Add a Permit Required (block / section) to cache listings

GIDEON-X

Provide a space on the cache page to list any permits that are required to enter / be on the area land, where the cache is located or has to be crossed to get to the cache

Myself I do put this info on the cache page, but then there are a lot of cacher's that don't read the pages, just load and go..........and then there that are those caught with out the proper permit and get fined

Edited by GIDEON-X

Provide a space on the cache page to list any permits that are required to enter / be on the area land, where the cache is located or has to be crossed to get to the cache

Same here. I just include it in the Description somewhere. I'm not sure I need another text box for this type of information though. Just seems like another level of complexity to an already complex system.

.........and then there that are those caught with out the proper permit and get fined

I'm afraid there's no cure for that problem :rolleyes:

In my experience such land is usually clearly marked before you get out on it

In my area there are unmarked properties where only hunters with Special Opportunity hunt permits are allowed to be during the Special Opportunity hunts. There are FWC officers at the drive in gates, they'll turn away anyone without a permit, but the many walk-in gates are unmarked re special hunt closures. Some of these properties have a piece of the Florida trail, and through-hikers are not restricted. But if you're off that trail, you got trouble. Fine is $90.

I wonder about a Permit Attribute?

for my caches, that would be seasonal. No permit required mostly, but sometimes - and then the permit is a lottery drawn special opportunity hunting license.

If you don't read the short description or the cache description, you probably won't notice the attribute either. The good thing that might come from these fines, is that at least some people might learn that cache descriptions are more than just wasted space

Myself I do put this info on the cache page, but then there are a lot of cacher's that don't read the pages, just load and go..........and then there that are those caught with out the proper permit and get fined

That you put it in the cache description is enough. That they can get fined can happen with or without a cache so it's not specific to your cache or any other. Access is part of the challenge and if someone can't read the cache page or just took a hike on an idle afternoon the result is the same. They need a permit in your state. My state doesn't require them. Other states are more restrictive about trust lands for no particularly good reason.

Seems like something that doesn't apply to most caches and is somewhat random even with the caches where it does sometimes apply. If there were fields for every potential variable each cache page would be a small book... sort of like going through an income tax from. :rolleyes:

Edited by edscott

...and then there that are those caught with out the proper permit and get fined[/i][/b]

Ha! Looks like someone got their panties in a twist. Seriously, Fined for not having a sheet of paper with you? What is this Hunting Season for that illusive Weef?

The Steaks

Myself I do put this info on the cache page, but then there are a lot of cacher's that don't read the pages

And they would read it because it's in a special field? (also, per 9Key, 15 yard penalty for illegal use of aphostrophe).

Quick!!!! Throw the red flag.... your "It's" is OK. You're using the contraction for "it is", a legal usage. It's the "it's" as a possessive that's illegal. ;):D:o:)

Myself I do put this info on the cache page, but then there are a lot of cacher's that don't read the pages

And they would read it because it's in a special field? (also, per 9Key, 15 yard penalty for illegal use of aphostrophe).

Quick!!!! Throw the red flag.... your "It's" is OK. You're using the contraction for "it is", a legal usage. It's the "it's" as a possessive that's illegal. ;):D:o:)

"I think everybody has to have an English teacher like Mrs. Bosch if you want to learn to write well. Mrs. Bosch is the English teacher who, with withering sarcasm, dismisses all the errors and grammatical solecisms in her students' papers. So somebody has the misfortune to write, Having been thrown in the air, the dog caught the stick, or something like that. And Mrs. Bosch is the one who says, The poor dog being thrown in the air like that, and you're in seventh grade or eighth grade and you laugh. You're being let in on this secret."

"So you have to have a teacher like that, and then at some point later in life you have to renounce her and then finally forgive her, and that's the point at which you become, let me say, a mature speaker of English, and the trouble is that a lot of people kind of never get over that moment."

"They're the people who write comments on any blog entry or newspaper article that involves grammar, going on sarcastically about someone else's use of language. And the sarcasm that people apply to language is really something that they learn in seventh grade and kind of never overcome, and it's what's wrong with the way people think about language nowadays."

[...]

"Well, I don't think the motivation is merely to inform someone else. That can be done when it's appropriate, and it usually isn't. But when it's appropriate, it can be done graciously, without sarcasm."

"The sarcasm comes when, oh, I don't know, somebody writes in broad daylight and somebody says, well, could there have been narrow daylight? And it's this adolescent way of congratulating yourself on having mastered the elements of English grammar when you were 13. And it's kind of stupid because the things you learn at 13, while they're the basics, are hardly the source of - should hardly be the source of enormous self-esteem."

"I mean, if it's really a source of self-esteem for you that you know the correct rules for using apostrophe, maybe you should get out more."

- Geoff Nunberg, linguist, author, and chairman emeritus of the Usage Panel of the American Heritage Dictionary, Fresh Air, 2009-06-03

:lol:

Just a "Thanks" to the Adder's Subtractor's and Commentors's on my Rant..........True we do not really need another box / square / tab to check or fill in and as stated the non-readers are still going to be non readers.........Because when they ain't got none....they don't have any.........or some such. All Stay Well And Enjoy!!

NOTE: Edit at the request of "Lil Devil"

Edited by GIDEON-X
"I mean, if it's really a source of self-esteem for you that you know the correct rules for using apostrophe, maybe you should get out more."

Thanks Prime, I'll try to keep that in mind - later. :lol: For now, I'll mention to edscot that my call wasn't on my own correct use of the apostrophe in "it's", the call was on the apostrophe in "cacher's" in the first post. "Cachers" in that sentence is plural, not possessive.

And it (the call by me) was pointless. I promise to do better. No more grammarian notes. Ever. I'll get out more too! whoop. Me, out, more.

Do you suppose it's too late for me to change my username from Isonzo Karst to GrammarianNotes?

edit, grammar ;-)

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Allthough this' topic 's'eemed to have turn'd 'nto a discussion 'bout ', i would like to argue in favour of a permit/license attribute of some sorts.

We're currently living in Qatar; about 10% of the caches here are located on a US Military base. There's no way we'd be able to search any of these as we don't have the proper ID to get onto the base.

It would be helpful if these caches could be filtered out (in a PQ) using an attribute or something similar.

Addtionally, having such an attribute would also make it possible to create a list of all caches where a permit is needed; handy to start calling around to get the required permissions.

.....and then there that are those caught with out the proper permit and get fined[/i][/b]
about 10% of the caches here are located on a US Military base. There's no way we'd be able to search any of these as we don't have the proper ID to get onto the base.

I can understand the military base thing, but are there really areas where the finder has to get a permit to find a cache? I know that in some places the hider has to get a permit to hide a cache, but for the finder to get a permit to find it just seems silly.

I can understand the military base thing, but are there really areas where the finder has to get a permit to find a cache? I know that in some places the hider has to get a permit to hide a cache, but for the finder to get a permit to find it just seems silly.

There are several examples that have already been given in the thread. In addition to military bases,

• Special hunting areas (during certain periods)
  • Indian reservations
  • Some wilderness areas
  • Private property (cache is place with permission, but cachers are asked to check-in with security before searching for the cache)

If there is a fee we already have the Fee Required attribute fee-yes.gif. Maybe we need something for when there is no fee but you still need a permit or permission to enter.