Anyone else need to log-in again and again ?

huffinpuffin2

Wonder if anyone is experiencing this problem and/or knows of a solve:

Starting yesterday, every time we leave the geocaching.com website, we are forced to log back in on our return. Always sign in, and have everything set to accept cookies. Never had the problem in the past. It happens on everything we use: 2 PCs and 2 Smart Phones. Only solve we can think of is to change our name and password to one letter to expedite the log-in process............

Found nothing in the Groundspeak forums, but searching here is not so friendly....

Thanks for any assistance and insight you can provide!

Wonder if anyone is experiencing this problem and/or knows of a solve:

Starting yesterday, every time we leave the geocaching.com website, we are forced to log back in on our return. Always sign in, and have everything set to accept cookies. Never had the problem in the past. It happens on everything we use: 2 PCs and 2 Smart Phones. Only solve we can think of is to change our name and password to one letter to expedite the log-in process............

Found nothing in the Groundspeak forums, but searching here is not so friendly....

Thanks for any assistance and insight you can provide!

Not usually, but it happened either yesterday or the day before a couple of times, then it's OK again.

This has happened to me a handful of times over the last year. In addition to needing to sign in every time I return to a page, I also get timed out and need to sign in again after a period of inactivity.

Sometimes I find the 'remember me' button below the username/password box has been cleared, and resetting that solves the problem.

I'd guess that the 'remember me' issue is related to use of system cleanup software which clears out cookies but that doesn't explain needing to sign in for every page or getting timed out.

Other times this problem has cleared up on its own, eventually.

There's a Knowledgebase article that says you'll be logged out after 45 minutes of inactivity.

I was getting logged out in considerably less time than that, and found it to be an issue with some security software on this machine. I fiddled with settings.

Now it takes about 30 minutes of inactivity for me to be logged off. Which is okay, if it's been that long, I probably got up and left the computer anyway.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The 45 minute termination to me is misleading. The cookies are on your system, and are good for 30 days. I suspect it being more end user issues with cookie management as the first two bullets indicate the more like issue. www.geocaching.com has never sent me a cookie expiration that I have ever detected. If it were 443/SSL traffic I would say the third bullet could apply. You do have a cache creation submit timer, and is clearly stated, when you hit the Hide & Seek Cache page.

Groundspeak uses only port 80 traffic and simple cookies. If you flush them, or block them will be the two issues to evaluate. The browsers like Fire Fox clear cookie cache on exit, and you can configure it to not do that, as well as allowing cookies to be saved in the first place. These are two distinct behaviors, and are independently configurable. :ph34r: MR

There's a Knowledgebase article that says you'll be logged out after 45 minutes of inactivity.

That Knowledgebase article, which can now be found here, was obviously written by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. I've been logged in for months and haven't had to log back in at all.

That 45 minute thing is referring to the Create/Edit a Cache page, and even then it's wrong. The form is only good for 45 minutes. If you try to submit it after more time has elapsed, you'll get an error. But you won't be logged out.

It would be nice if those KB articles were actually correct and helpful :laughing:

Getting back to the original post, do you ever actually log out on any of these devices? Doing so will log you out on all devices.

Never intentionally log out, and don't believe it accidentally occurs. Have now been signed on steady for about 5 days without getting kicked out again. Must be fixed, huh?

Thanks much for your thoughts and input, all! Very much appreciated! :laughing:

my computers at home and work are doing the same thing all of the sudden.. there has been a security update from microsoft.. could that have anything to do with it?

also.. my family and I cache together, so my wife and I are often logged in at the same time.. viewing caches or the forum. could this cause any problems?

yep.. that's why i wondered why i kept having to do it.

just fired up a new tab in IE.. to check. had to log in yet again...

note the box says rememer me.. not keep me logged in for x days..

which is the intended functionality? i assume it is to stay logged in.

as mentioned above by others.. i now often have to log into geocaching and the forums.. a single login used to get both done.

Edited by TXHooligans

The same thing was happening to me all of a sudden with Firefox 3.58 at work and 6.0 home. I deleted the cookies from gc.com , it seems to be working again. I will shut browser to test once more though.

ETA so far so good.

Edited by hallycat

I have had the same problems but still havent gotten it cleared up. However here is an addition glitch. Wondering if it is part of all of this mess.

When I go to the home page & click GO next to home cords when it goes to the cache listed page it doesnt have the caches. It will sometime have the page numbers & I can click on next but often it doesnt have that & I have to go to the top of the page & click use google maps.

Then just use the icons to click each cache.

Than to top it all off today I did that & when it brought up the map there were no smiles/stars indication found/owned caches. What is with that?

It is making me crazy!!!

I have had the same problems but still havent gotten it cleared up. However here is an addition glitch. Wondering if it is part of all of this mess.

When I go to the home page & click GO next to home cords when it goes to the cache listed page it doesnt have the caches. It will sometime have the page numbers & I can click on next but often it doesnt have that & I have to go to the top of the page & click use google maps.

Than to top it all off today I did that & when it brought up the map there were no smiles/stars indication found/owned caches. What is with that?

It is making me crazy!!!

Browser and version are helpful when posting this sort of problem.

It is making me crazy!!!

My PC has windows Vista & whatever the most recent update for it is. Sorry Im not real savy with computer stuff. It comes up Windows Explorer on the top bar if that helps. :smile:

It is making me crazy!!!

My PC has windows Vista & whatever the most recent update for it is. Sorry Im not real savy with computer stuff. It comes up Windows Explorer on the top bar if that helps. :smile:

With the browser open (probably Internet Explorer but this holds for almost all browsers ) go to the toolbar and click help/about to get version number.

i deleted the cookies with geocaching and Groundspeak in their names and all seems to be well.. just 2 files ending in .txt

this saved me from deleting all my cookies..

I might have missed this, but does anyone know why these geocaching cookies were placed on our systems? Deleting them seems to indicate that they are not important. And according to some posters, doing this fixed their 'problems'?

i deleted the cookies with geocaching and Groundspeak in their names and all seems to be well.. just 2 files ending in .txt

this saved me from deleting all my cookies..

I might have missed this, but does anyone know why these geocaching cookies were placed on our systems? Deleting them seems to indicate that they are not important. And according to some posters, doing this fixed their 'problems'?

Well apparently these particular cookies were holding our log in information so we didn't have to log in every visit.

This was painless, because you can delete individual cookies. iPhone....it's all or nothing UGH!

The cookies contain the information that allows the website to recognize who you are and log you in automatically. Sometimes the cookies get corrupted or stop working correctly for some reason. Deleting them essentially logs you out and the next time you log in they get recreated.

The cookies contain the information that allows the website to recognize who you are and log you in automatically. Sometimes the cookies get corrupted or stop working correctly for some reason. Deleting them essentially logs you out and the next time you log in they get recreated.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.