another rant about irresponsible cache owners

brokenoaks

Will cachers themselves be the downfall of the game? Perhaps so if we don't take the responsibility to monitor our own caches. Rules and cache police are not the answer. It doesn't take a genius to read the logs of our own caches and correct any problems we see.

How many things like this are going to happen before more and more of us simply give it up and not play the game anymore?

After reading the mission of a TB I picked up this weekend I wanted to get it back out in circulation as soon as possible so I stopped by a TB hotel not far from my home to drop it off. disappointing to say the least. I found the soggy cache with an inch of water in it (Tupperware makes lousy cache containers) especially with no attempt to camouflage it at all. it was laying in plain sight with just a small chunk of tree bark trying to hide it. all the trackible items in the inventory were gone missing and according to their logs none have reappeared anywhere. upon going online and reading all the logs for this particular cache this appears to be an ongoing problem with it. the only thing in it was a damp log. needless to say I did not leave the travel bug I brought up and I did not even bother to pick up the nasty wet log to write a note, from the looks of it I doubt the cache owner would see it anyway. I did leave a note online but that probably will not do any good as there have been others. it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

Will cachers themselves be the downfall of the game? Perhaps so if we don't take the responsibility to monitor our own caches. Rules and cache police are not the answer. It doesn't take a genius to read the logs of our own caches and correct any problems we see.

How many things like this are going to happen before more and more of us simply give it up and not play the game anymore?

After reading the mission of a TB I picked up this weekend I wanted to get it back out in circulation as soon as possible so I stopped by a TB hotel not far from my home to drop it off. disappointing to say the least. I found the soggy cache with an inch of water in it (Tupperware makes lousy cache containers) especially with no attempt to camouflage it at all. it was laying in plain sight with just a small chunk of tree bark trying to hide it. all the trackible items in the inventory were gone missing and according to their logs none have reappeared anywhere. upon going online and reading all the logs for this particular cache this appears to be an ongoing problem with it. the only thing in it was a damp log. needless to say I did not leave the travel bug I brought up and I did not even bother to pick up the nasty wet log to write a note, from the looks of it I doubt the cache owner would see it anyway. I did leave a note online but that probably will not do any good as there have been others. it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

Are you implying that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch?

Anyone who places a trackable in a cache should THINK first to see if that's a secure cache. If not, don't drop it.

..it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

because people don't know or remember one of the old guidelines for placing a cache — do them locally where you can maintain them.

don't place caches on while you are on vacation or saturate an area far away from you with micros and nanos - those prevent people who live in the area from placing a real cache.

so if you don't live close enough to maintain the cache, don't place it.

did this rule get changed? it should be easy enough for a reviewer to decline a cache if the owner starts off with "loved this location we found while on vacation so we wanted to place a cache here." or check the coords of the cache with the home coords of the placer.

i really get tired of crappy caches placed by people that are not from around here.

my 2¢

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

There are many things to consider when moving a bug and placing it into a cache. Why? Because it's not a perfect world. I'm glad to see that you decided on a better location.

I wish I had a better answer for you but being a cache cop I have to deal with the fact that not every cache is bug friendly.

Edited by BlueDeuce
..it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

because people don't know or remember one of the old guidelines for placing a cache — do them locally where you can maintain them.

don't place caches on while you are on vacation or saturate an area far away from you with micros and nanos - those prevent people who live in the area from placing a real cache.

did this rule get changed? it should be easy enough for a reviewer to decline a cache if the owner starts off with "loved this location we found while on vacation so we wanted to place a cache here." or check the coords of the cache with the home coords of the placer.

i really get tired of crappy caches placed by people that are not from around here.

my 2¢

rsg

I thought reviewers wouldn't OK a cache placement unless it was close enough to home to take care of it.

my 2¢

rsg

I thought reviewers wouldn't OK a cache placement unless it was close enough to home to take care of it.

I think RSG has over estimated the number of troubled caches that are place while on vacation.

It is certainly puzzling why some cache owners don't maintain their caches. I know some have quit the game and never went out to retrieve their caches. For the particular cache you've mentioned, have you tried to e-mail the CO? If it's an ongoing problem and the CO doesn't appear interested in doing anything, maybe you should log a need archive.

Another 2 cents.

If it's an ongoing problem and the CO doesn't appear interested in doing anything, maybe you should log a need archive.

I'd normally say that this cache is still available to be found...just not a good cache to drop trackables into, so it doesn't really need to be archived. Soggy logbooks can be replaced and the container can be covered up better, even if the owner is MIA. Of course, that means the caching community has to "adopt" the cache and do the maintainance.

In this case, I'd go with the sentiment that not every cache has to be or should be saved. It sounds like the owner isn't interested in maintaining this cache. Maybe it's time to open the area up to someone else and hope for a more thoughtful cache®.

my 2¢

rsg

I think RSG has over estimated the number of troubled caches that are place while on vacation.

caches placed while on vacation, whether troubled or not, should not be placed - because if it does become "troubled" the cache owner is not around to take care of it. and it is left up to the locals to maintain it or remove it. or it becomes trash. that is why the guideline was established in the first place.

caches placed while on vacation, whether troubled or not, should not be placed - because if it does become "troubled" the cache owner is not around to take care of it. and it is left up to the locals to maintain it or remove it. or it becomes trash. that is why the guideline was established in the first place.
They didn't say that you're overestimating the results of vacation caches, they said you're overestimating number of them.

Generally, reviewers don't publish caches placed by people who hide outside their reasonable maintenance range without a local maintainer.

They didn't say that you're overestimating the results of vacation caches, they said you're overestimating number of them.

Generally, reviewers don't publish caches placed by people who hide outside their reasonable maintenance range without a local maintainer.

this is just one fairly recent example:

>>Team Awesome Trip to Vegas (1 of 4) "In n' out and around the corner" ftf gets a football key chain

We here at Team Awesome Drive to Las Vegas on a regular basis ....we love the ...... museums... yeah that's it...

anyways we are relatively new to the cache society so we thought we could spice things up with a cache trip from Anaheim to Las Vegas! The first 3 are near some of the common stops we make along the way to Vegas.The 4th is about 15 minutes off the Las Vegas strip behind one of our all time favorite breakfast restaurants.( ps our favorite resturant is open 7-2 tues-sun)<<

so this is just one example - four caches placed out of the owner's maintenance distance - unless they want to come to the high desert from anahieim to replace a cache that is trashed. although i think these are micros - not much one can do to those.

maybe their trips to the museums of las vegas will be frequent enough they can check in on their caches. ;-)

Edited by RedShoesGirl

GC1Z901 - placed in the high desert by a cacher from mission viejo - a long ways away. there are more, but i think you get the idea.

there are lots. it seems to me many of these caches are little ones, bring-your-own-pencil types - easy to place without much thought to the cache itself or where it is being placed. just dump it and run.

i'm an old-fashioned kinda cacher, well thought out caches, clever hides, and swag! room for swag, water-tight containers, no trash. things that irresponsible cachers don't seem to value.

again, just the thoughts of one in a dwindling minority. i am just trying to figure out how these get past the reviewers.

rsg

GC1Z901 - placed in the high desert by a cacher from mission viejo - a long ways away. there are more, but i think you get the idea.

there are lots. it seems to me many of these caches are little ones, bring-your-own-pencil types - easy to place without much thought to the cache itself or where it is being placed. just dump it and run.

i'm an old-fashioned kinda cacher, well thought out caches, clever hides, and swag! room for swag, water-tight containers, no trash. things that irresponsible cachers don't seem to value.

again, just the thoughts of one in a dwindling minority. i am just trying to figure out how these get past the reviewers.

rsg

I think these caches "get past the reviewers" because the reviewers generally take what they're told (by the cache owner) at face value. If the cache owner writes "we here at Team Awsome Drive to Las Vegas on a regular basis..." then I suspect that the reviewer accepts that to mean that they pass the cache site regularly and will be able to do maintenance promptly.

I know that here in UK the reviewers do ask the prospective cache owner how they plan to look after their cache if it's quite a distance from the home coordinates (i.e. outside a rough radius of 60 miles) but if a reasonable explanation is given ("I have relatives/holiday home/work committments nearby and I'm there regularly" or "My mate, Jim Brown, the local 'whatever' is going to look after the cache for me") then, as long as all other guidelines are followed, the cache will be published.

I understand your frustration at such badly maintained caches but as the system relies a lot on trust between reviewer and cache placer then, unhappily, it can sometimes be abused.

MrsB :lol:

it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

There are a lot of different reasons for this. Some of it is just laziness. Some of it happens because not much thought was put into the hide to begin with and about the same thought goes into the maintenance.

But some of it happens as a result of illness.

I used to do regular maintenance runs on all my caches, regardless of whether someone had mentioned anything in the their log. If someone did post an issue, I would be right out to check on it.

However, a while back things changed a bit for me and I am no longer able to maintain several of my caches the way I would like. Over the last couple of years I have archived most of them. :lol:

I do think it's rude to not respond though. Even if you can't get out and check on things right away, I think a lot of people would just appreciate the CO acknowledging the issue and giving some kind of window on when it will be fixed.

...needless to say I did not leave the travel bug I brought...

As I TB owner, let me offer my thanx for your consideration. I was updating my bugs and coins the other day and saw that one of my missing ones was last placed in a TB hotel that had been muggled three times in the past, with all the bugs/coins taken. It came as no surprise that it was muggled again, leading to the loss of my bug. It boggles my imagination that the cache is still up and running, and has not been moved. You would think that after the 1st, or maybe 2nd, possibly even the 3rd time the cache was stolen, the owner might get a clue that their chosen spot sucked. :lol:

i am just trying to figure out how these get past the reviewers.

If the owner puts forth a plausible maintenance plan then I am obligated to publish their listing. I take statements like "my family has a hunting camp in the area" or "I visit my parents here twice each month" at face value. Were I to do otherwise, there would be a lot more forum threads complaining about strict reviewers on power trips. Our job is to publish caches, not find ways to hold them up.

In truth, the overall percentage for unmaintained vacation caches isn't all that different from unmaintained local caches. I will be archiving more than 50 unmaintained caches later this month. None of them are vacation caches. If I could predict with certainty which caches wouldn't be maintained, I'd probably switch to learning how to predict lottery numbers with certainty.

Maybe it's different where you live. My review territory includes vacation spots like Toledo, Pittsburgh and Dayton.

I'd normally say that this cache is still available to be found...just not a good cache to drop trackables into, so it doesn't really need to be archived. Soggy logbooks can be replaced and the container can be covered up better, even if the owner is MIA. Of course, that means the caching community has to "adopt" the cache and do the maintainance.

In this case, I'd go with the sentiment that not every cache has to be or should be saved. It sounds like the owner isn't interested in maintaining this cache. Maybe it's time to open the area up to someone else and hope for a more thoughtful cache®.

I think part of the problem is people do not understand exactly what a NM and SBA's purpose are and view them in the negative.

Needs maintenance - This, while visible on the page, sends a message to the CO. In its most simplest form it communicates to the CO that they need to check it. The seeker may think it needs log replaced or even think that based on several factors it is not there All that is being asked is that it be checked/maintained.

Recently we sought out a cache that was a 1/1. When we looked at the logs, there were a couple logs in front of mine that suggested it may have been muggled. We posted a NM so the CO would verify it since it had also been sometime since a successful find . Another cacher who had found it previously came out, verified it was there, then left a very snarky post about the NM being misused. In this case, it appears to have worked as intended even though it still appears the CO may be MIA.

Should be archived - While I think this is mis-titled, this is intended to notify the area reviewer that there is a problem with the cache that requires their intervention, nat necessarily to archive, but to "review". It may be too close to the RR tracks and a hazard or it may simply be that the CO is not responding to NM requests. In our area, more often than not, the SBA results in the CO reacting to correct the situation. Unless of course it is an immediate safety issue, our reviewers generally give a time period for the CO to respond to the issues.

In the OP, I did not read if there had been any NM posted to the cache. While I agree, logs should be enough, some COs get lazy if they have a lot of hides and get lots of emails and only respond when there is a direct message or NM/SBA. Wrong but a reality.

If there were no NM, it as just as much a problem with the area seekers. Either fix it or go through the steps. You still found it. I would have found a way to correct it or leave my mark, logged it and then posted either an NM or SBA as appropriate.

Edited by baloo&bd
...needless to say I did not leave the travel bug I brought...

As I TB owner, let me offer my thanx for your consideration. I was updating my bugs and coins the other day and saw that one of my missing ones was last placed in a TB hotel that had been muggled three times in the past, with all the bugs/coins taken. It came as no surprise that it was muggled again, leading to the loss of my bug. It boggles my imagination that the cache is still up and running, and has not been moved. You would think that after the 1st, or maybe 2nd, possibly even the 3rd time the cache was stolen, the owner might get a clue that their chosen spot sucked. :lol:

I think that this is a big problem. A travil bug hotel needs to be in a secure location. One was just published near me that said "This is a high muggler location so be carefull". Dude, it is a travil bug hotel! high muggler location is a realy bad idea!

PS I have 3 "vacation" caches. They all get maintained. One I visit weekly in the winter, and the other 2, I visit semi-monthly in the summer. If there is a maintenence issue when I won't be visiting for a while, I will dissable the cache, and try to find a local cacher to check on it.

The real problem the OP has here is lazy CO. When a maintenence issue comes up, the CO needs to take some action. It may just tbe disabling it untill he/she has a chance to visit, but something needs to be done.

Just a simple question. I am new to the sport/hobby. I see a lot of talk about CO's not mainmtaining their caches. Would it be out of line to maybe start a thread for non-owners to volunteer to do maintenance on caches the owners can't get to??? Not necessarily adopting them away from the owners, just volunteering to help them out. We all have busy lives, and I know I wouldn't mind if someone helped me out. I dont want to step on any toes though.

I would rather do this than try to hide one, as I am just not that clever!!! lol Plus I would like my first hide to be meaningful, and not just another "skirt lifter" as I have seen them refered to. Being new I am not to the hiding point yet.

One of the first things I ordered pertaining to this hobby, was a handful of log books. I have noticed a couple of finds we have been to and noted needed maintenance, haven't been addressed yet.

I think I could enjoy playing more, if I felt like I was helping out CO's to show appreciation of them hiding. Just a thought!!!

I am sure many cachers already do this favor for owners. :lol:

Just a simple question. I am new to the sport/hobby. I see a lot of talk about CO's not mainmtaining their caches. Would it be out of line to maybe start a thread for non-owners to volunteer to do maintenance on caches the owners can't get to??? Not necessarily adopting them away from the owners, just volunteering to help them out. We all have busy lives, and I know I wouldn't mind if someone helped me out. I dont want to step on any toes though.

I would rather do this than try to hide one, as I am just not that clever!!! lol Plus I would like my first hide to be meaningful, and not just another "skirt lifter" as I have seen them refered to. Being new I am not to the hiding point yet.

One of the first things I ordered pertaining to this hobby, was a handful of log books. I have noticed a couple of finds we have been to and noted needed maintenance, haven't been addressed yet.

I think I could enjoy playing more, if I felt like I was helping out CO's to show appreciation of them hiding. Just a thought!!!

I am sure many cachers already do this favor for owners. :lol:

I don'tfavor the community maintainng other peoples caches. If the CO isn't all that interested in maintaining their caches then archive them and let someone else have the location.

What would be considered a reasonable distance to maintain a cache?

The reason I ask is that I am planning my first hide for a remote area approximately 50 - 60 miles from my home and accessible only with a 4x4 vehicle. The area is a popular off road and back country destination for wheelers, hikers, camping etc and I visit a dozen times a year for the past decade or so. It will be a themed, large cache for PMs only.

The reason for PM only as I do not want a bunch of random people in mini vans breaking down all over the place or being a nuisance on the roads and trails. Completely inappropriate for the area.

I also have a good friend who caches (and wheels) whom I will ask to help maintain when I cannot make the journey.

I expect only a small handful of finds each season.

The reason I ask is that I am planning my first hide for a remote area approximately 50 - 60 miles from my home and accessible only with a 4x4 vehicle. The area is a popular off road and back country destination for wheelers, hikers, camping etc and I visit a dozen times a year for the past decade or so. It will be a themed, large cache for PMs only.

The reason for PM only as I do not want a bunch of random people in mini vans breaking down all over the place or being a nuisance on the roads and trails. Completely inappropriate for the area.

I also have a good friend who caches (and wheels) whom I will ask to help maintain when I cannot make the journey.

You would want to discuss this with your reviewer, of course, but as long as you can demonstrate that you frequent the area that often I don't think you will have a problem. In fact, an hour is within most people's range for regular maintenance.

it baffles me why someone would go to the trouble of placing a cache and not bother to follow it up.

I once contacted a CO in another state as a TB of ours was in one of their caches and it looked to have been muggled but I couldn't quite tell from the recent log notes. I asked the CO if they could check the cache for us so if our TB was missing, we could mark it as such.

I received an email from the CO shortly after that he was in the hospital battling esophageal cancer and he wasn't going to be able to get out to check his caches for awhile.

Life can often get in the way of geocaching. Certainly there are neglectful cache owners out there...but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about someone's integrity without knowing all the facts. :lol:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I don't favor the community maintaining other peoples caches. If the CO isn't all that interested in maintaining their caches then archive them and let someone else have the location.

This is one of those times that I agree with the dragon. I don't care how old the listing is.

I disagree. If someone finds value in the current placement and is willing to maintain it, I don't see a problem with it.

** edited because I didn't cache the part about the CO should archive. That I agree about. If the CO is still around and isn't interested in maintaining his cache, then yes, he should just archive them.

Edited by GeoBain

I own a cache that is 158 miles from my home coordinates. I am retired and often travel out that distance, the cache is in a remote location with little chance of being muggled, and it is in a air tight ammo container so not much chance of getting damaged. I read every log and if there is a problem I can address it in very short order. before my reviewer would allow it we emailed back and forth a few times and after I explained the cache and my maintenance plan he had no problem publishing it. It is not a big problem placing a long distance cache. You just have to have a good plan.

I am sure many cachers already do this favor for owners. ;)

I don'tfavor the community maintainng other peoples caches. If the CO isn't all that interested in maintaining their caches then archive them and let someone else have the location.

Nice to see that you agree with me.

What is reasonable varies from person to person. Some people can't maintain a cache 2 miles from their home. Others maintain caches hundreds of miles away quite nicely. I have 2 caches that are over 200 miles from home. I visit the area fairly regularly.

60 miles away, in an area that you visit a dozen times a year sounds like it could sufficiently be maintained. I don't think you'd have a problem getting that published.

The reason for PM only as I do not want a bunch of random people in mini vans breaking down all over the place or being a nuisance on the roads and trails. Completely inappropriate for the area....

how patronizing. so your assumption is PMs go caching in 4x4s? and all the rest of us random plebeian cachers drive mini-vans? please, get real.

my 4x4 just got her feelings hurt. i am not a premium member.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

The reason for PM only as I do not want a bunch of random people in mini vans breaking down all over the place or being a nuisance on the roads and trails. Completely inappropriate for the area....

how patronizing. so your assumption is PMs go caching in 4x4s? and all the rest of us random plebeian cachers drive mini-vans? please, get real.

rsg

;)B):laughing: now that was funny! Going to have to go look up "plebeian". I might want to be one. lol

...The reason for PM only as I do not want a bunch of random people in mini vans breaking down all over the place or being a nuisance on the roads and trails. Completely inappropriate for the area....

rsg

Heh. . .

I feel inadequate now. I am a premium member and I don't drive a 4X4.

Frankly, if we want to talk about nuisances, it's always the darned 4X4's that are doing stupid things on the highways in bad weather and getting into accidents around here. They should stay off the road! ;)

What is reasonable varies from person to person. Some people can't maintain a cache 2 miles from their home. Others maintain caches hundreds of miles away quite nicely. I have 2 caches that are over 200 miles from home. I visit the area fairly regularly.

60 miles away, in an area that you visit a dozen times a year sounds like it could sufficiently be maintained. I don't think you'd have a problem getting that published.

lornix, are you really that much of a snob?

rsg

They obviously were talking about platinum members and not premium members. The ownership requirement of a Hummer is rarely enforced, however. ;)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool