Cache maggot arrested.

Wow...with all the effort some of you are putting into this, I think you people have way too much time on your hands.
Did you at least put in the effort to read enough of the thread to realize that this very likely deals with a ten year span of muggled caches? Hundreds of caches take a lot of time to put out and to replace when stolen. This is not much ado about nothing. It also is a small, but important precident.

I did see that he looked up at me and got up and was walking back and forth. Must have been the nerves working agaist him. Or he recognized the cache name on the button to know who I was as he did steal quite a few of my caches as well.

This is what has me so irritated at this whole thread. Did he admit to you that he stole your caches? You people have already convicted him of every theft in the area over the past 10 years. If you have solid evidence that he took your caches, fine. If not, quit making baseless accusations against this guy.

Get on with your life for goodness sakes.

Apathy seems to come all too easily to someone who did not own one of the stolen caches.

Exactly

And empathy comes from anyone who can imagine having been someone who had many caches stolen.

Sorry Bittsen, you've got it wrong.

Empathy: Co-experience

Sympathy: Understanding

I lost my father, therefore I can empathize with you losing yours

I've never lost my father, but I can sympathize with you about losing yours

Get it straight, sheesh :(

Apathy seems to come all too easily to someone who did not own one of the stolen caches.

...or spent many hours looking for the stolen caches.

and while yes, it would be unfair for us to assign blame for every cache that goes missing to mr. repak, there has been a great body of circumstantial evidence that he is responsible for a great deal of the cache thefts in that area over a period of years.

while circumstantial evidence makes for a poor case, it is fair of us to think that having to answer for the caches related to the actual charges may result in mr. repak refraining from stealing any caches in the future.

those of us who have experienced the grim version of the game as it's been played around rome up into the adirondacks can all breathe a little happier when we go out caching there.

and while yes, it would be unfair for us to assign blame for every cache that goes missing to mr. repak, there has been a great body of circumstantial evidence that he is responsible for a great deal of the cache thefts in that area over a period of years.

What's the great body of circumstantial evidence? Thank goodness we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty (unless you have money, but that's a different story altogether)

What's the great body of circumstantial evidence?

why don't you run along and do your own homework?

if you'd been following along from the beginning and not some johnny-come-lately, you'd know. try to keep up.

That's funny, i made the 9th post to this thread and I've yet to see this great body of circumstantial evidence. Maybe you meant to say "Large body of speculation" ?

Wow...with all the effort some of you are putting into this, I think you people have way too much time on your hands.
Did you at least put in the effort to read enough of the thread to realize that this very likely deals with a ten year span of muggled caches? Hundreds of caches take a lot of time to put out and to replace when stolen. This is not much ado about nothing. It also is a small, but important precident.

I have read the thread from the beginning. You stated the key word yourself...likely. Likely does not equate to did. The point is, you cannot prove the guy took anything more than the cache he was there at...maybe a couple more that were found in his car as mentioned...hardly enough to crucufy him for all of them.

I have read posts from (thankfully) many levelheaded people, but sometimes it has gotten pretty scary, especially with people advocating he lose his job over this, for example.

if you'd been following along from the beginning and not some johnny-come-lately, you'd know. try to keep up.

That's funny, i made the 9th post to this thread and I've yet to see this great body of circumstantial evidence. Maybe you meant to say "Large body of speculation" ?

huh. and you think this thread is the beginning of the story?

well, that explains a lot.

i suppose you might also be an early poster to a thread about solo ocean navigation and consider yourself an expert on sailing.

This is what has me so irritated at this whole thread. Did he admit to you that he stole your caches? You people have already convicted him of every theft in the area over the past 10 years. If you have solid evidence that he took your caches, fine. If not, quit making baseless accusations against this guy.

I'm (aspiring to be) human. I will judge based on the evidence I've seen.

Sucks but that's what you humans do.

You are not correct. Sorry.

empathy:

NOUN: 1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.

You do not have to experience something to identify with it.

It was in chapter 119 of my "how to be human" handbook.

I did see that he looked up at me and got up and was walking back and forth. Must have been the nerves working agaist him. Or he recognized the cache name on the button to know who I was as he did steal quite a few of my caches as well.

AMEN!

I have read the thread from the beginning. You stated the key word yourself...likely. Likely does not equate to did. The point is, you cannot prove the guy took anything more than the cache he was there at...maybe a couple more that were found in his car as mentioned...hardly enough to crucufy him for all of them.

I have read posts from (thankfully) many levelheaded people, but sometimes it has gotten pretty scary, especially with people advocating he lose his job over this, for example.

If you have read this thread from the beginning (and I believe you when you say that you did) then you also know that I have been adamant from the beginning that we don't have any proof that more than what was in his hands and in his car were taken by him. But I'm also not going to minimize the issue the way your post seemed to.

huh. and you think this thread is the beginning of the story?

well, that explains a lot.

i suppose you might also be an early poster to a thread about solo ocean navigation and consider yourself an expert on sailing.

<kneeling>

All hail the great Flask!

</kneeling>

That's the problem...they have no real evidence. These people here are so rabid, so frothing at the mouth to make someone pay that they have already tried and convicted this guy. Some people have so little going on in the way of lives that they actually went to court to try...in a not-so-subtle way...to intimidate a guy who is still innocent until proven guilty. Some actually want the guy to lose his livelihood over a cache.

Sad.

empathy:

NOUN: 1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.

What exactly do you think "Identification with" means bubba? I cannot empathize with my wives child-birth pains, because I am not a women and I have never given birth. I cannot "Identify" with her situation. Although, I can sympathize with her even though I cannot identify with her situation.

Go do some research and then you may request further conversation with me.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

empathy:

What exactly do you think "Identification with" means bubba? I cannot empathize with my wives child-birth pains, because I am not a women and I have never given birth. I cannot "Identify" with her situation. Although, I can sympathize with her even though I cannot identify with her situation.

oh, and did you make an early post in a thread about words and therefore fancy yourself the arbiter of all meanings?

i'd echo the thing about the kneeling, except i wouldn't say it, not even as a joke.

oh, and did you make an early post in a thread about words and therefore fancy yourself the arbiter of all meanings?

i'd echo the thing about the kneeling, except i wouldn't say it, not even as a joke.

Your continued spewing of verbal waste does not create evidence. Do you have the evidence, or not? It's not in this thread. You spewed some nonsense implying that there's more evidence outside of this thread, but you've not come forth with anything, so I have to assume you are just spewing your typical nonsense.

I'll play:

Sympathy, compassion, pity, empathy all denote the tendency, practice, or capacity to share in the feelings of others, especially their distress, sorrow, or unfulfilled desires.

Sympathy is the broadest of these terms, signifying a general kinship with another's feelings, no matter of what kind: in sympathy with her yearning for peace and freedom; to extend sympathy to the bereaved.

Empathy most often refers to a vicarious participation in the emotions, ideas, or opinions of others, the ability to imagine oneself in the condition or predicament of another: empathy with those striving to improve their lives; to feel empathy with Hamlet as one watches the play.

(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sympathy)

No rules about actually having felt something to empathize. Granted, it makes it much easier to empathize if you've shared the same experience.

What's the great body of circumstantial evidence? ...

Let's see what I've heard so far.

1. Caches tended to go missing around Rome midweek, when Mr Repak would have been working in the area and they tended to go missing in the Adirondacks on weekends, when he would have had free time to make the 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive there.

2. He was caught on a game camera stealing another cache.

3. Many of the stolen caches were back country caches that involved longish hikes over difficult terrain. Mr. Repak had some expertise in back country travel.

4. Difficult puzzle caches were also stolen. He is an electrical engineer, so obviously has some brains.

5. He ran when caught.

6. There were logbooks and key holders from other caches in his car, as well as a list of other caches and their coordinates.

7. When a local geocacher contacted him after his arrest, he didn't deny that he was THE thief, but he did offer to make some type of restitution.

I'm sure there is more that I missed

Guys, gals... shhhhh.... let's try to keep this thread open for a while longer, OK?

I'm sorry...but after reading 17 pages of venom being spewed with the occasional glimpse of sanity mixed in for good measure, I finally came to this point. It's sad that so many are going to these lengths.

While I will freely admit most of my legal experience has been gained at the "defendants" table in a courtroom, and being from Oklahoma, we aren't thought to be real "bright", 'round these here parts, ya gotta have an "accusation" before ya even git into a courtroom, much less get one of them thar "convictions".

This is the only one that seems to be actual evidence and not speculation. Does anyone know if the photo from the camera was positively identified as Mr. Repak? Or is this just more speculation?

Guys, gals... shhhhh.... let's try to keep this thread open for a while longer, OK?
Huh. . .

Only reason I'm still reading is because there is the occasional bit of actual information that would be completely lost in the oblivion of 18 pages of this nonsense. By the time the next hearing date comes around (Over a month away!) at the rate this thread is growing it'll be too long to be practical to even skim!

If the bickerers can't grow up, I say shut 'er down. When someone actually has something worth saying, they'll start a new thread. Until then, arguing over empathy vs sympathy is a royal waste of everyone's time. :(

Maybe I'll just put everyone participating in needless debate on my Ignore List. That'll take care of having to read the drivel.

*Ploink*

*Ploink*

*Ploinkety*

*PLOINK-PLOINK-PLOINK!!!!!*

Edited by Too Tall John

I'm sorry...but after reading 17 pages of venom being spewed with the occasional glimpse of sanity mixed in for good measure, I finally came to this point. It's sad that so many are going to these lengths.

Here, to help you out...

I hereby give you permission, with no restrictions, to stop reading this thread.

You have permission to quit reading so there is no excuse beyond this point.

You're welcome.

Here, to help you out...

I hereby give you permission, with no restrictions, to stop reading this thread.

You're welcome.

Wow! That will just cure everything, won't it? :(

Is it so much to ask that people post with thought instead of unchecked emotion?

Huh. . .

Only reason I'm still reading is because there is the occasional bit of actual information that would be completely lost in the oblivion of 18 pages of this nonsense. By the time the next hearing date comes around (Over a month away!) at this rate it'll be too long to be practical to even skim!

If the bickerers can't grow up, I say shut 'er down. When someone actually has something worth saying, they'll start a new thread. Until then, arguing over empathy vs sympathy is a royal waste of everyone's time. :(

Last I checked, this is a discussion thread, not a don't talk and wait to be enlightened by the self-appointed information disseminator who apparently has the time to sit in court on a work-day.

TPTB can make this a read-only thread if they want and give write access to the enlightened ones, but until then, this is a discussion forum.

Here, to help you out...

You're welcome.

Wow! That will just cure everything, won't it? :(

Is it so much to ask that people post with thought instead of unchecked emotion?

Mr Pot??? Meet Mr Kettle. Kindly refer to him by name instead of "black"

TPTB can make this a read-only thread if they want and give write access to the enlightened ones, but until then, this is a discussion forum.
. . . with a topic.

What was the topic again? Oh, yeah. . .

Cache maggot arrested.

NOT SYMPATHY VS EMPATHY!

Now, do you have something to say, on topic?

If not, take it to PM's.

This is the only one that seems to be actual evidence and not speculation. Does anyone know if the photo from the camera was positively identified as Mr. Repak? Or is this just more speculation?

The person who owned the game camera said it was. Take his word or not. Logs from other stolen caches were found in his car. I'd call that hard evidence. The rest is circumstantial, but there is enough to lead a reasonable person to believe that this is the guy

Perhaps our friends in upstate can confirm whether or not the thefts have stopped the past few weeks. That would be additional circumstantial evidence. As Thoreau said, some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk. I think we at least have some very fishy tasting milk here.

I don't know that it's apathy... and I do understand the frustrations the victims feel. I too have had caches stolen and have for years sought a clear legal position on cache ownership, related criminal law and possible punishment of cache maggots... the very things that this case and thread are about.

It has been a constant frustration that the attorneys employed by Groundspeak and those attorneys who are Volunteer Cache Reviewers have not been able to give us a solid position on these issues. I totally understand why they don't (can't) but still it's frustrating not to have facts to work with.

I hope then that however this case is resolved it results in a precedent that can be used in similar future cases to educate cachers and to protect our caches.

Still, all this talk about the alleged perpetrator should be focused on the incident(s), status of the case and legal recourse... not on the individual.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear about someone who has embarked upon what I consider to be a rather silly long-term pattern of misbehavior is that the person has psychological issues... such aberrant behavior is often rooted in emotional or mental defect.

That does not in any way excuse their behavior, but what it should do is raise a warning flag that we are dealing with a person whose thinking is outside the norm.

So, if we believe that we're dealing with someone who has such issues I think it is incumbent to tread carefully.

Had the matter been a citation or even arrest, handled by the law and that was it, then the repercussions on his life would not have been, to my thinking, disastrous for him. Lots of folks get in trouble and are penalized. Our system of laws assumes that the punishment is a life lesson and that the perpetrator will go forth and sin no more. Sometimes they dangle a suspended sentence over his head if the judge feels that the perp needs added inducement to retire from his life of crime.

That's the way the law works. The prosecution doesn't call the perp's employer, notify his family, post his foolishness and identification on the internet in an attempt to discredit or destroy him... and there are good reasons for that.

So, by personally addressing and identifying him in this forum, local forums, among ourselves and his community we have gone beyond what the law considers to be proper and adequate. We have taken steps directly or indirectly to assure that word of this case will reach his employer, family and community.

Now, when the 'normal' individual becomes the focus of such internet attention it is no big deal. Been there, done that, and lived to move on.

But, when you have reason to believe that the focus of your attention is already suffering from serious emotional issues that allowed or led to his antisocial behavior in the first place then the chances are much higher that this piling-on may have disastrous consequences.

Some here have talked about him losing his job. Losing his security clearance and therefore his future career. Seeking the maximum penalty under the law. Marking him forever as a "cache maggot".

Those things can have a far more profound effect on someone who may not have 'normal' psychology and coping skills.

Its easy to see where all of this personal identification and attention may well lead... and while I totally understand the concept of "If you can't do the time, don't commit the crime", it's more likely to be exacerbated here, an unnecessarily slippery slope ... prosecuted in a court of law, punished by the law, then publicly embarrassed and shamed in his local community, he then loses his job, loses his security clearance and therefore any future prospects in his career field, loses his house because he can't find adequate work, loses his wife when she can't deal with all this, puts a gun in his mouth. Unstable people are far more likely to ride that slide.

I do not advocate letting this go. I do however advocate letting the law deal with adjudicating this and selecting an appropriate punishment. Let us here discuss those issues.

Revealing the man's job, address, automobile, what he wore to court and personal interpretations of his behavior and expression is beyond the pale. I believe that the chance that this public exposure has been brought to the attention of his employer or family has already happened, or if not that it will. And that's wrong.

Let's keep this discussion focused on the crime and punishment, and not on the alleged perpetrator's personal life.

This was an interesting thread,unitil it got ugly with pointless arguing over something that no one here has any control of.Why are you arguing with each other?

It gives them an excuse to knock the Cheetos off their keyboards.

I just tune in from time to time to see what actual news there is. Takes a patch of good timing to catch the actual stuff as the detritus closes in around it like a pebble sinking in the mud.

The person who owned the game camera said it was. Take his word or not. Logs from other stolen caches were found in his car. I'd call that hard evidence. The rest is circumstantial, but there is enough to lead a reasonable person to believe that this is the guy

Perhaps our friends in upstate can confirm whether or not the thefts have stopped the past few weeks. That would be additional circumstantial evidence. As Thoreau said, some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk. I think we at least have some very fishy tasting milk here.

How did the game camera owner know what Mr. Repak looks like to make a positive ID? Up until the court date, noone knew what this guy looked like except the 2 that caught him stealing the cache. Were one of the 2 that caught him the owners of the camera?

Do you see the problem yet? It's all "SPECULATION"

TAR I agree with you. He has been "burned in effigy". I take issue with only one thing you pointed out. Assuming he indeed does have a "diminished mental capacity" or whatever the current legal term is , in the scope of his employment, such a person should not hold the position he does. (IMHO)

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear about someone who has embarked upon what I consider to be a rather silly long-term pattern of misbehavior is that the person has psychological issues... such aberrant behavior is often rooted in emotional or mental defect.

That does not in any way excuse their behavior, but what it should do is raise a warning flag that we are dealing with a person whose thinking is outside the norm.

Edited by NeecesandNephews
Huh. . .

Only reason I'm still reading is because there is the occasional bit of actual information that would be completely lost in the oblivion of 18 pages of this nonsense. By the time the next hearing date comes around (Over a month away!) at the rate this thread is growing it'll be too long to be practical to even skim!

Maybe I'll just put everyone participating in needless debate on my Ignore List. That'll take care of having to read the drivel.

*Ploink*

*Ploink*

*Ploinkety*

*PLOINK-PLOINK-PLOINK!!!!!*

I find it hard to believe this thread hasn't been locked. Little of it has to do with the thief or what is happening to him. Most of it is the usual combatants throwing stones at each other. I swear some folks will take the opposite sides of an argument just so they don't have to agree.

... Last I checked, this is a discussion thread, not a don't talk and wait to be enlightened by the self-appointed information disseminator who apparently has the time to sit in court on a work-day...

This kind of personal attack is why these threads get shut down.

As far as I can tell this is a victim of a crime seeking justice, attending to her interests, and reporting the facts to those of us who want to know how this case is adjudicated.

In that light this attack on her character is totally inappropriate.

Let's discuss the case and not the individuals.

How did the game camera owner know what Mr. Repak looks like to make a positive ID? Up until the court date, noone knew what this guy looked like except the 2 that caught him stealing the cache. Were one of the 2 that caught him the owners of the camera?

Do you see the problem yet? It's all "SPECULATION"

If you'd like to ask him go to the www.geocachingny.org forums. He said he recognized him. I'm not going to call him a liar.