A Few Etiquette Questions

Atropos3

Just a couple of questions. I did a search but didn't find anything in the first couple of pages..

What is the etiquette regarding posting photos of the cache site when you post your log? Is it ok to post photos that may contain spoilers? Is it ok to post a photo of the cache itself? If there is identifiable information on the cache (like an email address or number) should you avoid posting a photo where that info is readable? What about putting all that on my blog (linked in my siggy) where I will put much more detailed accounts of my find and how I got to it?

My next question is log signing. When you sign a log should you put your real name, geocache nickname or both?

I know the rule concerning items is trade even or trade up, but if there is a really expensive item in the cache does the rule still apply?

If you are having trouble finding a cache and have attempted it several times, is it acceptable to email the owner and ask for a hint?

This isn't an etiquette question, but I am curious...in general, how is the GeoCaching community towards Newbies? I know in a lot of arenas, n00bs are considered dog meat and treated as such. How is that here?

Photo's: All photos are generally welcome but do try to keep in mind that a lot of work can go into a special container or hide style. When you post a photo of those -you can ruin the intended experience. Common containers and hide styles should be no problem.

Signiture: most folks sign thier Geocaching name

Trading: yup - the trade up or trade even applies to anything at all that you find. Unless it is labeled as a FTF gift. If you find a $100 bill - gotta find something of equal value if you want to take it.

Hints: Most owners don't mind giving a hint as long as you posted DNF logs previously.

Newbies are generally as welcome as anybody - of course a few bad apples exist in any community.

What StarBrand said...

Plus

Photographs: We love to see photographs added to logs but would prefer they were not taken right at the final hide location... Taken 20 - 30 ft away is better. If it's some sort of puzzle or mystery cache then be very careful about giving away any clues in the general 'background' of the photos.

Trading for a special item: Many cachers don't bother to trade at all but it's always worth keeping an extra-good swag item in your pocket for that unexpected swag find. Sometime a very generous cacher will leave an unactivated geocoin as swag and you need something very nice to trade for one of those shiny things :unsure:

Hints: We're happy to give extra hints once the cache has had its FTF visit but we would expect to see a DNF log first.

Welcome, Newbie :D

MrsB

Just a couple of questions. I did a search but didn't find anything in the first couple of pages.. What is the etiquette regarding posting photos of the cache site when you post your log? Is it ok to post photos that may contain spoilers? Is it ok to post a photo of the cache itself?

Spoilers are unlikely to be appreciated by the cache owner. Photos of the cache in its hiding place or of uniquely camoflaged containers are usually considered to be off limits. Posting photos of a basic cache is no prob with most cache owners. Look through my gallery and you will find dozens of these kinds of photos and I' ve never had an owner object. Just try to make sure there is no giveaway in the photo. I usually move a short way from the cache and make sure there are no spoilers in the background before snapping a photo. If it is a fake rock, sprinkler head, pine cone, etc. photos are not likely to be appreciated by the cache owner.

If there is identifiable information on the cache (like an email address or number) should you avoid posting a photo where that info is readable? What about putting all that on my blog (linked in my siggy) where I will put much more detailed accounts of my find and how I got to it?

Could vary. In one respect the cache owner put the e-mail addr out there but he may not appreciate it being posted on the Internet for anyone to see. When in doubt, leave it out

My next question is log signing. When you sign a log should you put your real name, geocache nickname or both?

At one time I did both and someone seeing my real name in a cache log wound up with me connecting with a family friend. Generally people use their caching name and that's what I do now simply because that is the name other geocachers know me by. When you log online you are using your geocaching name and any cache owner who checks the physical logs vs. the paper log will look for the geocaching name, so always use that. If you want to add your real name that is up to you. Who knows, the next finder may be a long lost childhood buddy - or somebody from your past who you would like to avoid.

I know the rule concerning items is trade even or trade up, but if there is a really expensive item in the cache does the rule still apply?

To an extent, but if you find a $100 GPS in the cache I'm fairly sure that the person who put it there didn't expect you to have a $100 trade item in your pack. Few cache owners expect you to sit there with a calculator and appraise the value of the trade. Just don't leave a marble and call it even. Maybe you can leave the nice Mini Mag Lite you have in your pack or something like that.

If you are having trouble finding a cache and have attempted it several times, is it acceptable to email the owner and ask for a hint?

It is fine to ask. Some cache owners will help and some won't.

This isn't an etiquette question, but I am curious...in general, how is the GeoCaching community towards Newbies? I know in a lot of arenas, n00bs are considered dog meat and treated as such. How is that here?

We love newbies, especially with a little salt and Tabasco. Seriously, no newbie who comes here with earnest questions and opinions will have a hard time. Newbies who enter the forums with guns blazing and making unwarranted assumptions or proclaiming that they know better about how the sport should be played could justifiably expect some pushback. Judging from this post it's nothing you have to worry about.

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to respond. Your answers have been very helpful!

I have a couple of follow-up questions, if you don't mind.

Concerning item value. I'm a crafty sort and I intend to make some of my tradables. I was thinking about making cool looking pouches (suitable for pens, GPSr, tradables) that could be worn around the neck, decorative dangles, patches, etc....how should I rate the value of these items? The cost of the materials alone? Materials + Labor? Or what I would charge for the item on Etsy?

Another question about DNFs. Should you post a DNF any time you manage not to find a cache even if you intend to go back or only when you've given up?

Concerning value:

You should assign whatever reasonable value to a hand-crafted item that you desire.

HOWEVER -- (you may not be aware of this, yet) -- the trade items within a cache have a tendency to degrade in value. That is, your perception of value (purchased or hand-made) may not be another's perception of value. Then too (a little negativity here), there seems to be a number of people that don't give a hoot about value, as long as they "trade" something! Your crafted item may well be traded for a rusty wing nut, or a well used golf ball.

DNF:

Anytime you physically look for a cache and do not find it warrants a DNF. If you drive up and there are too many muggles about, or the snow is approaching 10 ft in depth, so you never actually look for it, then it warrants either a no log or a "note" log.

Hope this helps, to any degree. :D

Welcome.

Another question about DNFs. Should you post a DNF any time you manage not to find a cache even if you intend to go back or only when you've given up?

My rule for DNF is if I expend time looking for it and can't find it, then it deserves a log entry. An especially tough find may take several visits before finding it. Each visit would get a DNF.

Regarding the photo's.

On the Dutch geocaching forum a discussion started about the geolocation present in the exif information of a photo. For instance, an Oregon 550T can make photo's and add the gps coordinates to the exif-information. How about those photo's being uploaded to the log of a mystery?

Jan

Regarding the photo's.

On the Dutch geocaching forum a discussion started about the geolocation present in the exif information of a photo. For instance, an Oregon 550T can make photo's and add the gps coordinates to the exif-information. How about those photo's being uploaded to the log of a mystery?

Jan

That may not be a good idea. Is it possible to deactivate the lat/long imprint? I wouldn't think it would be necessary to have that imprint unless one wanted it to be a spoiler. :D

My rule for DNF is if I expend time looking for it and can't find it, then it deserves a log entry. An especially tough find may take several visits before finding it. Each visit would get a DNF.

I'm a newbie and am too embarrassed to post the DNF more than once on the same cache; but once I did go back and edited a log entry, saying I've tried again and again, think I know where it is but just don't see it yet. On several caches, I'm still the last one posting a DNF while others continue to find them. One of those caches has been called tough to find, still; I wonder how many people never post DNFs there. A magnetic one is probably disguised too well as something else. Good thread, I'm learning. :D

I'll have to disagree with the previous poster. If you get to ground zero and find the cache is under 10 feet of snow it's a perfect reason to log a DNF. That will be helpful to the next person who may be thinking of hunting it.

I'll even log a DNF if I abandon the hunt because of too many passersby. That could alert future searchers that there may be a better time of day to attempt it.

If I begin the hunt and come up empty I log a DNF. The reason is irrelevant. I define start of the hunt as the moment I call up the cache coords on my GPS and hit GO TO.

I'll have to disagree with the previous poster. If you get to ground zero and find the cache is under 10 feet of snow it's a perfect reason to log a DNF. That will be helpful to the next person who may be thinking of hunting it.

I'll even log a DNF if I abandon the hunt because of too many passersby. That could alert future searchers that there may be a better time of day to attempt it.

If I begin the hunt and come up empty I log a DNF. The reason is irrelevant. I define start of the hunt as the moment I call up the cache coords on my GPS and hit GO TO.

I agree with this line of thinking about DNFs.

The only thing here that I disagree with is the definition of start of the hunt. I define it as actively searching for the cache. If I reach ground zero (or try to reach ground zero but fail) but don't actively search for the cache, then I post a DNS ("Did Not Search") as a Note. But if I start searching, then I post either a DNF or a Find.

Besides, the "call up the cache coords on my GPS" definition doesn't work when you don't use a GPSr... :D

Regarding the photo's.

Jan

That may not be a good idea. Is it possible to deactivate the lat/long imprint? I wouldn't think it would be necessary to have that imprint unless one wanted it to be a spoiler. :rolleyes:

Good question, don't know that GPS unit. I was basically just copying in the remark in the Dutch forum. The general idea there is the same, remove if possible. But it looks like you will have to download the photo before being able to check the exif info. May be it is possible to remove the exif information automaticcaly when uploading the photo to a log?

Just to add to the DNF question - I once logged 2 DNFs on the same cache on the same day. Looked for a while in the morning with no luck. I went on out to a job site and came back by and searched again for a while (after getting a hint from a previous finder). By golly, I think I earned both of those DNFs :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to respond. Your answers have been very helpful!

I have a couple of follow-up questions, if you don't mind.

Concerning item value. I'm a crafty sort and I intend to make some of my tradables. I was thinking about making cool looking pouches (suitable for pens, GPSr, tradables) that could be worn around the neck, decorative dangles, patches, etc....how should I rate the value of these items? The cost of the materials alone? Materials + Labor? Or what I would charge for the item on Etsy?

As others have said, value your homemade goods as you see fit. I personally love to find handmade things. Anyone can go to the dollar store or walmart. I appreciate it when someone makes something specifically just for caching.

Bruce.

With regards DNFs I'd say log a DNF any time you think the information would be useful to the owner or other cachers. If the cache is under several feet of snow or the cache area is flooded, if the cache area is closed off due to maintenance or building work, or if the hint points to a very specific hiding place and you genuinely think the cache may be missing. All these sorts of reasons are good reasons to log a DNF and let the owner and other cachers know what possible problems there may be with the cache.

If a cache is missing or inaccessible and nobody logs DNFs then other cachers are still going to be wasting their time looking for the cache.

If you don't want to log the dreaded DNF, you could always log a Note and write whatever explanation you think is appropriate. I did that on one where the coordinates had been updated after I downloaded them and before I went hunting. I'll wait till I'm on location with the correct coordinates before I decide that I couldn't find it.

I agree with this line of thinking about DNFs.

I also agree... There is no stat that track DNF's. I would say that is you look.... log it some how....

If you don't want to log the dreaded DNF...

Why should a DNF be dreaded? It's just a log type. If I dreaded not finding a cache I probably wouldn't bother geocaching. Coming up empty happens a lot and I'm not going to do something that gives me a pretty good chance of something dreadful happening.

If you don't want to log the dreaded DNF, you could always log a Note and write whatever explanation you think is appropriate. I did that on one where the coordinates had been updated after I downloaded them and before I went hunting. I'll wait till I'm on location with the correct coordinates before I decide that I couldn't find it.

have some PRIDE, man!

you earn every DNF you get. don't slink away in shame. if you could find everythign you looked for, it wouldn't be much of a sport!

you want to have some fun? get up at four in the morning to drive across two mountain ranges and then when you get there spend three hours leaping from tussock to tussock in a hip-deep swamp with mosquitoes so large they have to register with the FAA.

come back bruised, bleeding, wet, filthy, and swollen and write for everyone to see that you couldn't find anything.

then you'll be a real cacher, my son.

Hints: Most owners don't mind giving a hint as long as you posted DNF logs previously.

Hints: We're happy to give extra hints once the cache has had its FTF visit but we would expect to see a DNF log first.

It is fine to ask. Some cache owners will help and some won't.

A little more on the subject of hints and assistance. . .

You may improve (but not guarentee) your success if you let the cache owner what you have done (where you were searching and for how long) and, in the case of puzzle caches, what progress you have made (your solution to the puzzle, or methods to solve the puzzle).