Cache maggot arrested.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong from your posts, but it seems like you both are suggesting that folks in this forum are not allowed to believe he's guilty and/or shouldn't be posting in this thread that he's guilty. That's not true at all. There's no law against someone posting that the evidence discussed so far is enough to convince them that the man is guilty.

No, that's not the case at all. I wholly believe in freedom of speech. What does scare me, however, is that if the man is found innocent or he does not get the punishment some thinks he deserves, some people will take it upon themselves to punish the guy. I have seen implied threats of bodily harm to wishing he loses his livelihood over a couple caches he may or may not have stolen. It's reached the point of insanity.

I seriously wish some people would step back, breathe and take a look at themselves...if they have any sense of right and wrong, they would not like what they'd see.

What would be worse is if nothing happens and he DID steal all those caches.

Look. The guy IS guilty. Whether or not he will be found guilty in the court of law is something else.

Does anyone still believe that OJ wasn't really guilty? Really? He was found not guilty but we all know he really did commit the crimes.

Editing to add.

Nothing that I do, or you do, or anyone else in this forum does, will affect Paul Repaks livelihood. Mr. Repak did it to himself.

I'm sick of hearing all of the "maybe he's not guilty" comments when it's clear he was caught RED HANDED. His hand was in the cookie jar. He's caught on camera. He had the stolen containers in his car.

Whether or not thos items are admissable isn't important in this forum. It's admissable evidence HERE. He's guilty!

Now, just how many cachess, total, we may never know. But we know he's stolen a few and a few is enogh to label him as a cache maggot and thief.

Edited by bittsen

Look. The guy IS guilty. Whether or not he will be found guilty in the court of law is something else.

Does anyone still believe that OJ wasn't really guilty? Really? He was found not guilty but we all know he really did commit the crimes.

So you think that mob "justice" is the right and correct thing to do if you don't get the results you want? Your line of thinking is no better than the thinking of those who lynched people in the past.

You can't PROVE he took anything more than one cache. Period. Great...he took one cache...that sure is a reason to ruin his life.

:blink:

If he did steal those caches, he deserves justice... Delivered by our justice system. If he pays a tiny fine, keeps his job, keeps his wife and his children continue to love him, then what problem do you have with that?

Isn't the goal that he not steal any more caches? I think what he has been through so far will result in that goal being achieved. But you want more than that. You are looking for vengeance. And that, Bittsen, is a far worse crime than Mr. Repak committed.

Editing to add.

Nothing that I do, or you do, or anyone else in this forum does, will affect Paul Repaks livelihood. Mr. Repak did it to himself.

That's a cop-out and you know it. People like you will use that as an excuse to harass the guy...or possibly worse.

I'm sick of hearing all of the "maybe he's not guilty" comments when it's clear he was caught RED HANDED. His hand was in the cookie jar. He's caught on camera. He had the stolen containers in his car.

Be sick, then. There is only proof of ONE theft. That is all. I am sorry that you're unable to digest such a simple fact. So what if someone claims to have him on camera...until it is conclusively proven that it is him, I take the evidence as hearsay and nothing more.

Whether or not thos items are admissable isn't important in this forum. It's admissable evidence HERE. He's guilty!

Even if you're right, does that make it okay to harass (or threaten) the guy?

Now, just how many cachess, total, we may never know. But we know he's stolen a few and a few is enogh to label him as a cache maggot and thief.

I seem to remember some phrase about sin and casting the first stone...but you know how those things go...

:blink:

Thank goodness we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty (unless you have money, but that's a different story altogether)
Yeah...silly me for believing in that time-honored tenet that we are all innocent until proven guilty... :blink:
Nope, this is not true. If you steal something then you're a thief, and you're guilty the moment it happens.

The thing that you two are confused about, is that only in the eyes of a court are you believed to be innocent before being proved guilty. This only means that you can't be punished until you're convicted.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong from your posts, but it seems like you both are suggesting that folks in this forum are not allowed to believe he's guilty and/or shouldn't be posting in this thread that he's guilty. That's not true at all. There's no law against someone posting that the evidence discussed so far is enough to convince them that the man is guilty.

You are absolutely correct. Posting the person's address and personal information in these forums and then finding him guilty in the court of public opinion is absolutely not against the law. So, when the case is dismissed and a few individuals decide to administer their own justice to this individual when he's out taking a walk, every single one of the people in this forum that have stoked the fire will have blood on their hands.

Mushtang, if it were a civil discussion of the evidence and the possible outcomes of the case, that would be different. Have you not read the threats in this thread? This is one of the few times I've been on these forums where it's not just simple back and forth and arguing for fun. A real person's life has a real potential to be impacted by the furor being created here.

Yeah, but those are all very different things.

Claiming someone is guilty before (or after) they've been tried in court is fine.

Making a threat against them is wrong and almost certainly illegal.

Actually harming the fellow as he's taking a walk is definitely illegal.

However, I don't agree that the people in this thread who said he was guilty would "have blood on their hands" if he was actually attacked. Why would they? They didn't assault him.

If he did steal those caches, he deserves justice... Delivered by our justice system. If he pays a tiny fine, keeps his job, keeps his wife and his children continue to love him, then what problem do you have with that?

Isn't the goal that he not steal any more caches? I think what he has been through so far will result in that goal being achieved. But you want more than that. You are looking for vengeance. And that, Bittsen, is a far worse crime than Mr. Repak committed.

AMEN!!!

No, that's not the case at all. I wholly believe in freedom of speech.

Freedom of Speech doesn't apply here either. I'm just sayin'. :blink:

However, I don't agree that the people in this thread who said he was guilty would "have blood on their hands" if he was actually attacked. Why would they? They didn't assault him.

Again, you are correct! I've said he's probably guilty too. I'm talking about those who have suggested vengeance if the court does not administer justice according to what they believe it should, which seems to include his wife leaving him, losing his job, paying a huge fine, jail time and his dog biting him. There have been some real and disturbing threats made in this thread and that's what I am referring to, not the general discussion of whether he is guilty and the supporting evidence discussions.

No, that's not the case at all. I wholly believe in freedom of speech.

Freedom of Speech doesn't apply here either. I'm just sayin'. :(

You know what I meant. :blink:

Clarifying for anyone who actually believes those siding with Repak...

I never once suggested mob justice. I say I hope he gets what he deserves (whatever that might be is not up to me).

Anything that happens, he did to himself. (If you don't want trouble, don't create trouble)

I won't cry if he loses everything (But I'm not doing anything to cause him to lose anything)

He was caught red handed with evidence (dismiss it if you wish but if it was murder and he had a smoking gun in his car... well...)

Mr Repak caused his own mess.

I never once suggested mob justice. I say I hope he gets what he deserves (whatever that might be is not up to me).

Anything that happens, he did to himself. (If you don't want trouble, don't create trouble)

I won't cry if he loses everything (But I'm not doing anything to cause him to lose anything)

He was caught red handed with evidence (dismiss it if you wish but if it was murder and he had a smoking gun in his car... well...)

Nice way to backpedal...

ETA: It's a sad commentary on you when you would feel no remorse over someone losing everything over a stupid geocache. Furthermore, I am not "siding" with the guy at all. I want justice (from the courts) served and nothing more if he is found guilty. We don't automatically agree with Repak just because we don't agree with you.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
Inciting violence upon another person is just as bad as actually meting out the violence.
... Furthermore, I am not "siding" with the guy at all. I want justice (from the courts) served and nothing more if he is found guilty. We don't automatically agree with Repak just because we don't agree with you.
"You're either with me or with the devil" is a very common debate tactic used in these forums.

Nice way to backpedal...

ETA: It's a sad commentary on you when you would feel no remorse over someone losing everything over a stupid geocache. Furthermore, I am not "siding" with the guy at all. I want justice (from the courts) served and nothing more if he is found guilty. We don't automatically agree with Repak just because we don't agree with you.

As I have pointed out, the courts can't always be trusted to provide justice.

Thank goodness there are some people in the world that can see that.

Inciting violence upon another person is just as bad as actually meting out the violence.

I disagree.

However, I was only talking about the people that say the man is guilty, not about people suggesting that he be assaulted if found innocent in court (which I don't think anyone has actually done).

... Furthermore, I am not "siding" with the guy at all. I want justice (from the courts) served and nothing more if he is found guilty. We don't automatically agree with Repak just because we don't agree with you.
"You're either with me or with the devil" is a very common debate tactic used in these forums.

You know that, and appear to practice it as well.

How does saying that I think he is guilty equate with me inciting violence on him?

...As I have pointed out, the courts can't always be trusted to provide justice....

True enough. If justice gets dropped or aborted for whatever reason, it is tempting to use the same system to eke out a little justice that would in turn be dropped or aborted for whatever reason.

I can appreciate the symmetry of that as well as the irony, if things did play out that way. If by chance I had to serve on a jury for my peer who left a burning GX on this guys lawn and the system was demanding that I punish this person for a "geo hate crime" I'd probably have to laugh and vote "not guilty".

Edited by Renegade Knight

Before this gets locked, I'd like to post Bittsen's top 10 quotes in this thread.

10) Even if he's not convicted, at least everyone now knows who he is.

9) Real people like to get revenge when someone does them wrong.

8) I wouldn't cry if he were let free and some cacher knocked on his door and busted him in the face

7) If he doesn't get convicted, some person who is teetering on the edge between good and evil may just decide that there HAS to be some justice and make his life miserable, like he has done to others.

6) I assume a little suffering has begun. I think he needs to suffer a little more though.

5) He's scum. He's pretty close to a terrorist.

4) He should be scared because there are some people out there who will succumb to their primitive instinct to perform justice on a personal level.

3) Not everyone can sustain control over their emotional need to feel the sweet taste of revenge.

2) If I were in that guys shoes, i would be watching over my shoulder constantly.

1) I am done arguing with you about it. You can have the last word.

(If only)

If that's not inciting violence, I don't know what is.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Before this gets locked, I'd like to post Bittsen's top 10 quotes in this thread.

8) I wouldn't cry if he were let free and some cacher knocked on his door and busted him in the face

7) If he doesn't get convicted, some person who is teetering on the edge between good and evil may just decide that there HAS to be some justice and make his life miserable, like he has done to others.

6) I assume a little suffering has begun. I think he needs to suffer a little more though.

4) He should be scared because there are some people out there who will succumb to their primitive instinct to perform justice on a personal level.

3) Not everyone can sustain control over their emotional need to feel the sweet taste of revenge.

2) If I were in that guys shoes, i would be watching over my shoulder constantly.

(If only)

Based on the evidence presented, I think all can agree that bittsen is guilty of something, based on the rules of forum evidence as stated previously. If you do not agree, simply remember OJ, court of public opinion, karma or something like that.

Do the forum rules extend to non-forum members? There has been a lot of name calling in here.

Edited by baloo&bd

Last warning...

Chill out or the thread gets locked.

I say go ahead and close it down before someone actually puts a hit on the guy's head. Several people have danced all around it already.

I will agree, go ahead and lock it. I will not agree that anyone was dancing close to suggesting a hit be placed on the guy. Although I may be easily talked into chipping in to have a couple of those big bags of popcorn dumped on his lawn. Anyone know how much poop a flock of pigeons can produce in a day? :blink:

Last warning...

I say go ahead and close it down before someone actually puts a hit on the guy's head. Several people have danced all around it already.

I will agree, go ahead and lock it. I will not agree that anyone was dancing close to suggesting a hit be placed on the guy. Although I may be easily talked into chipping in to have a couple of those big bags of popcorn dumped on his lawn. Anyone know how much poop a flock of pigeons can produce in a day? :blink:

That's called vandalism.

Last warning...

That's called vandalism.

No, it's called a joke. There is no lightening this thread, is there?

4) He should be scared because there are some people out there who will succumb to their primitive instinct

to perform justice on a personal level.

(If only)

I am amazed at what some people are allowed to say here with out getting a week time out. I have said less in the past and gotten a week off. I guess it isn't who you know.............

This may be a basic question,but.How much will the value of the things he stole weigh in to his possible punishment?Seems there wasnt alot of monitary value in the items found.Could he simply be made to make the victim or victims whole?

Hitting someone doesn't necessarily have any monetary harm but a simple apology is never the punishment for assault.

The courts won't just ask him to pay restitution. The courts, if he's found guilty, will assess a fine. They need to make a buck to cover the "court costs".

I am not talking about "hitting"or"assault".I am talking about the value of the stuff he stole.

Last warning...

[/quote

That's called vandalism.

I tried to lighten it with a funny pic of Matlock and Columbo and got yelled at.

Edited by chachi44089

Last warning...

That's called vandalism.

I know...I was joking with ya. :(

ETA: You do, however, see how someone could take you serious, given the climate of this thread, right?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Last warning...

That's called vandalism.

What you don't understand is just by saying that, there's probably a cacher out there contemplating doing just that. I can see someone doing something so they can feel like a hero, especially if the court decision comes down lenient. This has gone beyond an online debate. Like I said, this has a real potential of turning ugly. So because of that, we should all be VERY careful. Even if you are just joking, you've just given someone an idea of something they can do to him.

My point is that it is always a double standard here. You are not "Allowed" to talk bad about others here but a thread like this is allowed to go on and on just to build the fires. I am sure there is a reason to what happened and why it happened but who are we to be the judge. There is always two sides of the story.

The circumstantial evidence below more than meets the burden of proof for a conviction in this Kangaroo Court here on the forums. Unfortunately, the burden is much higher in an actual court. It seems hard to tell to which court some posters are referring. Personally, I am reasonably sure that Mr. Repak is guilty of the theft of hundreds of caches, but I am not in the jury pool, nor will I have any influence whatsoever on the case.

As for the evidence, wouldn't it be nice if C.S.I. NY could go through his computer and his house. I'm sure that they could find links to many if not most of the missing caches. That's just not gonna happen.

and while yes, it would be unfair for us to assign blame for every cache that goes missing to mr. repak, there has been a great body of circumstantial evidence that he is responsible for a great deal of the cache thefts in that area over a period of years.

What's the great body of circumstantial evidence? ...

Let's see what I've heard so far.

1. Caches tended to go missing around Rome midweek, when Mr Repak would have been working in the area and they tended to go missing in the Adirondacks on weekends, when he would have had free time to make the 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive there.

2. He was caught on a game camera stealing another cache.

3. Many of the stolen caches were back country caches that involved longish hikes over difficult terrain. Mr. Repak had some expertise in back country travel.

4. Difficult puzzle caches were also stolen. He is an electrical engineer, so obviously has some brains.

5. He ran when caught.

6. There were logbooks and key holders from other caches in his car, as well as a list of other caches and their coordinates.

7. When a local geocacher contacted him after his arrest, he didn't deny that he was THE thief, but he did offer to make some type of restitution.

I'm sure there is more that I missed

In a criminal court much of this evidence would probably be inadmissible. In the court of common sense Mr Repak is the likely culprit. Whether he is convicted as charged, plea bargains, gets the charges dropped or is found not guilty, as a cache owner please allow me to take delight in any uncomfortability that his actions caused him.

As a Central NY geocacher, I've been following this story and thread closely. I am beyond the main center of the thief's activity but have had plenty of inconveniences, frustration, and added expense in gas $ and time when caching in that area. Getting a DeLorme block and separate qualifying county caches in that area for those challenges was nearly impossible! After a string of my own DNFs and other caches that I passed because of the strings of DNF logs on them, I finally went way out of my way to get to a cache called "You Are Being Watched" GCVQCP - which was already placed back in 2006 as a direct reaction to the cache thief activities.

Several geocachers from the area have posted here emphasizing the scale of the cache thieving - scale in all respects: geographical, number of caches, and time over which they have been taken. There is definitely a determined cache thief in this area. It is true that the court case will be about the one cache he was caught red-handed with (and others from the car or game camera if they are added to the evidence) but I personally believe that he has been caught given what I have heard and how it matches up with the pattern of behavior that has been experienced in this area. I can understand the rejoicing of those involved and expect that they would have anticipated the geocaching community to share in their joy and am surprised at some of the reactions here. On our end we have mused about what we would do if there was a cache thief like this in our area and the idea of game cameras was at the top of the list. We also thought about creating a cache on private property (probably an ammo can lined with foreign currency) whose value would take it over the misdemeanor level and into the felony category so that higher charges could be sought. We were just thinking, of course, as many here no doubt have been and had no intention of actually carrying this out or pursuing a legal path.

I don't know what the court will make of this because ultimately an item of minimal value has been taken and that is why I am disappointed that Groundspeak has not taken an active role in this by inquiring, educating, and arbitrating between those affected. Ultimately someone was heavily interfering with the game that is their business. If someone interfered with their computer system to electronically alter coordinates for the cache listings, I would expect that they would take action. The systematic and deliberate cache thief as not much different in its effect.

For those looking for more evidence, I found geolobo's posts here most interesting in this regard. He has actually communicated with the cache thief who both apologized "for the game of geocaching going where it is not supposed to be" and made an indirect offer of a contribution of $500 for containers and geocaching education as a retribution. Does a $500 retribution sound like a reasonable offer someone who stole a single magnetic key holder?

(If only)

I understand that it was tough narrowing it down to just 10, but I thought that I'd mention two that aren't on that list:

11) "Its only logical"

12) "I'm just sayin' :blink:

Something that has not been mentioned, which I think is a real possibility is that all this interest will create a lot of copy-cat thieves, especially considering all the angst this one guy has caused.

Just a thought

You think that there are really an appreciable number of folks looking for a way to disrupt other folks fun, become the target of hatred and pursuit, be prosecuted and punished?

I think the opposite... anyone who hears about this will more likely think "Man, these folks are serious about protecting their caches, maybe messing with them isn't a real smart thing to do."

As a Central NY geocacher, I've been following this story and thread closely. I am beyond the main center of the thief's activity but have had plenty of inconveniences, frustration, and added expense in gas $ and time when caching in that area. Getting a DeLorme block and separate qualifying county caches in that area for those challenges was nearly impossible! After a string of my own DNFs and other caches that I passed because of the strings of DNF logs on them, I finally went way out of my way to get to a cache called "You Are Being Watched" GCVQCP - which was already placed back in 2006 as a direct reaction to the cache thief activities.

Several geocachers from the area have posted here emphasizing the scale of the cache thieving - scale in all respects: geographical, number of caches, and time over which they have been taken. There is definitely a determined cache thief in this area. It is true that the court case will be about the one cache he was caught red-handed with (and others from the car or game camera if they are added to the evidence) but I personally believe that he has been caught given what I have heard and how it matches up with the pattern of behavior that has been experienced in this area. I can understand the rejoicing of those involved and expect that they would have anticipated the geocaching community to share in their joy and am surprised at some of the reactions here. On our end we have mused about what we would do if there was a cache thief like this in our area and the idea of game cameras was at the top of the list. We also thought about creating a cache on private property (probably an ammo can lined with foreign currency) whose value would take it over the misdemeanor level and into the felony category so that higher charges could be sought. We were just thinking, of course, as many here no doubt have been and had no intention of actually carrying this out or pursuing a legal path.

Thanks for posting, it is like a breath of fresh air!

I find the idea of increasing the value of the container to increase the severity of charges interesting. I wonder if value of many containers over time would accumulate? Probably not, and it would be nearly impossible to link him to enough caches, unless he's got them all in his home. If he did, they are probably gone now anyways. . . :(

I don't know what the court will make of this because ultimately an item of minimal value has been taken and that is why I am disappointed that Groundspeak has not taken an active role in this by inquiring, educating, and arbitrating between those affected. Ultimately someone was heavily interfering with the game that is their business. If someone interfered with their computer system to electronically alter coordinates for the cache listings, I would expect that they would take action. The systematic and deliberate cache thief as not much different in its effect.
I think this an interesting take, that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread. Something GC.com might want to think about, if they haven't already.

If they have considered this & have decided against action, I'd suspect it would have to do with the fact that they are, technically, a listing service and have no real ownership in the containers that have been taken.

For those looking for more evidence, I found geolobo's posts here most interesting in this regard. He has actually communicated with the cache thief who both apologized "for the game of geocaching going where it is not supposed to be" and made an indirect offer of a contribution of $500 for containers and geocaching education as a retribution. Does a $500 retribution sound like a reasonable offer someone who stole a single magnetic key holder?
My thoughts exactly! The letter, as presented, didn't strike me as something written by someone falsely accused, but as someone who was trying to get out of trouble.

Great post, hopefully it will bring some focus back for those who can't seem to stop hitting thep_quote.gifbutton even when they have nothing to say about the topic. :blink:

Edited by Too Tall John

Last warning...

That's called vandalism.

What you don't understand is just by saying that, there's probably a cacher out there contemplating doing just that. I can see someone doing something so they can feel like a hero, especially if the court decision comes down lenient. This has gone beyond an online debate. Like I said, this has a real potential of turning ugly. So because of that, we should all be VERY careful. Even if you are just joking, you've just given someone an idea of something they can do to him.

Give me a break! Is there anyone here who is on their way to the store to buy popcorn because of my joke? Not flipp'n likely. This whole thread is just a bunch of insanity. Will somebody please close the silly thing?

Last warning...

That's called vandalism.

Give me a break! Is there anyone here who is on their way to the store to buy popcorn because of my joke? Not flipp'n likely. This whole thread is just a bunch of insanity. Will somebody please close the silly thing?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

What? mcdonald.jpg
I am not a moderator, but nevertheless, I would like to politely ask that you (and anyone else who fits this shoe) please stop making flippant posts like this, and your last one, to what many of us consider to be a very important thread. We've already had one warning. Thank you. You may wish to start a funny thread about this over in the Off-Topics forum instead.

if you think this thread is important............? :blink:

Yeah, and my pants may fall down while I'm walking past the Whitehouse. Actually, that one is more likely.

So who is gonna be first to take offense at that one?

I'd say it's time to buy a belt, then. :o

If I am ever caught mooning the prez it won't be do to a wardrobe malfunction.

Edit because I forgot to add the :( and the :blink: . Sorry.

Edited by GOF & Bacall