Im scared

STRW

My family will try our 1st cache his weekend. I am scared after reading all this stuff about reading a GPS. I have always used my GPS for speed, distance, and top speed. I sure hope its easier than im reading.

Go for an easy level cache. You do not want to experience 'all the fun' while trying to get a gist of the game. Follow the arrow until you get close to ground zero and then put the gps away and start looking. If you can't seem to find it don't blame yourself or your gps, it's not suppose to be that easy anyway. If it was we wouldn't still be here hashing out the best ways to find a cache.

Pretty soon you'll be giving advice to others. Keep going.

I sure hope its easier than im reading.

If it's a car GPS, the best you may be able to do is walk until you get the "Ground Zero" icon over your position. That will put you in the general area, and then you'll have to rely on the information from the cache page. So start by hunting caches that have very good descriptions and hints -- you should have an idea of what you'll look for (ammo can, etc.), and where you're gonna look, before you even arrive ("under a forked tree", "between the large rocks", or whatever).

If you have a handheld GPS, you can use the pointer and distance. That's what I use most, until within 30 feet or so.

Hope this helps!

I have only been geocaching for two weeks. Go for a bigger cache. When you get there don't overthink it..you could be staring right at it. Use your GPS and stay in that general area but don't go too far. It's there. I have only found 20+ but after the first day I learned so much. And all these very nice people have helped me with some great advice...I am so hooked. :unsure:

My family will try our 1st cache his weekend. I am scared after reading all this stuff about reading a GPS. I have always used my GPS for speed, distance, and top speed. I sure hope its easier than im reading.

If we knew what GPS you had someone could give you better advice on how to use it for geocaching. At any rate start easy and enjoy the adventure.

For geocaching, you will be paying more attention to distance and direction. Follow direction until distance drops to a minimum, then start looking around you for something hidden. Pay attention to the stated size of the cache, as well as the difficulty and terrain ratings. Nothing to be afraid of. Sounds like you already have much more experience than most that are first starting out.

A few of suggestions:

1. Pick "regular" sized caches that are in local parks and places that you are familiar with. No issues with getting lost, and no looking for micros.

2. Check out to see if there are local geocaching groups. Many have regular "meet 'n greets". Newbies are welcome, and my guess is that there will be plenty of friendly faces to get you pointed in the right direction.

3. Get comfortable with your GPS unit before heading for the woods. Mark the location of your house, and see if you can "find it" using the GPS alone. Or check out local USGS benchmarks -- most are survey disks that can be concealed or gone, but quite a few are prominent landmarks (water towers, church steeples) that can be found readily.

If we knew what GPS you had someone could give you better advice on how to use it for geocaching. At any rate start easy and enjoy the adventure.

i have the garmen etrex legend 2002 version.

Thanks for all the responses. We are going after a 1.5 star cache that is in a park just a mile from my house. There are 3 of them in that park with different ratings so we will start with the easiest 1st. I dont have my manual for the gps so i dont know how to put in the coordinates.

It would be most helpful if someone has the same gps and would be willing to speak with me over the phone to learn a few of the basics. Im in florida. I would call you so it doesnt cost you anything.

Garmin Etrex legend 2002 version.

To hand-enter coords, mark your position, scroll up to highlight the coords, [enter] then you can manually change the coords to those listed for the cache.

It is the same as marking a waypoint, but you need to change the coords. You would also want to change the name of that waypoint to that of the cache, or cache # if you prefer (Garmins do not allow for long names). If your unit shows a [save] option, you should also do that before beginning entries for the next cache (waypoint).

Continue doing that until you have entered all the caches into the unit that you wish to go for on that run.

Then... make your run and collect the smileys. :unsure:

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks for all the responses. We are going after a 1.5 star cache that is in a park just a mile from my house. There are 3 of them in that park with different ratings so we will start with the easiest 1st. I dont have my manual for the gps so i dont know how to put in the coordinates.

It would be most helpful if someone has the same gps and would be willing to speak with me over the phone to learn a few of the basics. Im in florida. I would call you so it doesnt cost you anything.

Here is the owner's manual:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegend_OwnersManual.pdf

Here is the quick start guide:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegend...erenceGuide.pdf

I mentioned it on another thread, but think it bears repeating...

It helped me immensely to read the cache page description completely. It will tell you what size cache you are looking for, how difficult the "hidden" aspect of it is, how difficult the terrain is, ect...

Many pages have hints to help you. Reading the log posts of other cachers also may reveal more "hints" about the cache.

The page refers to them as "spoilers" but I think that is an unfair characterization for a new cacher to interpret. I would rather "spoil" the first couple caches, than "spoil" the experience by having a "did not find" on my first few.

If you are like me... it will take very few finds for you to develop a "feel" for the game. If you think like someone trying to hide something it helps.

Once you get past the technical aspects of your tracking device, remember it will only get you close. If it put you right on a chache "two feet off the ground, in the third bush from the north end" how much fun would that be???

Find what is referred to as "Ground Zero" and then think in terms of the size object you are seeking. Where would YOU hide it??

Trust me... you are gonna love this game!!!!!

Or you could do what we did at first and still do much of the time (We're very low tech):

Print up the page and, then, just try to get close to the numbers. Once you're pretty close, put the GPSr down and start your search. The printed cache page can be helpful to have with you.

STRW -

Go afield with a list of easy caches in nice places. I've only found 14 so far, and I'm STILL scared that I won't find any more! :lol: You might try looking for larger caches too.

It'll be fine. What's been working for me is I get to the ground zero (where my GPS says I'm right on top of it) and check to see the satellite accuracy (like it says + or - 8 feet) and I draw an imaginary circle around me 8 feet out and start searching...

I homebrew beer, and there's a saying... "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"

So I say to you:

Relax. Don't worry. Have fun caching! :o

Fuzzy

I am feeling better now that yalls advice has allowed me to store 3 cache cords in my gps and as i walked in that direction the distance shrunk :lol: I have a big yard, so i stored my home waypoint in my driveway and then went to my property line in hopes to make it back to those coords and when i got to the marked spot my gps said that i was still 23ft away. how can i get that more accurate?

I am feeling better now that yalls advice has allowed me to store 3 cache cords in my gps and as i walked in that direction the distance shrunk :lol: I have a big yard, so i stored my home waypoint in my driveway and then went to my property line in hopes to make it back to those coords and when i got to the marked spot my gps said that i was still 23ft away. how can i get that more accurate?

You can't really. The consumer gps has limited accuracy. Things like tree coverage and cliffs walls will make it even worse. Just try to get as close to ground zero as you can and then put the gps away and start searching. You'll start developing your geo-sense as you gain experience.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I am feeling better now that yalls advice has allowed me to store 3 cache cords in my gps and as i walked in that direction the distance shrunk :o I have a big yard, so i stored my home waypoint in my driveway and then went to my property line in hopes to make it back to those coords and when i got to the marked spot my gps said that i was still 23ft away. how can i get that more accurate?

You can't really. The consumer gps has limited accuracy. Things like tree coverage and cliffs walls will make it even worse. Just try to get as close to ground zero as you can and then put the gps away and start searching. You'll start developing your geo-sense as you gain experience.

:lol:

Now I have to disagree.

Stand still, GPS held level, for a couple minutes.

Yes, tree coverage, cliff walls, where your body is in relation to the satellite radio signal, etc affects things, but I've stood still for a minute or five and watched my accuracy go from 20+ feet to 7 1/2.

Maybe it'll help, maybe not.

Fuzzy

I am feeling better now that yalls advice has allowed me to store 3 cache cords in my gps and as i walked in that direction the distance shrunk :o I have a big yard, so i stored my home waypoint in my driveway and then went to my property line in hopes to make it back to those coords and when i got to the marked spot my gps said that i was still 23ft away. how can i get that more accurate?

:lol:

Now I have to disagree.

Stand still, GPS held level, for a couple minutes.

Yes, tree coverage, cliff walls, where your body is in relation to the satellite radio signal, etc affects things, but I've stood still for a minute or five and watched my accuracy go from 20+ feet to 7 1/2.

Maybe it'll help, maybe not.

Fuzzy

Even if you own the most fanciest consumer gps, assume a 30 foot offset.

This is where you will need to develop what's called "geo-sense". When you look at the cache page, any number of things can be clues to help you find the cache, for example: the cache name, the size of the cache, any site desciption the CO (cache owner) may give, and/or any hints given below the description.

Your Legend will get you close to the cache, and then you use the cache info and your brain to figure out where the cache may be hidden. Your GPS is just a tool to HELP you accomplish a task, so try to rely on your "geo-senses" more than the machine. Have fun and good luck! :o

You don't get it more accurate. You are dealing with the standard variation in GPS accuracy and it is a good example of that, Sometimes you will be a foot or two off and sometimes you will be as many as 50 feet off.

After a while your "geo sense" will be honed and you will usually be able to figure out where the cache is from 20 feet away,

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. I think i have the basics

get coord

read description

get as close as the gps will get you

then use your spidy senses or in this case geo senses

I have 3 locked in, 1.5, 3, 5 star rating that we will attempt this weekend. The 5 star is only because a canoe is needed. I will let yall know how we did.

Well i must say that it was exciting! My son and i drove out in seek of our 1st cache, a 1.5 start rating. We got to within 120ft by vehicle and then we took off on foot. The distance started falling and before we knew it we were at ground zero with 5ft still on the gps so we started looking and within minuts my son made the find! He was very happy and i loved that look on his face. The cache was about 20ft from our 5ft mark so it was off by 15ft, not bad.

Hoping for warmer weather this weekend to try 2 more :unsure:

Well i must say that it was exciting! My son and i drove out in seek of our 1st cache, a 1.5 start rating. We got to within 120ft by vehicle and then we took off on foot. The distance started falling and before we knew it we were at ground zero with 5ft still on the gps so we started looking and within minuts my son made the find! He was very happy and i loved that look on his face. The cache was about 20ft from our 5ft mark so it was off by 15ft, not bad.

Hoping for warmer weather this weekend to try 2 more :unsure:

Warm weather or not. When the bug bites you, you will be going out in all kinds of weather, if you can.

My son is 7 and his eyes light up just about every find. STILL!! This weekend he climbed a tree to grab a cache before I could get my back pack off. The longer hikes are a little tedious for him until we start to find other interesting things on our venture. I try to spot things to show him. It keeps his interest up and I don't continually hear " Can we go back to the van now?"

My 13 year old daughter. She doesn't like the cold weather hiking. We are in Southern Ontario by the way and it can be cold at times. But if I pick some drive bys, she doesn't mind getting out to grab them. But then again, she says she doesn't like the cold and then grabs a drive by without putting her coat on! LOL!

Congrats on your first find. I hope it is only one of many!

The more you get into this, the more you are going to find fun and interesting places that you may not have known existed.

I just noticed you haven't logged your find. Don't forget to log it to get your smiley face on the GC.com site!

Edited by Swamper68

Go to YouTube and search under GeoCaching, lots of good info there. Happy Finding, and don't worry if you have to log a DNF. When you log a DNF at least you are looking.

Hoping for warmer weather this weekend to try 2 more :rolleyes:

Warm weather or not. When the bug bites you, you will be going out in all kinds of weather, if you can.

My son is 7 and his eyes light up just about every find. STILL!! This weekend he climbed a tree to grab a cache before I could get my back pack off. The longer hikes are a little tedious for him until we start to find other interesting things on our venture. I try to spot things to show him. It keeps his interest up and I don't continually hear " Can we go back to the van now?"

My 13 year old daughter. She doesn't like the cold weather hiking. We are in Southern Ontario by the way and it can be cold at times. But if I pick some drive bys, she doesn't mind getting out to grab them. But then again, she says she doesn't like the cold and then grabs a drive by without putting her coat on! LOL!

Congrats on your first find. I hope it is only one of many!

The more you get into this, the more you are going to find fun and interesting places that you may not have known existed.

I just noticed you haven't logged your find. Don't forget to log it to get your smiley face on the GC.com site!

I tried to log the find but could not figure it out. I looked under my profile? was that the wrong spot?

We live in south florida so 60degrees is freezing to us, LOL!

I tried to log the find but could not figure it out. I looked under my profile? was that the wrong spot?

We live in south florida so 60degrees is freezing to us, LOL!

Go to the cache page (the one with the description of the cache you found) and in the upper right corner in a box titled "Navigation" will be a link labeled "Log Your Visit". The rest should be self explanatory.

Congrats on your first find! I discovered that when caching at night you need to know where your going. lol i placed my first cache iast weekend just down from my house and i did it at night to avoid muggles. and since it is only .5 miles from my doorstep i decided to walk it, and chose a route throught the woods, well the trip there and placing was eventless but on the way back my flashlight was going out and i treked through the biggest briar patch in McIntosh county. lol all to say caching can be very advenutrous at time