PDA Suggestions ?

carolnbarney

I've been thinking about obtaining a good used PDA to use while caching and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which is good, not good, sorta good, etc.

Tried to search for this before posting, but forum won't let you search using PDA because it's too short and if you search using any of the words spelled out you get more mess than you'd believe.

So I'm asking and hoping to get some good info.

Thanks

I've been thinking about obtaining a good used PDA to use while caching and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which is good, not good, sorta good, etc.

Tried to search for this before posting, but forum won't let you search using PDA because it's too short and if you search using any of the words spelled out you get more mess than you'd believe.

Thanks

I'm sure that there are newer units around. But if you just want to access to a lot of info on a cheap (approx $30 shipped), reliable USB unit look into a used Palm m500. It's not super fast at sorting data, but it's been more than adaquate for me for several years. I then combine mine with CacheMate ($10 one time cost).

Thanks

I only have experience with the Dellx50v.They are no longer made but I see them on ebay at good prices. Mine has WM2003se and runs gps sonar great. It has built in wireless, card slots for compact flash and sd. It has and continues to serve me well, gets used daily. GSAK exported html files render great and look just like the cache page. Cachemate offers versions of their app that works for Windows or Palm. You have a myriad of PDA's to chose from. Take a look at the Dell but chose what suits your needs.

M500 - cheap reliable and easy to see in the sunlight.

color palms - more expensive harder to see in sunlight.

IIIxe/M100 series - nice units but serial interface. Probably don't want to go that route.

One caution with palm units, the hot sync manager does not work on 64-bit windows. Never has, never will. To sync the palms on a 64-bit system you will need to transfer via a SD card, hot sync via bluetooth or IR.

I have not been able to locate a IR dongle that works with 64 bit Windows 7, I have not looked for one for 64-bit Vista.

I have not tried the bluetooth route yet. One possible drawback to this approach is that units like the M500 that don't have built in bluetooth the SD card adapter can run $20-$50.

I use the SD card method at the present. I use GSAK to put the .pdb file directly on the card. I use fileman ($12) to copy the Items.pdb back to the card if you import the information back to GSAK or other program.

If your using 32 bit XP, Vista or the rare Windows 7 you can use the existing hot sync software without an issue.

i'm using Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N560 with BeeLine GPS, east to use and packed with features

I have the N520 with GeoScout 2. Very easy to use and GeoScout lets you use a wide selection of mapping. It's not too bad in the sun if you hold the unit at the right angle or turn the backlight on full, but if you do the latter the standard battery only gives you an hour or two (but higher capacity batteries are available from eBay etc.) The GPSr is unreliable in heavy woodlands - but then I suspect that applies to most PDAs and you need a high-sensitivity dedicated GPSr to do much better. That said, I've usually been able to triangulate GZ from where I can get a fix.

HTH,

Geoff

I'll second the Palm m500. We use that and it works great! Once you have cachemate installed on the Palm, you can load your PQs into it direct from GSAK. I load the PQ into GASK and then into both my GPSr, and the Palm. Couldn't be easier!

The M500 is good. When mine died I bought a Z22 and I can't see it in the sunlight.

I wouldn't think the m500 series would be a very good choice. I've used the m515 extensively (at work) and it has a very limited capacity.

I currently use the Tungsten T/X with great results. Tons more memory (it is the built-in base memory of a Palm that is the most important, SD cards only give you extra data storage, not application ability). Using the free Plucker program to view caches on the Palm and the GSAK program to compile the data on the computer side. Viewing on the Palm is practically the same as viewing the listings on GC.com (but even easier in many ways).

I'll second the Palm m500. We use that and it works great! Once you have cachemate installed on the Palm, you can load your PQs into it direct from GSAK. I load the PQ into GASK and then into both my GPSr, and the Palm. Couldn't be easier!

with the BeeLine GPS you don't need GSAK...importing the GPX file into the database of the PDA takes few seconds

Edited by t4e
Tons more memory (it is the built-in base memory of a Palm that is the most important, SD cards only give you extra data storage, not application ability).

That's not entirely true. Many applications (like GeoScout) can install to the SD card under Windows Mobile. Perhaps lack of base memory might be a limitation for Palm OS but it normally isn't for WM, which can use the SD card as system ROM if the application is written that way.

So although my Loox N520 only has 128MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM, I'm currently storing details of over 500 caches complete with 25 square km of Virtual Earth Hybrid map tiles for each cache. In addition, I have Navigon Mobile Navigator 5 with UK maps. I also have lots of photos, movie clips, notes, a work calendar etc. on that device. That said, my PDA only supports SD cards up to 2GB, which is why I still use MN5 (because the latest version requires 2.1GB). So it's not the latest and greatest, but it's certainly got more than enough oomph for geocaching despite having a low spec by today's standards.

Geoff

Tons more memory (it is the built-in base memory of a Palm that is the most important, SD cards only give you extra data storage, not application ability).

That's not entirely true. Many applications (like GeoScout) can install to the SD card under Windows Mobile. Perhaps lack of base memory might be a limitation for Palm OS but it normally isn't for WM, which can use the SD card as system ROM if the application is written that way.

So although my Loox N520 only has 128MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM, I'm currently storing details of over 500 caches complete with 25 square km of Virtual Earth Hybrid map tiles for each cache. In addition, I have Navigon Mobile Navigator 5 with UK maps. I also have lots of photos, movie clips, notes, a work calendar etc. on that device. That said, my PDA only supports SD cards up to 2GB, which is why I still use MN5 (because the latest version requires 2.1GB). So it's not the latest and greatest, but it's certainly got more than enough oomph for geocaching despite having a low spec by today's standards.

Geoff

The base memory of 32 Mb on the M500 is enough for 1,000's of caches. I have never ran into a memory problem on my M500. But then again my M500 is for geocaching and therefore I don't have lots of miscellaneous applications, photos and movie clips on it.

The base memory of 32 Mb on the M500 is enough for 1,000's of caches. I have never ran into a memory problem on my M500. But then again my M500 is for geocaching and therefore I don't have lots of miscellaneous applications, photos and movie clips on it.

Even with the Palm Vx and only 8MB of memory, I could load over 2000 geocaches into there with some memory left over, provided you don't get carried away with number of logs. I limit them to 7. So the M500 is definitely a good choice if you just want to be able to carry the info with you and not spend more on a paperless GPSr.

Edited by Chrysalides

The Palm OS is nothing like WM. The Palm base memory is the only thing that can run applications on the older OS versions. The SD cards can be used only for data and only when the application allows it.

The m515's we use at work have 16MB base memory. So yes, you could put a lot of caches on there if that's all you're going to use it for. Plucker looks like about 850KB with the 4 application files on the Palm.

My T/X has 128MB of base memory (built in WiFi internet access also). I currently have 1920 caches and that includes ALL the graphics from the cache listings. Looks like that is taking up just over 3MB on my SD card. It takes awhile to grab all the cache images off the internet when loading them, but it's very nice to be able to view the cache listings exactly as they appear on the internet, to include puzzles. I have the Plucker program resize all images down to fit the Palm screen resolution so as not to waste too much memory space. It takes longer to compile that way, but loads a lot faster in the field.

Granted, my Palm T/X is used for a LOT more than geocaching with some ~50MB of other applications on board. I find the bright color high-res display on the T/X a lot easier to read than the lo-res B&W m515 display. I just feel that the Tungsten series outdoes the m500 series in every regard. It's like comparing the Garmin Geko to the Oregon 550T.

As with any electronic gizmo, YMMV.

Regardless of the PDA you get, one thing that you also should get is a hard case for the PDA. Bouncing around in a geocache bag or in and out of the pockets can and will take a toll on the units. The hard case is money well spent.

Very true. Unfortunately the hard cases can cost more than a used device.

I used a Dell Axim x3i for several years. Very easy to use and worked great. I've seen used ones for about $40 on ebay. Had Wi-Fi capability and Windows Mobile.

Those things need some kind of water resistant padded case for trail use though - just not very tough.

A better solution might be one of the newer fully paperless Geocaching units. A Lowrance Out&back goes for about $160 and is fully paperless including the ability to filter your GPX in the field. Holds all the listing details for up to 4000 caches.

Regardless of the PDA you get, one thing that you also should get is a hard case for the PDA. Bouncing around in a geocache bag or in and out of the pockets can and will take a toll on the units. The hard case is money well spent.

Very true. Unfortunately the hard cases can cost more than a used device.

The case for my $25 M500 cost $8. They are still available at that price.

I bought a Compac pocket PC a few years ago. It was the Ipac 3955. Since it came from the factory with Excel and Word I can use it for more then just goecaching. It will also sync up to my email, but I am afraid that mostly I installed a bunch of games on mine for those times at work when I really didn't want to work.

I used a Palm Zire 21 PDA for a while, no backlight, but the monochrome screen was very easy to see in bright light. The screen resolution was 160 x 160. The Zire has a USB connection. Before that I had a IIIxe, nothing wrong with those, but the serial interface is annoying.

I recently got a Palm Treo 650 phone. Don't activate the phone and you've got a serviceable PDA. Color screen, SD card slot and bluetooth support so you can add a bluetooth GPS receiver to the setup. The color 320 x 320 screen is wonderful compared to the older low-res monochrome screens. It's so good that I don't even care that the Treo is twice as thick and twice as heavy as the Zire. The 700P runs a couple dollars more but has more memory.

Cachemate is a great program, with a bluetooth GPS you can use it for navigating to the cache.

The Treo feels pretty solid, but I'm sure it would object to being dropped in a stream, that's the only downside I can see. But it's less than $40 used, so replacing it wouldn't be too painful.