Pet Pieves

jbravo

OK, I'll bite... why don't you just come right out and tell us about the source of your three pet peeves instead of posting three generalities. I don't see any of those as huge issues.

As for your "pieve" #3...it depends a great deal as to where you live, but basically... archive a cache like that and go back the next summer and see how much "damage" remains. For the most part, nature reclaims powerfully. Not always, I will agree. But almost always.

Yeah, even the tree-hugging History Channel PROVES nature reclaims itself with their series on Life After Humans. I swear, some people just wish humans just didn't exist.

But back on topic.. my pet peeves:

1. I don't mind know-it-alls, but I despise know-it-alls that feel an obligation to admonish me for not living my life like the way they say I should.

2. Hypocrites. You know, those people who complain about micros but hide them themselves.. or, those people who are steadfastly against parking lot hides but have no problem logging a find on one just to get a smiley.

3. and finally, I hate closedminded people. And what I mean by that is that people who KNOW, for a FACT, something they percieve as "proven science" (fill in the blank: global warming, nails in trees, bushwacking trails) to be the Gospel. THEY KNOW that their position is so accurate that they fail to investigate or even contemplate the possibility that they're wrong, only to find out that in fact, they probably are wrong, and not wanting to admit it.

Edited by bflentje

1. owners that know a certain bug/coin hasn't been in the cache its listed in for YEARS!

2. travelers that have over 50 records and gone thousands of miles yet NOBODY bothers to take its picture!

3. blinkies hid on those black wrought iron fences[come away with nothing but black hands]

4. 9999999999999999999 rocks hides with clue "under a rock"

5. coin "proxy cards"[most people will just "discover" these]

6. hides with worthless clues e.g. "so easy you don't need a clue"

Dude, these are awesome! ;)

What is number 5? Not familiar with that.

PS. I'd like to add a note to your "worthless clue" comment. I hate when people list clues that describe the cache container, but it isn't helpful as a clue until you have already found it. For instance, one hide gave clues talking about the letter C or something. I looked everywhere and my friend came up with a C battery hidden in a hole. Duh...that didn't help me find it! Another clue was "go back to the fifth grade" and the completely camo-ed cache was hidden in a bush...it was a "recorder" - you know, the musical instrument everyone learns to play in school. Again...NOT helpful! haha. That cache took me multiple visits...not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be frustrating!

Edited by jbravo
I really find it odd that a couple of you are so defensive. Why not give your input instead of name calling?

Brother, you called Harry Dolphin, (one of the most respected folks in these forums), lazy. :D

If that's not the start of an agnst fest, I don't know what is. :)

;)

;) I kind of did imply that, didn't I? I don't even know Harry D. I wonder why someone would staunchly defend lazy CO's? If you don't think they are lazy, tell us why not...I think I stated my position pretty well, but Harry just got mad and didn't even tell us why. Sounds fishy, don't you think? You don't just get "up in arms" about something that doesn't pertain to you. You know? I assumed it struck a nerve with him. There could be lots of reasons for this, however. For instance, he may have recently had nothing but complaints from inexperienced cachers about his hides. This could be discouraging and thus he took my complaint personal. Or maybe he IS a lazy CO and he felt bad. I really have no idea, and thus...you are right in calling me out for this. I don't know and thus shouldn't have implied (joking or not) that Harry was a lazy CO. So, Harry D - I apologize. :D

Just noticed another pet peeve of mine: "SoCal". Noooo, people. It's SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA for Pete's sake!

Knowschad,

SoStPa

Agreed!

Taoiseach,

EaOnt

I think you are referring to a post of mine. I've lived in Southern California all my life, and SoCal is a commonly seen and accepted diminutive. Same with "So. Cal." or "So. Calif." I'm sorry if it confuses anyone not from the area. My post was actually asking about caches in that area, so it's fine if those readers from other areas overlook the question

Oh... it doesn't confuse me. It is a commonly used term for Southern Californians. I just said that its a pet peeve of mine... that's all.

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. ;)

Oh yeah. That's worse than just leaving it lie. At least if it's left to sit there it will, eventually, become soil.

I remember the good ol days when you didn't have to bag doggie poo. After all, a main component of soil is poo.

My Pet Peeve regarding Pet Poo is that society demands that we treat dog poo like a bio-hazard, but (legally) a big shovel full of horse poo on a trail is perfectly acceptable. I guess the horse lobby has deeper pockets than the dog walkers lobby.

Edited by edscott

On the topic of geovandalism: there is a cache in this area. (It's placed by a certain CO made infamous here in the last few days. It's a coincidence that I bring him up. Really!)

The problem is that the cache is close to a crumbling, yet historic, rock wall. The cache is not actually in the wall, but near enough to it that cachers have been taking the wall apart in the search. I recently visited the site to assess the CITO situation, and noticed that the wall continues to deteriorate as rocks are removed to look behind them, and are not properly replaced. It's been bothering me enough to wonder what to do about it. This thread has prompted me to mention it.

Can anyone recommend what can be done about this cache? I'm not inclined to contact the cache owner. Not any more.

You could approach the owner with your concern and suggest that he post prominently on the page that the cache is not in the rock wall. I have a cache near a fragile historic feature and this has worked quite well.

On a busy page like that it has to be prominent for it to work though. First words on the page, in bold letters.

If the owner is not receptive, then perhaps needs archived note is in order. Or if you'd rather not go public, send an email to the local reviewer explaining the situation.

While I never would have suggested this in "the old days", now that so many are using paperless caching with automatically decrypted hints, the hint may be an additional place to state that it is not in the wall. Possibly put it in there twice, once ROT13 encrypted, once in plain text so it will be obvious to all, whether they use auto-decrypted hints or not.

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. ;)

Oh yeah. That's worse than just leaving it lie. At least if it's left to sit there it will, eventually, become soil.

I remember the good ol days when you didn't have to bag doggie poo. After all, a main component of soil is poo.

My Pet Peeve regarding Pet Poo is that society demands that we treat dog poo like a bio-hazard, but (legally) a big shovel full of horse poo on a trail is perfectly acceptable. I guess the horse lobby has deeper pockets than the dog walkers lobby.

Tip for dog walkers - if your dog defecates on trail, look for a large twig and use it to fling the poo way off trail into the woods where hikers don't walk. In the early Spring, after the snow melt, I take a wooden shim with me and clear the trails I travel (as much as a can). I've had hikers thank me. I love dogs and don't want to give those that don't, reason to gripe and possibly get them banned from trails.

Edited by Lone R

You could approach the owner with your concern and suggest that he post prominently on the page that the cache is not in the rock wall. I have a cache near a fragile historic feature and this has worked quite well.

On a busy page like that it has to be prominent for it to work though. First words on the page, in bold letters.

If the owner is not receptive, then perhaps needs archived note is in order. Or if you'd rather not go public, send an email to the local reviewer explaining the situation.

While I never would have suggested this in "the old days", now that so many are using paperless caching with automatically decrypted hints, the hint may be an additional place to state that it is not in the wall. Possibly put it in there twice, once ROT13 encrypted, once in plain text so it will be obvious to all, whether they use auto-decrypted hints or not.

That's a very good tip knowschad. Thanks.

Tip for dog walkers - if your dog defecates on trail, look for a large twig and use it to fling the poo way off trail into the woods where hikers don't walk. In the early Spring, after the snow melt, I take a wooden shim with me and clear the trails I travel (as much as a can). I've had hikers thank me. I love dogs and don't want to give those that don't, reason to gripe and possibly get them banned from trails.

Oh great! So now as well as dodging the turds on the ground I gotta look out for aerial assaults too when I'm bushwhacking to the cache? :)

;)

My pet peeve is cachers that don't log online. Especially those that don't log DNFs.

It's so much of a peeve, that I'll go so far as to say that if a cacher doesn't want to log online, then they shouldn't cache at all! After all, they're "taking" the fun of finding my caches, so they should "replace" the same goodwill with an online log. And if it wasn't fun, I'd like to hear that too!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

My pet peeve is cachers that don't log online. Especially those that don't log DNFs.

It's so much of a peeve, that I'll go so far as to say that if a cacher doesn't want to log online, then they shouldn't cache at all! After all, they're "taking" the fun of finding my caches, so they should "replace" the same goodwill with an online log. And if it wasn't fun, I'd like to hear that too!

I really like this one too.

Here's another topic...maybe better for another thread. What do you do with DNFs after you find the cache at a later date?

2) Cache owners: If someone posts a log asking for help, RESPOND to it! You may politely decline to help, but I think it is rude (or lazy) to just ignore their post for months on end. It appears that you are uninterested not just in your own cache, but in those hunting your cache. Everyone gets busy from time to time, but if you have too many caches to maintain at a high standard, maybe you could offer to give some up for adoption.

;)

2) EditAddition: Potential finders that think making a general comment in their note or DNF log along the lines about "gee, wish I had some help on this cache" is going to make me take the time to email you about the cache...you want help...take some time your self to send me an email about what you want for help and to what extent...contrary to what you know, I cannot read your mind in order to know what you want or don't want for tips, help or clues...

If you don't have the time to send me an email...well, than I don't have the time either...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I read my log notifications...but, those, along with my emails are sent to an address I can access easily...the website...not so much...and by the time I do get back to a computer to log on, find your profile and write a message to you...it is usually when to long for me to remember...However, send me an email...and I will respond almost immediately...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

2) Cache owners: If someone posts a log asking for help, RESPOND to it! You may politely decline to help, but I think it is rude (or lazy) to just ignore their post for months on end. It appears that you are uninterested not just in your own cache, but in those hunting your cache. Everyone gets busy from time to time, but if you have too many caches to maintain at a high standard, maybe you could offer to give some up for adoption.

;)

2) Edit: Potential finders that think making a general comment about "gee, wish I had some help on this cache" is going to make me take the time to email you about the cache...you want help...take some time your self to send me an email about what you want for help and to what extent...contrary to what you know, I cannot read your mind in order to know what you want or don't want for tips, help or clues...

If you don't have the time to send me an email...well, than I don't have the time either...

HEAR HEAR! This sort of goes along with my peeve in number 1. Basically, don't be "general" when you need to be specific. What do you think about this, however? Do you think it might warrant a quick email by the CO just letting them know you acknowledge they need help? Maybe you could give a little direction such as, "Do you need help with the puzzle or the cache placement?" Or do you think it's better to just ignore it? I wonder if sometimes people want help but aren't sure about how to ask. Dunno...

Here's another topic...maybe better for another thread. What do you do with DNFs after you find the cache at a later date?

The most common and likely the best advice... Leave the DNF in place and simply log your FIND.

It is all part of your search for the cache and part of the overall cache history.

Remember to make references to all DNFs in your Find Log. I had one cache that took me 4 formal logs to make up the Find history. And I'm still going, since I became the semi official keeper of that cache with the agreement of the owner... I keep logging Notes of the RE finds given that it wanders and dissappears frequently. You can always add to the history by commenting on the status of local caches... I simply change the date of my general status checks, so I don't clutter up the logs too much with many of them.

Major items of the history (my notes, of course) I simply cut out the non significant parts.

Have fun!

Doug

The most common and likely the best advice... Leave the DNF in place and simply log your FIND.

It is all part of your search for the cache and part of the overall cache history.

Remember to make references to all DNFs in your Find Log. I had one cache that took me 4 formal logs to make up the Find history. And I'm still going, since I became the semi official keeper of that cache with the agreement of the owner... I keep logging Notes of the RE finds given that it wanders and dissappears frequently. You can always add to the history by commenting on the status of local caches... I simply change the date of my general status checks, so I don't clutter up the logs too much with many of them.

Major items of the history (my notes, of course) I simply cut out the non significant parts.

Have fun!

Doug

I had asked this question before in the forums (I believe) and got a lot of different answers. Here's a question regarding a potential problem with your way of logging: How do you keep track of which caches you have not found? If you change the DNF to a FOUND then it disappears off your DNF list (which makes me happy). If you leave it as DNF and then log a find...it still shows up that you haven't found it on your DNF list. So how do you differentiate between true DNFs and FINDS?

I like the notion of cache history very much...I'm still searching for the best way to handle DNFs, as I log all of mine.

People that refuse to not upgrade to the current version of their chosen web browser. ;)

- Micros that are listed as either "Other" or "Not Chosen".

- Cachers that repeatedly use containers that are not waterproof.

- Cachers that place more caches than they can maintain.

- Cachers that consistently combine the last three points.

Yeah, even the tree-hugging History Channel PROVES nature reclaims itself with their series on Life After Humans. I swear, some people just wish humans just didn't exist.

Minor off-topic bone of contention. In that series nature reclaimed itself because there were no humans. Not sure what kind of a point you were trying to make.

What about unique containers? Sometimes by listing micro when using a specialty container could give it away. I'm interested in this comment because I've broken this "peeve" before.

lol

Some owners of geocoins want their coins to travel, but without the risk of someone "collecting" (stealing) their coins. So they print a photo of their coin, and release that rather than releasing the actual coin. Some go to the trouble to print a double-sided card with a photo of the front of the coin on one side, and a photo of the back of the coin on the other side. I've even seen one that attached trimmed photos to a washer, and then put the washer in a plastic coin case.

Anyway, I'm one of the people who likes helping real coins travel, but doesn't bother moving coin proxies.

Horses are herbivores, dogs are carnivores. We are carnivores, too, and we share many more potential parasites and diseases with dogs than we do with horses.

In other words, dog poo is a biohazard; horse poo is not.

Pet peeve: Micros hidden in places that could easily hold a regular sized cache.

How do you keep track of which caches you have not found? If you change the DNF to a FOUND then it disappears off your DNF list (which makes me happy). If you leave it as DNF and then log a find...it still shows up that you haven't found it on your DNF list. So how do you differentiate between true DNFs and FINDS?
When I use the "filter out finds" option on the web site, or the "I haven't found" option in PQs, then:

Caches that I DNFed and still haven't found show up.

Caches that I DNFed and later found do not show up.

Edited by niraD

Pet peeve: Micros hidden in places that could easily hold a regular sized cache.

Ooooo, yes - big time peeve for me. I'm especially peeved when 2 micros are placed in a small woodlot taking up the whole thing so there's no chance for a regular size cache to be planted.

What about unique containers? Sometimes by listing micro when using a specialty container could give it away. I'm interested in this comment because I've broken this "peeve" before.

That's part of the problem, so many nano hiders list them as "other" or "not chosen" when they should be listed as "micro". I used to filter out only "micros" but now I filter out "micros" AND "other" AND "not chosen" because 80+% are nanos. AS a result I end up missing out on the unique containers that get listed as "other" or "not chosen" in order to not spoil the surprise. Maybe we need a "don't want to spoil the surprise" option.

Remember that the attributes feature was added to the site after many caches had already been placed, so there are lots of older caches still out there that were never edited to include attributes after the fact.

NO ATTRIBUTES!!! :unsure: I don't understand why some COs do not include them. Maybe lazy? It's nice to know if a cache is winter friendly. We get a little snow here in Minnesota.

:unsure:

2) EditAddition: Potential finders that think making a general comment in their note or DNF log along the lines about "gee, wish I had some help on this cache" is going to make me take the time to email you about the cache...you want help...take some time your self to send me an email about what you want for help and to what extent...contrary to what you know, I cannot read your mind in order to know what you want or don't want for tips, help or clues...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I read my log notifications...but, those, along with my emails are sent to an address I can access easily...the website...not so much...and by the time I do get back to a computer to log on, find your profile and write a message to you...it is usually when to long for me to remember...However, send me an email...and I will respond almost immediately...

I agree, though I would not consider it a big enough problem to be a pet peeve.

People that refuse to not upgrade to the current version of their chosen web browser. :unsure:

- Cachers that repeatedly use containers that are not waterproof.

- Cachers that place more caches than they can maintain.

Minor off-topic bone of contention. In that series nature reclaimed itself because there were no humans. Not sure what kind of a point you were trying to make.

I was responding to the post that mentioned archiving a cache, go back a year later, and see that in most cases, nature recovers. That was my point.. I was in agreement. But when you trimmed the quote from my post you removed the context. Not sure what your point was in responding quoting only MY statement rather than the entire post. See the other thread about confessing your sins please.

Some owners of geocoins want their coins to travel, but without the risk of someone "collecting" (stealing) their coins. So they print a photo of their coin, and release that rather than releasing the actual coin. Some go to the trouble to print a double-sided card with a photo of the front of the coin on one side, and a photo of the back of the coin on the other side. I've even seen one that attached trimmed photos to a washer, and then put the washer in a plastic coin case.

Anyway, I'm one of the people who likes helping real coins travel, but doesn't bother moving coin proxies.

Wow, people actually STEAL the coins? Again...wow. That's really low. I have a traveling patch at the moment and haven't had any issues yet. It's headed to Ireland. :unsure:

How do you keep track of which caches you have not found? If you change the DNF to a FOUND then it disappears off your DNF list (which makes me happy). If you leave it as DNF and then log a find...it still shows up that you haven't found it on your DNF list. So how do you differentiate between true DNFs and FINDS?
When I use the "filter out finds" option on the web site, or the "I haven't found" option in PQs, then:

Caches that I DNFed and still haven't found show up.

Caches that I DNFed and later found do not show up.

This is a really good idea. I think I'm going to adopt your method and start leaving my DNFs as part of the cache history. I'll have to get over the fact it makes me feel like I failed...lol.

My big one is...

Hiding a Ccahe with no Stashnote, and nothing to describe what it is, especially a Cache that is desribed as a good place for Bugs/Coins. I have a supply of laminated stashnotes to drop in Ccahes that need one, but I don't always have one.

What exactly is this? Do you mean, a note describing the cache and the cache name and that sort of thing? What about for micros/nanos? How do you use generic laminated stashnotes? Do you use a marker or something to write on them?

Horses are herbivores, dogs are carnivores. We are carnivores, too, and we share many more potential parasites and diseases with dogs than we do with horses.

Humans are omnivores. Dogs are primarily carnivores but the domesticated dog is more of an omnivore if their dog food contents are examined.

Dogs don't share many diseases with humans but can share diseases with horses.

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

Humans are omnivores. Dogs are primarily carnivores but the domesticated dog is more of an omnivore if their dog food contents are examined.

Dogs don't share many diseases with humans but can share diseases with horses.

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

We used to have a problem with pet owners leaving their pet waste everywhere, until we decided to doo something about it.

My big one is...

Hiding a Ccahe with no Stashnote, and nothing to describe what it is, especially a Cache that is desribed as a good place for Bugs/Coins. I have a supply of laminated stashnotes to drop in Ccahes that need one, but I don't always have one.

What exactly is this? Do you mean, a note describing the cache and the cache name and that sort of thing? What about for micros/nanos?

The smallest laminated Stashnotes I have are a little less than a postage stamp. I've created my own abreviated version, and make them 2x4 inches and smaller, then laminate them. I use them down to film can sizes, but ususlly not smaller than that. If a Cache contains no Trade/Trackables, I could care less if it gets muggled, but Caches that contain items that might look like cool stuff for a muggle to run off with really should have a note inside them explaining what the box is, and how the game is played(Including that it should be left in place, as other people will be looking for it).

In the Hide a Cache section, you can see links to a few versions of the official Stashnote.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

How do you use generic laminated stashnotes? Do you use a marker or something to write on them?

I don't add the specific Cache info, just the basics of

This is a Geocache...Here's how to play...Please leave it here...Here's the website.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

The smallest laminated Stashnotes I have are a little less than a postage stamp. I've created my own abreviated version, and make them 2x4 inches and smaller, then laminate them. I use them down to film can sizes, but ususlly not smaller than that. If a Cache contains no Trade/Trackables, I could care less if it gets muggled, but Caches that contain items that might look like cool stuff for a muggle to run off with really should have a note inside them explaining what the box is, and how the game is played(Including that it should be left in place, as other people will be looking for it).

In the Hide a Cache section, you can see links to a few versions of the official Stashnote.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

I like it!

How about when you find a micro, as in a film cannister, in a very muggle filled area and you have to unroll the log and search for the last entry. It takes you longer to fill in the log sheet than it did to find the cache! In locations were you need to be fast and stealthy, I allways roll up the log so the next finder only has to un-roll it slightly to sign it.

I hate hints that say something like "just left of the big rock". Would that be your left or my left?

Edited by private pudding

I allways roll up the log so the next finder only has to un-roll it slightly to sign it.

Dude, I'm so glad to hear there are cachers out there who think like I do. I do this as well.

I hate hints that say something like "just left of the big rock". Would that be your left or my left?

lol. :unsure: Yet even more instances of imprecise people! Haha

Have fun!

Doug

I had asked this question before in the forums (I believe) and got a lot of different answers. Here's a question regarding a potential problem with your way of logging: How do you keep track of which caches you have not found? If you change the DNF to a FOUND then it disappears off your DNF list (which makes me happy). If you leave it as DNF and then log a find...it still shows up that you haven't found it on your DNF list. So how do you differentiate between true DNFs and FINDS?

I like the notion of cache history very much...I'm still searching for the best way to handle DNFs, as I log all of mine.

That is not only good advice, but in the opinion of almost all of us here, the ONLY way to handle a DNF. Nobody should even consider changing a DNF to a Found It, unless the DNF was logged by mistake. In my opinion, the SEC should be in charge of watching for those things, if not the dreaded Sarbanes and Oxley!

Have fun!

Doug

That is not only good advice, but in the opinion of almost all of us here, the ONLY way to handle a DNF. Nobody should even consider changing a DNF to a Found It, unless the DNF was logged by mistake. In my opinion, the SEC should be in charge of watching for those things, if not the dreaded Sarbanes and Oxley!

Well, I started implementing this tonight. I logged my second DNF on the same cache tonight. Haha. Usually I'd do just one and then change it later when I found it. In my defense, there was no clear method divulged when I posted this same question weeks ago. Everyone had a different opinion about it and none were as good as this idea presented here, in my opinion. It might be nice for TPTB to have more specific logging guidelines so that everyone could be on the same page.

A few things came to mind while scanning though previous posts...

Listed in no particular order:

• Active cache owners who place tons of caches but never maintain any of them.
  • Missing travel bugs (frequently exacerbated by an MIA CO)
  • Pill bottle's used as caches... Like, seriously, put it at the bottom of a place that collects water, dufus.
  • Worthless hints - "You'll know it when you see it!" - yeah, thanks alot.
  • Micros where a 50 gallon oil drum could have been hidden with ease.
  • Having a small cache go missing before the next person even looks for it.
  • People who don't log DNFs or make up stupid conditions to justify not logging a DNF.
  • "TFTC" - If you want to express thanks then at-least use whole words. If your not really thankful, then don't lie.
  • Muggles who just won't go away! Really lady, you just HAD to sit there in your car in front of the cache for 30 min.
  • Cache pages that show zero effort.

Yeah, I realize my "Pet Pieves" may be entirely unreasonable/silly/futile. I don't take any of them that seriously... no lost sleep:).

I allways roll up the log so the next finder only has to un-roll it slightly to sign it.

Dude, I'm so glad to hear there are cachers out there who think like I do. I do this as well.

I hate it when I unroll a micro log and then realize too late that it was rolled in a way that I could have signed it without unrolling it. :) That's the penalty of trying to be too quick, and then making it longer for myself. :unsure:

One local cacher that is really into geocoins takes a photo of both sides of a coin, writes down the tracking number and a "discover me" note, laminates then adds it to new caches she places. She calls them "resident geocoins" that can be discovered by anyone that finds the cache. I rarely remember to write down the number and have seen most of the original coins in her collection anyway.

Still... SoCal... Just the term itself... 'SoCal'

Yup. It sounds like a brand name for a laxative. If Billy Mays were still with us, I'd bet he'd be selling bottles of SoCal for $19.95.

But wait... That's not all!

Sounds fishy, don't you think?

Well... He is a fish... Just sayin'...

(OK, technically, he's a mammal, but bottle nose dolphins taste a lot like sea bass)