. <_<

I think you just got some free nano containers... scarf 'em up and go hide them as new hides. Or leave 'em be and just up your difficulty, either way I wouldn't look a gift nano in the mouth :)

Had a situation here where someone hid a nano downtown and we found a nano magnet on a sign post right at GZ. Left and logged a DNF and a message to the owner that looks like his nano fell apart. He knew nothing about it and turned out the cache was still there. Decoys can be fun, too.... especially if you're the owner <_<

Had a situation here where someone hid a nano downtown and we found a nano magnet on a sign post right at GZ. Left and logged a DNF and a message to the owner that looks like his nano fell apart. He knew nothing about it and turned out the cache was still there. Decoys can be fun, too.... especially if you're the owner <_<

Never did figure out how that nano magnet got there! Had a DNF on one of minelike that. Checked and the cache was still there. Might havee been from the original (but muggled) cache 70' away?

Never did figure out how that nano magnet got there! Had a DNF on one of minelike that. Checked and the cache was still there. Might havee been from the original (but muggled) cache 70' away?
If I recall correctly the cache here was stuck against the post behind the sign on the same post as where the magnet was found... odd part is I was trying for the FTF when I found that. Because I got distracted by the magnet I lost out on the FTF.... never assume <_<

I haven't had that happen but I did have a kind geocacher place a new cache for me right next to the one he couldn't find. I went out and checked to make sure everything was ok and they were hanging right next to each other. Mine was hanging with fishing line inside a post hole and his was with a bent coat hanger.

I know have another, free, cache to hide at a later date.

I had a nice cache with a twist. I had filled a container up with decoys and put the log underneath the container. When I went to do maintenance, the "nice cacher" had taken my log, torn the packaging apart, and placed the log on top of the decoys..... the cachers to follow wouldn't be tricked by the decoys.... ;)